Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ouch....

Why is everyone so grumpy lately?

Everybody and their dog seems to be in a crappy mood lately. What's up with that??

We have lots of frames, tires, rims, steel, aluminum, carbon, front & rear suspension stuff coming out. Crazy expensive toys, and cheap stuff, and everything in between. Tons of options for everyone.

Is it because fatties are popular now, so they're not cool like 10 years ago when nobody knew what they were except for a handful of people that only rode them in the snow?

I think it's pretty damn cool that there are so many choices.

Are they fast? yup
    are they slow? yup
    do they shred singletrack? yup
    are they slower than *insert skinny tires bike here*? yup
    are they heavy? yup
    are they light? yup
    are they better on the beach? yup
    are they fun? YUP (I think a lot of you grumps are forgetting this fact)
    should fatties stay rigid because you don't need squish with the big tires? yup
    are they awesome with suspension fork? yup
    do people need to lighten up & stop being jerks on the forum? yup
    Do we need a reminder that we are grown adults riding bicycles for fun? Yup.....

Riding.....

mtbr member
    Yup!!!!
    The older I get the better I was...

ouch....
    How can you be grumpy when fat bikes take you places like this?
    Why is everyone so grumpy lately?-img_20130907_154640_254.jpg
    Riding.....

Nuts

Personally I'm excited!!

And crabby at the same time, what's everyone else's excuse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is everyone so grumpy lately?-17736_696863607005828_1638970347_n.jpg  

And I love beer!!

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You have a valid excuse! I'd rep you but I have to spread it around more before I'm allowed again Get better!!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So the story behind that hardware is? Surely they are titanium.
    "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way."
    Dr. Seuss

mtbr member
    It's winter and does not snow here.

Today's Highlight: It rained all day, I forgot my waterproofs and have had soggy undies since before lunch #wantanofficejob

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    So the story behind that hardware is? Surely they are titanium.
    Si joint fusion from a bad fall, I have been off a bike for about 8 months and not sure if I will ever ride yet walk good again and why yes they are $135,000 TI screws

p.s. Thanks Shark

Can't wait to get me some fatback carbon rims and Sterling tires.
    And I love beer!!

ouch....
    Here's to you getting better! Glad you went lightweight with the Ti hardware

Why is everyone so grumpy lately?-dscn1817.jpg
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Need more Bikes Direct Fatbikes to be in stock.
    ?
    ... !!!!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Laramie, Wyoming
    For me, I either need snow or sun. Either one will work but this 500 year rain event is a little old already.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I saw hint's here and there but did not realize it had been 8 months, I have been wanting to ask. Thanks for sharing. Had an obstacle myself but looks like I made it through okay. I have had to learn the phrase "the new normal" I think with your passion and enthusiasm you will walk and ride again.

Best wishes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bdundee, it looks like you went both ways on that rear end- 170 and 190 Wishing you a speedy recovery!

mtbr member

Re: Why is everyone so grumpy lately?

I think everyone else is grumpy cause their resale values are droppin like a rock. So much shiny new fat on the market that nobody will want the old.

Or they're just mad at the world.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Everybody and their dog seems to be in a crappy mood lately. What's up with that?? ...
    Dunno, it seems to have happened with the introduction of the fatbikes designed with "trail geometry" and now that all the old fatbikes are unrideable crap, the old hands are cranky.

Oh, and the influx from the trendier forums of chaps who wear their sister's jeans and who have tantrums when their internet acquired expertise is contradicted by real life experts such as mikesee.

I base that latter observation on this PM I got, containing such gems as ...I'd blow you away on or off the bike in real life. You're pathetic. Go slap yourself with a dead trout...

To be fair if I had to cram myself into my sister's jeans, I'd be tetchy too.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Some people just aren't happy unless they are pissing everyone else off.

mtbr member
    I'm grumpy because the world is over populated and everything is going downhill fast. There are no longer the type of opportunities in the world their used to be and everything is so competitive that margins are almost non-existent. Growth of the type our fathers and grandfathers relied on is no longer sustainable. I have at least had a good start in life, but what about the current generation that are looking for their first job. The world has gone to seed.

That is why I am grumpy, but I do try to look on the bright side of life....."Always look on the bright side of life..de dah, de dah de dah de dah...."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was a member of a skiing forum for the past 12 years. Lately many folks starting acting like an ass-hat and the forum is no more. There is a lesson to be learned.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Dunno, it seems to have happened with the introduction of the fatbikes designed with "trail geometry" and now that all the old fatbikes are unrideable crap, the old hands are cranky.

Oh, and the influx from the trendier forums of chaps who wear their sister's jeans and who have tantrums when their internet acquired expertise is contradicted by real life experts such as mikesee.

I base that latter observation on this PM I got, containing such gems as ...I'd blow you away on or off the bike in real life. You're pathetic. Go slap yourself with a dead trout...

To be fair if I had to cram myself into my sister's jeans, I'd be tetchy too.
    I was just that thinking I hadn't seen Velo around these parts and I pretty much knew why. Sorry it turned into this and I'm probably as guilty as the next. I also tried to stay away but out of boredom and all the new shiny stuff coming out I just couldn't do it. I still remember the days the threads of yesteryear the ones of builder fenders, widening cranks, hubs, drilling holes. for that matter everything had to get wider. It was where part of my love for Fat bikes came from, tinkering and seeing everyone's own take on what their fatty should be. Now everything is made for us, more than we could've ever dreamed of. I still remember your red fender build and how some newbie didn't like the color and you reamed him a new one, still makes me smile. Anyoo rambling on and please stick around I still very much enjoy your post.

Oh and thanks everyone for the wishes....bOb
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Some people just aren't happy unless they are pissing everyone else off.
    Sad but true.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It's all the damn new kids, thinking that the water was at last warm enough for them to jump in, since FINALLY, a brand made a fatbike, that also makes bikes that were ridden in the Tour De France....

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bemoaning our amazing good fortune (regardless if its fatbikes or cost of chai lattes) = First world problems.

i'm begrudgingly doing our first local cross race tonight (still deliberating on my tcx or my 9zero7 w the fork of many names and nates) and its going to be drizzling and +9c. poor me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am grumpy cuz I don't get enough sleep, and I have a 2 year old at home and a 25 week prego wife with Doctors orders to take it real easy. I come to this forum to enjoy reading, but the fat bike area is once again clouded up by noobs (brought in by the flurry of new fatbike activity) making threads about sh!t that has already been answered.

=========
    You cannot change other people's behavior. However, our own behavior is totally within our own grasp. Instead of arguing on the internet, why not direct that energy into planning the most incredible regional Global Fat-Bike Day celebration, or focus on physical therapy to recover from your injuries or doing something meaningful for your loved ones. Blaming others will only further polarize new fat-bikers from the early adopters and create more conflict. If you truly seek a kinder fat-bike forum, the first step is to be kind. Treat new members as you wish to be treated and just try to remember to be nice, when ever possible.

~gomez~ (the fat-bike buddha)
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ...but the fat bike area is once again clouded up by noobs (brought in by the flurry of new fatbike activity) making threads about sh!t that has already been answered.
    I don't see that as a problem, fair enough for academic and technical fora, but I view a social forum like a conversation.

Just because something has already been asked or said doesn't mean it can't be asked or said again, plus there will be cromulent new contributions and dissent which will embiggen the topic.

I was just that thinking I hadn't seen Velo around these parts and I pretty much knew why. Sorry it turned into this and I'm probably as guilty as the next. I also tried to stay away but out of boredom and all the new shiny stuff coming out I just couldn't do it. I still remember the days the threads of yesteryear the ones of builder fenders, widening cranks, hubs, drilling holes. for that matter everything had to get wider. It was where part of my love for Fat bikes came from, tinkering and seeing everyone's own take on what their fatty should be. Now everything is made for us, more than we could've ever dreamed of. I still remember your red fender build and how some newbie didn't like the color and you reamed him a new one, still makes me smile. Anyoo rambling on and please stick around I still very much enjoy your post.

Oh and thanks everyone for the wishes....bOb
    Hey, we've been missing you too, but we're not going to speak to you because you got old style Ti screws instead of carbon fibre. (Get well soon)

Any reaming I do is done politely and with kind intentions.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast