Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Winter Biking Boots

I currently use a pair of north face snow hiking boots to ride in. The boots work fine and to date I have not had an issue of my feet getting cold.

i keep thinking i’d Like to buy a pair of biking specific boots; however, the cost makes me feel faint.

Is is there a reasonably priced ~$250 Canadian boot out there for something in a size 10 or so. My searching tells me no way, but just thought I would ask.

i also really like the look north wave gran canion; however, based on my searches, it seems that those boots are almost non-existent for purchase via the internet.

i should note that I ride flat pedals and I have no intention of changing and I live in Calgary, Alberta where winter temps can range from +5 to -25 Celsius.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey Rocky
    I am also in calgary and ride flats with fiveten freerider eps in all of our cold weather. With a good pair of gaiters they are warm enough for me. I am a furnace though so if you tend to get cold easy you may experience something different.

mtbr member
    Went for my first winter ride the other day. My feet, specifically my toes, we're the only thing that got cold at temps around freezing for 11 miles.

Wore 2 pairs of wool socks in an old pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorn boots. Used to be my hunting pair. Not enough.

So also looking for reasonable budget solutions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Unfortunately, the bike specific boots are over the top expensive. I've been looking at snowmobile boots out of curiosity cause 45Nrth is not gonna extract 350-450 outta my pocket. Looks like a stop at the sled shop is in order to investigate further.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would think that snowmobile boots would be very heavy, which I guess could build up the quads for the summer season.....
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Find some used Lake 303s or 45nrth Wolvhammers. Size up 1 for thicker socks. No need to buy this stuff new. Lots of lightly used floating around if on a budget.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I bought the Bontrager OMW boots. Outrageously expensive and a great way to freeze your feet for high cost.
    Maybe they were meant for winters in Florida or Mexico? They are not for the Canadian prairie winter.
    Not recommended.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    No question that the 45NRTH offerings are over the top expensive, that said I haven't had cold feet since buying my wolvhammer's. Nothing worse than cold toes and it always seems to strike when you're a long way from home, after trying several winter boots and having to walk to try and get feeling back in my toes I finally broke down and bought a pair, no regrets.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

Rocking on a Rocky
    An insulated winter hiking boot is all you need. Just above the ankle anything higher and you're going to chafe. One good pair of wool socks and room in the boot for your toes to move. If you jamit in there it's going to freeze. And you have to dry the boot after every ride to get the moisture out of the lining and the insulation. If you drive to your biking destination don't wear your boots and change your socks before your Gear Up.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I wear Merrell Polarand Rove slip ons. They are insulated, have no laces and are loose enough at the top to tuck your pants in or keep them out without chafing. They have a sole that can be walked in and fits on my pinned platforms well. With a liner and wool socks I have been comfortable for multiple hour fat bike rides. And they were cheap...
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    200 thinsulate winter hiking boots paired with a pair of merino wool socks. Buy them a half to full size larger. The air space between the foot and boots acts as an insulation barrier.

Something like this or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019Q...ue+snow+junkie

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It seems nearly all of us use flats in the cold.
    My OMW boots have spd fittings. I swear these things channel the cold directly into my feet. Even at -10C they are simply cold.

turtles make me hot
    I've been using Lake 303's for a few years now. No cold toes down to zero degrees.
    I think I paid 225 for them three years ago.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toadmeister View Post
    Went for my first winter ride the other day. My feet, specifically my toes, we're the only thing that got cold at temps around freezing for 11 miles.

Wore 2 pairs of wool socks in an old pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorn boots. Used to be my hunting pair. Not enough.

So also looking for reasonable budget solutions.

Just today, I rode 30 miles on my road bike right at 32 deg F in my Giro Rumbles (ordinary clipless shoe). I wore a pair a standard compression knee-highs, and had a pair of those charcoal sole inserts in my shoes. My toes did start getting cold over about the last mile or two. I’ve also used just the toe warmers with good results. Highly recommended for riding at or a little below freezing.

mtbr member
    Keen winter hikers with JB Fields -30 Icelandic socks here

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you're riding flats, don't use bike specific boots. Cleat attachments are a heat sink and will make your feet cold. Regular insulated hiking boots with a decently stiff sole is the way to go and much more cost effective. If you're worried about wind getting through, get a pair with goretex or similar.
    Last edited by Kay9Cop; 11-24-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I would think that snowmobile boots would be very heavy, which I guess could build up the quads for the summer season.....
    While some are heavy, I've owned some that were no heavier than a pair of Sorels. And they are usually far cheaper than some of the offerings from the bicycle industry. There's a major difference in a pair of mountaineering boots and winter bike boots and no excuse for these mediocre bike boots being in the same price range...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you're going to continue using flats then look for snowshoeing boots. I've been using Salomon Synapse Winter boots for ~5 years. They're great. They're waterproof, very light weight, and well insulated. They cost $125 from Live-out-there.

That said, I've been looking for cycling specific boots so I can clip in. I've been looking at the Louis Garneau Klondike boots which look great, as well as the new Northwave Yeti. 45NRTH maybe good but the price is ridiculous and the boots are crazy heavy. Most fat bikers say that weight doesn't matter but I totally disagree. A light weight bike and boots makes the ride more playful and therefore much more fun.

If anyone has experience with the Garneau Klondike boots or Northwave I'd love to hear your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    200 thinsulate winter hiking boots paired with a pair of merino wool socks. Buy them a half to full size larger. The air space between the foot and boots acts as an insulation barrier.

Something like this or similar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019Q...ue+snow+junkie

I pretty much agree with this. Normal boots work well for me on flats. I wear a non-thinsulate boot down to 15-20°f but my feet don't get too cold normally.

Men - Moab Adventure Mid Waterproof - Dark Earth | Merrell

Below that I use 200g insulated Columbia boots that were on sale locally.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-bugabo...or=255#start=2

Finally, the last boot below was used when I worked outside on a concrete dock when I was younger and would wear these boots when temps were below 0°f and my feet would sweat with normal socks on. I've never found a warmer boot than these and most people I worked with used the same boot and found the same results. If you have cold feet, these are incredible but be sure they are warm when you put your feet in them.

The downside is they are heavy boots and not the most comfortable. I've never had to use them on a bicycle but I still have mine that I wore in the mid-90's and they still work fantastic when needed.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...s-new?a=591923

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    the only mod I did to a pair of Columbia boots (they have those little foil reflective dots)... is that I sliced off some of the tread knobs around the ball of my foot, without doing that, even with new pins, not sure footing,, but I took the tread down a bit (not totally gone) and it's made a significant difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the input all, looks like i will be sticking with the north face snow hikers I haves they keep my feet warm, but are a little on the heavy side.

Maybe I will opt to spend my money on studded tires instead.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    looking into vasque snowblimes or vasque snowburban ii

mtbr member
    The only real benefits of cycling specific boots are the ability to clip in and the stiffness needed for small platform clip pedals. With large flat pedals you would just be tossing away $$$ for no benefit.

mtbr member
    This is what I ware and they're great. $110
    COLUMBIA BUGABOOT PLUS III XTM OH WINTER BOO

FEATURES:
    Combination of leather, nylon, webbing and metal hardware
    Techlite™ shell
    Waterproof seam-sealed consturction
    Omni-Heat™ reflective lining
    600g insulation
    Rated -65F/-54C
    Techlite™ lightweight midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return
    Omni-Grip™ non-marking traction rubber outsole
    Weight: size 9, ½ pair = 25.2 oz / 716 g

MATERIAL:
    UPPER
    Combination of leather, nylon, webbing and metal hardware
    SHELL
    Techlite™
    LINING
    Omni-Heat™ reflective
    INSULATION
    600g
    MIDSOLE
    Techlite™
    OUTSOLE
    Omni-Grip™ non-marking rubber
    Northern NJ

mtbr member
    I'm also considering the Columbia Bugaboo

mtbr member
    I am on my fourth season with the Columbia Boots shown above. They work great on my flat pedals. I put a few gripstuds in them for when it gets icy. I have some Lakes that I wear when it is above zero, but the Columbia boots are my choice when it gets real cold. Size them big enough so you have airflow around your feet and you will be golden.
    Gettin' Fat!...That's Where It's At!

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    The only real benefits of cycling specific boots are the ability to clip in and the stiffness needed for small platform clip pedals. With large flat pedals you would just be tossing away $$$ for no benefit.
    Not necessarily. I'm using OMW's with flat pedals and they're pretty awesome. I would describe them as moderately stiff - flexy enough to comfortable walk around in, but definitely stiffer than most general-purpose winter boots, which I consider to be a good thing. While it may be a boot that you can use SPDs with, I haven't found any downsides to screwing a cover plate over the cleat and using them with flats.

On top of that, they are really light, low profile/not bulky, quite warm and have a removable liner, which is an awesome feature that few other boots seem to offer. I've had a hard time finding a general-purpose winter boot that offers all of the above.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Unequivocally I recommend the 45NRTH Wolvhammers. Not cheap by any stretch, but have held up very well and have kept my feet warmer and dryer than any of the pairs of Lakes that I've owned over the years.

noob bikepacker
    just put the Bugaboots on my Christmas list!!! Can't go wrong with Columbia
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Not necessarily. I'm using OMW's with flat pedals and they're pretty awesome. I would describe them as moderately stiff - flexy enough to comfortable walk around in, but definitely stiffer than most general-purpose winter boots, which I consider to be a good thing. While it may be a boot that you can use SPDs with, I haven't found any downsides to screwing a cover plate over the cleat and using them with flats.

On top of that, they are really light, low profile/not bulky, quite warm and have a removable liner, which is an awesome feature that few other boots seem to offer. I've had a hard time finding a general-purpose winter boot that offers all of the above.
    I am glad they work for you. Some above have found the 200g of Thinsulate to be lacking.

Boots are like any other cycling outerwear, one item does not work for all conditions. I found my 200g Dututh Trading Post Grindstone boots to work every bit as well as my Lake MXZ 302's, so I sold the Lakes. When it gets really cold, I go for my Irish Setter hunting boots with 1,000g. They are a bit bulky, but plenty light. Whatever works.

Had I found it more beneficial to clip in I would have kept the 302s and probably spent the $$$ to add some Wolvehammers for the colder days.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I am glad they work for you. Some above have found the 200g of Thinsulate to be lacking.

Boots are like any other cycling outerwear, one item does not work for all conditions..
    Absolutely. And I don't by any means expect the OMW's to be the optimal choice in all the conditions I ride in (I live @ 6200' in Idaho, it's gets cold here). But I sized up enough that I can wear double socks if I need to, and that should work fine for our typical conditions.

If it's going to be colder than that, I have a pair of Merrel Polarands (400g Thinsulate) that I use, usually with a thin liner sock, VBL and thicker outer sock.

I'm just not a fan of bulky, soft-soled, pac boots for riding. Athletic-oriented winter boots tend work better, in my experience, for a variety of reasons. But like I said above, it's hard to find any that include all the other features of a boot like the OMW.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    I use some salomon insulated boots. These keep me very warm and toasty with some gaiter. I have also used some Columbia winter boots as well with the omniheat tech on them. I have never been cold in those with some wool socks. IMHO the bike specific brands like 45nrth are way overpriced. If you think about it they are just winter hiking boots

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    IMHO the bike specific brands like 45nrth are way overpriced. If you think about it they are just winter hiking boots
    They're just like winter hiking boots in the same way that cross country ski boots are like hiking boots, both insulated for winter but not necessarily the same.
    I won't argue that the Wolvhammers are not over-priced as they nearly cost me my marriage, definately a bit of fat-tax on them. That said they are constructed with an inner boot and an outer covering (much like cross country ski boots) and have a much stiffer sole than any winter hiking boots I've owned. I'd never suggest that everyone needs a pair but I love mine, haven't had cold feet since I got them.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    They're just like winter hiking boots in the same way that cross country ski boots are like hiking boots, both insulated for winter but not necessarily the same.
    I won't argue that the Wolvhammers are not over-priced as they nearly cost me my marriage, definately a bit of fat-tax on them. That said they are constructed with an inner boot and an outer covering (much like cross country ski boots) and have a much stiffer sole than any winter hiking boots I've owned. I'd never suggest that everyone needs a pair but I love mine, haven't had cold feet since I got them.
    Agreed. Not saying they are bad but I definitely dont see them like you in a sense that they are super different. I have some winter hiking sorels that have removable inner liners. But who really cares, I only stated that IMO they were the same, someone else will find riding with some hiking boots totally unbearable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    they nearly cost me my marriage

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I was considering Columbia Bugaboo but this will be my first winter riding and I was thinking they might be too high any thoughts

mtbr member
    Waiting for the Black Friday sales before ordering some insulated hiking boots.

If you find deals, please post them here!

I wear a wide shoe and it's tough finding them. The Columbia Bugaboots do come in wides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm also looking at these maybe better riding inthen bugaboos rate very well. I'll be checking Black Friday so will post any good deals I find
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Biking Boots-mrlm-j41917-080813-s14-hero.png  

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by STAGER1 View Post
    I was considering Columbia Bugaboo but this will be my first winter riding and I was thinking they might be too high any thoughts
    This can be the case for some I suspect. I really do love my Merrell boots for anything into the 20° range because they are not very high and are warm enough for me in those conditions. When I wear the Columbia boots it's generally colder out and I have enough layers on that they don't chafe or bother me but I think that will vary from user to user.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post
    Unequivocally I recommend the 45NRTH Wolvhammers. Not cheap by any stretch, but have held up very well and have kept my feet warmer and dryer than any of the pairs of Lakes that I've owned over the years.
    I just got a pair as im clipping in this winter. Was -20 last night with a thick wool sock and after an hour toes got a slight chill and i wiggled them a bit and the chill went away. If its any colder ill prob wear a thinner sock and put a hot shot stuck to my sock.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Just ordered a pair of these from Cabelas. Used a discount code I had and some Cabela's points, got a great deal: Cabela's Boa® Snow Runner™ Max Boots

Cabela's Boa® Snow Runner™ Max Boots : Cabela's

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Those look nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Men's bugaboos 2 Omni heat type in black Friday men's winter boots go to dicks price says 99 but when you check out the take 25 dollars off 74.99 free delivery to store limited time

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Men's bugaboos 2 Omni heat type in black Friday men's winter boots go to dicks price says 99 but when you check out the take 25 dollars off 74.99 free delivery to store limited time
    Good deal, you can save another 4% with activejunky too.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Elitest thrill junkie
    Appears to have a relatively exaggerated sculpted arch. IME, you want the boot with a sole as flat as possible, which does exist, but these appear to be the opposite of that. It's really hard to get the pedal in the sweet spot with flats and sculpted (not flat) external arches. The proper flat-pedal foot position is with the pedal back further than the ball of your foot, unlike SPDs.

These appear to be a little better, but there are probably others out there that are even more optimized: https://www.columbia.com/mens-bangor...ationColor=010
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks I'll check those out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Appears to have a relatively exaggerated sculpted arch. IME, you want the boot with a sole as flat as possible, which does exist, but these appear to be the opposite of that. It's really hard to get the pedal in the sweet spot with flats and sculpted (not flat) external arches. The proper flat-pedal foot position is with the pedal back further than the ball of your foot, unlike SPDs.

These appear to be a little better, but there are probably others out there that are even more optimized: https://www.columbia.com/mens-bangor...ationColor=010
    Agreed, one reason I sprung for the Cabelas boots per my post above.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I likwd those Cabelas butt I want to wear them for work also in that color will get destroy

aka bOb
    I've been using Keens for several years, great boots with a big toe box but they don't play well with all flat pedals.

Edit: And they are stupid light for regular boots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Which teams are light I was trying on some but they were steel toe for work and most of them are pretty heavy

aka bOb
    Which teams are light I was trying on some but they were steel toe for work and most of them are pretty heavy
    I just weighed them I guess they are not that light altho they feel light compared to my other insulated boots. Mine are Keen Summits size 9.5 and the are 730 g a piece. My feet get stinking cold and these do a great job in central WI.

For reference Wolvhammers are about 770g each for size 44.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just picked up a pair of Bontrager OMW boots for $180 in the Black Friday sales. The reviews are good and first ride felt great. A very warm boot with an aggressive sole and fittings for cleats. I was saving for the North45 Wolvhammers but these were half the price.

Wife found these earlier which appear to have a good flat sole for flat pedals:
    https://www.salomon.com/us/product/k...d-cs-wp-2.html

I might give them a try if the Columbia Bugaboos I've got coming don't feel good on flats, but they're aren't rated to as low a temp.

Banned
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 1 Week Ago at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    In the fringe seasons I use the Lake MX-145 and love them. They're good from about 45 degrees down to 25 degrees. The last few years I've used the MXZ-303's, and they're good from about 30 degrees to about 0 degrees for 2 hours, then my feet get cold. I'm not that impressed with them. I bought some early Wolvhammers a few years ago on a spring deal and have not used them yet but may break them out this year. They are still new in the box with the tags on them.

Due to the snow we have here on the coast of Maine, I find myself having a hard time clipping in for a month due to ice buildup on the cleat, where it will ball up and I have to bang it off. This year when that starts happening I may switch to flats just to be done with the fighting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    For the boot to be viable for me, I have to be able to reach a "break even point" where it feels that I can sustain the level of cold/feeling in my feet almost indefinitely. This means keeping toes pretty comfortable and not being in a situation where I'm basically racing against a clock until I can't feel my feet. I feel this is inherently dangerous if you get delayed, weather changes, something else unplanned happens, etc. Commuting to work, I just throw my lakes on the boot-dryer and turn it on for a few min so they get warmed up nice and toasty, that's inherently different to me than cycling out in the wilderness, even wilderness that starts at the edge of the city or within.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I went with these look good for flat pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Biking Boots-442570_442570_1.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The arch wasn't too bad on the Bugaboos, the tread went back further than my current hiking boots - but the size 12's were too small. I guess I'll try the 13's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Got these today paid 120 on Amazon super light and bottoms seem perfect for flats. Now I need so snow baby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Biking Boots-kimg0084.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I picked up a pair of Korkers Polar Vortex 600 for work, but I rode with them this afternoon and they were perfect. 600 grams of Thinsulate and my vapor barrier socks and my feet were toasty the whole ride. They stuck like glue to my Race Face Chesters.

Nice flat bottoms.

Good traction.

They come with swappable tread, one of which is studded.

The tread replacements are backed by a hard plastic, which were nice for pedaling.

They might make for a good candidate for Jayem's DIY cleats that he mentioned in another thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Cool what do they good for

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I got mine on a Black Friday sale, but I think they are regularly $220.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Those would be great for work for me also as I'm outside most days. Had similar boots but mine were heavy working in them and my one piece carhart was exhausting

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi there Rocky Mtn, for Canadia boots I use a pair of Sorels I got about 8-10 years ago. There are pretty warm and comfy but a little on the heavy side. I use a pair of keens (mid height) for most of my cold weather (0 and below) riding. They are 400 grams of thinsulate and a nice pair of wool socks. They are super light and great for walking (yes it happens ). I also use some DMR V12 pedals so they are really aggressive. Seems to work well for me. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought a set of Korkers Storm Jacks with the 200g thinsulate. Campers Village is blowing them out for $80 (now $70 but only in size 8). Was a little disappointed with the grip on basic vee 60 pedals, and they stack quite high so make sure you have some extra room to raise your seatpost! I guess I'll have to try Chesters!

DIY spd is interesting, but the soles are pretty thin. Previous versions of their fishing sole used 5.10 stealth rubber, but alas those are not compatible with the new system. That would have been a killer winter biking boot! They now do a vibram sole but maybe the lugs are too big to offer good flat pedal grip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I think their Klingon sticky sole would be good for flats, but I'm not sure the wading soles are compatible with the winter boots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yesterday I rode with the all rubber tread and the grip was almost Five Ten-like. Today I rode with the studded tread and the grip wasn't as good. It was as if the height of the studs on the pedals and the height of the studs on the tread cancelled each other out. I'm going to stick with the all rubber for fat biking unless it's super slick out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The way this fat biking season has gone here, there is little reason for me to look for new boots because the season started great, with really nice snow. However, recent temps and lack of snow have turned most trails into icy runways......

I think I may ultimately buy a pair of those 45 north boots. I think.
    2015 Giant Fastroad

Currently tempted by these, but they don't seem to be in stores anywhere. Just shipped direct from Merrell. Sounds like they've got soft rubber on the bottom but I want the sole to have some stiffness for pedals.

Men - Thermo Vortex 8" Waterproof - Black | Merrell

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    The way this fat biking season has gone here, there is little reason for me to look for new boots because the season started great, with really nice snow. However, recent temps and lack of snow have turned most trails into icy runways......

I think I may ultimately buy a pair of those 45 north boots. I think.
    Decent snow in Fernie right now, no ice, just grippy packed snow.

FB&H rider
    Hadn't read this thread until riding through slushy snow and ice last Friday and realizing my indoor soccer shoes were not going to do a trick on longer colder rides.
    After reading the myriad solutions in here I can see that people have tried just about everything.
    Tried my Salomon snow boots (just above ankle height, much shorter than my Sorels). Price was definitely right as I already owned them I purchased them in a spring clearance years ago for $40.
    Had two concerns: if the pins on my Aeffect pedals would damage the tread or the boot would either slip off and/or rub due to bulk. Neither were a problem. Was able to find foot positions that were comfortable and felt locked in. Did about 4 miles in 4" snow with no problems. Now will just have to see if I can tolerate them for 20 miles, but at least my feet will stay warm!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Goldilocks should have chosen the fatbike.

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by PhdPepper View Post
    Hadn't read this thread until riding through slushy snow and ice last Friday and realizing my indoor soccer shoes were not going to do a trick on longer colder rides.
    After reading the myriad solutions in here I can see that people have tried just about everything.
    Tried my Salomon snow boots (just above ankle height, much shorter than my Sorels). Price was definitely right as I already owned them I purchased them in a spring clearance years ago for $40.
    Had two concerns: if the pins on my Aeffect pedals would damage the tread or the boot would either slip off and/or rub due to bulk. Neither were a problem. Was able to find foot positions that were comfortable and felt locked in. Did about 4 miles in 4" snow with no problems. Now will just have to see if I can tolerate them for 20 miles, but at least my feet will stay warm!

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Get some snow gaiters if you aren't using them already, those help significantly stepping on and off the bike, basically make everything above your ankle no-issue and you can step through snow at will.

mtbr member
    I did the same thing these OMW boots seem very plush. Where I live I will use them for maybe three months so the price point was a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by brasco1033 View Post
    I just picked up a pair of Bontrager OMW boots for $180 in the Black Friday sales. The reviews are good and first ride felt great. A very warm boot with an aggressive sole and fittings for cleats. I was saving for the North45 Wolvhammers but these were half the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Note sure if these are worthy, but Merrell has their Ridgepass Mid Thermo Waterproof boots on sale for $64.99 today:

Men - Ridgepass Thermo Mid Waterproof - Black/Moss | Merrell

ActiveJunky.com is offering 12% cashback as well. There's not too many sizes left, however.

mtbr member
    For temps below 20*F I've been happily using a pair of 'Mickey's' winter boots bought at a military surplus store several years ago for $30.... I see they are still very budget friendly: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...RoCsmYQAvD_BwE

On top of your feet NEVER getting cold on your rides [I've ridden down to -20*F] the all rubber construction sticks to flat pedals very similarly to my 5.10 Impacts.

Banned
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 1 Week Ago at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    The nice thing about those bunny boots is if you break through some ice and they get filled with water your feet won’t freeze. The lining is completely sealed away from moisture. I’ve got a couple pairs and use them when snowmachining in remote areas and when standing around or working in really cold temps. They are good to have in your rig when you go on a long road trip in sub zero temps in case you break down or get into an accident, run off the road, etc.
    Right on! Last winter we were having a group ride up one of the frozen creeks/rivers in our area and broke through some thin ice; which required me to put a foot down. Well, I was glad I had those completely waterproof boots to protect me from the 8" or so of ice cold water that would have made the ride back a lot less pleasant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    Right on! Last winter we were having a group ride up one of the frozen creeks/rivers in our area and broke through some thin ice; which required me to put a foot down. Well, I was glad I had those completely waterproof boots to protect me from the 8" or so of ice cold water that would have made the ride back a lot less pleasant.
    Uh....liquid water doesnt exist at -8 deg...

Ambassador of Chub
    Those boots are so warm they create a micro-climate around themselves.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I can confirm the Korker's wader soles are compatible with the winter boots. I picked up a pair of the Kling-On wader soles and the traction on my Chesters is awesome.

I love me some bunny boots, but I couldn't see riding in them. They are huge and have almost no support in the sole. I'd also be worried about the spikes on my pedals poking a hole in them, which renders all of their special qualities useless...once they get a hole and the insulation gets wet they will freeze your feet. This from years of experience wearing them in the military.

Banned
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 1 Week Ago at 10:03 PM.

Banned
    Jan 2015
    delete

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Mickey Mouse boots

Name:  54685_lrg.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  43.2 KB

Bought a pair of Mickey Mouse army surplus boots a couple years ago. Rate for 40 below zero.

Not going to lie they are very bulky and heavy but damn my feet are warm and that is saying a lot with my feet.

Ambassador of Chub
    I just picked up some felted wool insoles and stuck them in between the inner and outer boots of my Old Man Winters. It's like sticking my feet inside a yak that just ate a crock pot full of habañero chilis.

mtbr member
    Uhhh.... do you think every single creek, pond, river, lake or even a deep puddle freezes completely solid all the way to the bottom?
    No. But liquid fresh water at 1 atmosphere doesn't get below 32F or 0C. So everything below the ice is that temp or warmer.

Welcome to planet Earth.

Last edited by toadmeister; 12-08-2017 at 05:08 AM.

Ambassador of Chub
    Uhhh.... do you think every single creek, pond, river, lake or even a deep puddle freezes completely solid all the way to the bottom?
    Uhhh....do you think that flowing water underneath ice somehow magically transcends the freezing point?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Uhhh....do you think that flowing water underneath ice somehow magically transcends the freezing point?
    Edit, we're on the same page.

Banned
    Jan 2015
    delete

Elitest thrill junkie
    32 degrees is melting point of water, not the freezing point, freezing point is variable and depends on many things. What do you think clouds are?

Elitest thrill junkie

You need to travel to a cold region to experience just how much water doesn’t freeze. The water table, core of the mountains, lakes, all have water creating hydraulic pressure and it has to go somewhere, that somewhere is downstream. There is an impressive cycle of water overflow, ice collapse and melting, re-freezing, and so on.

FB&H rider
    This thread has now ascended to comedy status, but it was very helpful for me to look at my options, and my 20 mile ride to work was comfy in my Salomon winter boots in, around, and down slopes at or near the melting point of water!
    Goldilocks should have chosen the fatbike.

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Where did the -8 deg come from? Seahag just said something about 8" of ice cold water. He didn't specify a temperature.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Where did the -8 deg come from? Seahag just said something about 8" of ice cold water. He didn't specify a temperature.
    Your right, I made a mistake with the negative degree sign and this thread cascaded into folly. My apologies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronhextall View Post
    Name:  54685_lrg.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  43.2 KB

Bought a pair of Mickey Mouse army surplus boots a couple years ago. Rate for 40 below zero.

Not going to lie they are very bulky and heavy but damn my feet are warm and that is saying a lot with my feet.
    I am a clyde rider at 265# anyway; so the bulky nature is 'second nature' to me. :P

I'm not riding competitively; so their weight never outweighed their amazing thermal abilities. The soles have gotten some slight wear over the past three winters from the pins on my Specialized 'Bennies' pedals. But no more than the bottom of my 5.10's. At this rate my bunny boots should last at least another decade.

So if affordable and warm are your two highest priorities, I can highly recommend these boots...again.

Ambassador of Chub
    Uhhhh.... you two might want to do some reading before posting anymore ignorant horsesh!t. How have you never heard about running water not freezing at 32°F? You’ve appearently never heard of super cooled water?
    Oh, I've heard of "super-cooled water." It's just not at all relevant to this conversation.

But all that’s all besides the point because people can and do break through the ice into freezing ass cold water at temps well below freezing.
    No one is arguing that if you break through ice into the water underneath that the water is cold, chief.

Lighten up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got some Lake 303's from NASHBAR last year for about $180. They are set up SPD and work pretty well in Wisconsin. If I had to do it again, I would not listen to everybody that said size up or get wide. I 1/2 sized up but the boots stretched a bit and compressed a bit. Just an FYI.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    K9 this is exactly what I wanted to hear! Did you order the same size sole as your snow boot? I ask because the kling-on is designed for wading boots, and they're usually sized different than regular boots (my Simms wading boots are an 11, but probably a 13 regular shoe)

Thanks!!
    H.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I can confirm the Korker's wader soles are compatible with the winter boots. I picked up a pair of the Kling-On wader soles and the traction on my Chesters is awesome.

I love me some bunny boots, but I couldn't see riding in them. They are huge and have almost no support in the sole. I'd also be worried about the spikes on my pedals poking a hole in them, which renders all of their special qualities useless...once they get a hole and the insulation gets wet they will freeze your feet. This from years of experience wearing them in the military.

Banned
    Jan 2015
    delete
    Last edited by ak-rider; 1 Week Ago at 10:04 PM.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    When sarcasm is mistaken for snark, we end up with a prick waving contest, bfd...

Thank you to George Carlin for providing the term that best describes many posts on this forum!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It’s always funny to me how when somebody makes a smartass comment and it turns out they were wrong they then tell the other person to lighten up.
    Ak-rider just let it go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast