Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty

Got the little beasts in this afternoon.

Had a few odds and ends to wrap up first, but got right down to business as soon as I could. Laced it up offset, turn out I could have gone symmetrical, which I will before riding it, just because.

I've had a huge number of folks wanting to know, will the 29x3 Knard/Rabbit Hole fit a Lefty.

More importantly, will it fit a conventional Lefty, as opposed to the custom offset jobbers required for Fatties.

Yes, they work. Just fine.

Clearance may be a tad close for some, but I think most will find it more than adequate, assuming a nice stiff built wheel.

Travel clearance will need to be on a case by case basis, but the wheel fits the chassis, so the rest is up to ya'll.

In this case, I used a moldy oldy 130 Max. A to C is 510, Krampus fork A to C is 485. I can squeeze about 90 mm out of it as it sits.

So on a Krampus frame, you'd be looking at less travel, a 490 A to C fork like a Speed 110 would likely net around 60 to 70 mm. Respectable, and close enough to keep handling neutral.

Or, toss a longer fork on your bigger bike, and go to town with 100+ using a 140/520 A to C.

Yee Haw!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty-k1.jpg  

Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty-k2.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Let me be the first one to congratulate you on bringing us the first Lefty Krampus setup !
    Now lets see it on a bike.

Nemophilist
    Bah...

Lots of room. Ride on!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Let me be the first one to congratulate you on bringing us the first Lefty Krampus setup !
    Now lets see it on a bike.
    Yeah, 'bout that...

Got bitten by the Rohloff bug. Hope to have a rideable bike in a week or so.

I'm sure someone will beat me to the first built position in that time though.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yeah, 'bout that...

Got bitten by the Rohloff bug. Hope to have a rideable bike in a week or so.

I'm sure someone will beat me to the first built position in that time though.
    That Rohloff bug is like an epidemic......

Great job on the fork!
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Quote Originally Posted by bprsnt View Post
    That Rohloff bug is like an epidemic......

Great job on the fork!
    Yeah, never even felt it coming on. Had a customer walk in last week, and want one on his Moonie I was building. First one I've laid hands on. Once I got through scratching my head on set up, OEM plates, Speed Bones, and really crappy Germanese instructions, it came together, and I was hooked.

Dammit.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Yeah, 'bout that...

Got bitten by the Rohloff bug.
    I know what you mean...
    I have one on my Pugs, and i wish i had one on my KM as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is this Rohloff krampus lefty going to be your new favorite ride?

I want to see a picture of that right next to the front of a lefty pug.

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Is this Rohloff krampus lefty going to be your new favorite ride?

I want to see a picture of that right next to the front of a lefty pug.
    I am blessed with more bikes than one man should own. An affliction perhaps, but hey, I could spend it all on hookers and blow instead...

Will it be my favorite? Can't say, haven't ridden it yet. Rode the Krampus in Vegas this year, and it was a hoot. Rode the super secret Fox forked version out there too. Much like a Fatty, it benefited from some front squish.

For snow and sand? No, not my fave, the Form Fatso has that honor. For super gnarly technical terrain perhaps not, my LunchBox is a hard act to follow. For general bombing and single track on dry days? Yeah, this will likely take the crown.

Too soon to start complaining, but the Knard will be weak in the mud, so it won't win awards there, and we have mud in the northeast. I just know that the good folks at Surly will be coming out with more, increasingly capable treads for the Krampus, just as the Pug used to only have the Endo, yuck.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Must resist further following this thread.....I have a Rohloff Moonlander and am seriously considering a Krampus/Rohloff and now a Lefty? I am sunk.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sweet, looking forward to pictures and ride reports.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Tire width

Got the little beasts in this afternoon.

Had a few odds and ends to wrap up first, but got right down to business as soon as I could. Laced it up offset, turn out I could have gone symmetrical, which I will before riding it, just because.

I've had a huge number of folks wanting to know, will the 29x3 Knard/Rabbit Hole fit a Lefty.

More importantly, will it fit a conventional Lefty, as opposed to the custom offset jobbers required for Fatties.

Yes, they work. Just fine.

Clearance may be a tad close for some, but I think most will find it more than adequate, assuming a nice stiff built wheel.

Travel clearance will need to be on a case by case basis, but the wheel fits the chassis, so the rest is up to ya'll.

In this case, I used a moldy oldy 130 Max. A to C is 510, Krampus fork A to C is 485. I can squeeze about 90 mm out of it as it sits.

So on a Krampus frame, you'd be looking at less travel, a 490 A to C fork like a Speed 110 would likely net around 60 to 70 mm. Respectable, and close enough to keep handling neutral.

Or, toss a longer fork on your bigger bike, and go to town with 100+ using a 140/520 A to C.

Yee Haw!
    What rim width and max tire width is represented in this photo
    Please do tell...

Vagician
    Lefty. Krampus. Rohloff. Awesome.

Sounds like a great ride. Can't wait to see it.

I am blessed with more bikes than one man should own. An affliction perhaps, but hey, I could spend it all on hookers and blow instead...
    Love this

I try to use the same rationale

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How much is one of these forks and can you buy them off the shelf ready to go or is machining involved? TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Akita man View Post
    What rim width and max tire width is represented in this photo
    Please do tell...
    Pics show a Rabbit Hole and a 29x3 Knard. I personally think any wider, and you'd need to do an offset clamp or a FatLeftyesque alloy non-bonded chassis with a Project 321 clamp set. This allows you to dish the rim over a touch, and re-correct to center with the clamps.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    How much is one of these forks and can you buy them off the shelf ready to go or is machining involved? TIA.
    As little as a hundred bucks or so for one that works if you buy well, and up to about $1400 MSRP for a current top of the line version.

Shown with a stock Krampus wheel (Lefty specific hub though) built to conventional spacing and dish, on a normal Lefty fork.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pics show a Rabbit Hole and a 29x3 Knard. I personally think any wider, and you'd need to do an offset clamp or a FatLeftyesque alloy non-bonded chassis with a Project 321 clamp set. This allows you to dish the rim over a touch, and re-correct to center with the clamps.
    If you measure the max width of the inflated tire...is it the full 3" or more like 2.75" wide?

mtbr member
    FWIW, on the Rohloff Bug: the Shimano Alfine 11 (introduced fall 2011) is less expensive, easier to mount and configure, and you get a real trigger shifter. 135mm rear axle.
    2014 SC NOMAD C Nior
    2015 Surly Instigator 2.0 26+
    2012 Diamondback Sortie 27.5+

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    FWIW, on the Rohloff Bug: the Shimano Alfine 11 (introduced fall 2011) is less expensive, easier to mount and configure, and you get a real trigger shifter. 135mm rear axle.
    My understanding is though, the 11 is a far narrower range overall, than the 14. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    way to ruin a Krampus

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    This is killer - thanks for posting!

Now I'm dreaming about a Rabbithole / Knard on a Lefty Supermax 130. Overkill? Yeah, but it should would be fun.

mtbr member
    My understanding is though, the 11 is a far narrower range overall, than the 14. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong......
    The range of a Rohloff is 526%. The range of an Alfine 11 is 409%, so yes the Rohloff has a much wider range.

The Rohloff is 2-3 times as expensive, but will last 10 times longer. Lots of reports of the Alfine 11 not being so durable.

Quote Originally Posted by keith bonedragger View Post
    way to ruin a Krampus
    Since your response lacked much in the way of detail, I'll just assume you meant the fork. I'd then also surmise you think the Fox is a far better choice. If so, we could go back and forth all day, but I'd get bored pretty quickly.

Meh, haters gonna hate, thanks for dropping by, grab a cookie on your way out.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    The range of a Rohloff is 526%. The range of an Alfine 11 is 409%, so yes the Rohloff has a much wider range.

The Rohloff is 2-3 times as expensive, but will last 10 times longer. Lots of reports of the Alfine 11 not being so durable.
    Thanks for the confirmation. And, I'd heard that about the 11 too, durability wise....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Mendon

Put a caliper on that thang...how wide is it really. I measured some Nates (120TPI) at 4.0 and a Bud at 4.25. Mounted on Holy Rolling Darryl Rims.

Wondering if this Krampus runs more like 2.75? Tires never seem to measure up as wide as advertised.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty-tire-width.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Akita man View Post
    Put a caliper on that thang...how wide is it really. I measured some Nates (120TPI) at 4.0 and a Bud at 4.25. Mounted on Holy Rolling Darryl Rims.

Wondering if this Krampus runs more like 2.75? Tires never seem to measure up as wide as advertised.
    If it isn't 3", it's like, a mm shy.

I'm going with three though. Finally, truth in advertising!

I'm guessing they'll stretch a bit too, and, I'll be setting them up split tube tubeless once I have the bike ready to roll, which does seem to allow for a bit more growth. Currently tubed, and at about 30 PSIm just for info's sake.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    pretty cool Craig. Interested to see your Rohloff project. I've recently been overcome with the Pinion bug myself and am currently trying to work through some challenges.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    pretty cool Craig. Interested to see your Rohloff project. I've recently been overcome with the Pinion bug myself and am currently trying to work through some challenges.
    I saw that Carver's got a Pinion frame in the works:
    Carver Bikes Innovation for 2013 and beyond ...

I've seen that, pretty cool stuff. I think the Pinion stuff will have to fight harder than Rohloff though, in terms of overcoming issues. Proprietary BB shell, and more weight, have no idea on expense, but I'm guessing more there too?

Relaced the wheel to a symmetrical build, feels better, and spoke length is better.

FWIW, the numbers I cam up with gave me a fair bit of spoke poke on the disc side. Not sure, but someones numbers are off a bit, not saying thy aren't mine, no idea....

Just tossing this out as it's germane to the conversation. I guess Rohloff has reworked their acceptable chainring numbers, and now says a 34/16 is acceptable, whereas they've held to a 40t ring minimum before. Cool stuff!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Liking the Lefty Krampus. As soon as I can justify bike #5, I'm going to test ride one. I'm pretty sure I know what happens after I test ride one.

Might have to sell my maverick fork and Lefty the fatbike before I go Krampus. One thing at a time.

I just heard that about the Rohloff too! Very good news. I've been running 35/16 for a few years on both a 29er and a Fatbike. I was never really worried about it but I'm glad I'm not a Rohloff outlaw any more. Might have to try 34/16 on the 907 though, it just might be the magic gear that eliminates the tensioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Mutt View Post
    I've been running 35/16 for a few years on both a 29er and a Fatbike. I was never really worried about it but I'm glad I'm not a Rohloff outlaw any more. Might have to try 34/16 on the 907 though, it just might be the magic gear that eliminates the tensioner.
    Not to derail my own thread but....

Since you're running a Rohloff, mind if I pick your brain?

Trying to target the best starter chain ring choice. Do you have any feel for how your choice compares to a conventional 2x9, 22/32 with an 11/34 range wise? Will say the 34 with a stock 16 be lower low end, or higher. High end, not quite as much, or more?

Thanks.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It has been a while since I did all the gearing math to make that choice. I was shooting for coming as close to the 29er setup that it was replacing as possible and the Rohloff approved gearing lost me a few gears on the low end. So I went below their recommendations.

I think I had a XTR triple with a 22t/34t low gear. The 35/16 feels very close to the low end but it does give some away at the top end. I'd have to look in the parts bin and run Sheldon Browns gear calculator again to know exactly how much.

34/16 will be good too. If it had been approved before I would have gone there. I like to be able to pedal up anything, and gravity always helps going to other way.

How much does it weigh?
    So you're telling me that my Fatback needs a Krampus wheelset for the summer, with any old Lefty I can find?

Head tube length may be a problem?

mtbr member
    Rohloff updated their Gear-Meter Table just this fall as I understand it, for a bit lower allowances. Just thought I would share if you haven't seen/reviewed it yet:

Gear-meter table: www.rohloff.de

I run my Moonlander 38/16 and it is a great range for me, any lower an I would be falling over or better off walking, higher end was suitable for my road riding experience on the top end.

Cool, I'll start with a 35 then, thanks. Don't want to lose too much at top end, sounds like the wall crawler will be close enough for government work.

Borgshulze, well, need, want, those two paths do come very close to one another, don't they?

Yes, HT length will be an issue, particularly with the long ones on "snow" bikes like the Fatback etc.

An older alloy non bonded fork with the Project 321 adapters will gain you a little more room though.

Jake stopped making them though, and never made tall drop top clamp versions like I have for the Fat Leftys. Un oh, I smell a new sub market for Jake!

Appreciate the gear chart, ratios make my head swim, but it's good to have anyway!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    MCS,
    Not to derail your thread but.....

I've run a Rohloff for more years than I can remember with a 40 & 34/16 combo. I have a double set up at the front and just flick it over with my finger, I normaly stop to do this BTW, as I'm quite attached to my finger.... . In the low range I've towed a BOB with 45 Kg in it through lots of loose sand and I now run it on a fat tyred cargo bike. I've had 80 Kg of crap on that + me! I run the 40 / 16 on the road as I lose ~3 bottom end ratios and gain 3 top end ratios. Bit blurry on this as it's been a real long time since I did the calcs.
    The reason Rohloff don't like one going too low with the gearing is it will shear the shear pins, (because of the torque generated) of which there are 6. These are nyplon and about 5mm in dia x about 9mm (blurry again) long, they connect the guts to the shell from memory. I bought some but have never used them and TBH, haven't seen the bl00dy things for years, dunno where they are!!

smudge, I'm looking at the Pinion as well, I've tried to purchase just a gearbox but Pinion have written to me saying that here in OZ I won't be able to do so until 2015 or later. I would really like to have one put in a custom fat cargo frame. Peter White has them in the Tout (pronounced tou ) Terrain Panamericana Xplore Pinion, and I'm struggling with the decision of whether to buy a frame and try and have it butchered.... I mean 'crafted' to take fatties, which will be a major, or just take the gearbox off and put it on the cargo bike then swap it over as required.

BTW, the pinion has 18 gears with a gear jump of 11.5% between gears and a total range of 636%, serious stuff for a cargo bike or if towing. Of course, if your road speed drops off your knackered.

OK, return to the thread now please.....

Al
    It seemed like a good idea!...... at the time......

Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    MCS,
    Derail away. Love having a thread that gets info out there, gets folks talking etc!

Thank you for the insight. I knew that was their concern, torque based internal damage. I guess they've updated their accepted ratios to accept down to a 34/16 now.

Glads to hear you have so many miles in adverse conditions, and so few headaches!!

Double huh? Hmmm, I wanted to go single as run a Tuggnut as opposed to the tensioner Rohloff provides, primarily because I have a ton of bikes with a thingie hanging off that likes to get caught on stuff in the woods, it'd be refreshing to have a SS style set up AND 14 gears to choose from. Hmmm, may have to think on that a bit.....

Carry on!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    MCS,

I run tug nuts on the Pugs with a single up front. It's certainly cleaner but the 'thingy' is only 'tweeny' not like them 'hang down and touch the ground thingies' on a standard setup. I've never damaged mine......touch wood ( saying ththis as I touch my head )

Al

It's certainly cleaner but the 'thingy' is only 'tweeny' not like them 'hang down and touch the ground thingies' on a standard setup. I've never damaged mine......touch wood ( saying ththis as I touch my head )

The issue around here in't so much ground or "fixed matter" contact, it's a stick kicking up into the device, getting sucked into the rear cogs, and good night. Mid cage, short. long, they all give way to a nice firm stick.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

PCT
    Enthusiast
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    So you're telling me that my Fatback needs a Krampus wheelset for the summer, with any old Lefty I can find?

Head tube length may be a problem?
    Craig you are an alchemist!

My Fatback and Flash are thumb-wrestling for who gets the new wheels...

Can I lace up the Rabbit Hole for a standard 110 Lefty, and then later re-dish the wheel to fit a fat Lefty (or would the wheel have to be rebuilt?) Aaaand would a 90 pbr work with Rabbit Hole at all?

Thanks!

Puro Vida!
    Craig I hate you! I want to stop working someday soon-but you keep coming with these cool forks-GReAt job! I'm still hoping to disassemble my Pug this weekend and get it out to paint so I can install my Lefty-I go stare at it every night-looks so nice!!!
    The Pug can run the Rabbit Holes-but I'm assuming I can just swap my RDs in the summer for RHs and use the same Lefty for both? Hope that makes sense-anyways-keep up the great work!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

The issue around here in't so much ground or "fixed matter" contact, it's a stick kicking up into the device, getting sucked into the rear cogs, and good night. Mid cage, short. long, they all give way to a nice firm stick.....
    Bugga...

Relocate......to somewhere stickless....saaay... MOAB.....I'm an ideas man, no doubt about it

Al

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    MCS,

I've run a Rohloff for more years than I can remember with a 40 & 34/16 combo. I have a double set up at the front and just flick it over with my finger, I normaly stop to do this BTW, as I'm quite attached to my finger.... . In the low range I've towed a BOB with 45 Kg in it through lots of loose sand and I now run it on a fat tyred cargo bike. I've had 80 Kg of crap on that + me! I run the 40 / 16 on the road as I lose ~3 bottom end ratios and gain 3 top end ratios. Bit blurry on this as it's been a real long time since I did the calcs.
    The reason Rohloff don't like one going too low with the gearing is it will shear the shear pins, (because of the torque generated) of which there are 6. These are nyplon and about 5mm in dia x about 9mm (blurry again) long, they connect the guts to the shell from memory. I bought some but have never used them and TBH, haven't seen the bl00dy things for years, dunno where they are!!

smudge, I'm looking at the Pinion as well, I've tried to purchase just a gearbox but Pinion have written to me saying that here in OZ I won't be able to do so until 2015 or later. I would really like to have one put in a custom fat cargo frame. Peter White has them in the Tout (pronounced tou ) Terrain Panamericana Xplore Pinion, and I'm struggling with the decision of whether to buy a frame and try and have it butchered.... I mean 'crafted' to take fatties, which will be a major, or just take the gearbox off and put it on the cargo bike then swap it over as required.
    OK, return to the thread now please.....

Al
    Interesting.

Craig, curious...is your snow bike for snow or do you use it all the time? I've been a Rohloff user for nearly 8 years now. It started life on my 29er but it wasn't my favorite because of the weight, the non king-like engagement and shifting it was like going back to uniglide. I LOVE it on my belt drive commuter though.

Alan, they're telling me the same thing but they can be purchased for prototype. Conceptually, I like it a lot and think it addresses the over-heavy back end that the Rohloff creates and unless I'm mistaken, it relies on the hub FW mech.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=smudge;........unless I'm mistaken, it relies on the hub FW mech.[/QUOTE]

Smudge,

Yes, it utilizes a freewheel cassette on the rear, I seem to remember reading and seeing a picture of it somewhere, but can't find it now. EDIT, got it, http://www.pinion.eu/PDF/pinion-prod...alogue-web.pdf , page 3.

For those that are interesred, here's a link; PINION / P1.18 / DRIVE TECHNOLOGY , down the bottom of the page are further links to interesting info. One page shows the massive gear range.

Al

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    alanm, I got the same answer about individual Pinion units.

#@$*

One of those would really turn my crank, and I could justify the cost easier than a Rohloff hub. With a gearbox you just switch wheels...
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    ....... With a gearbox you just switch wheels...
    Tell me about it....

Al

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    all i'm saying is keep the kooky proprietary dorel stuff on the dorel bikes/childrens' furniture. along with four bold rotors, 1.5" headsets/shocks, electronic lockouts, laptop programmable shocks, and motorcycles. GT/Mongoose/cannondale/schwinn/dyno/powerlite/roadmaster/ironhorse/pacific= junk. Surly=good. keep the junk off the good.

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Craig, curious...is your snow bike for snow or do you use it all the time.
    Well, I use it for all matter of terrain. But seeing as I have that, I doubt the Krampus will see much in the way of snow, or ice riding, as I have a studded 29er for that....

The rear biased weight is a point I'm curious on, trail time will tell if it bugs me or not. If I just don't like it, Im sure some Krampus owner will want it

@keith bonedragger, (great screen name BTW) I hear you. You may never have liked Cannondale, and I'm a firm non fan of corporate BS, but all I can say is, the guys who were responsible for Lefty and Headshock development in Bedford PA, still are, and the forks are still assembled by hand, by Americans, in PA. Many parts are still US produced, some aren't.

All the garbledy**** electronics can take a flying leap (don't even get me started on electronic shifting) .

Can't blame Cannondale for 1.5, the rest of the DH industry seems to like it.

Worth noting Surly went to 44mm head tubes for the Krampus, which I'm sure in itself, is a handful of sand in your panties

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I'm in love.

First ride last night, I mean sure, I rode one in Vegas this Fall, but it's always different on your own turf.

I still need to iron out a few details, but these are some seriously fun bikes.

The fork gives me 110 mm, thanks to the super short stack height, I did have to dish it over a touch, but with the Project 321 adapters, I can float the wheel around to get it centered. Only needed two nipple turns to bring it to where it needed to be.

The hub. First time on the trail with one of these, so cool. Kinda hard to grasp till you ride it, but it doesn't shift like a derailleur set up. Pedal pressure creates shifter resistance. Lighten up and it'll shift, but coast for a second, and they bang off really easily, but you're then in the gear, no catching up like if you dumped a few while coasting with a conventional set up. Give and take. It's nice to be able to shift under greater load, I guess it gets better with miles, and I'm sure m y technique will improve as well. Overall, awesome upgrade.

Tires, well, tough to tell, but they are tubeless. Set them up split tube style, no foam needed, set up super easily. What's curious is tire pressure. Went out with 20, figured that's a bit lower than I run "skinnies" ought to be good. Nope, too firm it seems.

Let some out on the trail, much better. Came back to the shop afterwards and played some more and discovered, I can run about 8 or 9, just like my fatties. Might be a bit soft for hard charging summer riding, but I have some rail road ties in the lot that are a good log over, bomb over test, and hitting it hard as I can, they barely kiss the rim at those pressures.

Surly Open bars, 40mm rise/drop. Jury's still out. LIke the look, position is okay, can't quite get the feel I want yet though, time will tell, still playing around.

Now I want to go ride some more, alas, got work to do.....

The roll is just unreal, it's like you've got a bunch of fairies with their hands on your back, pushing you along, it just goes and goes and goes.

Same trail feels less tossy than on my 29ers, and more nimble than on my fattie.

Damn you Surly, you've created a monster, thank you.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty-k3.jpg  

Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty-k2.jpg  

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast