mtbr member
    Apr 2012

XT brakes on White fork

Has anyone mounted Shimano XT or XTR brakes on a White carbon fork with a 180 rotor? The standard Shimano adapter bracket doesn't work and it looks like I need an offset bracket. Can anyone help with a part number or place that I can buy an offset bracket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This is dependent on the hubs you use, not the brakes. The WB forks front brake spaced, but many of the 135 front fatbike hubs use the same rotor spacing as a 135 rear hub. to accommodate, WB makes an adapter shim for Rear-spaced hubs and 180/185 rotors, which can be ordered from your LBS.

For example, I have the Hope Hubs, which are 135 rear spaced, and I use the WB adapter shim with a 180mm rotor, and it lines up fine.

The other option is to make 5mm offset shims for the rotor body to move the rotor to the proper front spacing. Fatbikes.com sells these

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Interesting. I'm using Hope hubs with 180 Formula rotors and have the WB adapter. The offset is good but the pads don't line up well with the rotors. They only touch on the top 2/3rds of the rotor. These adapters worked fine with Avids but the XT's sit farther up on the rotors than the Avids. Which rotors are you using?
    I'm thinking of grinding down the adapters to lower the caliper and center the rotor in the calipers.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhz06 View Post
    Interesting. I'm using Hope hubs with 180 Formula rotors and have the WB adapter. The offset is good but the pads don't line up well with the rotors. They only touch on the top 2/3rds of the rotor. These adapters worked fine with Avids but the XT's sit farther up on the rotors than the Avids. Which rotors are you using?
    I'm thinking of grinding down the adapters to lower the caliper and center the rotor in the calipers.
    Ummm...

Make sure that you can "grind" accurately. If you do not keep the brake mounting surfaces square to each other, you will introduce all kinds of hateful alignment issues.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Nuts
    Are you sure you don't have the bracket on backwards? Also make sure you aren't using the cps washers from the Avid brakes. I have seen both of these mistakes made so I apologize in advance if you have already tried those things.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    All good suggestions/questions. Surfaces were checked with square to ensure that there are no alignment issues. Also made sure that both surfaces were on the same plane.
    Took about 4mm off upper bracket post and 2mm off lower bracket post.
    Bracket is on correct and no cps washers.
    All good now, thanks to everyone that replied.