mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Would you own more than one fat bike?

If money is no object, would you buy more than 1 fat bike as you would with owning multiple mountain bikes? I.e 1 for trail riding with a bluto, 1 rigid for racing during the winter and all other excuses to buy another bike...

Post pix of your fat bike collection if you have more than 1 and why...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I don't contend with snow, but would buy the best/ lightest full sus fatty with a range of wheels and tires and doubt I would bother riding anything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I own two - a 1x11 Fatboy and a 1x10 9:zero:7. Both with Bluto and Bud/Lou on 100 mm rims but the Fatboy is gripstudded right now for ice and the 9:0:7 is just for snow.

Had the Fatboy first, the wife got into mtbing because of it. I had a chance to buy the practically-new 9:zero:7 in orange (I'm in deerhunting-crazy Pennsylvania) so the wife would be able to ride with me.

We're both 5'8" so we can use either bike which is nice. I just sold my Giant Reign - it just wasn't getting used as I have gone fat fulltime except for the DJ on the pumptrack or the DH at Killington, etc. several times a year.

Interplanetary Traveler
    I have an ICT and a Pugsley. ICT has a bluto and is my trail ripper. Pugs is set up for bike packing with racks, road/gravel tires, and a wider gear range.

turtles make me hot
    I started with a 190/135 9 Zero 7. Loved it. Then I got a 197/150 thru axle frame and was going to sell the old frame. After swapping wheels and tires to suit different conditions, I decided to build the old frame up with Big Fat Larrys on Clownshoes as a dedicated beach bike. it has a 1x11 drivetrain that I got cheap.
    My other bike has Darrys with 5" tires and a set of 29+ wheels.
    I have other bikes but the green 907 gets most of my attention.
    My son also has two. I'll be buyin' a Big Fat Dummy soon also. We're starting quite the collection.
    I like turtles

Professional Crastinator
    Not likely. My 29er still feels like a scalpel to my fatbike's bludgeon. I don't like to have a lot of overlap with my bikes. A few sets of wheels/tires would make perfect sense, though.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No, I don't really care to ride a fatbike in the summer much, too slow and sluggish. But I do have two wheelsets for my fatbike so I can have some options.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I have a Otso Voytek for faster smoother trails, gravel, snow, beach and the road. And a Turner King khan for when the trails require full suspension. There is a good amount of cross over between the two, but they each excell at something the other doesn't. Down to one 29'er that really doesn't do anything the fat bikes can't do as well other than pull my kid in a trailer

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have been thinking about building another fat bike... i already have a fatback skookum with bluto and considering of getting a rigid fat bike. I may just be convincing myself to get another bike... but should it be a fat bike?

I dont have any other bike other than a road bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a Pivot with a Bluto. And a Malamute full suspension. I had to get a second bike to entice the boys to go riding with me from time to time out on the snow. They now enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Here's another option i am considering... instead of buying a new fat bike, i'll get a new set of wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a Mukluk and a Bucksaw. If the Bucksaw was on the scene 3 years earlier I probably would just have that one. My son is just big enough to ride the Bucksaw with the dropper slammed and the smaller tires give all the float he needs, so there is that side benefit to a 2nd bike. The Mukluk has 2 sets of wheels creating a 3rd variation on the theme.

Starting fresh today, I'd probably have just one. Given my situation, I'm happy riding them out with the versatility of tires fitting the bikes and use on varied terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Sure, I ride a fatbike because I think they are fun. They certainly aren't more useful in suburban TX. Right now, it is my only bike, and about 90% of my riding is paved city trails. The mukluk with a bluto is a compromise, but I think if I had more time to ride decent trails, I would go for a FS like the bucksaw, and a rigid for the pavement. Yeah, there are certainly better suited bikes for pavement, but fun + a bit more workout makes the fatbikes worth it for me.

mtbr member
    Personally I would own more than three. But I'm mental that way.

I have a fat gravel grinder, a fat trail bike, and a fat snow bike. I also have a pub fatbike that I built from spare parts. It's for locking outside the bar and not worrying too much about it getting stolen.

Oddly I've come back around to rigid only on my fatbikes. No real explanation for it. I've tried a couple front suspensions on them and I really like them better setup rigid. When I want squish I still grab my full suspension Niner Rip 9.

I have a lot of bikes.

mtbr member
    I have two that are very different. A rigid Mukluk and B-fat Bucksaw. I also have a 29+ single speed. I am a big fan of plus/fat wheeled bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsom View Post
    If money is no object, would you buy more than 1 fat bike as you ..... and why...
    If money is no object, I would own

- four ferraris,
    - a lambo,
    - three houses, and (why stop there)
    - two fat bikes.

mtbr member
    I've got a Trek Farley 2014 first year edition with the original Knard tires. I like this for road riding and trail riding.
    I also have a Surly Moonlander, steel frame and heavy, with a rear rack for carrying my chainsaw for trail maintenance and a full frame bag. and a handsaw mounted on the front fork. Tires, I'm running Vee Snowshoe 2XL which measure 26 x 5.2 and 31.102 overall height.

Northern NJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    One does it all for me, and I can only ride one at a time... so no I wouldn't own more than one personally.

I take that back - I'll be getting a fatty tandem at some point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    All good points gents! I'd like to buy another fat bike to convince my wife to ride with me, but if she really doesnt want to then i'll end up with 2 fat bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    All good points gents! I'd like to buy another fat bike to convince my wife to ride with me, but if she really doesnt want to then i'll end up with 2 fat bikes
    Get it for your wife. My wife rides and introduced 4 other women to trail riding by getting them on the fatty first. They all got hooked.
    The extra cush and traction just made it more fun.

If it doesn't work out you can always sell it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Absolutely!

I currently have a moonlander, (no mods) and looking for a FS for technical trails... Still in thinking-mode of which I should get..
    Whife and son also have one each..

nOOb
    May 2008
    If money is no object then of course. I have a Farley 7 now, I'd love a 22 lb carbon fatty for winter and summer beebopping around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i have a ss pugs (cos its a lovely purple and was cheap)

and cannondale cadd fat 1 with carbon rims and lefty

and a Hai Bike fat six E bike

and a ICT Im doing a custom rebuild on

But I think 4 is enough !

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've got a cheap one now... and hopefully a nice one at a later date.
    I like bikes

Jammin' Econo
    No. I love my fat bike, but it is a winter bike, and for occasional bikepacking trips for which it is advantageous. I don't need more than one to fit that bill.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A rigid fatty with suspension and multiple wheelsets.

If you really need a second fatty, I'd get a full suspension.

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    If money is no object then of course. I have a Farley 7 now, I'd love a 22 lb carbon fatty for winter and summer beebopping around.
    In the end, if we love our fat bikes, how could we say no?

I'm purchasing a second fat bike shortly, but my first will go to my daughter.
    If money were no object, I'd make her bike into a full fat winter bike with 5"+ tires.
    I'd keep my (incoming) Mr Big stuff for fun rides and tooling around - and for converting friends to fat.
    I'd buy a full squish carbon for DH/trails.. because why not?
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    I have 2. A custom dingle fatbike I made for riding through the desert on multi-week expeditions, and a Pugsley. I would like to swap the Pugsley for something symmetrical, more of a general purpose / fun rider for winter.

mtbr member
    Funny. I've been thinking about this question, wondering why, as a habitual n+1 bike hoarder, i dont already own more than one, and thus concluding i likely won't. I don't pretend to have a reason, though.

I own about 25 "working" bikes, but only one of them is a fatbike. The most irrational part of this is the fact that, for 7 months out of every year, the fatbike is the only one i can ride.

I think that by the time the bulky, slow, dark months are over, i just want to feel mobile, unencubered, light and quick. That includes everthing from bikes to bulky clothes to vehicles and other carry-along gear.

On the other hand, I still feel the same as i have since getting my first fatbike in 2010 or so: that i could NEVER AGAIN IMAGINE wasting money on a new mountain bike that couldn't fit at least 2.75 or 3" tires. That's easier now, and it's worth remembering that it's the case only BECAUSE of fatbikes (and surly)

mtbr member
    I own two. One is rigid and is used for bad weather and sand dunes. One has suspension and is used more for singletrack.

I had just the one rigid bike and it worked fine for everything, but having suspension sure makes riding bumpy stuff more fun!

is buachail foighneach me
    I have two.

My Fatback Corvus is low and slack(by my standards) and perfect for snow and speed.

I had a Meriwether built with east coast woods type geometry(short stays, high bb, NORBA head tube angle) for techier, rougher trails and summer bikepacking.

Both bikes can take similar wheel/tire sizes and I can swap wheelsets between them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The newer fat bikes are now designed for more than just 26" fat tires...........and they are now much lighter. plus size wheelsets (27.5 or 29) are options that will make the bike an enjoyable 4 season bike without weighing a ton.

Having said the above, I currently own a Sarma Shaman carbon fatbike with an XX1 build (weighing under 25 lbs - Large size) If I didn't already own a 29+ bike I would have opted for an addtional 29+ wheelset for the Shaman thus having a dynamite 4 season bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If money were no object, I'd rent one if there were snow where I was at the time.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    If I could would have a rigid and a full squish, both capable of handling most wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    I own two. One is rigid and is used for bad weather and sand dunes. One has suspension and is used more for singletrack.

I had just the one rigid bike and it worked fine for everything, but having suspension sure makes riding bumpy stuff more fun!
    Similar to what I was thinking... by having 1 with bluto for singletrack riding and 1 rigid for winter fatbike races. what would be a good rigid xc fatbike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would absolutely own another fat bike. I'm sold and it's probably going to be hard to go back to my 29er. So far I can't get enough of my rigid Beargrease, and I've only been riding dry trails, all with a stupid grin on my face. With a good set of studded tires, I can't wait to hit the snow next season.

I think if another fat bike was in the cards though financially, it would absolutely have to be one of the full suspension offerings out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris307 View Post
    I would absolutely own another fat bike. I'm sold and it's probably going to be hard to go back to my 29er. So far I can't get enough of my rigid Beargrease, and I've only been riding dry trails, all with a stupid grin on my face. With a good set of studded tires, I can't wait to hit the snow next season.

I think if another fat bike was in the cards though financially, it would absolutely have to be one of the full suspension offerings out there.
    Studded tires are awesome for the conditions that require them. I gripstudded a set and my boots and it made a huge difference. Can get expensive though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Studded tires are awesome for the conditions that require them. I gripstudded a set and my boots and it made a huge difference. Can get expensive though.
    Probably worth it though if you ride enough! I feel like tires are the best place to spend money on any bike. I like the 45nrth Hüsker Dü's that came on mine for the rocky/loose dry, but imagine they won't fare well next winter.

Out of curiosity, what tires are you using?

Jammin' Econo
    Similar to what I was thinking... by having 1 with bluto for singletrack riding and 1 rigid for winter fatbike races. what would be a good rigid xc fatbike?
    Or...you could just have one bike, and two different forks depending on the season. But hey, where's the fun in that?
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

turtles make me hot
    A couple of weeks ago we had 4 inches of snow fall, it went up to about 35 degrees and then down to 18. The trails were great except where they were icy. First time ever I wanted studded tires.
    Next winter I'm getting some Dillinger 5's or some studded Snowshoe XL's.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    if cost and/or space were no object, I would have several.

As it stands now, i have one with 2 wheelsets.

I would like a 3rd set for studded tires.
    Last edited by Swerny; 03-22-2017 at 06:33 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Fat bikes are one I'd be less inclined to own multiple of. At the most, two- one designated SS, and one geared. Both rigid. But that's it.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It also depends on your definition of "fat".

I don't have the need for 5"+ tires on 100mm rims, but if I did, then I'd run that bike as fully rigid and build it super light

My every day driver would still be an agile fat trail bike something like the Wozo with a couple sets of wheels, 26 x 4.8 and 27.5 x 3.8

Then my big hit bike would be a big travel B fat, something like the Fatillac, 140mm travel, shared wheels with the fatty trail bike.

I'd still need a lightweight xc bike like my Hendrix, mostly for all day excursions where I want some squish, but I don't want to haul along a heavy bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Have 2.

One Fatboy with only the original wheelset, derailleur and shifter left out of the original parts. Surprised the rear hub hasn't blown yet. I only use it for snow.

One Gravity singlespeed I leave at a friend's house to ride on the beach in CA.

Considering a carbon fatty with Bluto for summer. Not sure about going FS. Really don't need it where I live. I could just rent a FS on those occasions when I go to Moab.

mtbr member
    I saw this formula once and I think it applies well.( Edit-I also noticed it was referenced earlier in the post)

N+1

N=number of bikes currently owned
    Last edited by SalsaSalsa; 03-25-2017 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Currently riding/own a 2014 Fatboy expert...picking up Beargrease Carbon X1 in 2 weeks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Tire View Post
    Get it for your wife. My wife rides and introduced 4 other women to trail riding by getting them on the fatty first. They all got hooked.
    The extra cush and traction just made it more fun.

If it doesn't work out you can always sell it.
    Haha......that's what happened to me. I bought myself the Farley 9, then later, bought her the 5. She crashed once and stopped riding. So instead of selling the 5.......I bought a 9.6 with Lauf. I think I may have a problem. (-;

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by burtjason View Post
    Haha......that's what happened to me. I bought myself the Farley 9, then later, bought her the 5. She crashed once and stopped riding. So instead of selling the 5.......I bought a 9.6 with Lauf. I think I may have a problem. (-;
    Good one! I'll probly buy my wife a rigid fatbike so if in case she doesn't want to ride it then i wouldnt really mind...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris307 View Post
    Probably worth it though if you ride enough! I feel like tires are the best place to spend money on any bike. I like the 45nrth Hüsker Dü's that came on mine for the rocky/loose dry, but imagine they won't fare well next winter.

Out of curiosity, what tires are you using?
    Bud and Lou. I ride all winter.

Winter weather here varies so widely from dry fluffy snow to pure iced-over hiker boot postholing to sleet slush to mashed potatoes wet snow to bare clay covered in wet leaves.

Tried to get a tire that would handle it all decently - the gripstuds completed the total package.

Rednose/Greenback
    I've got two. A 2011 "greenback" Fatback and an Alfine 8 pugsley. Love 'em both.

Would you own more than one fat bike?-2016-08-10-15.21.05.jpg
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    Money no object: of course I would. Being sensible, I might choose a 29+ optimized frame and a regular 29" and a gravel grinder. Not having that option, I go with exchangeable wheels than I'm saving up for. Besides, I like having a guest bike or two...

mtbr member
    I have 3. One rigid, one with a Bluto, and one with a Lauf. Love them all. Sadly, I'm going to need to get rid of one before too long.