mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Why not shrader?

On new years day we took my wife's co-worker on her first fat bike ride. This put my wife on her 29'er. It hadn't been ridden for a few months and the stans had dried up. When I tried to air the tire up I bent the top of the presta valve then broke it off trying to straighten it. All my fault. We were able to put in a tube and continue, but it got me thinking. This wouldn't have happened with a shrader valve. My thought is that a shrader valve stem fully threaded down to the rim would be ideal for a fat bike run tubeless. The core is easily removeable and because it has a spring to close it, will not leak air.The stem diameter is larger making it easier to fill with sealant. The stem of the valve is more supportive and will not be damaged by a mishandled pump. The knock on shrader valves has been the extra pumping pressure required to overcome the spring in the core. That should not be a problem at the low pressures we run in our tires. Probably not even in our tubeless mtn bike tires. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I know all the reasons that presta is supposed to be better but ... I don't believe any of them except for narrow road rims where there just isn't room for the fatty schrader stem. Give us our schrader!!

mtbr member
    All you have to do is buy a tube with schrader valve and swap tubes , if hole is not big enough drill it, file off any sharp edges. Done , I know i have broken the presta too.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

NMBP
    You can buy presta valves with removable cores. You can also partially inflate a presta using only your mouth. I am also able to let air out of my prestas while I'm wearing gloves. I prefer prestas.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Im gonna try "skinny" tubes just for the shraeder. nothing like filling a fatty w/ a hand pump and unscrewing the valve stem while removing the pump. FFFFFFOOO

mtbr member

Re: Why not shrader?

I went to shrader, and have no regrets. I have also broken the tip off a presta before, and had them unthread in the pump. A threaded shrader just makes more sense for tubeless fatty. More air volume. Easier sealant injection. No adapter required for air compressor. Plus mine is a blinged out chrome version. Weighs a ton, but soooo worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My vote for Schrader as well. My expensive low PSI air gauge for ATV tires works like crap with an adapter and my bike ones are not accurate at low PSI. Bike shop has a digital one for $32 that is incapable of reading the same air pressure twice on the same tire, high low all over the place. Does anyone make a cheap low pressure Presta gauge that works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you knacker a presta valve buy a replacement schraeder valve from your local atv / quad bike dealer, cut the broken presta valve out of the tube and glue the new schraeder valve on using standard vulcanising glue. Not worth it for normal tubes but for £10 / $15 fat bike tubes its vfm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Meiser and Schwalbe make very good presta gauges for low pressure, the Schwalbe does Schrader as well. Schwalbe is the same price as the digital you mention but the Meiser is half the price. I have both, the Schwalbe I have had for close to ten years and the Meiser about a year. They read almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetiski View Post
    My vote for Schrader as well. My expensive low PSI air gauge for ATV tires works like crap with an adapter and my bike ones are not accurate at low PSI. Bike shop has a digital one for $32 that is incapable of reading the same air pressure twice on the same tire, high low all over the place. Does anyone make a cheap low pressure Presta gauge that works.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by HT5rider View Post
    If you knacker a presta valve buy a replacement schraeder valve from your local atv / quad bike dealer, cut the broken presta valve out of the tube and glue the new schraeder valve on using standard vulcanising glue. Not worth it for normal tubes but for £10 / $15 fat bike tubes its vfm.
    With a removable presta core, you can replace it just like you would a schrader core.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    All my 3 fatbikes and 29+ wheelset are Schrader valve tubes

26x2.7 DH tubes on 4" Pugsleys

21x3.00 Michelin Desert (Front) Motorcycle tubes in my Moonlander

29x 2.5 Tubes in my KramPus 29+ wheels
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Dr Gadget is IN
    I prefer schraeder valves. Easier to check pressure with a gage, compatible with compressed air.

Currently running 21x3.50 Kenda motorcycle tubes - they have a full threaded valve stem, and similar weight to Surly tubes,

Going to tubeless, I have 949 Racing anodized aluminum valves. Nice, light and schraeder. Black, grey and silver. Also fully threaded. I recall you need to trim the sleeve nut, and put in a fatter O-ring for best performance.

The only reason to stick with Presta valves is because you like them. And I don't think the OP does.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    How many of you have went to let some air out of your tire with presta valves wearing gloves and when you loosened the valve the whole core came out instead? Or maybe I'm the only airhead that forgets to tighten them in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks that Meiser one looks great and it is analog. The one we tested was just like the Schwalbe digital and was off by never giving the same reading on same tire with wild fluctuations where analog was repeatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Meiser and Schwalbe make very good presta gauges for low pressure, the Schwalbe does Schrader as well. Schwalbe is the same price as the digital you mention but the Meiser is half the price. I have both, the Schwalbe I have had for close to ten years and the Meiser about a year. They read almost identical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetiski View Post
    Tire Gauge at Tree Fort Bikes

I have the version that goes to 30psi, but still very accurate. I tested 2 different Accu gauges and they both gave the same PSI reading

Loser
    I have an older version of this gauge, it works great for both presta and schrader. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems to be relatively very accurate down to 5 psi (the lowest I have measured) - I get the same reading if I check the same tire three times in a row. I can let a little air out and see the pressure drop by .5 PSI.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Feelings about their bikes aside, fat schrader tubes are available here.

https://fatbeachbikes.com/TommiSea_S...r-valve-detail

Elitest thrill junkie
    Went to hook up my pump and put air in my tire a few days ago (presta) and the valve-stem broke (the inner portion). Now there is no way to put any more air in and I have to get a new tube, despite there currently being air in there, as it could give out at any time. Guess Presta isn't made for the frequent pressure-adjustment of fat tires
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mighty sailin' man
    does anyone make a shrader tube with a threaded valve stem? I bought a set of my favorite tubes in shrader once and had problems with the stem getting bent over all the time from the low pressures

it is much easier to drop pressure with presta
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

dumb ass
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    depends. a twig/stick and w/ schrader you are in business...
    Baby seal walks into a club.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    does anyone make a shrader tube with a threaded valve stem? I bought a set of my favorite tubes in shrader once and had problems with the stem getting bent over all the time from the low pressures

Exactly my problem. When using a tube the Schrader gets pushed into the rim at low PSI or when flat. There are bolt in Schrader valves, but not on bike tubes. I agree that Schrader style is better technology for all but the narrow light rims. But the industry needs a threaded locking collar and threads for tubes. I guess it is a good reason to go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    Exactly my problem. When using a tube the Schrader gets pushed into the rim at low PSI or when flat. There are bolt in Schrader valves, but not on bike tubes. I agree that Schrader style is better technology for all but the narrow light rims. But the industry needs a threaded locking collar and threads for tubes. I guess it is a good reason to go tubeless.
    Schwalbe makes Schrader tubes that are fully threaded and should eliminate the push in. Or even a sliced valve leak which can happen. I've not used them. Never seen them at LBS. But they can be found on Amazon.

I know that's why they are recommended for ghetto tubeless.

Bicycle Tubes | Schwalbe North America

Dr Gadget is IN

21" motorcycle tubes have threaded stems. 21" size is bead seat diameter - 26" bicycle is 559mm bead seat diameter, or 22". Fits Fatties Fine.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    This is how I adapted my Milton inflator to work on both Schrader and presta. Not pretty, but it works.

Why not shrader?-milton_inflator_1.jpg

All of my bikes have Presta valves, but the Cars and yard tools have Schrader. I fill them all with the compressor.

Even though it is not necessary, I use the NoTubes Core Remover Tool to make sure the valve cores are nice and tight. I have never had one come loose with my fingers after doing that.

I personally can recall many flat tires in my younger years that were caused by a tear at the base of a Schrader valve stem. I have never had that problem with a Presta. These threaded Schrader stems that have been mentioned would likely solve that problem.

Instant presta to schrader