mtbr member
    Dec 2012

xx1 on hoggar ti how?

are there any sandman owners here who've put an xx1 on their ride?

i just got my hoggar ti and sadly none of the LBShops where im from
    know much about fat bikes. because of that im left to searching the web for fat bike solutions.

so if anyones done it out there, please share with me what brands and measurements that you used in your build, so i could order online and get the gear shipped to where im at.
    ive seen race face and xx1 combos but,
    im not mechanically savvy so i just couldnt go with the numbers of the models and catalogs online, so i hope you dig.

i have a small size hoggar ti with pretty much stock everything except the cockpit.

thanks in advance for the reco's.

mtbr member
    Can you get any information from the Sandman??

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    will shoot them an email as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This case is as easy as the rear hub. Sandman spec list says Shimano XT modified and XX1 requires the XD driver body to work with. I reckon Shimano does not have XD drivers which means you need to swap the whole rear hub to something that works with XD driver. Or if you happen to be very lucky, find a third party vendor who for some reason makes XD drivers for Shimano hubs.

After that hub problem is sorted it's all down to basic fatbike stuff with chainlines etc.
    If you are running 4.00" rubber on roughly 85mm wide or narrower rim then you should have no issues with chainline.

Easiest way for you to go about the XX1 setup is most likely just getting any narrow wide chainring to go with your existing cranks. Or changing cranks to something that supports the official XX1 chainrings directly.
    Other than that XX1 is the same as any 1x setup. Pick your front chainring size and install components and remember to size the chain correctly.

I would say that the easiest way to get close to XX1 for you is to go with 1x10 with modified cassette running General Lee from Leonardi.
    Also one way is to hope that Shimano is going to release their XX1 competitor soon.

I have Beargrease alu setup with Hope Fatsno hubs running XX1 with 26x4" rubber on Marge Lites. No issues with chainline. Cranks are Middleburn 5 bolt spider and I'm actually running the inner most chainring at the moment.
    Most critical difference is the hub since Hope makes XD driver bodies.
    I'm going with 26x4" rubber on ClownShoes for the winter and there might be some chainline work needed to clear the wide rims with XX1, but I will know soon.

Hope this info helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @Sandzsteedt
    thanks for sharing, now i have somewhere to start my search.
    thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The modified XT hub is 165mm but cami from Sandman posted here in an other thread that 170mm hubs fit the Hoggar (I would still send them a mail to confirm before buying a new hub).

mtbr member
    ^^^ From previous threads on hubs/compatibility, it's my understanding that a 5mm different in hub spacing doesn't matter. A 165mm would fit a 170mm spacing and the other way around too.

It's 2.5mm either side! ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandzsteedt View Post

Easiest way for you to go about the XX1 setup is most likely just getting any narrow wide chainring to go with your existing cranks. Or changing cranks to something that supports the official XX1 chainrings directly.
    Other than that XX1 is the same as any 1x setup. Pick your front chainring size and install components and remember to size the chain correctly.

I would say that the easiest way to get close to XX1 for you is to go with 1x10 with modified cassette running General Lee from Leonardi.
    Also one way is to hope that Shimano is going to release their XX1 competitor soon.

Kind of like mine below...

32 tooth front. 11-40 tooth cassette using General Lee and 1/2 a sram cassette.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    @russmu66

alright thats what im im talking about. now im gonna have to go show this to my LBS mechanic now.
    thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    Kind of like mine below...

32 tooth front. 11-40 tooth cassette using General Lee and 1/2 a sram cassette.

Its your setup a 9 or 10 speed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 98srx6 View Post
    Its your setup a 9 or 10 speed?
    It's a 10 speed setup using an X9 Type 2 rear derailleur.

I've since changed the front ring to a 30 tooth, using a wolftooth ring... makes climbing a little easier.

Next stage is to see how well the Hope Fatsno 170mm hub can be 'shoehorned' into the rear dropouts... would like to go full XX1 derailleur and cassette.

Cheers
    FatMuz