mtbr member

will a 100mm spindle crankset ran 1x fit a 190mm spaced frame?

Curious.. will a 100mm spaced crank in general fit on a 190mm spaced frame assuming that the frame has a 100mm BB? For example.. a moto nighttrain swapping out the cheap samox crank for something like an x9 GXP100 and ditching the spider for a direct mount single ring?
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member

Yes. I did this exact thing to my sturgis. Make sure you get the bottom bracket with the crank and get a bb30 direct mount ring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Depends. Sram X9 crank was too narrow to fit my 190mm RSD Mayor, but fits AOK on the wife's 2014 190mm 9Zero7. The width of the chainstays at the widest point is the limiting factor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ten80 View Post
    Depends. Sram X9 crank was too narrow to fit my 190mm RSD Mayor, but fits AOK on the wife's 2014 190mm 9Zero7. The width of the chainstays at the widest point is the limiting factor.
    Has anyone tried Sram X9 cranks on Surly ICT?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

I tried. They won't fit.

Fat & Single
    Yes, Next SL crank with 100mm spindle, flip the spiderless raceface ring and its fits no bother. There is about 3mm spare on each side, fine with a CF frame, might come close on a Ti with flex.
    Frame is a Chi carbon FM190 with 197mm rear bolt thru. This spacing fits a 4.8" tyre on 100mm rims.

All depends on what cranks you want to run and on what frame.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ten80 View Post
    Yep. The Moonlander won't take a 100mm spindle because of this.

My 190 El Gordo does no problem. I run an X9 with a BB30 direct mount. Works perfect with 1x10.

mtbr member

Re: will a 100mm spindle crankset ran 1x fit a 190mm spaced frame?

How easy/hard/time consuming is swapping the rings on the direct mount stuff?

If I want 34T today, 26T tomorrow, and back to 34T next day... No big deal or PITA?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Yes, Next SL crank with 100mm spindle, flip the spiderless raceface ring and its fits no bother. There is about 3mm spare on each side, fine with a CF frame, might come close on a Ti with flex.
    Frame is a Chi carbon FM190 with 197mm rear bolt thru. This spacing fits a 4.8" tyre on 100mm rims.

Holy cow Bill is that your new steed?

Edit: Oh and happy birthday a little late
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    How easy/hard/time consuming is swapping the rings on the direct mount stuff?

If I want 34T today, 26T tomorrow, and back to 34T next day... No big deal or PITA?
    It's straight forward but time consuming. The crank has to come off the bike to change it. Not sure all those connectors are designed for constant assembly/disassembly.

Are you running a 42T cog? I run a Wolftooth with a 10 speed cassette. I've found that gives me enough range to select a chainring that works just about all the time. If I happen to spin out I just putt along and enjoy the scenery. With my 28T chainring it does happen on occasion.

Fat & Single
    Thanks Bob, 42 and no wiser

Yes this is the new toy, tried to get a carbon f&f from a couple of big named brands... too hard. Didn't have them, couldn't get them, several month wait, no f&f only and big prices compared to the US retail price. I waited about 3-4 weeks on this and that was because I got it painted plus delivery from China.

Nice to be back on buds.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    It's straight forward but time consuming. The crank has to come off the bike to change it. Not sure all those connectors are designed for constant assembly/disassembly.

Are you running a 42T cog? I run a Wolftooth with a 10 speed cassette. I've found that gives me enough range to select a chainring that works just about all the time. If I happen to spin out I just putt along and enjoy the scenery. With my 28T chainring it does happen on occasion.
    Time consuming?
    Really?
    You remove 1 bolt. ONE frikkin bolt.
    Then remove the chain ring.
    Yup.....sooooooo time consuming.

Nuts
    It is really easy but when you install it put the removal/extraction bolt on the drive side. Then like the Mayor so eloquently stated just one bolt then the lock ring
    And I love beer!!

Fat & Single
    Its an easy swap, I use threadlocker on my spiderless rings but its pretty easily cleaned off too.

Hate creaks or ticks when Im riding... like to listen to nature not the expensive piece of crap I've just installed.

A word of warning that the Raceface BSA30 BB's for this crank have terrible bearings. I have one sitting here that started creaking from the day I fitted it, going to order enduro bearings for it.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ozzy, do you mind posting the link where the bearings can be ordered?

Fat & Single
    Cavo, here's the link, on the top of the page, click on [where to buy] and select your local dealer.

enduro

The bearings measure 30mm x 42mm x 7mm (ID x OD x W). Number is 6806RS.

Lots of different levels/grades to select from.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Yep. The Moonlander won't take a 100mm spindle because of this.
    There is no such thing as ”100mm spindle” and Moonlander has 100mm BB. There is two standards for different chainlines, depending on drivetrain offset, which is 17,5mm for 170mm rear end and 28mm for 190/197mm rear end. Also drivetrain can be offseted with standard 135mm hub to same 17,5mm (Pugsley) or same 28mm (Moonlander). You need to choose crankset designed for correct drivetrain offset (chainline).

On RaceFace Next SL crankset with shorter spindle you can flip single chainring for both chainlines. I use this shorter spindle Next SL version on Moonlander with “flipped” chainring and chainstays fit between cranks (just), even with crank “boots”. There is no room to spare, so you may need to use thin spacers to adjust chainstays to be in the middle between cranks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Time consuming?
    Really?
    You remove 1 bolt. ONE frikkin bolt.
    Then remove the chain ring.
    Yup.....sooooooo time consuming.
    You forgot cleaning everything, torque specs, etc. OP mentioned changing it often. Just seems like a PITA if the plan is to do it often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ealex View Post
    There is no such thing as ”100mm spindle” and Moonlander has 100mm BB. There is two standards for different chainlines, depending on drivetrain offset, which is 17,5mm for 170mm rear end and 28mm for 190/197mm rear end. Also drivetrain can be offseted with standard 135mm hub to same 17,5mm (Pugsley) or same 28mm (Moonlander). You need to choose crankset designed for correct drivetrain offset (chainline).

On RaceFace Next SL crankset with shorter spindle you can flip single chainring for both chainlines. I use this shorter spindle Next SL version on Moonlander with “flipped” chainring and chainstays fit between cranks (just), even with crank “boots”. There is no room to spare, so you may need to use thin spacers to adjust chainstays to be in the middle between cranks.
    Fair enough. I was speaking in Mr Whirly terms... the old MWOD crankset. IIRC they referenced a 100mm and a 121mm spindle. Either way, THAT crankset with the 170 spacing (shorter) spindle wouldn't fit my Moonlander.

Fat & Single
    There is no such thing as ”100mm spindle”
    There is two standards for different chainlines
    There ARE two standards maybe ?

If you are going to pull a bloke up on something, get your grammar right.

There is two standards for different chainlines, depending on drivetrain offset.... You need to choose crankset designed for correct drivetrain offset (chainline).
    Wrong, no matter what your chainline is, you are not going to fit the spindle for 100mm BB's to a frame with a 120mm BB shell.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Wrong, no matter what your chainline is, you are not going to fit the spindle for 100mm BB's to a frame with a 120mm BB shell.
    Of course, everything should fit between cranks, including chainstays and BB. Most cranksets, which will fit 120mm BB, have been designed for 100mm BB and originally have instructions for 100mm BB only. For example Raceface EXI:
    http://www.raceface.com/comp/pdf/FAT...CLEARANCES.pdf

Those just happened to have long enough spindle to fit 120mm BB without spacers.

PRETENDURO

Duuuude, that shˇt looks hot!!! Nice Chinese carbon fatbike!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.