mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.

For those of you that ride in the winter, especially in temperatures below 20 degrees, would you be willing to share what gloves you use?

I'm not having much luck fiding gloves that keep my fingers warm at temps below 20. I just tried a pair of UnderArmor Etreme ColdGear tonight. Was running my fingers under warm water 80 minutes later. Not Fun.

Heretofore I've been using some really lightweight Pearl Izumi full finger gloves under some heavier North Face gloves. That will work down to about 20 degrees or so.

What do you use? Poogies? Lobster mitts?

mtbr member
    May 2011

I have wear my full finger summer riding gloves, and use the handlebar grip covers. It gives me the best of both worlds. I can feel the controls, and stay very comfortable. If I wear my warm gloves (black stallion fuzzy fingers) my hands sweet and then get cold.

http://fat-bike.com/2012/01/pogies-k...e-digits-warm/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ski gloves! I also use an old pair of P-I lobsters. Hand warmer packs help too. The other day we rode at 12 deg and I put a hand warmer in each lobster finger (4 total). Worked well. I'm tempted by bar-mitts and others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    These are awesome. Rode last week in -50.

Mercury Mitt - Black Diamond Gear

IH, HYHT.
    Lobster's from Pearl for the cold stuff, medium weight PIs for everything from 38 to 20 F.

is buachail foighneach me
    Pogies with light fleece gloves down to -20ish, multilayer rag wool gloves if it's colder. If the temps are in the twenties or above, most loose fitting, windproof fleece gloves will work well on their own.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pogies are the single best winter/cold riding gear I have, no kidding. The last few weeks it's been pretty warm here in Anchorage, 20 to 30 degrees on my commutes (now it's 40 degrees and raining). On those 20-30 commutes I've been going with NO gloves and just the pogies, they are amazing, and my circulation is crappy due to reynaulds. On colder days with simple thin "liner" style gloves they keep my hands nice and toasty. I even used them a little on my non-fat bike when winter was setting in before the snow. It's one piece of gear I wish I had years ago for sure.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the Dogwood Designs pogies and really don't need to wear anything other than summer full finger gloves to stay warm. But depending on how far away from home you are and the temperature, it might be wise to bring some warmer gloves incase you need to work with your hands outside the pogies.

I do have ANSWER brand gloves and they are awesome. Warm for temps down to the low teens, and have soft cloth on the thumbs for wiping goggles.

Anchorage, AK
    Gloves are for suckers they don't work in the cold. Pogies are okay, but I prefer these:

Name:  mittens.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  11.0 KB
    --Peace

mtbr member
    ^I guess if you don't mind letting go of the bars for braking, those will do the trick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 on the pogies! I'm using the 45 North Cobrafists and used Bar Mitts previously. I'll never go back to gloves alone I think. PI Lobster a Claws can get the job done in pretty cold conditions but the touch you have using lighter gloves under pogies rocks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anybody using Pogies with Ergon grips (or other non-round grips)?

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb2b View Post
    Anybody using Pogies with Ergon grips (or other non-round grips)?
    Yes. This is the exact combination I use. Ergon GP1 with Moose-Mitts. I wear a thin glove underneath and all is wonderful.

Still working on perfecting foot comfort in the low temps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wear a pair of Gore Radiator gloves (semi-lobster)... BUT I use pogies as well, which really blocks the wind well.

EDIT: I also use ergons under my pogies. I have the GC-1 (swept bar ergons) on jeff-jones loop bars. I went the 45Nrth route and cut some holes in the pogies so that I can affix them to the bars using expandable bar-ends. It's a really great connection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.-pugssnow-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have some Louis Garneau gloves that I wear down to about 15 degrees, then I wear Burton snowboard gloves.

mtbr member
    Empire Wool and Canvas Co."Ice Bike Mittens" for me, Love em!

Empire Wool and Canvas Company

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    With Bar Mitts, the glove question quickly disappears. My Pearl Izumi lobster claws are incredibly uncomfortable (too warm) if its above -5F, from there my "medium temperature" mavic gloves (not sure what they are, discontinued model) that are good for road riding at 35-45F are good, as long as it doesnt get above 20. For 20-32F I use Giordana Nordic, a fairly light glove. Above freezing, summer-time mtb gloves are good.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The problem that most of us with poor circulation experience is that our palms will often be toasty, sweating, but our fingers will be ice-cold and go crazy numb. The insulated glove-fingers basically become heat sinks in this case, as they are reduced to ambient temperature and no heat is trapped. All the while our palms are fine. There's plenty of "heat" being generated, just our fingers decide to cut off the flow. I've searched long and wide and it's always been futile, the same thing happens with any and all gloves. Once your palm starts to sweat and the glove starts carrying some moisture things get bad fast. Pogies are absolutely amazing for this, the warmth from your hands keeps the entire area (bar, etc) warm and it just works. Nothing like gloves.

Everyone always claims there's some magic glove out there. I've never found it. I do have expedition mittens I use for going out to Alaskan villages here in the winter, but those would be a terrible choice on a bike, as my hands would sweat and the same thing would happen again with my fingers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Anything by Black Diamond:

Ski Gloves, Waterproof Gloves, Glove Liners // Black Diamond

All their gear rocks. No magic, just better than the other non-magical glove options, YMMV.
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I can get away with my summer full fingers down to around freezing. My hands stay strangely warm. It's rarely above freezing during a MN winter though.

I use a thin pair of wool liners under a thick pair of lobster gloves that are made for CX skiing. I picked up the whole setup upstairs at Midwest Mountaineering really cheap. Works for in during the closest rides I've been on -10 F.

Everyone is different tho and if my fingers got cold (My feet turn to ice blocks at 40 F) I'd buy pogies in a second. I still might.

The problem with my setup is it's a PITA if you need your fingers for stuff. With pogies you just pull your hand out and your ready.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pogies are probably the best investment I've made. Before, my hands and feet would get cold, no matter what I did. Now just my feet get cold, and I can't find a magic boot/sock/liner/whatever that'll keep my toes from freezing. On those really really cold days, toss a chemical heat pack into the pogies and it'll provide a bit of extra help.

mtbr member
    This Canadian company called Choko Designs makes a real warm snowmobile mitt called the Claw Mitts. When it get's real cold, those are my go to mitts. They are extremely warm and with the Claw design, you can still do 2 finger braking while still holding on to the bars.

Cordura Claw Mitts

Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.-hjc-838100-004.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have a question regarding pogies. I just got the dogwood designs pogies and one thing I find is that if they are cold when I start my hands will stay cold too. Are you guys just keeping them in the house and putting them on before you go out? Still kind of a PITA since by the time I get them on my handlebars, voila, they're cold. What's the secret here? I'm also still getting a bit of a draft in them, from the inside drawstring. Just can't seem to get them tight enough! Thoughts?

Elitest thrill junkie
    If my bike is outside in -5F temps or whatever, it takes a little longer for my bike to "heat up", maybe 2-3 miles in I get to "operating temperature". In those cases I'm using thicker gloves, still "insulation" type gloves with no hard shell, but much thicker due to the cold bike and air temp. In the winter I'm leaving them on all the time, the only thing I change is my liners. If it's warmer, I'll use thin glove liners (or none at all), in those cases I'll still carry the thicker ones with me, "just in case". '

I try not to store my bike outside, but when I commute back home from work my bike has been sitting outside.

I would recommend starting with medium weight glove liners, then switch out if you get too hot. Don't immediately try to go "no gloves" or "thin summer mtb gloves" if you're storing the bike outside. The pogies will heat up just fine, but your handlebar and grips will take some time. I use a CF handlebar on this bike to help with this, as it's not going to transmit (lose) heat as easily.

Play with the drawstring, I had one side that was sealed up good, just a front brake, no shifter, and the other side with a shifter and brake wasn't really sealing up well. I didn't notice it till I started riding around with no gloves, then I could really feel the "draft". The drawstring seems to make sense when it fits on the brake levers, but I think the shifter on the other side was creating a blockage that it couldn't conform to. I moved them a little further away from each other and it was perfect, the pogie sealed up on that side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Maybe the glove I used underneath should have been thicker. I was using a wind proof glove from black diamond(yeah for most people that would do it!) but I should try with a lobster glove instead. (Bit more insulated). Sometimes I'll go through a phase where my thumbs tingle and hurt from cold and then they get really warm. Maybe that's just part of winter riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Maybe the windproof glove is preventing the pogies from working?

Maybe something like this is in order? (and you can get thick fleece gloves for much less often times at many places): Mountain Hardwear Heavyweight Wool Stretch Gloves at REI.com

I know I wasn't getting the full effect of the pogies till I got them sealed up, but there is quite a bit of insulation in there and they do block the wind, so the warmth of your hands should be going towards heating up that entire micro-climate. Blocking it with windproof gloves may not work all that well. If anything, for extreme cold, like -15 F and colder, I've thought of some thick fleece mittens, but really I don't want to be out when it's that cold

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yup, I agree with you about the wind proof gloves being a poor choice. A thick fleece glove might solve the problem. I also have some reusable heat packs that I am considering throwing in there, maybe that will help warm the interior of the pogies up. That should bring it to "operating temperature" quicker!
    Thanks for your feedback.

The more insulated it the glove is, the less your body heat(via your hand) is going to warm the insulation in the pogie up. Or at least, the longer it will take. I have finger circulation issues and I've only ever needed warmer than light fleece gloves at around -45 with the Dogwood Designs 'plus pogies'. If it's that cold out, try tossing a hand warmer into each pogie and cinching them up as tight as you can 20 minutes before the ride. It should prewarm them a little.

OK, maybe I should have read the last two posts before posting that....

Moderator Moderator
    If my hands feel cold, with or without pogies, often 30 seconds or so balling them up in a fist in the palm part of a glove will revive them for the rest of the ride. It's almost like the circulation starts working again. You can't do this in a snug glove, and one hand at a time is safer so you can still brake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I get in my car to go to all of our rides, and this has been all I've needed so far this year, down to -5f so far.

Wells Lamont Work Glove Safety Cuff Thinsulate 100gr Large | eBay

The key here is putting these gloves on my dashboard with the defroster running for 10 minutes or so. The leather heats up and starts out nice and toasty. Any ride that's 15 degrees or warmer and I'm swapping these gloves out after 15 minutes for regular full finger gloves, they get way too warm very quickly in that kind of weather.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Idea!

Kawigirl, try using a hair dryer for a quick warmup; bootwarmers will also do the trick, a short time before your venture.

Or, if you can, start out with the bike indoors overnight.

Hand warmers.

Or a hot potato, or two, from the microwave.

I use a coupla boiled eggs (from my friendly chickens) in my DD (green) pogies when I do leave the bike out overnight.

At the end of my commute, I have breakfast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have trouble keeping my hands warm in the winter. I use medium weight non cycling gloves about 25F and some cycling lobster claw mitts down into the teens. I have not ridden below that as Cleveland doesn't often see temps below 10F.
    Pogies seem like the ideal way to keep your hands warm as you can use lighter weight gloves. I will probably make the switch if/when my current lobster claw glove stop being effective.

Craig

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I use bar mitts and summer gloves on the Pugs. I love love love them. Even commuting to work and bombing ~1.5 miles downhill in single digits, I still use only summer gloves.

Sure, sometimes they may be borderline hot and make my hands sweat, but they still never get cold.

I typically use novara semi-lobsters for my commute on my cross bike, but below 20F, my hands will get pretty cold after ~5 miles....so in the colder temps I tend to just commute on the Pugs.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by starkm32 View Post
    Kawigirl, try using a hair dryer for a quick warmup; bootwarmers will also do the trick, a short time before your venture.

Or, if you can, start out with the bike indoors overnight.

Hand warmers.

Or a hot potato, or two, from the microwave.

I use a coupla boiled eggs (from my friendly chickens) in my DD (green) pogies when I do leave the bike out overnight.

At the end of my commute, I have breakfast.
    I like the egg idea! However, for afternoon or evening rides, which is what most of mine are, I'll stick with the hair dryer or boot warmer suggestion...that might help to take the chill off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I leave my bike outside at all times, and find that the handlebar grips are what suck the warmth from your hands.

I find if my hands are getting cold, I jump off the bike and do 45 jumping jacks. That gets blood moving and usually solves my cold hand problems. Also remember to move your hand positions, and wiggle your fingers around to keep the blood flowing.

Workin for the weekend!
    My buddy Val swears by his 'Lectric A'ME grips. Hot like fire, they keep him warm all winter long.
    Todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    An interesting concept - heated grips. Hope the engineers at Ergon are reading. Moosemitt pogies it is.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You can already buy all kinds of electric grips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    True, but not by Ergon. Heated GP1 units would be sweet.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Re: Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.

Been using a carbon bar and
    Endura Deluge Cycling Gloves this winter and have had warm hands in -15c temps.
    I normally have crappy circulation and get cold hand easily.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Dogwod Designs, and warmed thin polypropylene glove liners, should keep your hands toasty.

Always nice to have a coupla hand warmers handy?

Pogies, all the way!

PS Grip heaters might be a luxury, or overkill. If only the price of light Li-ion batteries isn't
    a heavy wallet drainer.....

mtbr member
    Pogies all day!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoreskillz View Post
    Empire Wool and Canvas Co."Ice Bike Mittens" for me, Love em!

Empire Wool and Canvas Company

What Yoreskillz said. Temps over 30 and the Empire's get shelved for something less awesome (but effective, of course).

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Bontrager Lobsters....I like them. But if it's like really cold where you live get Pogies.

Coldest here this year was -15
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Seems Empire is not making them for the current season.

Anyone with stocked inventory for them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Based on some references herein, I researched the various brands of pogies and got myself a pair. They are fairly decent. Hand warmth problem solved. A question for other riders who use them...

My hands are larger than most. Not quite catchers mitts, but close. The perfect pogie for me would be one whose internal cavity remained fully open/expanded so that my hands were free to move around on the grips, shifters, and brakes AND remained closed at the cuffs.

Has anybody else solved this?

mtbr member

gdb2b- For what it's worth (I have smallish hands) the double Deez (Dogwood Design) have an internal plastic section that stays flexible in the cold but also holds the mitt of the poagie up over the shifter and brake lever. They also have draw cords that can tighten up for the over the arm section. -10F with light gloves is no problem once the bars warm up a bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    gdb2b: Your bar ends will solve the issue, when you position them to your satisfaction.
    Last edited by starkm32; 02-06-2014 at 07:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Dogwood Designs pogies are nice, but they seem a bit pricey. I'm not sure if they are large enough for me.

I've got a home fabircated solution in the works though. A narrow, thin length of wind-up alarm clock spring steel (or equivalent) in it own sleeve inserted into the pogies about where the thumb rests and released to uncoil and expand the pogie, and another at or just below the pinky finger knuckle to the wrist above the thumb ought to do the trick.

Any Pogie manufacturers out there take note. This feature would make a nice accessory, either internal like this or better yet afix the reinforced nylon sleeve to the outside of the pogie and allow the spring steel strip to be inserted/or worn removed.

mtbr member
    I use bar mitts answer Specialized Deflect gloves. My hands getting cold has not been an issue.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    Dogwood regular pogies work great for me.
    But, like everything else, warmth & comfort depend on details.
    Specifically: 1. plug the space left around bar & levers with bread bags stuffed in there to block airflow...remove them if too warm.
    2. wrap grips with foam tape to decrease cold- sink effect.
    3. layer gloves according to conditions and personal heat production...just like other apparel layering.

Using this approach, I've had warm, comfy hands @ -20 F for over 3 hours.
    - the Lipid Licker rides again -

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wear a love glove

mtbr member
    Lots of ways to keep your hands warm. The real issue to me is how to regulate temp so you are not too hot or to cold as the ride goes on. Good quality pogies like my dogwood designs pogies allow for a broad temp range of comfort throughout the ride by making adjustments to the openings and/or by wearing a liner glove or not. It is great to have a little micro-climate inside a big pogie. It can be cool and airy or all sealed up. You can store small stuff during the ride in them like snacks or gloves or even very small pets.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Kinco work gloves. Need me some pogies real soon

Seriously... is this thread still going?

Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.-wintergloves.jpg
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

We the people ...

gdb2b, back atcha: Since heated grips were mentioned, and this winter being a bit of a bear, I snagged a pair off EBay.

Man, talk about overkill.

My hands were toasty on the first setting, hot on the last. & this, on a non-carbon bar.

Look Ma, no Gloves! (Do have a pair of (backup) gloves in my pack, just in case). With my Dogwoods over the grips, my hands were in sheer hebbin.

Toast. Eggs. & a coupla Goose Island Bourbon Stouts for breakfast, and I am reddy to saddle up.
    Last edited by starkm32; 02-11-2014 at 05:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice pic. Can't tell - your girlfiend (or is that your wife)? :-)

All, thanks for the tips and info. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I made my own pogies. Outer layer is cordura, foam mid layer, and a slick inner layer to help my arm/glove slide in and out. I usually switch between 3 weights of gloves depending on the temp. The coldest temp I've ridden in is -30c and the glove I had was essentially a double layer of fleece. No issues at all.

I am curious to try the empire wool and canvas ice mitts...

Re: Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.

Quote Originally Posted by gdb2b View Post
    Nice pic. Can't tell - your girlfiend (or is that your wife)? :-)

All, thanks for the tips and info. I appreciate it.
    Nice zinger
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Q: is it the right time of year to bring this thread back to life?

A: Yes, said the new guy....

I'm in Minnesota so considering Cobrafists (20% off at LBS) and Moose Mitts. Like the look of the Empire Wool stuff but find no listings....any other finds not mentioned yet?

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
    Q: is it the right time of year to bring this thread back to life?

A: Yes, said the new guy....

I'm in Minnesota so considering Cobrafists (20% off at LBS) and Moose Mitts. Like the look of the Empire Wool stuff but find no listings....any other finds not mentioned yet?
    That's a doggone shame about Empire being booked. Darn nice mitts, I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm in Chicago... expecting snow on Friday, apparently. I may need to put the studded tires on my bike already!!

I made myself a set of waxed canvas and Felt pogies last year, which work fairly well. The waxed canvas is quite stiff in the cold, and this makes them easy to get hands in and out of since they don't collapse. My only problem with them is that the pattern I made could use a little work (larger arm portion, and different angle to the arms).
    Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.-jogies-5.jpg

I also have a pair of half-lobster Goretex gloves that I wear when I don't use the pogies. In the pogies, I just need my lightweight fall/summer gloves.