Thread: Wide bars

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Wide bars

My buddies recently put some wide (780-800mm) DH bars on their fatties. They keep telling me I'll be converting someday...

They're probably right...

I'm sure some of you guys have tried or have them, what do you think? How did the cockpit change, did you have to shorten the stem? I do ride some singletrack here in the Mid West on the fatty, but mostly shorelines, snow, etc. I can see the good- more leverage- and the bad- clearance in trees- but just wanted to see what other advantages/disadvantages y'all have had with the wider bars on the fatty before I try them out.

Cheers.

ouch....
    Personal preference....
    I have 660mm on mine & they are perfect for me. Fits through the trees & little extra leverage compared to the old skinny bars.

I rented a bike couple weeks ago in BC that had huge wide bars & super short stem....did not like it at all.

I suggest you try with a cheap bar or borrow one if you can to see if you like it first.
    Riding.....

NMBP
    I had the stock 660's on my Moonlander, they were always a little narrow for me. I put 810's on it and after seeing how wide they were I thought I would trim them down a little. Didn't happen, I'm loving the 810's. I changed stems, but it was because of bar diameter, I went with a spare stem that I had.

I ride single track 67.45% of the time. The only time bar width is a problem is on a few slick rock trails where there's rocks in the way. I also have problems with the BB being too wide.

Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    I love my wide bars although I did cut my 780s down to 765 for better tree clearance.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I use full width Salsa Whammy's on my Fatback for sand/snow... makes it feel like a lighter bike. Longer lever=more leverage and I believe more control over these beastly bikes. Tight in the trees though for sure. I have Whammy's on my other fatty that I do ride in the forest... I cut those down a couple inch's. Still, they're a bit wide for tight single track... as illustrated here (I'm riding my custom fatty w/ a Mav & Whammy's... caught a tree on the left side)...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run 680's and I wouldn't go any skinnier. Probably wouldn't go much wider, either. Like em just the way they are.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Perpetual n00b
    Surly's web site has this in one part of the page:

Handlebar Salsa ProMoto 2, 31.8 clamp diameter. Width 700mm XS-M, 750mm L-XXL

And this at the bottom of the page:

Frame Size Stem Length Stem Angle Handlebar Width
    Medium 100.0 7.0 660.0

So which one is it? I know my Mukluk had a 710mm handlebar with a 100mm stem. Tons of leverage. But more leverage yields slower steering. It also means you have to move the bar more to turn the same circle as a shorter bar. You have to get your whole upper body into turning the bars.

Assuming it's a 660mm bar on a 100mm stem (430mm effective lever length) and you are comfortable with that amount of leverage and turning speed, then a 750mm bar on a 55mm stem (also 430mm effective lever length) would have the same leverage and turning speed, but you'll be engaging different muscle groups and have your arms out more in the push-up position.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Dgw2jr, could you please explain your effective lever length figure...first time I have seen it used.

Thanks.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Dgw2jr, could you please explain your effective lever length figure...first time I have seen it used.

Thanks.
    It was originally brought up by All Mountain in a very old thread.

I started a new thread to discuss it here:
    Analysis: Handlebar and stem length
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Surly's web site has this in one part of the page:

Handlebar Salsa ProMoto 2, 31.8 clamp diameter. Width 700mm XS-M, 750mm L-XXL

And this at the bottom of the page:

Frame Size Stem Length Stem Angle Handlebar Width
    Medium 100.0 7.0 660.0

So which one is it?
    The bottom figures are correct for the 2012 and 2013 Moonlanders, the 700mm & 31.8 diameter is probably correct for the 2014 Moonlander.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    A lot of my bikes were around 590, but after reading DavidJohn's posts on this subject I tried out a few bars, shortened the stems and the lengths are around 685/690. I cut down a bar that was over 720. Yes, you will need to shorten the stem if you are making a big change as the hand on the outside of the turn will really be reaching out if you don't. I don't know of any formulas to figure that out, I went trial and error from going long then coming back.

Seems I climb better, a bit more comfortable. On a few trails though, I have to really watch the clearance I no longer have. But there's not that many to worry about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    It was originally brought up by All Mountain in a very old thread.

I started a new thread to discuss it here:
    Analysis: Handlebar and stem length
    Thank You.

Very simple to figure. Something to play with...right up my ally. Have always wondered if there existed any guide for picking stem length for a wider bar. Your method is better than a stab in the dark, or following someone else blindly. Your method gives a point of reference to be agreed or disagreed with, fair enough.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I like a wider bar, but it took some time for me to get used to. I started out with a purple pugs and a bar that's silly narrow by today's standards - something like 500mm (I was coming off of a track bike). Over time I've gone to a 660mm bar, now up to a 720mm bar, and I do like it. A wider bar does make the bike settle down a bit when things get rough or in shifting sand or snow, but so will a longer stem.

Ride what you like; it all works fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ordered my Fatty with 810mm bars, as I thought I can always shorten them.
    El guapo bars has a little ackward angle(lack of) on them and I didn' like the full lenght.
    I have now cut them to 760mm and now I'm starting to feel comfortable. Might get a couple cm off still when winter comes and tree branches are hanging low and wide.

I use 710-720mm-ish with my common montainbikes.

mtbr member
    I've been moving the same set of 800mm DH bars around on several bikes, including my moonlander. I recently put them on my newest MTB build, so there's 720mm bars on my ML now (partly for "summer mode" road riding).

I don't think I'll ever go shorter than 720mm. Anything less makes me feel like I'm trapped in an elevator packed to capacity, whatever that implies.

800mm bars
    Wide bars-dsc06321.jpg
    720mm bars
    Wide bars-2013-05-21-13.jpg

Pick a wheel size...
    Raul... as a person with what I would describe as wide(er) upper torso, you could stand to feel a difference on your fattie when we're stompin through chunk - I notice I can control rock deflections easier and make corrections quicker with wide(er) bars.

Currently, I'm setup on my fattie with 711mm bar and 70mm stem. Contemplating going wider/shorter (Lenz is 777x55).

If'n yer wantin' to give wider/shorter a try, the 777x55 combo could be slapped on your bike for a ride or three so you can get a feel - it's just sitting in my shop waiting for it's new frame. ;-)

And...if you like the feel, the 777s will be for sale.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    'Sup FORCers? I put a set of DH bars on my pugsley and like them. They're Ritchey Pro risers with a 30 mm rise, mated to a 110mm, 17 stem they're about 700 mm wide with ergon grips making them about 730mm. occasionally, I'll hit the bars going through trees, but generally I don't having any issues and the trails out here are quite a bit more technical that what you have in the midwest. Do it, you won't regret it.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Elitest thrill junkie
    God yes. ONE thing that actually helps you to deal with the massive acceleration issues of fat-bikes is wide bars, because you can really get some weight and leverage behind your pedal movements. 780mm carbon bars seem just right for me. (5' 10.75")
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I run 777mm's on three of my bikes and a 720mm on my XC race bike. I like 'em wide!
    The LPG

dvn
    mtbr member
    I run 720's on all my bikes. Coming from a MX background, anything else just feels way too narrow.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle