mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Who is producing 100mm rims for Mongoose?

Sorry for yet another separate post about this bike (or rather the bike's rims), but I tried asking elsewhere on another thread and a legitimate question simply got lost in the morass of insults being hurled around.

Anyways there aren't many 100mm rims produced.

The 100mm Flattop is no longer made. The Beast's rims look similar, but not an exact copy of the Flattop rims. Who actually manufactured the Flattops for Chain Reaction?

Weinmann DHL rims are inexpensive but weigh 1600 grams (each) and are double walled. The Beast rims are single wall, so hopefully lighter, and since they are single walled they are better suited to be drililled. The rims on the Beast are 36 holes so that limits it to a very few 170mm hubs (Hadley makes some), but lots of 36h 135mm hubs are available to be used in an offset wheel build in a Surly or 907 frame.

Clownshoes are nice rims but a single rim costs more than a Mongoose Beast.

The Uma 90's are not quite as wide and again a single rim costs more than the Beast.

Went on a group ride yesterday, three days after a heavy snow, and I think we all wished we had the fattest rims available. Actually even 100mm rims with Bud and Lou weren't enough, but they were better than any other option and some of us would like a second wheelset for such conditions.

I don't really intend to buy a Beast, pay for all of it, and throw away 90 percent of it, so I 'd like to track down the source.

It is funny, until the Flattop and Clownshoe there was only a 1600 gram 100mm rim available for those that wanted to go ultra-fat. Walmart may not have produced much that is desired by those that can afford an alternative to the Beast, but they may be responsible for the manufacture of a rim that just a few years ago would have been considered cutting edge, and still today may be a very good economical option.

So who manufactures this mystery rim?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Who is producing 100mm rims for Mongoose?

How are the rims drilled? 64h? Or is it a staggered 32h?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Staggered 36 hole from what I can see.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Who is producing 100mm rims for Mongoose?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobytao View Post
    Staggered 36 hole from what I can see.
    In that case, not a good choice for an offset build unless you want to mess with drilling holes. That rules Pugsley owners out. Fine for symmetrical, though. Just thinking out loud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have no fear of drilling, and have drilled spoke holes before, but in this instance don't need to since I have a set of 36 hole Hadley 170mm hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Doesn't answer your question, but as an aside- the Paul 170 hubs are available in 36 hole, and I'm guessing that the new White Industries hubs will be as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    In that case, not a good choice for an offset build unless you want to mess with drilling holes. That rules Pugsley owners out. Fine for symmetrical, though...
    A perfectly strong wheel can be built for an offset bike by doing a crossover lacing, so Pug owners should not be put off.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland