mtbr member

why is mh origin 8 crawler so damn heavy?

So I just gt my crawler I've taken a four year hiatus from mountain biking and what used to be the only option the pugsly has now gone crazy..so I picked up a used origin 8 crawler and the this is like 43 lbs..how can I make it lighter? The frame is aluminum so u think it would be lighter than a steel frame like the mukuluk and I know the nuvinci hub is a bit heavier than a regular drive try n but seriously??? 42 lbs? Is it the frame? The wheel set? The tires? The hub? I need to get thus thing down to at least 35 or I can't even bunny hop this tank..I live in the Rockies do I just need to sell it and start over or do you guys have any solutions to slim this big e smalls down?

All fat, all the time.
    Tubes and tires most likely easiest way to loose a few pounds...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tubes, rims (solid, no holes?), hubs, pedals, seatpost, saddle, handlebar, BB/axle, these are usually where the weight is on a bike, where you'll make serious dents by upgrading.

But it'll cost you.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I've checked out drilling the wheel set but between the two wheels it only saves about a pound. I'm just wondering if the frame is more of a problem or if I switch out the tires rims and components how light I can GEF it? Does anyone have a crawler that they have gotten down to 35 pounds or am I just up in the night? Thanks guys I really appreciate your advice

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can you post a picture or three.

urmb ]-
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: why is mh origin 8 crawler so damn heavy?

That Nuvinci hub is like the heaviest IGH out there. The bike wasn't designed with light weight in mind. It was spec'd with heavy components. Frame weight is way down on the list as far as what makes a difference.

Bunny hopping a heavy bike with an internal gear hub is a tall order. What were you expecting? Its called the "Crawler" after all.

bigger than you.
    ^^^ This. The Nuvinci is the main culprit for all the weight. The rest of the components, excepting the tires and rims are actually somewhat light. By drilling out the rims, going tubeless and switching to lighter tires, you'll be able to shed quite a bit of weight and improve your handling considerably. The tires that come stock on that bike weigh almost 2,000 grams, where a lighter tire will weigh under 1300g. similarly, tubeless will save you 500 grams and drilling the rims will net around 300g so that's nearly 5 pounds that you can shed relatively easily. A lighter crank, such as a RaceFace Turbine, will allow you to shed an additional 200-300 grams. But, since the hub weighs 5.5 pounds, you're still stuck with a lot there. Going single speed will allow you to ditch at least 5 pounds; unfortunately, since the frame is non-offset and specs a 135mm rear hub, there's no way to both add additional gears and shed massive amounts of weight.

if you were willing to go SS, it's conceivable that you could get that bike down to 30 pounds and the 28 pound range is doable with generous application of carbon fiber. Hoever, if you want a lighter bike, my recommendation is to buy a lighter bike...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Light, cheap, strong, pick two.

-Keith Bontrager

You bought one of the cheapest offerings out there. Yeah, it's gonna be a tank.

As others have said, wheels, tires, post, stem, bars, heck even the brakes, all those things are chosen for cost reasons, weight be damned.

Drilling rims might lose a lb, that's a good start. Going tubeless with shave ~300 grams per wheel, another chunk.

None will be a a single action/purchase 5 lb weight loss, sorry, just won't happen. You'll need to nickel and dime the weight off, and likely spend more than if you'd just bought a better bike in the first place.

No right answer here unfortunately, just gotta do what works for you, but the wheel/tire/tube weight would be my first point of attack as it will make a difference immediately in how the bike feels and rides.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    As others have said, wheels, tires, post, stem, bars, heck even the brakes
    Care to explain? I've found on average that they don't vary all that much and the cheap brakes are often even lighter than the more expensive ones (like my XTs, which while nice, are fairly heavy, heavier than the cheap avlid elixirs and formula brakes I have).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Well, for example, relative to more expensive offerings, Avid BB7's are boat anchors. Great brakes on the cheap, but anchors....

I'm lazy, didn't look up the specs for the bike, but assumed they weren't coming with anything too terribly awesome, and thus, likely, heavy as dark matter, just like all the other OEM stuff that we both listed.

Hardware, less carved out rotors, overbuilt calipers, all add up to extra grams that can thus be shaved....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

turtles make me hot
    When building hot rods and race cars, it's easier to take a pound from 100 places than to take 100 pounds from one place.
    Same as bicycles. You won't remove one giant chunk really, but lighten up every part...
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    fyi....

Any Origin-8 Crawler Updates?

guessing the weight is in the rear wheel, tires and that fork looks heavy as well. I have read the rear wheel is 5 lbs with out a tire.....not sure how that compaires to a low end wheel, cogstack and derailer....

If it were me...start with some tires....go tubeless if you can, then just pick away at the heavy boltons.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Origin-8 Devit-8-er tires are 3.85 pounds each.

NuVinci N360 hub only weighs 5.4 pounds.

+ everything else on it. It's a fat bike with unusually heavy stuff on it.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice guys quick question what would be the lightest fat tire that I could replace the devas8ers with that go tubeless? I ride it on dirt not snow so I think I'll drill the rims go tubeless and replace the tires see how that does..once again appreciate your expertness

turtles make me hot
    HuskerDu
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I sold my Crawler because of the weight and other factors with the range of the hub. You wan't to get this bike set up to ride even remotely steep trails in CO, then you're in for a long and unhappy fight. I loved my Crawler for townie stuff and winter commuting, but no amount of tinkering would have made it trail worthy in my opinion (for my trails, anyway). I drilled the wheels, lost the rim strip and went ultralight tubes, and it made a noticeable difference in ride quality. Hated the Devist8er's, thought the NuVinci was really cool, and was surprised by the quality of the entire Origin8 componentry. The hub is a pig. Whatever benefits you get from having a CVT are far outweighed by the limitations in range and inherent inefficiencies at limits of the range (high/low end). Again, a very cool hub for roads and paths, not so much for trails (or my definition thereof).

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    I sold my Crawler because of the weight and other factors with the range of the hub. You wan't to get this bike set up to ride even remotely steep trails in CO, then you're in for a long and unhappy fight. I loved my Crawler for townie stuff and winter commuting, but no amount of tinkering would have made it trail worthy in my opinion (for my trails, anyway). I drilled the wheels, lost the rim strip and went ultralight tubes, and it made a noticeable difference in ride quality. Hated the Devist8er's, thought the NuVinci was really cool, and was surprised by the quality of the entire Origin8 componentry. The hub is a pig. Whatever benefits you get from having a CVT are far outweighed by the limitations in range and inherent inefficiencies at limits of the range (high/low end). Again, a very cool hub for roads and paths, not so much for trails (or my definition thereof).
    Agreed - I liked the NuVinci's shifting action, but the granny gear was a little mushy and not low enough, and I could easily spin out the top gear and I'm NOT the kinda guy with pumpkin sized quads.

If they could drop two pounds, fix the low gear squish, and post some f*cking efficiency numbers what is it with all gear hub manufacturers ARRRGGGHHH - anyway if they could tidy those bits up I'd be on board for buying such a thing.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Hated the Devist8er's, thought the NuVinci was really cool, and was surprised by the quality of the entire Origin8 componentry.
    I actually liked the Devist8tor tread, but the weight was a huge turnoff for me. I was also very surprised by the quality of the Origin8 components; while they weren't on the level or Ritchey WCS Carbon, the components were reasonably light and well considered, from the grips, bar and stem, to the seat and post. Comparably, the components i just mentioned, were the 1st things i replaced on my pugsley; had I kept the Crawler I rode from Oct-Jan, I would not have bothered replacing them, although I might have cut the bar down 60-80mm.

but yeah, the bike was not adequate for hills, although it was very enjoyable as a commuter and on flatter trails and paths.