mtbr member
    Jan 2014

You either know or you don't.

Been a contractor for 40+ years. I've learned one of the most important lessons for anyone trying to figure out what you need or how to do it. I've had to ask many questions and do a lot of research in the many things that I do. Never been afraid to ask for advice or information (or even if I'm lost and I'm a guy). The lesson I've learned is to ask, "Do you know for sure?" This has saved me countless hours and many dollars.

The thing I've noticed when on this Fatbike forum is that there is a wealth of knowledge to be garnered here, and I thank all those that help each of us out. We do have another type that likes to speculate, guess or disseminate as fact or malign a product or a company without any basis. I would ask those folks to take pity on those of us who are just relearning about bikes and kindly state, "I don't know for sure, but it's my best guess.

When I'm at a Big Box Store/Hardware Store/Building Wholesaler and somebody says, "I don't know", I always thank them and say "That's the best thing you could have said".

So thank you guys that are knowledgeable, helpful and positive and the others please think what you actually know or don't

Nuts

This thread was was just missing something.
    And I love beer!!

PRETENDURO
    Toptube nutslap for teh w1n.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Your appreciation is appreciated! I probably didn't help you because I'm a pompous windbag, but I get where you're coming from.

I once had a hipster-level RARE software bug I was trying to solve with a frustrating proof of concept. If I could prove the concept I could fix something that had irritated thousands of people for years. I searched and searched and ended up finding a cruical blog post by some dude in the same field. He was one of very people who had delved into the same stupid niche I put myself in. Because of his little nugget of info, I was able to move on and ended up making a few grand in donations after releasing the project as freeware.

That was in 2008. I still think about that guy occasionally. He was critical to enabling me to accomplish something really hard and truly special, it was a serious confidence boost. He probably thought the post was dumb while he was typing it. Far as I'm concerned I owe the guy money. You just never know.

This is also why I dislike using acronyms for product names. If you try to search, entire threads full of "RD" will be glossed over in the results returned for someone searching for "Rolling Darryl". This nitpick is a part of my job, do not truncate information unless you need to especially when asking for free help.

Anyway. People who help with no thought of reward - even to the extent that whatever they have to say might languish in some digital void never to be read by anyone - are a joy to be around.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am not in the know!

What are we talking about again?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    When I first came on here, my knowledge of things bicycle were well below par, if someone asked me a question about geometry, fit, etc, my response would have been...huh?

My first problem was to define myself, never mind what others said. It was the realization that what is best is purely subjective. In truth, there are 'laws' that deliver a line of performance, and they are all tied together in a compromise. This is what you have to figure out for yourself.

The second challenge is to wade through all of the hype. Hype that comes from personal enthusiasm, to that which is designed to produce an outcome...buy this.

Can be a bumpyride at times. Enjoy the ride.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  21.9 KB

ouch....
    I don't know about this thread....
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Been a contractor for 40+ years. I've learned one of the most important lessons for anyone trying to figure out what you need or how to do it. I've had to ask many questions and do a lot of research in the many things that I do. Never been afraid to ask for advice or information (or even if I'm lost and I'm a guy). The lesson I've learned is to ask, "Do you know for sure?" This has saved me countless hours and many dollars.

The thing I've noticed when on this Fatbike forum is that there is a wealth of knowledge to be garnered here, and I thank all those that help each of us out. We do have another type that likes to speculate, guess or disseminate as fact or malign a product or a company without any basis. I would ask those folks to take pity on those of us who are just relearning about bikes and kindly state, "I don't know for sure, but it's my best guess.

When I'm at a Big Box Store/Hardware Store/Building Wholesaler and somebody says, "I don't know", I always thank them and say "That's the best thing you could have said".

So thank you guys that are knowledgeable, helpful and positive and the others please think what you actually know or don't
    my best guess is i might know but then not so sure.

mtbr member
    Get yourself one of these and start your search. Not for water but for truth and accuracy! Good luck. Truth is subjective to every ones beliefs. Accuracy is subjective to education and experience!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  21.4 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Get yourself one of these and start your search. Not for water but for truth and accuracy! Good luck. Truth is subjective to every ones beliefs.
    pretty much politics & religion wrapped into one.

Dr Gadget is IN
    And always remember: YMMV! Your Mileage May Vary!
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Chris Bling
    I think you are mistaken, there is no mis-information on MTBR....
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I think you are mistaken, there is no mis-information on MTBR....
    "You can believe everything you read on the internet, that's how it works!" - Abe Lincoln
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

ouch....
    Yup...everybody knows, if it's on the internet, it HAS to be true.

Trust me....
    Riding.....