Thread: WTF Tire Mod

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

WTF Tire Mod

Found on my local shop's blog:

More here:

Another Fat Bike Mod For Your Enjoyment | Quality Vintage and Used Bicycles for Sale

Dear (deity of your choice here), I don't know what to do with that.

Nor this:

Looks like a Nevegal that was gut, skinned, and grafted on.
    I would think Nate's would be an easier solution.

mtbr member

Frankentires

Pedal anywhere, then shred on the way back down! I made those out of necessity, before there was a Nate on the horizon. I've done at least a dozen rides that would have been hikes without them.

It's a 29" 2.2" Nevegal in the center with half of a Motoraptor on either side to put treads all the way across the profile.

Here's the first frankentire that got me started: Best Post of 2004 : Frankentire lives: 30x2.6 snow monster!

I based the paddles on this one: snow tires

I'm happy enough with the Nate for now, but will probably throw these monsters back on for the spring crust/mashed potato season.

I'm assuming that Surly will be making a Big Fat Nate soon, since that's the next logical step. If nothing shows up at Interbike, I'll bust out the rivets again... It's a great pre-season activity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOnSnow View Post
    Pedal anywhere, then shred on the way back down! I made those out of necessity, before there was a Nate on the horizon. I've done at least a dozen rides that would have been hikes without them.

It's a 29" 2.2" Nevegal in the center with half of a Motoraptor on either side to put treads all the way across the profile.

Here's the first frankentire that got me started: Best Post of 2004 : Frankentire lives: 30x2.6 snow monster!

I based the paddles on this one: snow tires

I'm happy enough with the Nate for now, but will probably throw these monsters back on for the spring crust/mashed potato season.

I'm assuming that Surly will be making a Big Fat Nate soon, since that's the next logical step. If nothing shows up at Interbike, I'll bust out the rivets again... It's a great pre-season activity.
    cool that it works for you - but seems like a ton of work + rolling resistance! and i'd have a hard time hacking up my tires

here in BTV i'd mix flat trail with compressed single track, or over in the ADKs i mixed in some sno-mo trail, pretty compressed and firm when cold, larry and endo worked really well - unless i ventured too far off trail.

i could see going to a nate for a year round trail / snow / everything tire (although the larry's roll nicely when cruising to town in the summer) got to save my $$ though.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesOnSnow View Post
    I'd probably not have much use for these in Wisco either, but I gotta say that I admire the ingenuity. People would do well to remember that refinements of out-of-the-box thinking (welding two rims together in parallel? sewing tires together? that's nuts!) is what got us here in the first place.