mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Wide Tubeless Tape

I've got my fat bike set up tubeless with gorilla tape on rolling darryl rims. Front is drilled out and I used one layer of colored duct tape (face pointing out), 2 layers of packing tape, and a double wide (with about 3/4" of overlap) layer of gorilla tape to cover entire inside surface of the rim up over the bead shelf. Problem I'm having is slow leak of air and some sealant leakage after about 4 months of riding. Sealant is working its way through the overlap of Gorilla tape. This is exacerbated by the fact that the spoke nipples don't allow the tape to sit nice and flat and causes some wrinkling. If you are wondering, I didn't use foam and beaded the tire using the explosion method.

So to my question. What kind of tapes has anyone used that are 4" wide or wider so that I can cover the entire width of the rim with one layer. I see there is 90mm wide stans tape but haven't founda anywhere to buy it. It would also be helpful if the tape had a litle stretch to conform to the shape of the rim. Any suggestions?

A few items I found googling, anyone tried these?
    Amazon.com: Scotch® Book Tape 845, 4 Inches x 15 Yards: Office Products
    PVC-Vinyl Aisle Marking Tape 4" Wide
    89280 Fix-It DUCTape 3.77-inches x 60-yards, 7-Mil - Amazon.com
    Protecto Wrap BT25XL 4 in. x 50 ft. Window and Door Sealing Tape-D897204 at The Home Depot

Nuts
    You might be able to order Fat Stans from Fatback bikes aka Speedway up in AK. That's where mine came from.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    A few people are using this 8898 48MM - 3M - TAPE, SEALING, PP, BLUE, 1.9INX180FT | element14 (myself included) it's a lot lighter than gorilla tape. I wouldn't use this tape with the exploding method I had to pull a tire off recently due to leakage and the taping had sealant through all the layers a few spots had melted a bit and looked to be where it started to breakdown. I don't think you would have the same issue with gorilla tape but then if you build up the rim with foam you won't need to explode the tire to seat the bead.

As to the tape not sitting flat/spoke ends that's where the foam comes in, it makes it easier to tape up without wrinkles, also found when I did tape first I got wrinkles in my nylon rim strip at lower pressures (so vain I know)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah I have some of the 8898 tape and it worked horribley without foam. Too many wrinkles that let sealant through. I also had problems with it melting using the explosion method. Its hard to get it to blow up right the first time everytime.

Wrinkles are the main problem when you are using tape that isn't wide enough to cover the rim width entirely. I might try the 4" book tape. The other tapes I listed above have crazy adhesive and could be a major PITA to remove if I ever needed to.

get down!
    My UMAs are setup with the wide Stans tape and it is pure bliss. Did the ghetto tubeless via Bikemans method on my Rolling Darryl's and always has issues. Bead was always uneven too. Call Fatback. They may not sell it to non-UMAs users. I dunno. It's sort of hush-hush for whatever reason. Also it's $$$$
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Smash Mode: ON
    I have had good luck with the extra wide gorrilla tape. It is not wide enough to get both bead shelves in one pass, but it can cover all the holes in the rim when used right down the middle. Then you can do a partially overlapping pass (or two) over each bead shelf if needed with a strip ripped to aprox 1 1/2 inches wide. If you put enough tension on the tape while wrapping, and don't make the side strips too wide, you won't have any wrinkles even without using foam. I have found this very reliable when done right but unfortunately pretty heavy (~200g).
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member

Wide Tubeless Tape

Speedway UMA tape rules. Wide Tubeless Tape-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375829193.047780.jpg
    Wide Tubeless Tape-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375829223.809924.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    Speedway UMA tape rules.
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking it does.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I use the Speedway stuff on my Uma's, yep, it's the good stuff....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Laramie, Wyoming
    Gorilla tape can be purchased 4" wide, and some foam might be needed.

addicted to chunk
    I do a left and right overlapping pass with gorilla tape, then a final down the center. No issues at all.
    Riding.....

Dr Gadget is IN
    I've got the Gorilla Tape:Tough and Wide - but it's only 2.88" wide. For my 100mm rims, it's one wrap of regular 1.88", then a second of 2.88". I'm not tubeless as yet, so I can't talk to sealant leakage issues, but I can say that it's a wrinkle free surface. I focus on getting the edge into the bead area properly, pulling hard as I go, then smoothing it down into the valley. I've done this on both USC double wall 100's and Clown Shoes with red ribbon over the holes.

I used to have to do 2 passes of 1.88" - and then still have to do a 1" strip down the middle!
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Anyone thought of or tried using Duct work tape that has the Aluminum backing. This style of tape is used so air doesn't leak in HVAC system and is resilient to chemicals and temperature changes. More expensive but i was thinking of trying it out. I'm on a Krampus with the Rabbit Hole rims.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Replying to an old thread, but....

I orginally did my tubeless conversion using Gorilla tape on 80mm Rolling Darryls. I used the std width tape (1.5") and did three passes. The first two oiverlapped about 1/2" and then a third wrap down the center to cover the overlap. I didn't use a rim strip or any foam.

I didn't have any real problems with this setup, but I would usually have to add a bit of air before a ride.

I pulled this apart to drill the rims. What I did notice was that the 1st layer of Gorilla tape was see-through around the nipples. The tape had stretched a bit which opened up the backing and was probably what was allowing some air to escape. The third layer over the center was what made this setup work.

I drilled the rim and used inverted printed duct tape for the rim strip, with two wraps of Gorilla tape, overlapping about 1/2". This setup was a bit of a failure. The first attempt had sealent leaking all the time. I re-did it, making sure that the tape had bonded better and that all seams we over rim (not the holes). The primary area of failure was at tape seams. It survived rides, but was always flat after a day or two. By the fourth ride or so, I had to stop and pump every 20 minutes.

I pulled the wheel apart and added a third layer of Gorilla tape to seal the overlap, and then I used Rustoleum leak sealant (spray rubber) over top of that. I masked the bead lock area first - the idea was to cover the tape seams. That setup is working pretty good right now.

Rob

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Speedway confirmed yesterday that they are all out!

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You might be able to order Fat Stans from Fatback bikes aka Speedway up in AK. That's where mine came from.

The Dog.
    I am most curious about the new clear gorilla tape. In playing with some at the store, I have to say I am impressed. Much thinner than gorilla, just as sticky, and near impossible make wrinkle (moreso than even real stan's tape).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Interested in clear Gorilla feedback. It would be nice if it was extra wide.