mtbr member
    May 2005

Wolvhammer warmer than Lake MXZ 303?

Just bought a set of Lake MXZ 303 and after two rides in 10 degree temps I'm not overly impressed with the warmth. I'm good for about an hour before the cold really gets to me. I will experiment with various sock layers, etc before I give up on them, but at this point would be willing to shell out the extra $ if the Wolhammer is substantially warmer. I realize this is somewhat subjective but I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has worn both? Thanks.

mtbr member
    They look marginally better than the Lakes. I think you’ll be warmer adding an over boot to the Lakes.
    A few friends of mine using 45 Nrths report that they are a little warmer, but you will still want to go up a few extra sizes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well, I'm rocking a size 50 in the lake so not sure I can find an overbook that would fit. My shoe size is a 13 wide so I'm stuck wearing monster truck size winter riding shoes.

Smash Mode: ON
    You could buy a LOT of these for the price of those wolvawhathavu's. Just saying...

Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Lakes

I agree with the last post. The toe Warmers go a long way!!! I also use Pearl Izumi neoprene MTB bootie covers(oversized) and aerogel insoles. I'm good to at least single digits so far with this setup and I don't have particularly warm feet. Good luck.

Human Test Subject
    I've heard that they're pretty equal if you add an aerogel insole. Haven't tried either myself though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I prefer the Lake MXZ303 over the Wolhammer. I found them to be more comfortable and just as warm if not warmer. Plus the price is more reasonable

mtbr member
    Wolvhammers have kept my feet warm for several hours in single digit temps. They are my first winter boot and so far I don't have anything but good things to say about them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not trying to thread hijack but how to the Lake 302's compare to the 303's in the warmth dept or in general for that matter? I currently have had the 302's for 4 seasons and will be looking to upgrade soon. Thanks

-Mark

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have Lake 302’s they are a couple of sizes big for me I wear a pair of heavy Filson wool socks. Also I make sure I do not crank my boots to tight and if it get below about -10F REI sells a cover for downhill ski boots that fit good over my boots. The covers have a hole in the bottom that allows you to clip in with no modifications. I have not found any other covers that will work over larger boots. I have friends that have Wolvhammers and they don’t seem to be any better than the Lakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a pr of Lake 303s and with a Swiftwick wool sock I am good for 4 hrs at 10 degrees or less. Havent done a ride over 2.5 hrs with temps below zero. I have had NO issues. I went up a size.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    REI sells a cover for downhill ski boots that fit good over my boots. The covers have a hole in the bottom that allows you to clip in with no modifications.
    Are you referring to these?
    BootGlove at REI.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes throughs our the ones I use

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the Lakes, and although we have not had much of a winter, we did have a week of 0-15 degree temps. I rode every day for 2-3 hours with just the Lakes and one heavy sock. They were great. Now if I can just keep my hands warm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igere View Post
    Just bought a set of Lake MXZ 303 and after two rides in 10 degree temps I'm not overly impressed with the warmth. I'm good for about an hour before the cold really gets to me. I will experiment with various sock layers, etc before I give up on them, but at this point would be willing to shell out the extra $ if the Wolhammer is substantially warmer. I realize this is somewhat subjective but I would be interested in feedback from anyone who has worn both? Thanks.
    I used the wülvhammers up to -15C and never had cold feet.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Just order some Lake 303s from nashbar through amazon for 237.99$ Amazon.com: Lake MXZ 303 Winter Cycling Shoe: Sports & Outdoors
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Riding in -20c conditions for 3 hours today in hammers with no cold feet at all, medium weight smartwool sock. I find them snug at the cuff but roomier in the bottom, so good toe wiggle room

mtbr member
    ...totally won't work for me then...we only get temps in F here...

If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Do the spd cleats still pack snow to ice on these? That's my biggest issue with mtb shoes in the snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChad View Post
    Do the spd cleats still pack snow to ice on these? That's my biggest issue with mtb shoes in the snow.
    Have you tried spraying them with WD-40 or similar prior to riding? I think they make a small bottle size that you could carry for reapplication if necessary. I find that it helps, though I'm on Eggbeaters these days.

Has anyone tried the Scott Heater MTB shoes? On the surface, they look a lot like their normal MTB shoes, but built with an enclosed upper. Maybe a different insole as well? I know Scott shoes aren't that common, but the prices are well under the Lakes. Wondering if they work half as well...

turtles make me hot
    I don't have any experience with the Wolvhammers but I went for a 2 1/2 hour ride tonight in my Lake 303's. I was only wearing a single pair of Under Armour socks and my feet were toasty warm.
    19 degrees.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another 2hr ride at 15F in the 303's yesterday. Toes still a little cold by the end but better. I've got plenty of wiggle room as I went up two sizes to accommodate my wide foot. Going to try a thin sock liner under my mid weight smartwools and also toe warmers.

I paid $175 from Nashbar a few weeks ago with one of their coupons. At that price I'm keeping them regardless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post

lol...well at least we're on the same page at -40

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChad View Post
    I would think that a normal MTB shoe will heat up the snow on the pedals due to low insulation between the foot/sole and the shoe cleat. If winter boots like Wolfhammers or Lakes are better insulated the snow will not heat up and melt, and hence not as much snow build up will take place.

And putting a woolen sole in the shoe, given enough space, would increase insulation and decrease heat loss, wouldnt it?

My Shimano MW's fits only with a thin woolen sock, and yes, theyre cold... Since I got my fatbike a few weeks ago I've been riding more winter conditions than ever before. So a pair of Wolfhammers or Lakes is on the wish list for sure!

Bj.

mtbr member
    Wolvhammers are 10 times warmer than my old Shimano mw80s. I've ridden in 9 degree temps. Feet toasty!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was out in the negatives yesterday in a 30+ min TT. 303's worked fine. 2.5 sizes larger (EU size) than I usually wear. Liner and medium weight smartwool sock. I think a boot cover would be needed for extreme cold, long distance rides/races.

I can't speak to the Wolvhammers. Too much money for my taste.

trail projectile
    I have the Wolvhammers. Went riding last night in 9 degrees with a three other guys. Relatively deep snow around, though we spent a lot of time on snowmobile tracks.. One in shoes with booties. One in "winter shoes" (garneaus I think) and one in Lake Boots with booties over the top. As you might expect, complaints about cold feet decreased (respectively) across the group, but they all seemed shocked when I reported that my feet were perfectly comfortable and I hadn't really thought about them all night.

My sense is that there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference in warmth between the Wolvs and the Lakes, and my guess is that that difference gets even more pronounced if you spend any time with your feet in the snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post

Let's see there are about 7 billion people in the world and 300 million are stuck in the imperial system. It's time for the 300 mil to join the rest.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Don't know why the Northwave Arctic Celsius don't get more love. Much cheaper (about 180 at CRC), and I've been impressed so far. Rides of about 2 hours in minus 30ish Celsius and no problems (wearing thick wool sock). The wolvhammers look nice, but that's a lot of dough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegulch View Post
    I have the Lakes, and although we have not had much of a winter, we did have a week of 0-15 degree temps. I rode every day for 2-3 hours with just the Lakes and one heavy sock. They were great. Now if I can just keep my hands warm...
    Two words my friend, Bar Mitts. They are like Lakes or Wolvhammers for your hands!!

Mikey

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Don't know why the Northwave Arctic Celsius don't get more love. Much cheaper (about 180 at CRC), and I've been impressed so far. Rides of about 2 hours in minus 30ish Celsius and no problems (wearing thick wool sock). The wolvhammers look nice, but that's a lot of dough.
    I gave the Northwaves serious consideration. No one carries them around me and I wasn't sure about fit. I wear anything from a 48 to a 50 depending on how the shoe is made, so I had to buy what I was able to try on.
    Just so happens the shop near me had Lakes and Sidi Diablos. I was sure I was going to get the Diablos...
    After trying both on, I got the Lakes and saved 40 bucks.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Last season I had a brand new set of the Lake MXZ 302 boots and they didn't last long before I dumped them for the W'hammers. No comparison...the W'hammers were way more comfy and warm. I ride a fat bike in Minnesota in the winter too.

mtbr member

Re: Wolvhammer warmer than Lake MXZ 303?

Anyone using the Gaerne G Atrix? I'd be curious how they compare to Lakes/Wolv's, but I've not used them.

I've only been able to ride the Gaerne's in upper thirties F so far. Toes ended the ride warmer than they started, which never happened with covers over summer shoes over insulated socks over wool socks.

Amazing how much better they are. Gonna be a good year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Anyone using the Gaerne G Atrix? I'd be curious how they compare to Lakes/Wolv's, but I've not used them.

I've only been able to ride the Gaerne's in upper thirties F so far. Toes ended the ride warmer than they started, which never happened with covers over summer shoes over insulated socks over wool socks.

Amazing how much better they are. Gonna be a good year.
    I like the Wylam ers a lot. Very comfortable, almost too comfy as my summer shoes are not as comfy. Used them several times on -15C rides and never had cold feet.

H. D.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk 4

turtles make me hot
    I finally got to see the Wolvhammers up close yesterday. What a nice looking shoe.
    I'll get them next time.
    I like turtles

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    I'm running a pair of Exustar winter boots with thick neoprene booties on top of that.
    Last winter I got a pair of Sidas heated insoles. What a revelation.
    Could go for 5-7 hours in close to -20C temps at the lowest setting and the feet were toasty. Highly recommended.
    Now I just need something similar for the hands. Have pogies, but I dont like the bulkiness.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    (Kindernay XIV 14 speed internal gear hub with hydraulic sequential shifters)

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    I'm running a pair of Exustar winter boots with thick neoprene booties on top of that.
    Last winter I got a pair of Sidas heated insoles. What a revelation.
    Could go for 5-7 hours in close to -20C temps at the lowest setting and the feet were toasty. Highly recommended.
    Now I just need something similar for the hands. Have pogies, but I dont like the bulkiness.
    I've used similar heated insoles in ski boots for years. As someone terribly prone to icy toes, I've long thought of using heaters in bike boots but couldn't figure out an elegant place for the batteries. What's your solution?
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I've used similar heated insoles in ski boots for years. As someone terribly prone to icy toes, I've long thought of using heaters in bike boots but couldn't figure out an elegant place for the batteries. What's your solution?
    The batteries have clips that clip to the upper part of the booties.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Bodhisattva
    The batteries have clips that clip to the upper part of the booties.
    Yes, but I was fearful that they would get knocked off and lost in the snow. You have any issues?

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Some great info here, thanks. Does anyone have experience of much hike-a-bike in either of these shoes? We'd heard that the Wolvs were prone to carving up feet when walking, although I appreciate that's going to vary from one rider, or hiker!, to the next.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Yes, but I was fearful that they would get knocked off and lost in the snow. You have any issues?
    Not even remotely. The clips on the batteres are like 2'' long, so they grip very well.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Bodhisattva
    Not even remotely. The clips on the batteres are like 2'' long, so they grip very well.
    Thanks for the info. Cold feet is a major issue for me ever since a bad episode of frostbite years ago.
    I have Lake 303s. They are marginally good enough and I'll often stick air activated boat heaters in them.
    My Wolvhammers just arrived. They certainly look to be a lot more substantial than the Lakes, but I haven't had a chance yet to use them. I used my old Lakes in 31deg F temps last night and my toes were frigid.

For those interested, the Wolvs run narrow and on the small side. I'm usually size 11/45. I found the 46 to be snug and settled on 47.

― Albert Einstein

Thumper
    I have 303's and they are great in comfort and warmth with thin wool wicking socks. -30c on about 2 hr rides and I am still good. Wide toe box is nice too. Boa, nice and easy.

My wife just picked me up a set of these heated soles with a remote control for colder longer rides: Heated Insoles by Thermacell | Heated Insoles - Sizse XL | Home Depot Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Compared wolvhammer to lake 303 at my LBS. interestingly, They have the exact same sole. I have used lake302sfor a few years. Use hand warmers in the toe box for single digit temperature rides over an hour. What ever you get buy big for extra room to layer socks. I use a thin wicking liner under a thick wool mix sock. I like the metal tipped toe spikes for hiking/walking icey sections.
    Urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the info on the insoles I may have to get a pair. These plus my planet bike winter shoe covers and I maybe all set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have the lake, and just got the Wölvehammer, and after one ride I am hooked, my feet were super toasty and I loved the fit. I think the lakes are more like the Fasterkatts, as far as using them in a transitional season.

I would reccomend getting one size larger on the Wolvs, I wish I had gotten a 49/50 instead of the 48 just for layering purposes. I guess I could always tuck a toe warmer in them if it gets really cold.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, i will be commuting in 20-40 deg f weather a lot and was wondering which would be better the lake mx145 or should i just get the mxz303? I can get a good deal on either so which would you guys recommend? I probably wont be commuting in colder weather than what i listed if that makes a difference.

Thumper
    303 wide is amazingly warm and comfy. Lookin at the mx145 with boa top and bottom, it might be harder to get your foot in if the top doesn't open enough. But I love boa.

20ºF to 40ºF is -7ºC to 4.4°C, which ain't considered cold weather up here. -31ºF now that's cold riding.

mtbr member
    Yeah the Colorado front range rarely gets below 20 deg and if it does i probably wont ride, i definitely would not ride in the negative temperature ranges sorry guys just not for me lol. I have tried on both boots and both function and fit well in a eur 45 i just don't want to make a mistake, i don't want to buy the 303 if its not need for 20-40 deg, because the 145 is a lot lighter and fits like a normal cycling shoe as opposed to a boot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndYUK View Post
    Some great info here, thanks. Does anyone have experience of much hike-a-bike in either of these shoes? We'd heard that the Wolvs were prone to carving up feet when walking, although I appreciate that's going to vary from one rider, or hiker!, to the next.
    I went for a 2hr ride with my Wolvhammer's and right after that I went for a 3hr hike in over 6" of fresh snow and they kept my feet warm and dry.
    Great shoes!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GMONEY80 View Post
    Hey guys, i will be commuting in 20-40 deg f weather a lot and was wondering which would be better the lake mx145 or should i just get the mxz303? I can get a good deal on either so which would you guys recommend? I probably wont be commuting in colder weather than what i listed if that makes a difference.
    Don't screw around, get the 303s at least. Cleats and metal pedals suck heat right out of you, you need as much insulation as possible and the heat-sink of pedals and cleats will keep your feet from getting too warm for sure. I'm commuting in alaska and the temps are anywhere between about 35F to -5F. The 303s are fine for this, but the longer I spend on the trail the colder my feet get. I have heated insoles on the way for that and a few other ideas to try out (even with flat pedals and boots my feet are getting cold if I spend too much time out).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot guys, im going with the 303's just to be safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Everyone around here in Wisconsin is riding the 45norths....maybe because the company is semi local? Maybe because they rock?

O-h
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No experience of 303's but Wölvhammer kept my feet warm for 3 hours with wool hiking socks in -20 celcius temp

turtles make me hot
    Not knockin' the Wolvhammers at all because I've never ridden in them.
    Today, I went for a 2 1/2 hour ride in 22 degrees F and the one thing that was warm was my feet in my Lake 303's.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have the Wolfhammers. I got them pretty close to my regular bike shoe size. I don't like wearing multiple pairs of socks and prefer to just stick some toe warmers in there if its really cold. The Wolf's do a pretty good job of keeping the cleat from sucking all of the heat out of your feet. Still, I'm not going out to much below 0 F although I will be out for 3-4+ hours. Worked well so far. FWIW the guys at my LBS pretty much said choose the ones you feel more comfortable in. 45Nrth is a local company and the 46 fit perfectly so I chose them.
    "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." - Surly Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Finally time to replace my MXZ301's. Maybe six years and 20,000 miles. They've been a great shoe and I'm not sure I'd want them to be much warmer. I ride at dawn everyday and use them 6-7 months/year.
    I hate getting wet feet and since I ride early, there's often a lot of dew.
    I can always add thicker socks if it's really cold,-0f.

Loser
    I rode for 2.5 hours in 18F temps with 25mph winds - it was miserable, except for my feet inside my Lake 303's, never rode Wolvehammers, so I can't compare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just bought a pair of wolvehammers and they are awesome! I wear 10's and purchased 12's, so happy I went up 2 sizes. Also, first time owning barmitts and they are excellent.

get down!
    I got some Wolvhammers and am thinking about returning them for 303s. My buddy came over with his 303s as a fit comparison and to confirm that a 50 is what I needed(his were 48s). I really like the boa system and he said that the iner tightening system of the Wolvhammer looks cheap (I sort of agree) and that it will likely stretch out and not work as well as the boa system.

Thoughts? Keep the Wolvhammer or return them for the Lakes and save roughly $100?

Also, does the Wolvhamer have that insole that 45 north sells separately already installed (as stock) or is that an aftermarket thing only. You know, the "NASA" insoles.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    I got some Wolvhammers and am thinking about returning them for 303s. My buddy came over with his 303s as a fit comparison and to confirm that a 50 is what I needed(his were 48s). I really like the boa system and he said that the iner tightening system of the Wolvhammer looks cheap (I sort of agree) and that it will likely stretch out and not work as well as the boa system.

Thoughts? Keep the Wolvhammer or return them for the Lakes and save roughly $100?

Also, does the Wolvhamer have that insole that 45 north sells separately already installed (as stock) or is that an aftermarket thing only. You know, the "NASA" insoles.
    here is a link to the insoles

Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

I have the Lake 303 they seem to be a good shoe. i have worn them down to 5 degrees and my feet stayed warm for over an hour ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have both the 45nrth insole and the Toasty Feet brand. I wish I found the Toasty feet first....
    MCR Safety CTFM Toasty Feet Mens Shoe insoles Infused with Aerogel for Sizes 8-13 - Amazon.com

TuTh rider
    Dec 2005
    I had an older pair of the Lake winter boots and just picked up a pair of the 303s and they are a significant improvement in fit and warmth. I wear a 44 and went to the 46 wide version and rode last week here in Wisconsin. Did 1.5 hours on Sat. in 20 degree and 2 hours in the teens on Sunday with a wool Swiftwick sock and my feet we warm. No experice with the 45NRTH stuff, but the Lakes were cheaper and I could get my hands on them. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Lots of good info in this thread. Anyone have any comparison of the Lakes to the new Fasterkatt? The Wolvhammer seem overkill for me, so I'm looking at the Lakes. But the Fasterkatt is a little cheaper. I'm running regular shoes with smartwool socks and neoprene covers right now. Usually works pretty well. But I can't go much more than an hour under 20 degrees in snow. Without snow I'm usually pretty good.

mtbr member

The Wolvhammer pricing in Canada is just ridiculous $390 CAN. I attended a once a year customer appreciation LBS sale where they stated min 20% off everything - then after I tried them Wolvhammer's on they told me oh but they are not included in the sale. Wtf..They are nice boots but in my opinion not $390 nice. Even at 20% off still pricey.

I went appliance shopping after with wife and picked up a much needed nice ss gas range stove and thought to myself, those Wolvhammer's would have cost like a quarter of the stove. Crazy ridiculous. Don't get me wrong I like nice things but sometimes just rather unrealistic how much a pair of mtb boots cost in relation to other essentials in life.

O-h
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    45Nrth is distributed by Norco...so they slap their margin on them for no added value. I paid quite a bit less than that for mine and $390 is bit ridiculous. I went with 45nrth as I don't really want to drop that kind of money without trying the shoes on.

get down!
    Well, I've decided to I with the Lake MX303. I ordered them from Nashbar today with their 20% off coupon. $215 shipped.

That's going to save me close to $150. I plan on ordering the toasty foot insoles from Amazon as well. Looks like the boa design is better and will last longer. Time will tell, but my wallet is happy for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have heard that the Lakes tend to run narrow. My foot works well with a Sidi fit. Would you suggest getting the wide model? They also look a little longer than a Sidi. One size larger or stick with true size?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Has anyone tried the Mavic Drift winter shoe? I just purchased the ' Zero Degree" Louis Garneau shoe, but that will be going back and I'm looking for somethng to replace them with.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Keep on Rockin...
    Much of what it comes down to is how much volume and trapped air does each shoe create around your toes and bottom of the forefoot. Looking at both the Lake and the WH pics, both seem to lack a design that provides for that space where needed. I've worn pack-boots outside for many years as I do a lot of non-biking outdoor winter activity. Pack boots are extremely simple animals that work very well - it is because they trap a lot of space around the foot where needed.

Do either the Lakes or the WHs offer that? Again, by pics only, they look pretty skimpy around the toes. Compare that that to the clown-shoe-like appearance of a pack boot and I cant see how they'd be very warm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm in the "Great White North" (thx Mackenzie bros.) and I often suffered from cold feet. I bought a pair of Irish Setter (by Red Wing Shoe Company) and my feet are toasty now. I went with the 2000 gram Thinsulate Ultra version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    I have heard that the Lakes tend to run narrow. My foot works well with a Sidi fit. Would you suggest getting the wide model? They also look a little longer than a Sidi. One size larger or stick with true size?
    All of my shoes are wide width. I bought the sidi carbon shoe this year in wide and it was perfect. I tried going with Northwaves but they were narrow also. I bought the 303s in wide and they were a great fit. Usually in 41, Lake's are 42.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't know if the lakes are "wide", but I bought the "wide" version and there's plenty of space all around. Buy them at least a size bigger go give enough space. Riding yesterday in -4 or so and my feet stated nice and toasty with the new heated insoles. Seems like they work so far.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    My Northwaves are wider than my coworker's Lakes, specifically in the toe box.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have the Wolvhammers aka Walletthinners and am very happy with them despite their admittedly ridiculous price. I live in Montana and have put about 400 miles / 40,000 feet of climbing on them in temps ranging from 10-45 F in everything from snow to rain and ice to straight up mud. Despite the fact that they are new and haven't been ridden much yet, I recommend them. My feet have stayed warm and dry every ride and the much maligned zipper seems to have been completely fixed. As winter continues I will update if they fail me but I expect nothing but good things from these.

get down!
    Happy with my decision to keep the Lakes and return the 45 Norths. The boa is awesome, 2 hour + ride today in 20 degree and under weather and they were perfect. Toasty as hell. Comfy. Made me smile and giggle like a little school girl.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got my Wolvs a back in November and finally have a temp that would call for such a product. I did a 2-hour ride here in MN where it was around 0 degrees F and the wind chill was around -20 F. My feet were warm with a thickest wool sock I own. I would say they are slightly narrow for my feet, thats why I upped my boot 1 full size. They are expensive, but I really wanted to be clipped in.

mtbr member
    Been out 4 times -5c or colder and feet were toasty warm with the Lake 303's.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any place in New Jersey that has some stock on either the Lakes or Wolvhammers? I would like to buy soon<g> Bike will be here this week.

Bob

mtbr member
    About 5 or 6 years ago, I bought a pair of Shimano Gore-Tex mountain bike shoes from Chainlove, they were something like $60 at the time. Ordered them one size up from what I normally wear. I still use them, with ThermaCell insoles. Heated insoles is the only way I can ride in -15C to -20C here in Quebec. Also use the same insoles in my X-country ski boots. Not much else works when you have Raynaud's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reig3 View Post
    Any place in New Jersey that has some stock on either the Lakes or Wolvhammers? I would like to buy soon<g> Bike will be here this week.

Bob
    Check Cycle Haven in NY.....great fattie shop

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, I have been debating over the wolvhammers for a while now. I get cold feet when I don't remember to pull up on the pedal (SPD). Flat pedals are OK, but climbing and taking pressure off the bottom of my feet is a bit more difficult than SPD.

Thought about the lakes, but not many people have them and from what I have heard they were recently bought by another company who is trying to get them back up and running?

I was able to try the spesh defrosters out today, and they fit REALLY weird. My foot spilled over the outside of the boot and over the sole, and dug into the bottom of my foot. It seems as if the boot is constructed to allow this to happen? Also I noticed something I have never seen in a shoe/boot before. I took the insole out and ran my finger along the bottom of the boot, I noticed that the sole (on the inside of the boot) was flat at the heel, then moving towards the front of the boot arched up (where the arch of the foot would be), but the arch wasn't just towards the inside of the foot, the entire sole arched up, which would make the entire middle of your foot arch up ( from the front of your heel to the ball of your foot). I just didn't think they would fit me well, although I really wanted them to.

The wolvhammer seemed to be the best bet (although I am not happy about the price). They were not difficult to get into once I loosened the laces towards the bottom. They weren't difficult to zip up either. I am hoping they will keep my feet warm and last for a LONG time.

Keep on Rockin...
    Would buy a pair of the Wolvs if I could find a pair in 45.

Anyone know who might have a pair in stock?

Thinking about the Lakes for this year until next year though as I can find them. Seems like the Wolvs are warmer.

Aside from the price and availability, any reason to not pick the Wolvs over the Lakes?

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by playinVT View Post
    I agree with the last post. The toe Warmers go a long way!!! I also use Pearl Izumi neoprene MTB bootie covers(oversized) and aerogel insoles. I'm good to at least single digits so far with this setup and I don't have particularly warm feet. Good luck.
    I have a few rides with new lake mxz303. I got them in 48 wide for my 13 wide feet. They are big enough on my feet to wear thick wool socks with liners. They're awesome.

Warmth wise, my impression is that they are slightly warmer than my previous setup, Specialized Defroster boots with aerogel insoles with Pearl Izumi Booties in top and Gaiters on top of that. Now if only Pearl Izumi would make a bootie to go on top of it.

If would be nice if the Lakes had gater hooks.

Keep on Rockin...
    Getting a great deal on the Lakes and the Wolvs are out of stock, so pulled the trigger on the Lakes.

Was -26F this am plus windchill. Will be waiting till it gets above 10 and will report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Would you size length up 1 or two eu sizes? I wear a 42 road shoe.

How about the Wide vs regular?

Will just a longer shoe allow for one thick sock but yet maintain ability for snug fit for power?

Dave
    spez roubaix
    fantom cross - stolen -
    crux
    moonlander

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by dtaylor View Post
    Would you size length up 1 or two eu sizes? I wear a 42 road shoe.

How about the Wide vs regular?

Will just a longer shoe allow for one thick sock but yet maintain ability for snug fit for power?

Dave

I usually wear a regular mtb shoe in a 44.5-45. Went with a 45 on the Lake. Ordered regular width as I have a lower volume foot. However, a 45 wide shoed up. Turned out to fit perfect with the very thick wool sock I intended to wear. Also enough room to stick on a Toe Warmer.

Very comfortable fit. Walks and pedals very well. Pretty easy to get on and off.

Warmth... I'm happy. I've got a big problem with cold feet. Even in the warm hospital I work in I wear wool socks. With the Lakes at about 15 degrees I'm comfortable for about 1 1/2 hours - with thick wool socks and Toe Warmers. 2 hours and my feet are cold. Closer to 30 degrees and I'm good probably for as long as I'm outside. For my pitiful feet that is pretty good.

The shoes have allowed me to get in way more winter riding hours. I hear the WHs are a bit warmer, but not by much. For the price, fit, availability - all things considered - I'm really glad I bought them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The length is important but so is the width. If your extra socks are crammed into too little width they just pinch off circulation in your feet and that means cold feet. If you are riding in the cold it will probably be a trade off between warm feet and the snug fit power you are used to in the summer.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I recently bought a pair of the regular Wolvhammer's (no cleat). Can I recommend them at this point? Not quite. They are pricey. For the money spent I was expecting a more more pronounced difference. That hasn't happened, at least not yet. Although my feet don't get cold as fast as they previously did (an improvement), I'm not sure I needed to spend quite this much to achive it.

What I have noticed is that if I put my Zippos heaters in the toes of them 20+ minutes beforehand, it is a much more pleasant experience.

I was fortunate enough to intentionally buy one size larger and the extra layerr of socks help.
    Last edited by gdb2b; 03-06-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks
    i rarely bike over 2 hours in the cold season , seems the wolvhammers with cleats are a bit much.
    my plan is to size up to 43 wide.
    my current setup is platforms with hiking boots. works great until there's steep or deep stuff where gotta spin under power then not being clipped in is a handicap.

i've seen lakes for $219 all over the place.

done deal

dave
    spez roubaix
    fantom cross - stolen -
    crux
    moonlander

mtbr member

Where are lakes for 219??

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjr View Post
    Where are lakes for 219??
    brands cycle equipment
    found on google.
    i can safely tell you now that i've ordered mine hehe

dave
    spez roubaix
    fantom cross - stolen -
    crux
    moonlander

is buachail foighneach me
    Withe 40Below overboots glued to my 6 year old Lakes, with a flattened out stock insole, my feet were warm at -20 without having to walk. I had been out for 7 hours when I hit those temps, then hit them again in the morning on the next day's ride. Makes me think the cleat isn't the real culprit, and enough insulation will overcome any cold sink properties the cleat and cleat plate have. One person got black toes in Wolvhammers on during the same time period on the same stretch of trail, and a couple of others got minor frost bit/nip on their toes in a variety of non-clipless boots. The overboots are expensive, but if you already own an old pair of Lakes, they're much cheaper than a set of Wolvhammers and will make your Lakes warmer than a new set of Wolvhammers.

https://www.40below.com/products_det...p?ProductID=69

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtaylor View Post
    brands cycle equipment
    found on google.
    i can safely tell you now that i've ordered mine hehe

dave
    Good people to work with. I got my 303's last year at this time for 199$. Check out amazon.com, keep in mind the narrow are narrow you have to have a skinny foot to fit in.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Makes me think the cleat isn't the real culprit
    That's quite a claim. I WANT to believe this would work for me.
    On a level playing field, do you generally run warmer than others, or do your feet tend to tolerate cold better than others?
    Do you know others who use this product with similar results?
    -Chris

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    That's quite a claim. I WANT to believe this would work for me.
    On a level playing field, do you generally run warmer than others, or do your feet tend to tolerate cold better than others?
    Do you know others who use this product with similar results?
    I'm pretty average on foot warmth. The Lakes, on their own, were good for me for a couple of hours at single digits with toe warmers. After a couple of hours, I would need to run the occasional hill to warm my feet up. When I swapped the insole out for one cut from a ccf sleeping pad, I was warm to negative single digits. So, for me, they add at least 20 degrees of warmth to the Lakes, probably more. They're not extremely durable on their own if you walk a lot. They definitely require a bunch of extra plasti-dip on the toe. But warmth is unmatched as far as available products designed for us.
    Wolvhammer warmer than Lake MXZ 303?-1656309_10202467100816108_934401977_n.jpg
    Wolvhammer warmer than Lake MXZ 303?-1001514_10202467101936136_589807933_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Although this won't help for this winter, just wanted to let you know that Northwave will have an Artic shoe next season that will be rated to temps of -13. Yes, you are reading this correctly, should be interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Although this won't help for this winter, just wanted to let you know that Northwave will have an Artic shoe next season that will be rated to temps of -13. Yes, you are reading this correctly, should be interesting.
    Is that -13 F or C?
    Do you know what the rating is on the present Northwave Artic?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For next years line, the temperature rating is -13F.Unfortunately, I have no idea what the rating for this seasons line is. My shop I determining right now whether to stock them next year or not.

Have a great rest od the season!

Members who have read this thread: 6