mtbr member
    Aug 2013

X-Road Touring ?

How do you like your fat bikes for X (multi surface) road touring? Fire roads, urban, gravel with racks, etc. compared to a MTB or Dual Sport with 1.8"/45's for same? Slower climbing? More comphy, stay in the saddle longer?

What tires are you running for such ?

I only rode a fat bike once, recently (a Surly) and liked it but, not long enough to tell. It felt like I could drink a cup of coffee, with out spilling, while riding........lol........and it was fun.......I also liked the squish effect with out a F.S.F. Probably my biggest concern would be climbing........long climbs as compared.

Anyways, I ride nearly daily, despite free petro and a company supplied Grand Caravan.......because I like to. Utility, Urban Short cuts, BMX like mess'in around, forest service roads, rail trails,utility runs, dry single track , ,,,,, pretty much anything/everything and day touring/packing.

Been browsing J.Jones,Surly,Specialized etc. ..... would add racks........just hesitant as my bike works......yet......there is something about these fat bikes I like a lot...........concerned of roll resistance on pavement and hill climb ability all - versus

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    How do you like your fat bikes for X (multi surface) road touring? Fire roads, urban, gravel with racks, etc. compared to a MTB or Dual Sport with 1.8"/45's for same? Slower climbing? More comphy, stay in the saddle longer?

What tires are you running for such ?
    I've toured on my Pugsley [Endo x2 & Larry/Endo], my Krampus [Knards] and various "normal" MTBs.

They all work so if you have any one of these types of MTBs and want to tour I wouldn't hesitate.

Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses so it would really come down to the specifics of a particular route which bike would be superior.

I'm mostly touring on my Krampus this year because it strikes a nice balance between speed, traction and roll-over power in rough terrain.

I don't have much in the way of loose or soft surfaces to ride on so the limited float of the 3" Knards is perfect for the occasional sand or loose rocky section.

However, if I was headed for a non-paved roads tour in Baja I'd most likely take the Pugsley so I could explore at will on the beach or deeper into the desert.

When I get my new FS MTB I will try and get one that is compatible with some really lightweight bike camping trips for terrain that's rough and chunky enough that a rigid or hardtail bike just isn't all that fun or efficient.

Having some choices is great and I'd always rather have the right tool for the job.

Having said that while I enjoy geeking out on bikes and gear the only real mistake you can make is not heading out on your bike and exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    ....there is something about these fat bikes I like a lot...........concerned of roll resistance on pavement and hill climb ability all - versus
    I've done up to 70km stretches of paved roads on tour and climbed many mountain passes on dirt with my Pugsley. It works just fine.

I wouldn't pick it for a mostly paved tour. I would be faster/happier on a different bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com