mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Will Maxxis FBF work tubeless if not TR?

Hello,
    Just a quick question. I just realized a bought a maxxis Minion 26x4 and it is not a tubeless ready tire.
    Will it still work to run it tubeless??
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I tried. Didn't spend much time but no luck. 4.8's

mtbr member
    There are 60 TPI, 120TPI, 120TPI EXO/TR versions listed on Maxxis site (link below). I have set regular Minion DHF as tubeless when they were not TR as have many but unfortunately it's not a guarantee. My Minion FBF 4.8 are EXO/TR and are on a Mulefut 80 so they went tubeless the first try.

Minion FBF | Maxxis Tires USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Okay, so itís worth a shot. They are 120 tpi. Just not exo/ tr. really hoping it works. Mul fut 80 is the rim.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post
    Okay, so itís worth a shot. They are 120 tpi. Just not exo/ tr. really hoping it works. Mul fut 80 is the rim.
    Post up your results. I purchased some that were listed as TR but no marking on the tire. 120tip 4.0 from BikeWagon. I assume they were not actually TR but I'd be able to make them work. They will also be on MF80 (next season). Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Post up your results. I purchased some that were listed as TR but no marking on the tire. 120tip 4.0 from BikeWagon. I assume they were not actually TR but I'd be able to make them work. They will also be on MF80 (next season). Good luck!
    Funny. Thatís the same one I bought!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I tried last night to set up the stock Maxxis Minion 4.8s that came on my Lurch FS. After plenty of swearing and wasted Stan's, zero luck in going to tubeless.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

passed out in your garden
    no luck ghetto tubeless on DTSwiss, 4.8, Stans seeped through sidewalls like crazy, dont know dpi sorry

next time Ill get TR version and try
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I believe mine are 60 tpi. They are the 4.8 that came stock on the -30 Rocky Mountain Blizzard on Mulefut rims. They set up tubeless very easy. I don't think they were TR specific.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Looking like a 50/50 shot. Going to give it a shot tonight. Not getting my hopes up. Pissed because it was advertised as tubeless ready. I already got some money back because the tire did not look brand new to me.

mtbr member
    After converting my Wozo to B-fat I've got a Minion FBF 4.8 120tp EXO/TR for sale ($50) in great shape (100 miles of dirt/snow on it) in case anyone is interested.

Fat Tires: Maxxis Minion FBF 4.8, Surly Edna 4.3 - MTBR Classifieds

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If it was 4.0 Iíd be all over it. I am also getting rid of my 4.8 front on wozo. Going 4.0 front and back for winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RideMN View Post

I ran a pair of the 4.8 FBF 120 tpi NON exo/tr tubeless on mulefuts last year. Set them up with a compressor and just regular sunringle tape on the rims. I had a little more trouble getting them to seat this fall when I put them back on. I couldn't get a bead to catch. I ended up using a strap around the tire to help squish it flat and the beads to catch and got them to seal up. I used soapy water to help lube the bead shelf so they would get fully in place and lock on. Once on they are tight and take some work to even break the bead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup.

The OP's tire will go up tubeless, even some wire beads will go tubeless, you just need to finesse it. Sometimes a strap is necessary...

The rim-tire interface needs to be tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I ran a pair of the 4.8 FBF 120 tpi NON exo/tr tubeless on mulefuts last year. Set them up with a compressor and just regular sunringle tape on the rims. I had a little more trouble getting them to seat this fall when I put them back on. I couldn't get a bead to catch. I ended up using a strap around the tire to help squish it flat and the beads to catch and got them to seal up. I used soapy water to help lube the bead shelf so they would get fully in place and lock on. Once on they are tight and take some work to even break the bead.

mtbr member
    27.5x3.8 FBF and FBR were setup tubeless without a problem.

Your bike sucks
    Quick follow-up: Running that 4.0 non-tubeless-ready FBF front... tubeless without a hitch for regular trail riding. Didn't change a thing - no extra tape or extra sealant, etc. Haven't tried at ultra-low pressures. Relatively, it's pretty light and gives the bike a sporty feel.