Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Wolvhammer warmer than Lake MXZ 303?

Just bought a set of Lake MXZ 303 and after two rides in 10 degree temps I'm not overly impressed with the warmth. I'm good for about an hour before the cold really gets to me. I will experiment with various sock layers, etc before I give up on them, but at this point would be willing to shell out the extra $ if the Wolhammer is substantially warmer. I realize this is somewhat subjective but I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has worn both? Thanks.

mtbr member
    They look marginally better than the Lakes. I think you’ll be warmer adding an over boot to the Lakes.
    A few friends of mine using 45 Nrths report that they are a little warmer, but you will still want to go up a few extra sizes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well, I'm rocking a size 50 in the lake so not sure I can find an overbook that would fit. My shoe size is a 13 wide so I'm stuck wearing monster truck size winter riding shoes.

Smash Mode: ON
    You could buy a LOT of these for the price of those wolvawhathavu's. Just saying...

Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Lakes

I agree with the last post. The toe Warmers go a long way!!! I also use Pearl Izumi neoprene MTB bootie covers(oversized) and aerogel insoles. I'm good to at least single digits so far with this setup and I don't have particularly warm feet. Good luck.

Human Test Subject
    I've heard that they're pretty equal if you add an aerogel insole. Haven't tried either myself though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I prefer the Lake MXZ303 over the Wolhammer. I found them to be more comfortable and just as warm if not warmer. Plus the price is more reasonable

mtbr member
    Wolvhammers have kept my feet warm for several hours in single digit temps. They are my first winter boot and so far I don't have anything but good things to say about them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not trying to thread hijack but how to the Lake 302's compare to the 303's in the warmth dept or in general for that matter? I currently have had the 302's for 4 seasons and will be looking to upgrade soon. Thanks

-Mark

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have Lake 302’s they are a couple of sizes big for me I wear a pair of heavy Filson wool socks. Also I make sure I do not crank my boots to tight and if it get below about -10F REI sells a cover for downhill ski boots that fit good over my boots. The covers have a hole in the bottom that allows you to clip in with no modifications. I have not found any other covers that will work over larger boots. I have friends that have Wolvhammers and they don’t seem to be any better than the Lakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a pr of Lake 303s and with a Swiftwick wool sock I am good for 4 hrs at 10 degrees or less. Havent done a ride over 2.5 hrs with temps below zero. I have had NO issues. I went up a size.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    REI sells a cover for downhill ski boots that fit good over my boots. The covers have a hole in the bottom that allows you to clip in with no modifications.
    Are you referring to these?
    BootGlove at REI.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes throughs our the ones I use

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the Lakes, and although we have not had much of a winter, we did have a week of 0-15 degree temps. I rode every day for 2-3 hours with just the Lakes and one heavy sock. They were great. Now if I can just keep my hands warm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igere View Post
    Just bought a set of Lake MXZ 303 and after two rides in 10 degree temps I'm not overly impressed with the warmth. I'm good for about an hour before the cold really gets to me. I will experiment with various sock layers, etc before I give up on them, but at this point would be willing to shell out the extra $ if the Wolhammer is substantially warmer. I realize this is somewhat subjective but I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has worn both? Thanks.
    I used the wülvhammers up to -15C and never had cold feet.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Just order some Lake 303s from nashbar through amazon for 237.99$ Amazon.com: Lake MXZ 303 Winter Cycling Shoe: Sports & Outdoors
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Riding in -20c conditions for 3 hours today in hammers with no cold feet at all, medium weight smartwool sock. I find them snug at the cuff but roomier in the bottom, so good toe wiggle room

mtbr member
    ...totally won't work for me then...we only get temps in F here...

If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Do the spd cleats still pack snow to ice on these? That's my biggest issue with mtb shoes in the snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChad View Post
    Do the spd cleats still pack snow to ice on these? That's my biggest issue with mtb shoes in the snow.
    Have you tried spraying them with WD-40 or similar prior to riding? I think they make a small bottle size that you could carry for reapplication if necessary. I find that it helps, though I'm on Eggbeaters these days.

Has anyone tried the Scott Heater MTB shoes? On the surface, they look a lot like their normal MTB shoes, but built with an enclosed upper. Maybe a different insole as well? I know Scott shoes aren't that common, but the prices are well under the Lakes. Wondering if they work half as well...

turtles make me hot
    I don't have any experience with the Wolvhammers but I went for a 2 1/2 hour ride tonight in my Lake 303's. I was only wearing a single pair of Under Armour socks and my feet were toasty warm.
    19 degrees.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another 2hr ride at 15F in the 303's yesterday. Toes still a little cold by the end but better. I've got plenty of wiggle room as I went up two sizes to accommodate my wide foot. Going to try a thin sock liner under my mid weight smartwools and also toe warmers.

I paid $175 from Nashbar a few weeks ago with one of their coupons. At that price I'm keeping them regardless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ...totally won't work for me then...we only get temps in F here...

lol...well at least we're on the same page at -40

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChad View Post
    I would think that a normal MTB shoe will heat up the snow on the pedals due to low insulation between the foot/sole and the shoe cleat. If winter boots like Wolfhammers or Lakes are better insulated the snow will not heat up and melt, and hence not as much snow build up will take place.

And putting a woolen sole in the shoe, given enough space, would increase insulation and decrease heat loss, wouldnt it?

My Shimano MW's fits only with a thin woolen sock, and yes, theyre cold... Since I got my fatbike a few weeks ago I've been riding more winter conditions than ever before. So a pair of Wolfhammers or Lakes is on the wish list for sure!

Bj.

mtbr member
    Wolvhammers are 10 times warmer than my old Shimano mw80s. I've ridden in 9 degree temps. Feet toasty!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast