Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Would you buy a Dynamo hub for your fatty??

Would you buy a SON dynamo hub for your fatty, if you could get one...

Ktronik

mtbr member
    Between my GF and I, we have three on fatties...no other front hub worth buying, IMOSHO...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    So you got 100mm forks?? what about the 135mm front end guys??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Already did that Still need to get bushes to fit the hub (100mm) to my German A Flame fork (110mm)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would be interested, my only concern is wheel speed in the snow.

Harmonius Wrench
    I'd buy this one if it were made for fat bikes (135OLD)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No fatbike yet, but if I do, a dynohub is going on it if I don't go suspension-corrected.

mtbr member
    To me there is no perceptible difference from a regular 100mm hub...light on or off.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik View Post

Ktronik
    Have a look at Nick Carmen's experiences in gypsy by trade | Ridin' bikes and travelin' light. and more specifically Pugsmorphology | gypsy by trade. I think he's got a Shimano 100mm OLD front hub in a 100mm Pugsley fork.

I thought about it, but was concerned about their longevity when ridden hard off-road (Nick's going well to prove that this may be unfounded) and that I'd be going too slowly to generate much power for anything else other than lights.

I'm living in pretty sunny territory, so have opted for Solar for the next big trip.

mtbr member
    A good point that the slower speed of a fat bike particulary when snow/extreme terrain is unlikely to see the benefit of a dynamo hub

I would see the dynamo advantageous if you were using a fatty for adventure long distance touring which would then make sense to compliment it with a geared hub like a rohloff

so for everyday riding I wouldn't buy one, for a tour I'd at least consider one

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you made a custom 35mm adapter (like the Mukluk one, for specific for the front fork you were using), you could do it. Seems better to make a 135 dynamo though

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There IS a 135mm dyno hub:
    FH-C811
    Just might work...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    the 135 shimano hub doesn't make enough voltage. It is designed merely to recharge a Di2 battery for an auto-shift recreational grouppo.

Added to the fact that a us dealer cannot order one (I already looked into and my shimano rep can'te get me one :/)

g

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik View Post

Ktronik
    I am patiently waiting. I understand the son works down to 2-3 mph? It makes absolute sense to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    the 135 shimano hub doesn't make enough voltage. It is designed merely to recharge a Di2 battery for an auto-shift recreational grouppo.

Added to the fact that a us dealer cannot order one (I already looked into and my shimano rep can'te get me one :/)

g
    Greg - good info to have. Shimano is pretty random about how they sell the non-series components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by akbikeguy View Post
    I am patiently waiting. I understand the son works down to 2-3 mph? It makes absolute sense to me.
    My SON28 on my big dummy with an edulux works at walking pace but it flickers and isn't at anywhere near 100%... but there is enough light for walking.

That is on a 26" hookworm (2.5")... dunno how that'd translate to fatbike/29er wheel...

g

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have just installed The Plug II+ on my Fargo. It works pretty good at 8mph+ on my 2.35 Big Apples. I know the 'plus' is some inline circuit that helps boost the amperage at lower speed.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong about dynamo lights, but I think a light/hub combo for running at night in the winter would need to take into account at 30"+ total diameter wheel (my Bud on Clownshoe is a tall tire). Maybe the circuit would need to include an amperage booster like my Fargo setup. Also having a standlight or single bulb mode could help when things get slow on climbs and deep snow. Then it would kick into high/multi-light when speed comes up to avoid over riding the light.

PRETENDURO
    I’d consider buying one if I knew for sure that they could handle the rigors of technical trail riding (rocky/rooty/bumpy/loose/fast/catchin’ air/hard landings/muddy swamplike conditions/etc.).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Vagician
    I've wondered about these myself:
    Do they give much resistance?
    How about extreme cold weather?
    Durability?
    Reliability?
    135mm with disc brake?
    How much light can they push?

mtbr member
    yes. granted it generated sufficient energy at slow speeds. Especially up here in Alaska when my late morning and early afternoon rides are dark as night

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sylus View Post
    A good point that the slower speed of a fat bike particulary when snow/extreme terrain is unlikely to see the benefit of a dynamo hub

I would see the dynamo advantageous if you were using a fatty for adventure long distance touring which would then make sense to compliment it with a geared hub like a rohloff

My bike-based power 'reckoning' has been exactly for expedition use, and the trip I'm planning for is in the West Australian desert with no lack of rays! (and the bike does have a Rohloff). I'm after power for camera batteries, GPS and lights for pre-dawn and post-dusk riding. There may be day-time rest periods where Solar will be more use.

I can see myself trying hub-power out in the future, but for this trip there are no mechanical back-ups, so the reliability uncertainty and slow-speed problem won.

mtbr member
    I used mine (SONx2) on my fatties in Bethel Alaska, year round, extreme cold (-40f), mud, rain, dust, sideways snow...the bikes lived outside (no room in the apt)...no maintenance, no problem...took a licken, still ticken...

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by sylus View Post

I have never had any light issues at anything above 5mph in two winters with my dyno hub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a Dynamo hub for your fatty??-dyno-hub.jpg  

Last edited by Lars_D; 12-22-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’d consider buying one if I knew for sure that they could handle the rigors of technical trail riding (rocky/rooty/bumpy/loose/fast/catchin’ air/hard landings/muddy swamplike conditions/etc.).
    I have done some moderate technical stuff with them 4 or 5 times. No problems so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anybody have a feel for whats going on inside something like the Shutter Precision Dynamo hub ?? Wonder if its possible to cut and sleeve it out to 135mm ... I am up for having a go .. or at least giving a hub to a friend that has cnc lathes etc required for such a task.
    shoestring-racing.blogspot.com

Derailleur? No thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast