mtbr member
    Dec 2013

wolvhammer and clipless rubbing problem.

I am try to use a new pair of wolvhammer boots with Look mtb pedals, and could not find any cleat placement where the inside of the boot(with gators) doesn't rub the crank arms with every revolution. I also tried an old pair of Shimano SPD's with no difference.I know they are a popular boot to use clipless, so what do others do.Thanks. David

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Polished crank arms are part of the deal with that setup ( I use it ) and any thing else that will actually keep your feet warm. My next (Next) crank arms will need to be coated. Don't sweat it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't use gators, but my boots rUB just a little on the ca. Maybe pedal spacers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What size boots do you have? I'm in a 48, i have about 5 mm clearance between the boot and the crank. (no gators)

I had to move the cleat all the way inboard but I'm having issues engaging the cleat on my SPDs. I picked up some pedal extenders from fleabay for $25, they should allow me to center the cleat on the boot.

I'll be installing them tomorrow. I'll try to take some before and after pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I wear size 44. I don't care about wearing the black off the crank arms , but feeling a bump with every pedal stroke is not something I can put up with. I will see if I can get some pedal spacers that will work or else I will have to go back to flats. I'm pretty sure I can return the boots as I only went 100 feet with them. I don't think the pedal designers had winter boots and gaters in mind when they designed them. Maybe 45NRTH will come up with a clip less pedal for such a task. David

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Crank Bros Candy clipless pedals work quite well w/ the wolvhammers. I have the cleat inboard all the way and there is no problem. Crank arms are shiny but I don't notice anything while riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I use Crank Bros. My boots rub, I tried all kinds of different stuff. I think my next step is going to just put another spacer on the Pedals, that should solve it.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am also using look pedals/cleats/Wolvenhammer---and yes, have a nice rub mark on crank arm--size 47 boot--just how it is.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you use those pedal spindle extenders, be careful. Sometimes the tolerances in the threads are not the greatest. This can lead to failure of the threads in your crankarm. I speak from personal experience. I need to helicoil my Fatback crankarm due to damaged threads. If it's really cold outside, I'd go platforms. That being said, I've been using Wolvhammers with Time pedals this year, and everything works fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I bought a pair of Shimano SPD's that Tall Tree cycles said had a slightly wider q factor, and coupled with the cleats having some sideways movement, seemed to fix my problem. Thanks for the responces. David

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I fixed the rubbing by loosening the cleats and moving the cleat inboard. Shimano cleats have this ability but I believe some brands do not

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've got a 47 size W÷lvhammer's and XTRs. Roughly centered cleat does not give any rub, so that combo seems to work fine (cranks are Fatback's, but shouldn't matter), even on shoes as large as mine.

oh crap...
    I've got size 45 with the large size gators running SPD's more inboard on XT trail pedals and no rubbing.
    Grow some food for yourself.