Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fat & Single

You are going to build a Ti Fat Bike ?

So which one do you go for ?

Theres Fatback, 9:zero:7, Carver, Sandman, Salsa and a few other nice frames ......

Now the only one i can get in Oz without importing it is a Carver O'Beast.

I am going to ride this bike 95% single track/ 5% sand, loving my Mukluk but got some surplus to lose a bit of weight. Im selling an expensive FS bike to fund this project because i reckon fat is the way to go.

Opinions please and thanks in advance
    Last edited by ozzybmx; 05-08-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Dirt Huffer
    I cant really comment on any of those bikes because everyone likes something different, but I can say that building up a fat bike frame has been a hellva lot of fun for me. I started my project about 2months ago and I have to say, if you're not in a rush to get it built, it can be cheaper and better then anything that comes pre-built.
    26" for life!!

=========
    Add Moots, Vertigo, Quiring, Twentytwo & Blacksheep, to your choices for Ti Fatties.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For singletrack the Sandman would be had to beat, with the answer forks.

=========
    Lynskey too...
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    did you mean Flame??
    Same thing, I thought.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Black Sheep rising
    Current ride:

Next one will likely be a Black Sheep though...
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I am going to ride this bike 95% single track/ 5% sand, loving my Mukluk but got some surplus to lose a bit of weight. Im selling an expensive FS bike to fund this project because i reckon fat is the way to go.

Opinions please and thanks in advance
    I'd consider an AL fat bike and spending the differential on the lightest parts that will suit your needs. There is probably less than 1lb difference between a Ti and an AL fatbike and quite likely less than 0.5lbs depending on which ones are comparing.

You can save more weight if you throw a lot of money at the wheels and other parts.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myheadsashed View Post
    For singletrack the Sandman would be had to beat, with the answer forks.
    did you mean Flame??

Enthusiast
    Jun 2009
    Just switched from a Pugsley to a Ti Fatback made by Lynskey. Very very pleased with the ride quality so far. Considerably lighter and more agile than the Pugs. Paired with a Lefty it is a blast on singletrack and techy rock.

Weight savings from Al to Ti may be nominal, there are much cheaper ways to save weight. What you are paying for is the feel of the material, specific geometry of the frame, and bling factor. Would you prefer the (Mukluk) upright riding position or more aggressive one, what length of wheelbase, and 135 or 170mm rear. If you want to go very fast on rough trails a front suspension does wonders but will cost you 3+ pounds and options are somewhat limited...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Same thing, I thought.
    the german-a flame is produced/manuf in germany and as far as i can tell answer products have 2 distribution points, WI USA and Taiwan. Perhaps you were thinking of Manitou??

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Form Cycles is making fatties too!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Here's a vote for Twenty2. Light, fast, fun, beautifully made,professional company, responsive and great to deal with. A few other reasons for going Ti: no worries about rust or paint, and you can renew the finish easily. Durable, generally good resale value. Arguably the best material for a mountain bike frame if cost is not a factor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You are going to build a Ti Fat Bike ?-bully-hds.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the german-a flame is produced/manuf in germany and as far as i can tell answer products have 2 distribution points, WI USA and Taiwan. Perhaps you were thinking of Manitou??
    The "A" in German:A is Answer. Not sure if they're related to the Answer of Manitou fame. german:A. - lightweight bike engineering since 1995 / +49 (0) 60 36 / 98 36 00

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    just wait for the carbon frames to come out.
    (what? SOMEBODY'S gotta do it!)

i wonder if those chinese companies that make the cheap carbon frames share info with the ones that make the cheap ti fatbike frames... because if they do the groundwork for the numbers is all there already.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Fat & Single
    Yous have gave me a lot to think about .... and google
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

ouch....
    I'm guesting that carver will be the first to come out with a full squish, just so happen it'll be ti....that would be my choice.
    Riding.....

A Surly Maverick
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I'm guesting that carver will be the first to come out with a full squish, just so happen it'll be ti....that would be my choice.
    Mine too

Emailed Davis and ETA is approx 3 weeks
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    The "A" in German:A is Answer. Not sure if they're related to the Answer of Manitou fame. german:A. - lightweight bike engineering since 1995 / +49 (0) 60 36 / 98 36 00
    good to know thanks.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood ! View Post
    Mine too

Emailed Davis and ETA is approx 3 weeks
    Ooooh so quick!
    Must start eating ramen noodles and saving pennies lol. So sweet.
    Riding.....

mtbr member

Satisfied with Salsa

While it's probably not up to the level of artistry (or price) of some of the custom builders out there, I am extremely pleased with my Salsa Ti Mukluk. I also own a Seven Verve singlespeed and a Merlin Ultralight which it certainly compares quite favorably to.

In spite of the snow in the photo below, I live in San Diego and this bike gets ridden extensively on rock studded trails where the compliance of the frame and tires makes the lack of suspension a non-issue. I have no intention of ever adding a suspension fork to this frame and it has served me very well on rides up to 40 miles long, as well as ones I normally take my 8" travel freeride bike on. As shown, it weighs about 30 pounds.

Ultimately, it's your money, but you certainly won't go wrong or be disappointed with Ti. It's an absolutely stunning material for a bike frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You are going to build a Ti Fat Bike ?-small-snow_02.jpg  

Fat Biker
    Yep, already in the cue

Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    Next one will likely be a Black Sheep though...
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

Fat & Single
    Thats a nice Ti Muk
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention View Post
    While it's probably not up to the level of artistry (or price) of some of the custom builders out there....
    I thought the Salsa Ti frames were made by a big American builder? Should be the same quality as any top-notch Ti frame, just not custom.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention View Post
    While it's probably not up to the level of artistry (or price) of some of the custom builders out there, I am extremely pleased with my Salsa Ti Mukluk. I also own a Seven Verve singlespeed and a Merlin Ultralight which it certainly compares quite favorably to.

In spite of the snow in the photo below, I live in San Diego and this bike gets ridden extensively on rock studded trails where the compliance of the frame and tires makes the lack of suspension a non-issue. I have no intention of ever adding a suspension fork to this frame and it has served me very well on rides up to 40 miles long, as well as ones I normally take my 8" travel freeride bike on. As shown, it weighs about 30 pounds.

Ultimately, it's your money, but you certainly won't go wrong or be disappointed with Ti. It's an absolutely stunning material for a bike frame.
    Very nice - Darryls or Marge Lites on there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast