Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Winter Riding and Freezing Water

So I'm bored at work and was looking for alternatives to keeping water in a framebag in the winter vs. on your back and under your jacket. My initial thought was some type of aquarium heater in a water bladder in your frame bag hooked to a battery and dynamo hub. I did some research and the only USB heaters I could find probably wouldn't be effective. Instead of using a heater, would using this small pump powered by a dynamo hub and battery in an insulated water bladder, work?

DC 3W USB 4 5V 12V Submersible Water Pump Aquarium Fish Pond Micro Mini Pump | eBay

My thought being that moving water doesn't freeze. Is this plausible, or am I way off base?

Rocking on a Rocky

Celsius Solid Fuel Hand Warmer

It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky

Zippo Hand Warmer

It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    After carrying Nalgenes on many winter hikes, I can assure you that moving water does indeed freeze.

For day trips, I use insulated sleeves and I fill the bottles with hot water before leaving home. They still freeze, but it takes longer overall.

I have one sleeve from OR and another from EMS. Both work fine.

Another option may be to put a chemical toe or hand warmer packet at the bottom of the insulated sleeve. I haven't tried that yet.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

Moderator Moderator
    A thermos is nice.

mtbr member
    work harder, get promotion, make more money, by lighter bike, do the same ride in less time, not get as cold
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Start with hot water, drink the water before it freezes, maybe use a thermos.

Nuts
    Keep your water bottle upside down, helps to keep the valve from freezing. Also mix with some kinda sugar drink that helps as well or use Gatorade mixed with Everclear
    And I love beer!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Snowboarding camelback helps. Insulated hose that is zipped away inside the shoulder strap (instead of outside).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A shot of whiskey in each bottle helps lower the freezing temp of the water.

Laramie, Wyoming
    hikernks, for how long are you planning on riding? As Bob pointed out above, using Gatorade helps a lot. Next, use an insulated bottle carrier or put the bottle in the frame bag. At some point they will all freeze. For really long rides, I carry a small ultra light stove for getting more water and thawing what I have. Warm Gatorade tastes great when it's below zero. You shouldn't have much of a problem if you live in Kansas at 1300 feet. Try the JPAKS insulated carrier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    then there is thermosses distant cousin....the insulated waterbottle

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    hikernks, for how long are you planning on riding? As Bob pointed out above, using Gatorade helps a lot. Next, use an insulated bottle carrier or put the bottle in the frame bag. At some point they will all freeze. For really long rides, I carry a small ultra light stove for getting more water and thawing what I have. Warm Gatorade tastes great when it's below zero. You shouldn't have much of a problem if you live in Kansas at 1300 feet. Try the JPAKS insulated carrier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anything carbonated, like carbonated water, won't freeze till 14F -10C. You do need to warm it up slightly for a couple minutes in your jacket before you pop the top or it will flash freeze when you do.

When it's cold carry a stove or a handwarmer like has been said. Everclear is a great multi use item that can double duty as stove fuel under the right conditions....preferably before you drink much of it.... ;>)

And no, carbon frames aren't carbonated.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Heads-up guys: Hot water can freeze faster than cold water. Called the Mpemba effect.

Insulated bottle helps. Hydrating before the ride also helps.

I've had good luck with a camelback with insulated tube. Sometimes the bite vavle freezed up, but a bite down or sucking on it works.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Another vote for a shot of vodka, whiskey etc.

One for the water bottle too of course....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Lord Thunderbottom
    hydroflask, I stopped 3 hours into a 15deg F ride and still had hot soup and room temp water
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

A Thermos, when pre heated with boiling water for a few minutes before actually filling it will hold heat for longer than you'll want to be out on your bike at well below freezing. And modern thermos' can be surprisingly light.

Edit: don't use anything other than stainless lined, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuts
    And serious about keeping the bottle upside down to keep the nipple (he he) clear.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hydroflask is your friend. I have four of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    And serious about keeping the bottle upside down to keep the nipple (he he) clear.
    Bob; I know that water freezes from the top down...but in a water bottle with all areas exposed to the air...has me scratching my head. Also, water expands as it freezes, there goes that nipple...and the remaining liquid water? But can see a limited possibility under which this trick could be worth a try.

Can you relate personal experiences and conditions under which this held true?

Edit: Or was this the method used to keep that nipple clear and free flowing?
    The Blessings of Providence...NOwhere or NOWhere? ...Chuck Norris paraphrased

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post

Yes this^^^ It doesn't help the water from freezing any faster but it does keep it flowing longer and there have been a few on here that tried this and reported back with good results.
    And I love beer!!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Bob; I know that water freezes from the top down...but in a water bottle with all areas exposed to the air...has me scratching my head. Also, water expands as it freezes, there goes that nipple...and the remaining liquid water? But can see a limited possibility under which this trick could be worth a try.

Can you relate personal experiences and conditions under which this held true?

I often ride in temps near or below zero in the winter. Already, my ride this evening was nearly four hours of riding below 30 F. With a Strong Gatorade mixture, I don't usually have issues until the temps are below 10 F. If I notice that the bottles are starting to get slushy, I will turn the spare bottle upside down if I have one. I also use the Camelback bottles with the nipples that lock so that water doesn't get in the valve until I'm using that bottle (I usually have at least two bottles).

On a side note, I was riding beside someone last year during a long race who had both of his bottles freeze (mine were slushy but not frozen). It had been near or below zero since the race started, it was several hours later. Water had frozen in his nipple and his cap was frozen on. He was hoping to get some of the frozen water out of his bottle I guess and he hit his bottle on his bars to try to loosen the cap. I watched the bottle shatter. Just a thought about what not to try.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    With a Strong Gatorade mixture...
    The opposite of hydration IMO, that's just too much sugar.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

I ride in the mountains snowmobiling. The water bag doesnt freeze in your pack the hose and valve does. The neoprean covers are a joke, geiger rig makes one called a garage that you put a hand warmer in.

mtbr member
    Last winter, I used this bottle.
    Wiggle | Elite Iceberg Thermal 650ml Bottle | Water Bottles
    It worked wery well. Really cold weathers i used warm water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast