Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.

For those of you that ride in the winter, especially in temperatures below 20 degrees, would you be willing to share what gloves you use?

I'm not having much luck fiding gloves that keep my fingers warm at temps below 20. I just tried a pair of UnderArmor Etreme ColdGear tonight. Was running my fingers under warm water 80 minutes later. Not Fun.

Heretofore I've been using some really lightweight Pearl Izumi full finger gloves under some heavier North Face gloves. That will work down to about 20 degrees or so.

What do you use? Poogies? Lobster mitts?

mtbr member
    May 2011

I have wear my full finger summer riding gloves, and use the handlebar grip covers. It gives me the best of both worlds. I can feel the controls, and stay very comfortable. If I wear my warm gloves (black stallion fuzzy fingers) my hands sweet and then get cold.

http://fat-bike.com/2012/01/pogies-k...e-digits-warm/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Ski gloves! I also use an old pair of P-I lobsters. Hand warmer packs help too. The other day we rode at 12 deg and I put a hand warmer in each lobster finger (4 total). Worked well. I'm tempted by bar-mitts and others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    These are awesome. Rode last week in -50.

Mercury Mitt - Black Diamond Gear

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Lobster's from Pearl for the cold stuff, medium weight PIs for everything from 38 to 20 F.

is buachail foighneach me
    Pogies with light fleece gloves down to -20ish, multilayer rag wool gloves if it's colder. If the temps are in the twenties or above, most loose fitting, windproof fleece gloves will work well on their own.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pogies are the single best winter/cold riding gear I have, no kidding. The last few weeks it's been pretty warm here in Anchorage, 20 to 30 degrees on my commutes (now it's 40 degrees and raining). On those 20-30 commutes I've been going with NO gloves and just the pogies, they are amazing, and my circulation is crappy due to reynaulds. On colder days with simple thin "liner" style gloves they keep my hands nice and toasty. I even used them a little on my non-fat bike when winter was setting in before the snow. It's one piece of gear I wish I had years ago for sure.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the Dogwood Designs pogies and really don't need to wear anything other than summer full finger gloves to stay warm. But depending on how far away from home you are and the temperature, it might be wise to bring some warmer gloves incase you need to work with your hands outside the pogies.

I do have ANSWER brand gloves and they are awesome. Warm for temps down to the low teens, and have soft cloth on the thumbs for wiping goggles.

Anchorage, AK
    Gloves are for suckers they don't work in the cold. Pogies are okay, but I prefer these:

Name:  mittens.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  11.0 KB
    --Peace

mtbr member
    ^I guess if you don't mind letting go of the bars for braking, those will do the trick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1 on the pogies! I'm using the 45 North Cobrafists and used Bar Mitts previously. I'll never go back to gloves alone I think. PI Lobster a Claws can get the job done in pretty cold conditions but the touch you have using lighter gloves under pogies rocks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anybody using Pogies with Ergon grips (or other non-round grips)?

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb2b View Post
    Anybody using Pogies with Ergon grips (or other non-round grips)?
    Yes. This is the exact combination I use. Ergon GP1 with Moose-Mitts. I wear a thin glove underneath and all is wonderful.

Still working on perfecting foot comfort in the low temps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wear a pair of Gore Radiator gloves (semi-lobster)... BUT I use pogies as well, which really blocks the wind well.

EDIT: I also use ergons under my pogies. I have the GC-1 (swept bar ergons) on jeff-jones loop bars. I went the 45Nrth route and cut some holes in the pogies so that I can affix them to the bars using expandable bar-ends. It's a really great connection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.-pugssnow-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have some Louis Garneau gloves that I wear down to about 15 degrees, then I wear Burton snowboard gloves.

mtbr member
    Empire Wool and Canvas Co."Ice Bike Mittens" for me, Love em!

Empire Wool and Canvas Company

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    With Bar Mitts, the glove question quickly disappears. My Pearl Izumi lobster claws are incredibly uncomfortable (too warm) if its above -5F, from there my "medium temperature" mavic gloves (not sure what they are, discontinued model) that are good for road riding at 35-45F are good, as long as it doesnt get above 20. For 20-32F I use Giordana Nordic, a fairly light glove. Above freezing, summer-time mtb gloves are good.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The problem that most of us with poor circulation experience is that our palms will often be toasty, sweating, but our fingers will be ice-cold and go crazy numb. The insulated glove-fingers basically become heat sinks in this case, as they are reduced to ambient temperature and no heat is trapped. All the while our palms are fine. There's plenty of "heat" being generated, just our fingers decide to cut off the flow. I've searched long and wide and it's always been futile, the same thing happens with any and all gloves. Once your palm starts to sweat and the glove starts carrying some moisture things get bad fast. Pogies are absolutely amazing for this, the warmth from your hands keeps the entire area (bar, etc) warm and it just works. Nothing like gloves.

Everyone always claims there's some magic glove out there. I've never found it. I do have expedition mittens I use for going out to Alaskan villages here in the winter, but those would be a terrible choice on a bike, as my hands would sweat and the same thing would happen again with my fingers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Anything by Black Diamond:

Ski Gloves, Waterproof Gloves, Glove Liners // Black Diamond

All their gear rocks. No magic, just better than the other non-magical glove options, YMMV.
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I can get away with my summer full fingers down to around freezing. My hands stay strangely warm. It's rarely above freezing during a MN winter though.

I use a thin pair of wool liners under a thick pair of lobster gloves that are made for CX skiing. I picked up the whole setup upstairs at Midwest Mountaineering really cheap. Works for in during the closest rides I've been on -10 F.

Everyone is different tho and if my fingers got cold (My feet turn to ice blocks at 40 F) I'd buy pogies in a second. I still might.

The problem with my setup is it's a PITA if you need your fingers for stuff. With pogies you just pull your hand out and your ready.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pogies are probably the best investment I've made. Before, my hands and feet would get cold, no matter what I did. Now just my feet get cold, and I can't find a magic boot/sock/liner/whatever that'll keep my toes from freezing. On those really really cold days, toss a chemical heat pack into the pogies and it'll provide a bit of extra help.

mtbr member
    This Canadian company called Choko Designs makes a real warm snowmobile mitt called the Claw Mitts. When it get's real cold, those are my go to mitts. They are extremely warm and with the Claw design, you can still do 2 finger braking while still holding on to the bars.

Cordura Claw Mitts

Wintertime riding - what gloves do you wear.-hjc-838100-004.jpg
    Current bikes:

2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy Fatbike
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Felt F65X Cyclocross

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have a question regarding pogies. I just got the dogwood designs pogies and one thing I find is that if they are cold when I start my hands will stay cold too. Are you guys just keeping them in the house and putting them on before you go out? Still kind of a PITA since by the time I get them on my handlebars, voila, they're cold. What's the secret here? I'm also still getting a bit of a draft in them, from the inside drawstring. Just can't seem to get them tight enough! Thoughts?

Elitest thrill junkie
    If my bike is outside in -5F temps or whatever, it takes a little longer for my bike to "heat up", maybe 2-3 miles in I get to "operating temperature". In those cases I'm using thicker gloves, still "insulation" type gloves with no hard shell, but much thicker due to the cold bike and air temp. In the winter I'm leaving them on all the time, the only thing I change is my liners. If it's warmer, I'll use thin glove liners (or none at all), in those cases I'll still carry the thicker ones with me, "just in case". '

I try not to store my bike outside, but when I commute back home from work my bike has been sitting outside.

I would recommend starting with medium weight glove liners, then switch out if you get too hot. Don't immediately try to go "no gloves" or "thin summer mtb gloves" if you're storing the bike outside. The pogies will heat up just fine, but your handlebar and grips will take some time. I use a CF handlebar on this bike to help with this, as it's not going to transmit (lose) heat as easily.

Play with the drawstring, I had one side that was sealed up good, just a front brake, no shifter, and the other side with a shifter and brake wasn't really sealing up well. I didn't notice it till I started riding around with no gloves, then I could really feel the "draft". The drawstring seems to make sense when it fits on the brake levers, but I think the shifter on the other side was creating a blockage that it couldn't conform to. I moved them a little further away from each other and it was perfect, the pogie sealed up on that side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Maybe the glove I used underneath should have been thicker. I was using a wind proof glove from black diamond(yeah for most people that would do it!) but I should try with a lobster glove instead. (Bit more insulated). Sometimes I'll go through a phase where my thumbs tingle and hurt from cold and then they get really warm. Maybe that's just part of winter riding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast