Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Wolvhammer - zipper issues?

I was finding the zippers on these boots a little stiff or sticky so I sprayed the teeth with silicone lube. LBS owner told me he has used a liquid wax lube on his and that they've had a pair come back with a broken zipper recently. Rumour has it the zipper for next year will be a beefier model.

Anyone here had any issue with the zipper breaking or tearing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I don't have a pair, but I've heard of a singular instance of the zipper separating from the rest of the boot.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    No issues here, but only had for 3 weeks now. My feet have never been warmer in winter on a bike though

mtbr member
    Sorry for your troubles. No issues with mine, After reading this I took a close look at them to make sure. So far solid, no signs of impending doom, operating smoothly and easily.

mtbr member
    The zipper pulls a little hard unless you align the outer material with the lower cuff as you pull the zipper. If you just pull the zipper without aligning everything first I think you're going to have problems sooner or later.

mtbr member
    An old trick I learned from my grandmother is to use a bar of soap and rub it on the zipper teeth. It took care of the stiffness and all works smoothly now.

mtbr member
    2 friends of mine had the zipper head pull off the zipper. 45NRTH said the problem is people are using the Velcro tab to pull the zipper up and this has put to much force on the zipper head causing it to separate from the zipper. They stated that the next run of boots will not have the Velcro tab on the zipper and the zipper its self will be upgraded to something stronger. Use the metal zipper pull on the zipper to zip up your boots not the Velcro tab per 45NRTH instruction to avoid that problem.

Cheers

Last edited by woody_8_5; 01-28-2013 at 11:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had the zipper separate from one of the sides after my first ride. I got home and called 45North and they took care of it. They set me a call tag for the old ones and two days later a new pair showed up. I am now very careful with the zippers but love the boots!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    IMHO for the price they charge, the boot should be 100% bulletproof with regards to construction.....no questions asked.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tried a pair on locally and the zipper separated on me twice while wearing them around the store. I might have misaligned the teeth the first time but I payed close attention when I zipped them up the second time. Would probably have bought them if they'd had another pair in my size but for that much $ the zipper issue concerned me. The shop said they sent that pair back to 45nrth. Guess I'm sticking with my Lakes for now.

mtbr member
    I haven't had an issue yet, but I can see how that can be done for sure. I'm going to try the bar of soap idea, more for preventative measure.
    Great boots for cold weather riding though, no complaints that ways.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looks like it wasn't just me then. Spray silicone is working well for me, though I might try some wax style chain lube I have kickin around. It sure wasn't very good chain lube ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You do need to pull up at an awkward angle as compare to most boots since they zipper is on the side. I can see how someone pulling straight up would have issues and possible damage the zipper and have difficulty.

That said I put a wax based lube on mine as I do any of my zippers that will see slush/snow etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woody_8_5 View Post
    2 friends of mine had the zipper head pull off the zipper. 45NRTH said the problem is people are using the Velcro tab to pull the zipper up and this has put to much force on the zipper head causing it to separate from the zipper. They stated that the next run of boots will not have the Velcro tab on the zipper and the zipper its self will be upgraded to something stronger. Use the metal zipper pull on the zipper to zip up your boots not the Velcro tab per 45NRTH instruction to avoid that problem.

Cheers

I had one of the zippers split the first time I zipped up the boots. I consciously made an effort to use the zipper pull instead of the Velcro tonight and the zippers seemed much easier to close up than normal. I must have been grabbing the Velcro and didn't even realize it.

I was out for 1.5 hours tonight in about 18F with a midweight smartwool sock, and my feet weren't even remotely close to not being toasty. They easily can go another 20 degrees or so for me, possibly more depending on the duration. I have a pair of Keen winter boots with 200g insulation, and they're every bit as warm as those boots. The odd thing is the Wolvhammers are narrower on the exterior of the boot, but roomier on the interior. I haven't tried the Lakes, but if you want to enjoy the benefits of clipless in the snow, the wolvies are definitely worth a look. I was able to power through a couple snowplow banks that I probably would have had to bail on with platforms tonight.

As far as the price, this is a niche hobby where nearly everything is $300 so I don't really mind. $300 for a pair of tires, $300 for a carbon fork, $300 for a crankset, $300 for a pair of warm boots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I also felt my zippers were a little difficult to zip up. I always felt that they could fail
    quickly.Always careful with them and made sure i pulled on the steel zipper tab itself .
    Then i spoke to a friends grandmother who said she applies cross country ski wax to zippers and this helps to keep them smooth.
    I tried this and it makes a difference.
    The zippers a for sure easier to do up.
    I do ski so i had some wax kicking around.
    It's cheap and easy to find
    It helps !!

mtbr member
    They charge $330 and have the customers work out the bugs. Sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    To be fair its a pretty minor thing and not like it's cause for a recall or anything. I had read of people having issues with the Boa on the Lakes too. For my typical use these boots have lived up to the hype YMMV

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There used to be these things, long pieces of rope I believe, that were used on hockey skates and snowboard boots. You could even dip them in wax so they wouldn't freeze up, and they were easy to replace and worked every time. Laces, I think they were called. What ever happened to them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Re: Wolvhammer - zipper issues?

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    There used to be these things, long pieces of rope I believe, that were used on hockey skates and snowboard boots. You could even dip them in wax so they wouldn't freeze up, and they were easy to replace and worked every time. Laces, I think they were called. What ever happened to them?
    Oddly enough, the W÷lvhammers have those archaic devices on the inner boot. The zipper and Velcro closure is only for the exterior boot.

mtbr member
    Anyone here had any issue with the zipper breaking or tearing?[/QUOTE]

I love their feel and performance, but they are a bear to get on. Its obvious to me that the zipper will fail prematurely, due to the stress necessary to get it zipped. Its ridiculous for the company to blame this on the consumer; its just the design. Same thing with the orange piece of nylon used to pull the inner boot on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My zipper broke the 3rd time wearing them (totally split out on a ride and didn't notice until the ride was over). So one boot zipper is useless but I can still use velcro and it stays shut without a problem. The other shoe, the zipper has had no problems. 45NRTH said they would exchange it for me when new stock becomes available late summer / fall. I was pretty bummed when they broke as well but they are very warm boots. i think the next batch will have an improved zipper design (I hope).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well I made it a whole 7 or 8 rides before my zipper blew. Wow, I knew it could happen having read kept up with this thread, but it still is kind of mind blowing to pay $325 and only get 7 or 8 rides in them. Oh well, hope my warranty covers this, had them less than 2 months. I love the boots other than this. They fit great, keep my feet warm, and I generally like the design.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    damn, that's amazing. When I first saw that product being launched, I'm like what else do they make... nothing apparel related. That's why leave the shoes to shoe manufactures...

Who wants to buy a Luis Vuiton fat bike? No one, and that's the point.

mtbr member
    2 pairs both zippers broke. 3rd pair ok so far

mtbr member
    after almost 2 months of frequent use, I very happy with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast