Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty

Got the little beasts in this afternoon.

Had a few odds and ends to wrap up first, but got right down to business as soon as I could. Laced it up offset, turn out I could have gone symmetrical, which I will before riding it, just because.

I've had a huge number of folks wanting to know, will the 29x3 Knard/Rabbit Hole fit a Lefty.

More importantly, will it fit a conventional Lefty, as opposed to the custom offset jobbers required for Fatties.

Yes, they work. Just fine.

Clearance may be a tad close for some, but I think most will find it more than adequate, assuming a nice stiff built wheel.

Travel clearance will need to be on a case by case basis, but the wheel fits the chassis, so the rest is up to ya'll.

In this case, I used a moldy oldy 130 Max. A to C is 510, Krampus fork A to C is 485. I can squeeze about 90 mm out of it as it sits.

So on a Krampus frame, you'd be looking at less travel, a 490 A to C fork like a Speed 110 would likely net around 60 to 70 mm. Respectable, and close enough to keep handling neutral.

Or, toss a longer fork on your bigger bike, and go to town with 100+ using a 140/520 A to C.

Yee Haw!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty-k1.jpg  

Yes Virginia, Krampus is a Lefty-k2.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Let me be the first one to congratulate you on bringing us the first Lefty Krampus setup !
    Now lets see it on a bike.

Nemophilist
    Bah...

Lots of room. Ride on!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Let me be the first one to congratulate you on bringing us the first Lefty Krampus setup !
    Now lets see it on a bike.
    Yeah, 'bout that...

Got bitten by the Rohloff bug. Hope to have a rideable bike in a week or so.

I'm sure someone will beat me to the first built position in that time though.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yeah, 'bout that...

Got bitten by the Rohloff bug. Hope to have a rideable bike in a week or so.

I'm sure someone will beat me to the first built position in that time though.
    That Rohloff bug is like an epidemic......

Great job on the fork!
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

Quote Originally Posted by bprsnt View Post
    That Rohloff bug is like an epidemic......

Great job on the fork!
    Yeah, never even felt it coming on. Had a customer walk in last week, and want one on his Moonie I was building. First one I've laid hands on. Once I got through scratching my head on set up, OEM plates, Speed Bones, and really crappy Germanese instructions, it came together, and I was hooked.

Dammit.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Yeah, 'bout that...

Got bitten by the Rohloff bug.
    I know what you mean...
    I have one on my Pugs, and i wish i had one on my KM as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is this Rohloff krampus lefty going to be your new favorite ride?

I want to see a picture of that right next to the front of a lefty pug.

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Is this Rohloff krampus lefty going to be your new favorite ride?

I want to see a picture of that right next to the front of a lefty pug.
    I am blessed with more bikes than one man should own. An affliction perhaps, but hey, I could spend it all on hookers and blow instead...

Will it be my favorite? Can't say, haven't ridden it yet. Rode the Krampus in Vegas this year, and it was a hoot. Rode the super secret Fox forked version out there too. Much like a Fatty, it benefited from some front squish.

For snow and sand? No, not my fave, the Form Fatso has that honor. For super gnarly technical terrain perhaps not, my LunchBox is a hard act to follow. For general bombing and single track on dry days? Yeah, this will likely take the crown.

Too soon to start complaining, but the Knard will be weak in the mud, so it won't win awards there, and we have mud in the northeast. I just know that the good folks at Surly will be coming out with more, increasingly capable treads for the Krampus, just as the Pug used to only have the Endo, yuck.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Must resist further following this thread.....I have a Rohloff Moonlander and am seriously considering a Krampus/Rohloff and now a Lefty? I am sunk.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sweet, looking forward to pictures and ride reports.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Tire width

Got the little beasts in this afternoon.

Had a few odds and ends to wrap up first, but got right down to business as soon as I could. Laced it up offset, turn out I could have gone symmetrical, which I will before riding it, just because.

I've had a huge number of folks wanting to know, will the 29x3 Knard/Rabbit Hole fit a Lefty.

More importantly, will it fit a conventional Lefty, as opposed to the custom offset jobbers required for Fatties.

Yes, they work. Just fine.

Clearance may be a tad close for some, but I think most will find it more than adequate, assuming a nice stiff built wheel.

Travel clearance will need to be on a case by case basis, but the wheel fits the chassis, so the rest is up to ya'll.

In this case, I used a moldy oldy 130 Max. A to C is 510, Krampus fork A to C is 485. I can squeeze about 90 mm out of it as it sits.

So on a Krampus frame, you'd be looking at less travel, a 490 A to C fork like a Speed 110 would likely net around 60 to 70 mm. Respectable, and close enough to keep handling neutral.

Or, toss a longer fork on your bigger bike, and go to town with 100+ using a 140/520 A to C.

Yee Haw!
    What rim width and max tire width is represented in this photo
    Please do tell...

Vagician
    Lefty. Krampus. Rohloff. Awesome.

Sounds like a great ride. Can't wait to see it.

I am blessed with more bikes than one man should own. An affliction perhaps, but hey, I could spend it all on hookers and blow instead...
    Love this

I try to use the same rationale

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How much is one of these forks and can you buy them off the shelf ready to go or is machining involved? TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Akita man View Post
    What rim width and max tire width is represented in this photo
    Please do tell...
    Pics show a Rabbit Hole and a 29x3 Knard. I personally think any wider, and you'd need to do an offset clamp or a FatLeftyesque alloy non-bonded chassis with a Project 321 clamp set. This allows you to dish the rim over a touch, and re-correct to center with the clamps.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    How much is one of these forks and can you buy them off the shelf ready to go or is machining involved? TIA.
    As little as a hundred bucks or so for one that works if you buy well, and up to about $1400 MSRP for a current top of the line version.

Shown with a stock Krampus wheel (Lefty specific hub though) built to conventional spacing and dish, on a normal Lefty fork.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pics show a Rabbit Hole and a 29x3 Knard. I personally think any wider, and you'd need to do an offset clamp or a FatLeftyesque alloy non-bonded chassis with a Project 321 clamp set. This allows you to dish the rim over a touch, and re-correct to center with the clamps.
    If you measure the max width of the inflated tire...is it the full 3" or more like 2.75" wide?

mtbr member
    FWIW, on the Rohloff Bug: the Shimano Alfine 11 (introduced fall 2011) is less expensive, easier to mount and configure, and you get a real trigger shifter. 135mm rear axle.
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    FWIW, on the Rohloff Bug: the Shimano Alfine 11 (introduced fall 2011) is less expensive, easier to mount and configure, and you get a real trigger shifter. 135mm rear axle.
    My understanding is though, the 11 is a far narrower range overall, than the 14. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    way to ruin a Krampus

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    This is killer - thanks for posting!

Now I'm dreaming about a Rabbithole / Knard on a Lefty Supermax 130. Overkill? Yeah, but it should would be fun.

mtbr member
    My understanding is though, the 11 is a far narrower range overall, than the 14. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong......
    The range of a Rohloff is 526%. The range of an Alfine 11 is 409%, so yes the Rohloff has a much wider range.

The Rohloff is 2-3 times as expensive, but will last 10 times longer. Lots of reports of the Alfine 11 not being so durable.

Quote Originally Posted by keith bonedragger View Post
    way to ruin a Krampus
    Since your response lacked much in the way of detail, I'll just assume you meant the fork. I'd then also surmise you think the Fox is a far better choice. If so, we could go back and forth all day, but I'd get bored pretty quickly.

Meh, haters gonna hate, thanks for dropping by, grab a cookie on your way out.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    The range of a Rohloff is 526%. The range of an Alfine 11 is 409%, so yes the Rohloff has a much wider range.

The Rohloff is 2-3 times as expensive, but will last 10 times longer. Lots of reports of the Alfine 11 not being so durable.
    Thanks for the confirmation. And, I'd heard that about the 11 too, durability wise....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast