Thread: Yooper Newb

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Yooper Newb

Hello,

I have recently purchased an older Pugsley as I want to get into better shape and couldn't remember a time that I was more fit than when is was into MTB. Unfortunately, somewhere in my late twenties, my family and career overshadowed myself and I forgot about the simple things. i.e. Cycling and my health.

This past Christmas, my wife and daughter were reminiscing through a box of photos, yes real photos, from back when my daughter was an infant and we were in college. It is amazing how time changes ones appearance was the second thing that I though after I realized the difference in the size of my face. Sure, my frame filled out in the past twenty-some years but not enough to cover the 60lb difference in weight.

That is what leads me to this post. I decided that it is time to change for the better. My daughter is graduation college next month and I want to be around to see her wedding and hopefully babies one day. Now I am the brand new owner of an old Pug. I didn't buy it because it was modern, fast or easy to ride. I bought it because it feels like something between the old fat tire BMX cruiser and hardtail Stumpy that I had back in college.

Welcome the latest to my family, Fat Betty!

Co Springs
    Nice, congrats.

Very forward thinking on this 'get healthy in a biking sort of way'. I see it works for lots of people.
    I think the fats are some of coolest looking bikes out there and I'm sure it'll be a good all around set up for you.
    There are a few threads here on fitness and health and I even look at one for the over 50 gang ... lol.
    Moved to CO in 93 from the Midland/Bay City/Saginaw area, MI native. The "Up North" must have some great fun awaiting you.

** I was riding next to a Pugs last night for 10 miles.

Welcome.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Bach,

Thank you much for the cordial welcome. It's nice to get some focus and back to the pedals. I'm actually planning to try biking the beach on Lake Superior in the AM. It's will be the first time for me. The last time I tried was on my old ProFlex. Needless to say that was just frustrating and resulted in a ton of maintenance.

I am also a MI native, Ontonagon who loved in CO. I was in Aurora from 96-98 before moving to GA. We finally made it back home in 2005.

If it clear, I will post up some sunrise pics over the lake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Welcome to the cult... err club... don't be afraid to drop pressure when riding the beach... I haven't ridden on beaches but when looking for float on snow I roll at 3-4 psi... tires crinkled like a funny car tire...

Did I do that?
    Nov 2015
    Up Fatty

Congrats on the pugs, it looks great. And placed next to that classic Chevy it looks even better. I am with you and a lot of others on here, getting in better shape while having fun. I get out on my fat and it doesn't even seem like work, just a whole lot of fun. Enjoy that bike and one day enjoy those Grandkids.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Today I let a buddy of mine know that I was taking the Pugs out to camp. For those of you who know the UP of MI, this will make perfect sense.

mtbr member
    Have fun on the bike.

The UP is my favorite place. Lucky!
    "Never get out of the boat. Unless your goin' all the way."

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletSlayer View Post
    Have fun on the bike.

The UP is my favorite place. Lucky!
    I wished I lived in the UP. And yeah, I kinda know what that lifestyle is like having grown up in northern PA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by UP Fatty View Post
    Today I let a buddy of mine know that I was taking the Pugs out to camp. For those of you who know the UP of MI, this will make perfect sense.

Awesome pic.

Rural Pennsylvanians would understand this perfectly well