Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The 203mm seems to fit fine with the stanchion guards. I was assuming the issue is torsional as Nurse Ben suggests. On rotor size - yes pad contact area is a significant factor, but so is the diameter of the disc. With a larger disc, less pressure is required at the pads (and the finger) to provide the same stopping force - picture the disc as a fan of levers. Same amount of heat energy generated per stop (after all that is where the energy goes) but as NB stated, it is dissipated quicker with a larger disc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am 250 with gear and use 180 rotors on a set of Guide RSC and have not once wanted more stopping power.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    I am 250 with gear and use 180 rotors on a set of Guide RSC and have not once wanted more stopping power.
    I will try, since it is a long time ago I tried 180 rotors. Last time I was really disappointed whith brake Power.

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I printed stanchion guards for my older Wren. I can't upload stl-file here, but if anyone want's it just let me know and I can share it somewhere else.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g...2/DSC_0354.JPG
    Painted:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b...2/DSC_0356.JPG

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi,

I 've read this thread with interest. I've got a bluto in front of my Mutz and i hate the feeling of this fork. It doesn't match the rear of the bike and it doesn't seem to be stiff enough (i live in france, i ride in Nice backcountry and in the Alps sometimes. So the ground is rocky, dry and hard with long climbs and gnarly trails; not especially fast downhills, i rather enjoy technical and slow downhills ).

Is the Wren really a good combo with the Mutz ? Does it feel like noodle in tight turns or under "hard" braking ?

I'm over 100 kgs with equipement and hydration bag.

Ho.....and i've got 200 mm brake in the front and rear.....(Magura MT5, i like them a lot)

Thanks,

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pit View Post
    Hi,

I 've read this thread with interest. I've got a bluto in front of my Mutz and i hate the feeling of this fork. It doesn't match the rear of the bike and it doesn't seem to be stiff enough (i live in france, i ride in Nice backcountry and in the Alps sometimes. So the ground is rocky, dry and hard with long climbs and gnarly trails; not especially fast downhills, i rather enjoy technical and slow downhills ).

Is the Wren really a good combo with the Mutz ? Does it feel like noodle in tight turns or under "hard" braking ?

I'm over 100 kgs with equipement and hydration bag.

Ho.....and i've got 200 mm brake in the front and rear.....(Magura MT5, i like them a lot)

Thanks,

Steve
    You will for sure find that the Wren is doing the change of the Mutz behaviour like you are missing With the Bluto. I felt that the Bluto made restriction of the use of the bike and of course it did not keep up in rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    First ride report on Wren 150/150.
    Wren at 60psi, full 150mm travel; Damper 3/4 towards fast; Foes Mutz Large; Minion FBF + Ground Control rear. Trails very dry and firm. I'm 95kg in my birthday suit. 6' 2"" (sorry for the metric/imperial mix'n'match)
    I'm amazed by how plush this fork felt on the first ride. No sign of any stiction. Was used to a 120mm Bluto but had that set very firm to prevent bottoming out despite using three tokens. Having done the bar twisting with wheel between knees test, I was quite concerned by how much rotational flex there was, but no sign of that whatsoever on the trail.
    I was expecting the bike to feel really slack (I thought I didn't like slack geometry), but it just feels right. I'm also liking the effect of the extra AC length, with the front a bit higher it just feels spot on for me. Haven't measured the BB height, but I thought I noticed the difference (improvement). The front end is now much more reassuring compared to the Bluto. I felt the Wren was much more solid than the Bluto under braking. I can't say that I ever noticed the Bluto flexing under cornering loads - either I'm insensitive to that or just too slow!
    I got two PRs on steep technical sections without really trying (although the trails were super dry and quick). I didn't tackle any really steep climbs, so the extra height at the front may become an issue when I get more miles in. I didn't use all the travel, so might try dropping the pressure a bit next time, although the fork was responding so nicely, I may just leave it alone for now. I haven't quite got my head around the twin filling procedure yet and feel like I lucked out for my first ride.
    The only negative I can see is the faff to get the brake cable routing set properly. It took me quite a while but for my setup, the trick was to put an extra twist in the hose to direct the cable away from the wheel when the fork compresses.
    So, first impression is all good, I'm hoping that continues.
    Oh yes - the mention earlier in this thread about loose steerers. I have experienced that on another make of fork and although I didn't crash, it is my worst nightmare. So despite the assurance on this thread that these were isolated instances and the manufacturing process has since changed, I found myself checking that the steerer was still straight at every opportunity. I'm sure I will forget about that soon or at least not think about it any more often that I think about front tyres rolling off rims etc. Yes I am a complete wuss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The slack is not terrible at 150mm travel, though I dropped it to 130mm and I feel like that rides a little better, lower stack, better standover, STA is closer to normal. The 10mm clip is coming in the next month, which will allow a 140mm travel setting.

The thing about some folks not noticing the Bluto being sloppy, is you really need to be pushing any fork to notice it's weaknesses. Most folks are riding a Bluto on a hardtail fatbike, so it's just not gonna flex much because they're riding tame terrain.

I just got back from BC, I used all of my suspension, over and over, about ever fifteen to twenty feet down the trail! If I'd had a Bluto I would have skipped the advanced trails, but with the Wren I hung with the big boys/girl.

The Wren is a solid fork, no real weaknesses, I'm not even thinking about the loose steerer. Front end wiggle is there, but you can only notice it when the bike is in a stand, on the trail it is a non issue; typical inverted fork.

For a brake line guide, try a cable guide from an external dropper, I run mine on the front of the leg, above the stanchion guard ~ 150mm up.

Quote Originally Posted by brownmruk View Post
    First ride report on Wren 150/150.
    Wren at 60psi, full 150mm travel; Damper 3/4 towards fast; Foes Mutz Large; Minion FBF + Ground Control rear. Trails very dry and firm. I'm 95kg in my birthday suit. 6' 2"" (sorry for the metric/imperial mix'n'match)
    I'm amazed by how plush this fork felt on the first ride. No sign of any stiction. Was used to a 120mm Bluto but had that set very firm to prevent bottoming out despite using three tokens. Having done the bar twisting with wheel between knees test, I was quite concerned by how much rotational flex there was, but no sign of that whatsoever on the trail.
    I was expecting the bike to feel really slack (I thought I didn't like slack geometry), but it just feels right. I'm also liking the effect of the extra AC length, with the front a bit higher it just feels spot on for me. Haven't measured the BB height, but I thought I noticed the difference (improvement). The front end is now much more reassuring compared to the Bluto. I felt the Wren was much more solid than the Bluto under braking. I can't say that I ever noticed the Bluto flexing under cornering loads - either I'm insensitive to that or just too slow!
    I got two PRs on steep technical sections without really trying (although the trails were super dry and quick). I didn't tackle any really steep climbs, so the extra height at the front may become an issue when I get more miles in. I didn't use all the travel, so might try dropping the pressure a bit next time, although the fork was responding so nicely, I may just leave it alone for now. I haven't quite got my head around the twin filling procedure yet and feel like I lucked out for my first ride.
    The only negative I can see is the faff to get the brake cable routing set properly. It took me quite a while but for my setup, the trick was to put an extra twist in the hose to direct the cable away from the wheel when the fork compresses.
    So, first impression is all good, I'm hoping that continues.
    Oh yes - the mention earlier in this thread about loose steerers. I have experienced that on another make of fork and although I didn't crash, it is my worst nightmare. So despite the assurance on this thread that these were isolated instances and the manufacturing process has since changed, I found myself checking that the steerer was still straight at every opportunity. I'm sure I will forget about that soon or at least not think about it any more often that I think about front tyres rolling off rims etc. Yes I am a complete wuss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the tip on the cable guide I have been struggling with the idea of how to route brake lines on this fork. I found several options on ebay that should solve the issue.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Heheheeeee, many thanks Rumblefish, Romnruk and Nurse Ben for you thoughts/first impressions about this fork, it helps me a lot....

....i think i'll change my fork in the next few monthes for a Wren in 150 mm. I've seen there's a new distributor for Europe (Crank Nuts UK). I hope it will change the feeling of the Mutz

Cheers

Steve from France

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Heheheeeee, many thanks Rumblefish, Romnruk and Nurse Ben for you thoughts/first impressions about this fork, it helps me a lot....

....i think i'll change my fork in the next few monthes for a Wren in 150 mm. I've seen there's a new distributor for Europe (Crank Nuts UK). I hope it will change the feeling of the Mutz

Cheers

Steve from France
    The Bluto holds the Mutz back> Running a Bluto is not unlike running a 120mm travel Reba on a AM bike; you just can't run a noodley short travel fork on a bike that has big bones, big wheels, and 140mm of swingarm travel.

For perspective, the trails I rode this past weekend in BC:

Sumas Mountain (Knob Gobbler, etc) - Sumas Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Rode everything at Tamihi - Tamihi (Chilliwack River) Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

The Wren hangs with the big boys, everyone else was running a Pike or similar, with a minimum 140mm of travel. I was jumping, running big lines, going fast, and I never felt like I needed more fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the cable guide I have been struggling with the idea of how to route brake lines on this fork. I found several options on ebay that should solve the issue.
    RockShox Reverb Hydraulic Line Frame Guide

This is similar to the one I run on both Wren: RockShox Hydraulic Cable Tubing Line Hose Frame Guides 2 Guides Fits Reverb | eBay

Works perfect, you just need to find the sweet spot for placement. I'm running SRAM Guides, they have an adjustable line position, I have the hyraulic line angled up the leg, the line guide is positioned on the front of the leg, in line with the stanchion protector, ~150mm up from the stanchion protector.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 05-17-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    RockShox Reverb Hydraulic Line Frame Guide

This is the one I run on both Wren: RockShox Hydraulic Cable Tubing Line Hose Frame Guides 2 Guides Fits Reverb | eBay

Works perfect, you just need to find the sweet spot for placement. I'm running Guides, they have an adjustable line position, I have mine angled up the legs, the line guide is positioned on the front of the leg, in line with the stanchion protector, ~150mm up from the stanchion protector.
    Do you mind posting a pic of the placement?
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Do you mind posting a pic of the placement?
    Yeah, I just need to go home, snap a pic, then I'll post it tomorrow.

It also helps to have the brake line short enough so there's room for it to extend vertically.

Wren 150mm Tuning/Setup Guide-20160516_211620_resized.jpgWren 150mm Tuning/Setup Guide-20160516_211640_resized.jpg
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 05-17-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, I just need to go home, snap a pic, then I'll post it tomorrow.

It also helps to have the brake line short enough so there's room for it to extend vertically.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160516_211620_resized.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	1070864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160516_211640_resized.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	1070865
    Thanks. I just ordered some of the guides you linked to. Gotta install the Goodridge Stainless lines this weekend. These guides should work out perfect.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Russ and I were talking about setup, here is some new tuning info for you-

"Our suggestion is to start with 30 pounds top and bottom - be sure you start from empty - and set your sag. Continue to add equally top and bottom until sag is right. Then ride the bike to see where you are. If you add more air to top only, you will get a plusher feel. If you add more air to bottom only, you will get a stiffer feel. The tricky part is that you will always measure equal pressures top and bottom because our sliding piston that divides the air chamber in half equalizes the pressure BUT changes the volume of the chambers. The volume of each chamber is hard to determine and we know it will be confusing to consumers, but it works! So, more air in top gives you a larger top volume and plusher ride. More air in bottom enlarges that volume and creates a stiffer ride."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Russ and I were talking about setup, here is some new tuning info for you-

"Our suggestion is to start with 30 pounds top and bottom - be sure you start from empty - and set your sag. Continue to add equally top and bottom until sag is right. Then ride the bike to see where you are. If you add more air to top only, you will get a plusher feel. If you add more air to bottom only, you will get a stiffer feel. The tricky part is that you will always measure equal pressures top and bottom because our sliding piston that divides the air chamber in half equalizes the pressure BUT changes the volume of the chambers. The volume of each chamber is hard to determine and we know it will be confusing to consumers, but it works! So, more air in top gives you a larger top volume and plusher ride. More air in bottom enlarges that volume and creates a stiffer ride."
    I've had no success mucking with the lower air, so I set the top at what I need to keep from maxing travel, right now I'm at 75psi, I weigh 195#. CCI runs about 150psi.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Second ride on the Wren today. Still loving the performance but it seems to have developed a creaking/groaning noise. Intermittent, but most obvious when climbing. Haven't managed to replicate it without riding a trail. Going to examine my QR and think about where it should be greased or anti seized, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this kind of noise from their Wren? 90% sure it is the fork at this stage, but reserving the right to be wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I haven't had that creak. My TA is greased with Park grease.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Second ride on the Wren today. Still loving the performance but it seems to have developed a creaking/groaning noise. Intermittent, but most obvious when climbing. Haven't managed to replicate it without riding a trail. Going to examine my QR and think about where it should be greased or anti seized, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this kind of noise from their Wren? 90% sure it is the fork at this stage, but reserving the right to be wrong.
    Does it creak when you compress the fork when standing while climbing?

Check the bar/stem clamp, reset the headset, make sure it's not binding.

My Mutz does some creaking, it ended up being the seat post, though I could have swore up and down that it was the suspension.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The Bluto holds the Mutz back> Running a Bluto is not unlike running a 120mm travel Reba on a AM bike; you just can't run a noodley short travel fork on a bike that has big bones, big wheels, and 140mm of swingarm travel.

For perspective, the trails I rode this past weekend in BC:

Sumas Mountain (Knob Gobbler, etc) - Sumas Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Rode everything at Tamihi - Tamihi (Chilliwack River) Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

The Wren hangs with the big boys, everyone else was running a Pike or similar, with a minimum 140mm of travel. I was jumping, running big lines, going fast, and I never felt like I needed more fork.

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @ Nurse Ben : it might be fantastic to ride these trails

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    @ Nurse Ben : it might be fantastic to ride these trails
    Fraser Valley riding was awesome, but I think it'll pale with where we're heading next week: The Sunshine Coast

https://freehubmag.com/articles/sunshine-coast-guide

BC riding is crazy, it's no wonder that someone like Steve Smith could dominate World Cup, the trails are scary steep, continuous, nasty stuff at every turn, truly a "controlled fall".

I never wear pads, but I got some now...even thinking about a full face!

So in answer to folks questions about the Wren being "tough enough". I'm no downhiller, but I ride hard, and I'm not light (#200/90kg), and the Wren goes where I point it and it doesn't flex at all when diving into the gnarliest terrain.

Between the stiff Foes frame, strong wheels, a burly fork, and plus sized tires, I feel like I can pretty much ride anything I have the balls to tackle. It's not a DH bike, but the Mutz at full travel is certainly an Enduro bike, one with heft

pit
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

So in answer to folks questions about the Wren being "tough enough". I'm no downhiller, but I ride hard, and I'm not light (#200/90kg), and the Wren goes where I point it and it doesn't flex at all when diving into the gnarliest terrain.

Between the stiff Foes frame, strong wheels, a burly fork, and plus sized tires, I feel like I can pretty much ride anything I have the balls to tackle. It's not a DH bike, but the Mutz at full travel is certainly an Enduro bike, one with heft
    Exactly what i wanted to know..

...my bluto looses air during 3 or 4 hours riding out on my Mutz ......there's (again, like when i used the bluto for the first time and ask to Rock Shox a warranty service when the product was all new, put out of the box on the front of my bike) a noticable side to side play between stanchions and the "legs"......worst fork i've ever own , and i'm not a downhiller too......

Thanks Nurse Ben

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Any of you guys running the 110mm travel option? I'm on the fence for my Wednesday which fork in gonna try out.
    http://buynow.wrensports.com/product...b-110mm-travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Haste11 View Post
    Any of you guys running the 110mm travel option? I'm on the fence for my Wednesday which fork in gonna try out.
    Wren Suspension Forks | Wren Sports

I would suggest to buy the 150mm travel Version and then reduce it to 110mm. You will have the option to use the fork for other bikes, that needs longer travel also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish2010 View Post
    I would suggest to buy the 150mm travel Version and then reduce it to 110mm. You will have the option to use the fork for other bikes, that needs longer travel also.
    I would technically agree, but the description only shows that it can be reduced to 120. On the other hand, the 110 version can be reduced down to 80. Can the 150 version be reduced down to something more than 120?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I would technically agree, but the description only shows that it can be reduced to 120. On the other hand, the 110 version can be reduced down to 80. Can the 150 version be reduced down to something more than 120?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    It should not be a problem to go 10mm more. Technically you just need one more clip of 10mm. The 80 should also be possible to reduce to 80mm.

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Getting ready for the summer:

mtbr member
    120mm is the shortest travel possible on the 150mm fork according to the guys at Wren.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=vmk;12647176]Getting ready for the summer:
    [IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/

I have to ask about that fender, can you tell me what it is and where you got it?

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    It's carbon fiber, got it from my shed after some tinkering. I printed the fixing parts from PLA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What are you putting it on? I'm running the 110 (@110) on my Fatboy. There were a few times climbing that I thought it may need to come down 10 but if I run it plush it's phenomenal for roots, rock gardens and descending while enabling me to load it and keep it down when climbing in the saddle.

Rumble - The longer travel version can't be reduced below 120.

Hey did you guys know that we also have these in 100 and 110 hub widths? Need a fork for your 29er or plus bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    What are you putting it on? I'm running the 110 (@110) on my Fatboy. There were a few times climbing that I thought it may need to come down 10 but if I run it plush it's phenomenal for roots, rock gardens and descending while enabling me to load it and keep it down when climbing in the saddle.

Rumble - The longer travel version can't be reduced below 120.

Hey did you guys know that we also have these in 100 and 110 hub widths? Need a fork for your 29er or plus bike?
    Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't think I would want a fork with more than 100mm of travel on that bike. The stock A to C is 468 and at 100mm it would be 510 (minus sag) so unless you are looking to slack out the front end and gain some bb clearance I wouldn't go longer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For Sale: Wren 150mm hub spacing x 110mm Travel.

Excellent condition, ridden three times, no damage, looks new, travel/A-C reduceable to 100-80mm.

Great fork for hard tail fat bike or short travel full suspension fat bike (Bucksaw).

Steerer cut to 8.5", star nut installed, cc race if you want it.

I bought this fork for my fat tandem, but we decided to sell the tandem, so the fork is for sale.

$899 retail, I'll let it go for $700 plus shipping.

Send a PM for details.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So a question for you guys. I am thinking about sending Wren an e-mail about moving the disc break mount to the right side of the fork or at least giving two mounting options. It really is silly for housing routing to have the front disk on the left when the lever is on that side also and front hubs and spin either direction, so why not move the mount to the other side to make housing routing better.

mtbr member
    So a question for you guys. I am thinking about sending Wren an e-mail about moving the disc break mount to the right side of the fork or at least giving two mounting options. It really is silly for housing routing to have the front disk on the left when the lever is on that side also and front hubs and spin either direction, so why not move the mount to the other side to make housing routing better.
    Yeah, because they could whip that up, nice, quick and at no extra cost to the customer. You're seriously approaching "Princess" territory with this request. If it bothers you so much, try swapping brake lever positions.

I mean - seems like everyone else has solved the issue enough to go ride their bikes.
    Howell, Michigan

is buachail foighneach me
    Because they would have to design a dropout with a backward brake mount in order to get the caliper to align with the rotor. At which point your cable routing would be all f-ed up at the caliper. Or they would have to run the caliper backward on the front of the fork leg, which I'm guessing would increase the stress on the caliper mounts and dropouts, at least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scot_douglas View Post
    Yeah, because they could whip that up, nice, quick and at no extra cost to the customer. You're seriously approaching "Princess" territory with this request. If it bothers you so much, try swapping brake lever positions.

I mean - seems like everyone else has solved the issue enough to go ride their bikes.
    Why kind of stupid over reaction response is this? Without people suggesting ideas not in the status quo we would not have the types of bikes designs we have today.

Sean Salach thanks for the rational response as to why it is not a workable idea.

mtbr member
    Why kind of stupid over reaction response is this? Without people suggesting ideas not in the status quo we would not have the types of bikes designs we have today.
    It's a reaction to one of the slowest, most timid bike builds I have ever known. Princess.
    Howell, Michigan

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It's a reaction to one of the slowest, most timid bike builds I have ever known. Princess.
    Look at the internet tough guy, lol!!!

Just when you don't think the forums could get any worse.

I assume you are referencing the FS bike this fork is going on, tell you what PayPal me the cash I need to finish the build and it will get done. Otherwise just go away and let the adults talk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess
    Look at the internet tough guy, lol!!!

Just when you don't think the forums could get any worse.

I assume you are referencing the FS bike this fork is going on, tell you what PayPal me the cash I need to finish the build and it will get done. Otherwise just go away and let the adults talk.
    Heh. Stop being such a pansy.

I'm here for the long haul, sweetie, as I'm interested in this fork. You think being critical of your self-centered ignorance is being a tough guy, you need to re-zero and span your attitude.
    Howell, Michigan

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Heh. Stop being such a pansy.

I'm here for the long haul, sweetie, as I'm interested in this fork. You think being critical of your self-centered ignorance is being a tough guy, you need to re-zero and span your attitude.
    I posted an idea and have been explained (by an adult) why it is not a viable idea.
    But are just acting like a child and distracting the a thread that has valuable information in it.

So sorry folks for this distraction in the thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Take it off line, seriously, this is supposed to be a tech thread for a fork.

So, any takers on my fork?

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    A quick tuning tip for the older 100mm single air model. Sorry if I spoil the 150mm tech talk with some old school stuff.

1. Add something solid in the air cavity. I used wood, a lot of it after some experimenting. Make sure that the piston doesn't hit waht ever you dump there.

2. Increase the negative spring tension. I printed a PLA-shim for that (will do that to the air chamber too when I have some time). And again, if you put too much, the travel will decrease and you may damage the fork and die. The max. seems to be around 30mm, I've that much in there. A heavier spring should work too, but I didn't have one in my pile of "this is something that I might use for something someday". I was tempted to dump the whole air spring assembly and put in a Lefty spring to see what happens, but that would most likely ruin the inner surface and the air piston would not work after that...

This made my single air fork work the way I want it. Super plush suspension, that doesn't bottom out in big hits or steep downhills.

Try at your own risk...

mtbr member
    Is this fork still for sale?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jtawausau View Post
    Is this fork still for sale?
    My fork?

Yes, it's sitting on my work bench dreaming of dirt

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So some further information on my occasional noise from my Wren fork. Took the air side apart today to have a look and noticed some very light scoring to the stanchion. Couldn't see it on the bike but visible when cleaned and held up to the light. I think this was caused by the seal inside the collar - see picture. You can clearly see some bare metal where the seal has either worn away or just not been present from the start. I'm assuming this is a manufacturing defect as the fork has only seen 15 hours use.
    Will contact the UK distributor on Monday and see what they have to say. Disappointing because I'm loving the way this fork works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wren 150mm Tuning/Setup Guide-collar2.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So some further information on my occasional noise from my Wren fork. Took the air side apart today to have a look and noticed some very light scoring to the stanchion. Couldn't see it on the bike but visible when cleaned and held up to the light. I think this was caused by the seal inside the collar - see picture. You can clearly see some bare metal where the seal has either worn away or just not been present from the start. I'm assuming this is a manufacturing defect as the fork has only seen 15 hours use.
    Will contact the UK distributor on Monday and see what they have to say. Disappointing because I'm loving the way this fork works.
    Please let us know how you get on today, was about to order myself a pair from Cranknuts, but will wait to see what they say on this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.johnston View Post
    Please let us know how you get on today, was about to order myself a pair from Cranknuts, but will wait to see what they say on this.
    Not a lot to report at this stage. I emailed yesterday and got two replies back on the Sunday evening which is encouragingly prompt - one from Cranknuts and one from Overspoke bike shop which is the warranty center. Both emails with an apologetic tone which is rare in my experience of warranty type issues with other manufacturers. Overspoke have said they have not seen this issue before and are keen to inspect the fork in order to decide how to progress. I'm off to package it up now. Will let you know what transpires later.
    It's a bit annoying, but I wouldn't let my experience put you off buying a Wren fork. There must be enough of them out there now, that this would have been picked up on if it was not an isolated incident. I'm guessing it was a duff seal from the start - just unlucky. The rest of the internals looked solid.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's a bit annoying, but I wouldn't let my experience put you off buying a Wren fork. There must be enough of them out there now, that this would have been picked up on if it was not an isolated incident. I'm guessing it was a duff seal from the start - just unlucky. The rest of the internals looked solid.
    True, will give them a ring before hand anyway, thanks for the reassurance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I got my first real ride on this fork and it is awesome!!! Thanks for starting this thread so that I found out about this fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hi B! Russ from Wren. Saw your post and wanted to reassure you that the seal is not defective. What you see is a molding mark that occurs when the seal is popped from the mold. It will be found on all of our seals and it is in an area that does not contact the stanchion. The most important part of the seal is the flexible edge of the seal where it contacts the stanchion. This is where damage or wear can occur. I'm glad you are enjoying the fork. You are dealing with a great group in Cranknuts. Thank you for riding Wren!
    Not a lot to report at this stage. I emailed yesterday and got two replies back on the Sunday evening which is encouragingly prompt - one from Cranknuts and one from Overspoke bike shop which is the warranty center. Both emails with an apologetic tone which is rare in my experience of warranty type issues with other manufacturers. Overspoke have said they have not seen this issue before and are keen to inspect the fork in order to decide how to progress. I'm off to package it up now. Will let you know what transpires later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone heard any recent news of the new 10mm clip?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Russ from Wren again. I just received a few samples of the 10mm clip and can send one to you, just need mailing address. These new clips will now be packed in with each fork so you will get 1 - 10mm and 1 - 20mm both good for adjusting travel only, or travel and AC together. Also, see response above regarding your bushing question. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for that Russ and for previous reply on the seal. Fork back on the bike and performing well, but still making a disconcerting noise. Going to tape an old phone to each stanchion in turn to record sound to try and find out where it is coming from. Doesn't make the noise from cold for some reason. Needs 45 minutes of riding to get the squeak/groan going. Last time I was out I waited until the noise appeared and removed the front wheel so I could move each stanchion independently, but couldn't replicate the noise. Other than that, loving the performance.

since 4/10/2009
    Got a 110mm travel/150mm hub Wren ordered for my Bucksaw. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it in hand and installed in time for a trip to N. GA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for that Russ and for previous reply on the seal. Fork back on the bike and performing well, but still making a disconcerting noise. Going to tape an old phone to each stanchion in turn to record sound to try and find out where it is coming from. Doesn't make the noise from cold for some reason. Needs 45 minutes of riding to get the squeak/groan going. Last time I was out I waited until the noise appeared and removed the front wheel so I could move each stanchion independently, but couldn't replicate the noise. Other than that, loving the performance.
    If the performance is alright there is nothing to worry about the sound. What changes its the grease that gets warm after a while and changes the sound. The fork is assembled with a lot of it so you need to use the fork to get it to settle. I had the same sign of wear, actually it was a little sign of a stripe the surface of the inner fork leg. There has not fit worse so just observe to find out if it is getting worse. If you really want to get rid of the noise you can open the fork and clean out the grease. Just make sure to use Slick Honey and enough to get low friction. You will always get noise when using the rebound.

mtbr member
    This thread is making it *very* hard to resist a Wren.

Since I'm in the EU, I'm wondering how old the stock is at Cranknuts, and if I buy one now, it'll have all the recent improvements. I'm a big Clyde and I need all the help I can get with the fork.
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    This thread is making it *very* hard to resist a Wren.

Since I'm in the EU, I'm wondering how old the stock is at Cranknuts, and if I buy one now, it'll have all the recent improvements. I'm a big Clyde and I need all the help I can get with the fork.
    Purchased mine from them a few weeks ago. All good so far and it was the latest one with guards and spacers. They mentioned getting more in stock as well.

mtbr member
    As they say in Sweden, tack s mycket!
    Yamaguchi Cross YT Jeffsy Salsa Mukluk & Vaya Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just give in to the pressure.....

I have had mine 5 months. Loving it. Did 1 miles of roots, rocks, and knarl this morning and the fork did awesome. The Mutz with Wren has rekindled my love of the sport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RussJ View Post
    Russ from Wren again. I just received a few samples of the 10mm clip and can send one to you, just need mailing address. These new clips will now be packed in with each fork so you will get 1 - 10mm and 1 - 20mm both good for adjusting travel only, or travel and AC together. Also, see response above regarding your bushing question. Thanks!
    Thanks Russ, just got it installed, 140mm of sweet inverted suppleness, off for a ride now.

So easy to make changes on these forks, nothing like the bother of changing air shafts on a SRAM fork.

Maintenance is so much easier as well, sealed aystem, drop a leg, no mess.

Edit: Got in a nice hour of mixed riding with the Wren set at 140mm travel and the rear of my Mutz bumped to 140mm. The additional height slacked me out to 66deg, felt great.

I dropped the pressure from 75psi to 65psi, then added the same on the bottom. It was a tad firm so I took it down to 60psi which worked well.

I run anywhere ftom 1-2 turns of rebound depending on terrain.

At this point I'm not sure why anyone would ride a Bluto, perhaps on a grocery getter or BD bike
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 07-11-2016 at 07:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Running one now, works great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Would love to hear your thoughts. I have a Bucksaw Carbon, and I'm considering this fork.

mtbr member

Did you go with a Wren for your Wednesday? I would like to see pics if you did. Seems like the best option.
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
    Would love to hear your thoughts. I have a Bucksaw Carbon, and I'm considering this fork.
    Get the Wren150mm x 150mm, reduce it until it feels good, 120, 130, or 140.

It's a pound more than the Bluto, that's the penalty, otherwise it's the best fat bike fork available.

Not that it matters, but I get a fair number of comments on the Wren, like "cool looking fork"

Other than the burliness of the Wren, I really like how easy it is to adjust and maintain.

since 4/10/2009
    Get the Wren150mm x 150mm, reduce it until it feels good, 120, 130, or 140.

It's a pound more than the Bluto, that's the penalty, otherwise it's the best fat bike fork available.

Not that it matters, but I get a fair number of comments on the Wren, like "cool looking fork"

Other than the burliness of the Wren, I really like how easy it is to adjust and maintain.
    Probably a poor suggestion for the Bucksaw. Salsa is pretty particular about the travel/a-c on the bike. They really don't want you to deviate from the dimensions of the 100mm Bluto. That is why I stayed with the 110mm version.

since 4/10/2009
    Got my 110mm Wren installed today. So much stiffer than the Bluto. And the 110 so far feels like a solid match for the Bucksaw. Total bike weight is now over 33lbs, but does not ride much different.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Nice!
    Looks good on the Bucksaw!
    I have never ridden a Bluto but looked at them on other bikes and the Wren defiantly looks way stiffer and a lot beefier compared to the Bluto.
    Which effects the weight a bit (I believe???) but I am sure glad I went with the Wren.
    For me the Bluto looked small for a Fat bike fork but that is my opinion.
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Got my Wren 110mm fork earlier today.

It will be replacing the stock 100mm Bluto that came with my new bike. I pouldn't get to like the Bluto, even sent it off to TFT ( in the UK), to work their magic on it.

Came back from TFT with resized bushing and low friction seals, was better, but not that great an improvement.

This thread had caught my attention, and liked the look of the fork, so I have just fitted it this afternoon.

Starting off with 40 psi in both top and bottom chambers and the rebound setting close to its fastest setting.

Quick ride on the Tarmac and jumping off kerbs show it is better than the Bluto already.

Will have a proper off road ride tomorrow, taking the shock pump with me to fine tune any pressures.

Unfortunately, I feel there may be some haters, it is fitted to a Felt Lebowsk e fat bike ( ebike), but the increased stiffness on such a weighty beast is needed.

I'll post back with a ride report and some images.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Did you go with a Wren for your Wednesday? I would like to see pics if you did. Seems like the best option.
    I'm still riding it rigid, pretty torn tbh. I really like a rigid bike but some of the trails around me can beat ya up with no suspension. Through fox I get a sweet EP deal so I might go with the 27.5+ 34 boosted. Not sure if wren does EPs.

Biggest draw back with the fox is can't readily swap forks from suspension to rigid if I re-lace my wheel sets from 150 to 110.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Had a few rides on my new Wren fork.

Initially I had to faff about with the air pressure settings, but having read all of this thread I have settled on 60/60 psi , I weigh 185 lbs with riding kit.

Still fine tuning the rebound setting, but I'm not too far off it now.

Much better than the Bluto, more controlled and better tracking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wren 150mm Tuning/Setup Guide-gr011221.jpg  

Wren 150mm Tuning/Setup Guide-gr011223.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis9999 View Post
    Had a few rides on my new Wren fork.

Initially I had to faff about with the air pressure settings, but having read all of this thread I have settled on 60/60 psi , I weigh 185 lbs with riding kit.

Still fine tuning the rebound setting, but I'm not too far off it now.

Much better than the Bluto, more controlled and better tracking.
    Who makes the cable guide on your fork, or did it come with your Wren?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Question for Wren owners-
    Have Wren owners experienced creaking steerer/stanchion tube?
    My experience with Bluto forks is that after while they develop the "creaking" in steerer tube/stanchion that just progressively gets worse l, then I send them away for warranty & is fixed for a while.... Repeat....
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have had no creaking from the fork itself, my only fork noise was the brake caliper being not properly torqued. And a temporary noise from the QR axle.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHKeys View Post
    I have had no creaking from the fork itself, my only fork noise was the brake caliper being not properly torqued. And a temporary noise from the QR axle.
    Yeah, I started getting the thru axle squeak on my wren. Light bit of grease on the hemisperical contact points quieted it down right away. No different than a creaky seatpost.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    dirt-nerd - How old is your fork? The newest generation of the fork shouldn't have that happen.

JCH and Harold - Yup a little bit of lubrication goes a long way

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My Bluto was 7 months old & kept getting worse... So I was thinking of trying the Wren & it sounds promising. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    On the newest version of the fork the base of the steerer tube where it's pressed into the crown is scored and we use a 3M adhesive when it's pressed to (hopefully) eliminate the twisting that can occur with the additional rotational torque from fat tires/rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have the new -17 FATLAB 120mm fat fork.. Its the same as 120 Wren dual air.

Have You notice any flat spot in top position of the fork. It appear when driving over small roots, rocks etc. You can feel "clonk" in the fork in top position right before fork begins to compress. Its like fork has 3 stage, flat spot (feels like small clonking/free movement) then sag and then compression... How to fix this... ? And this fork is only 1 week old, driven 100 miles.

Also free move appears to feel more after riding an hour or more...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Had the same thing when I first set mine up, air pressure was setup wrong. When checking air you have to make sure you put the same amount of strokes top and bottom and not so much looking at the psi, I am at 55 strokes top and bottom and is awesome. Hope that makes sense.
    From what I understand, putting an equal number of pumps top and bottom is a great starting point, then you can experiment with more pumps in the lower chamber (more firm and progressive) or more pumps in the upper chamber (less firm, more plush). I seem to be finding that putting more pumps in the lower chamber is helping me avoid the hard bottom-outs I was experiencing at first when going over "larger" drops.

I think Wren recommends putting equal numbers of pumps in initially to find what it takes to get the desired sag, then adjusting from there. I'm still experimenting but have been trying to address some wrist pain (probably arthritis from all of the riding I've done over the years) by creating a more plush ride, so I'm currently using about 33 pumps lower/40 pumps upper at 170 lbs bodyweight. This may change as I get more rides on the fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hi J!
    I was going to suggest you start over with your air settings, but GT took care of that for me! Thanks, Turd! (just wanted to say that.) Our system is a little tricky, but once you have the hang of it, it works great. Counting pump strokes is the way to go. We have a sheet on our website SERVICE page that explains setup. Start with zero air top and bottom and add EQUAL pump strokes top and bottom to set your sag. Always equal top and bottom to start. This keeps the 2 chamber volumes equal. Then once you have your sag, add more air to top only for a plusher ride, or more air to bottom only for a stiffer ride. You are changing the relative volumes of the two chambers to change the ride characteristics. The pressure, if measured, will be virtually equal top and bottom because of the sliding piston that divides the chambers. Once you have your ride setting, if you find you need more resistance to bottom out from that ride setting, add equally to top and bottom again.
    All forks will take a little time to break in. But after 100 miles you should be beyond break in. If the fork is always sticky when you start riding, I would check the lubrication. Not sure what Fatlab uses. We specify Slick Honey for most all the lube in the fork (the oil damper is sealed) but we use Molykote 55 on all piston O-rings in the air spring. This is an expensive grease but makes a big difference.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks to FitmanNJ for chiming in too!
    Russ / Wren

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Where can the oil damper be serviced?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just bought a kona wozo, and after having a lefty on my ict, I'm hesitant to go back to the bluto.

Is the latest generation of these forks pretty much ready to go? Or are things still being worked out?

When the fork needs service, is it as easy to do as the bluto or will I need to send it to wren?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    With a basic knowledge of how to wrench a bike you can follow their directions and do most of the work. Bushing, keys, and even a damper replacement are pretty easy. I have mine torn down waiting for some parts for a full rebuild after 6 months of using it in enduro races and at bike parks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Apart from flex, how does this compare to a bluto with rct3 damper?

Sorry if that's been answered.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Videos are pretty explanatory and if you are at all handy it is no problem to work on the Wren.
    It is a pretty beefy fork in my opinion and so far I have not noticed a lot of flex and I have taken it on some pretty rough trails. I can't compare it to a Bluto since I never owned one but having seen a Bluto I am sure glad I never bought one!
    I am not sure it would have worked for me!
    Not sure if that helps.......
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

vmk
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think that you can't do anything to the damper unit? It's sealed and probably similar as rear suspension units, needs nitrogen etc. to be serviced? I think that it's the biggest downside of this fork for me. Please prove me wrong...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Videos are pretty explanatory and if you are at all handy it is no problem to work on the Wren.
    It is a pretty beefy fork in my opinion and so far I have not noticed a lot of flex and I have taken it on some pretty rough trails. I can't compare it to a Bluto since I never owned one but having seen a Bluto I am sure glad I never bought one!
    I am not sure it would have worked for me!
    Not sure if that helps.......
    Oh it helps. I'm trying to fight the urge to just get one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Whatever I bought one to put in place of the 100mm bluto on my Wozo. Hope it's as awesome as everyone says...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am glad I stayed subscribed to this thread since I just resetup my fork, using the pump counts instead of pressure and wow what a difference. This fork has been awesome but I have been riding it with way too much pressure. Using the test curb by my house the difference is serious. Under the pressure setup the fork absorbed the curb but you could still feel it, where the pump counts it is like a 3in curb is just not there.

I am surprised that to set my sag for 130mm of travel is set with only 32 pumps on my shock pump and I am 230lbs. So looks like I am riding again tomorrow to see the difference.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Yep. since i got mine right I can't feel most rocks or roots and it make me go probably too fast for my own good.
    I am glad I stayed subscribed to this thread since I just resetup my fork, using the pump counts instead of pressure and wow what a difference. This fork has been awesome but I have been riding it with way too much pressure. Using the test curb by my house the difference is serious. Under the pressure setup the fork absorbed the curb but you could still feel it, where the pump counts it is like a 3in curb is just not there.

I am surprised that to set my sag for 130mm of travel is set with only 32 pumps on my shock pump and I am 230lbs. So looks like I am riding again tomorrow to see the difference.
    GiantT: Curious...how much do you weigh (leading to 55 strokes top and bottom)?
    GiantT and KenP: Have you found a specific rebound setting that you prefer?

Thanks -- I feel that it helps to learn from the experience of others!

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Whatever I bought one to put in place of the 100mm bluto on my Wozo. Hope it's as awesome as everyone says...
    The Wren will blow your mind once you get it set up. It is light years ahead of the Bluto. I rode a Bluto for 2 yrs and it was okay for being the only fork that we had to choose from back then. But since I have made the switch to the Wren 110, my bike feels and performs much better in the rough and is way more plush of a ride. And the lock out on the Wren, is a true lock out, no movement.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

blood in / blood out
    Wren 150mm Tuning/Setup Guide-wren-hydro.jpg

For those wondering how to clamp their front hydro hose, I bought some hose clamps that work for a Lefty. I have one mounted high just under the crown and the other I have mounted on the turn nut between the fork leg and stanchion. Hope this helps out some of you looking for a way to route the hydro line and keep it in a safe place.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    GiantT: Curious...how much do you weigh (leading to 55 strokes top and bottom)?
    GiantT and KenP: Have you found a specific rebound setting that you prefer?

Thanks -- I feel that it helps to learn from the experience of others!
    The rebound I am still dorking with, I have not found a setting I really like yet.
    A little turn does seem to have a big effect at times.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    The Wren will blow your mind once you get it set up. It is light years ahead of the Bluto. I rode a Bluto for 2 yrs and it was okay for being the only fork that we had to choose from back then. But since I have made the switch to the Wren 110, my bike feels and performs much better in the rough and is way more plush of a ride. And the lock out on the Wren, is a true lock out, no movement.
    True lockout will be very nice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast