Anchorage, AK

Who does Custom Rims in Anchorge?

I'd like to add a fat tire to my B.O.B. trailer--but the rims are 16 inch by 20mm. Anyone know who can make me some custom 65mm by 16 inch rims in Anchorage? I can make a franken tire that will fit, but the rims are beyond my ability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who does Custom Rims in Anchorge?-2012-11-21_15-53-05_541.jpg  

is buachail foighneach me
    I think you would be better off getting a longer end welded onto the bob trailer and using a 20" rim, which are available in wider sizes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Possible solution coastrider: Fatbike Trailer...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quick and dirty (but not neccesarily light weight) option might be to just use two 16" rims side-by-side. You could cross-lace them to oppsite hub flange so they stay tensioned together. With a few rivits through the two middle sidewalls (and/or a bit of structureal adhesive) it should stay together. The extra "rib" in the middle shouldnt really present a problem if you cover it with a bit of foam & duct tape.
    Slightly more refined method, take 2 identical rims, cut one sidewall off of each and rivit&glue in a stip of 3" wide aluminum to space the two sides apart, then use 1/2 of the original spoke holes on each side.

You can likely get a couple of old used kids bike rims for cheap from off-the-chain co-op to experiment with.

If you are staying on snow, perhaps consider replaceing the wheel with a ski?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    I think you would be better off getting a longer end welded onto the bob trailer and using a 20" rim, which are available in wider sizes.
    This, more tire choices too!

Wheel/Tire/Tube/Hub/Rim : Rims Only - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S. 20x3 or 4!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The only wide 16" rims I know of were the ones used on the smaller version of the Walmart Schwinn choppers. I don't think you can buy just the rim- you have to cannibalize a bike.

Chronic Underachiever
    There's a 16x3 rear wheel on eBay at the moment. Comes with a convenient coaster brake.

mtbr member
    This may be a dumb question, but would a homemade ski be good for snow? and keep the wheel for dry conditions?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Damn ebay sellers!!!

Ships only to lower 48 USA states. Prefers Paypal.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    There's a 16x3 rear wheel on eBay at the moment. Comes with a convenient coaster brake.
    Nice find. I can re-lace to a conventional hub and I am set. I have contacted the seller to ask if he will reconsider and ship to Alaska.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but would a homemade ski be good for snow? and keep the wheel for dry conditions?
    You might want to check THIS thread for a little bit more info on the front ski idea.
    Or search for Ktrak.

mtbr member
    no no, I mean a ski on the sled. maybe something wider to be a bit more stable. I think it would glide well over snow. I was thinking something like the shape of a spoon.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    The spoon part i understand, but i guess i'm drawing a blank on the sled part.

mtbr member
    OP is looking for a fat tire for his trailer. I was suggesting a ski on the trailer instead of a fat tire. I think the ski would be less drag in deep snow. it would just float across the tracks of the bike tires. With the wider design like a spoon, it would somewhat center itself on the snow tracks from the bike as well.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Haha, i think i got confused and mixed things up a bit.
    (I think i have been up to long...)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    no no, I mean a ski on the sled. maybe something wider to be a bit more stable. I think it would glide well over snow. I was thinking something like the shape of a spoon.
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing to a Burley but just using some u bolts counter sunk into some cut off ski's and going around the existing tires and rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Give Rick @ RTR a ring. He's been working on fat bikes before most guys in Alaska knew what they were. If he can't give you some leads no one can.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    Nice find. I can re-lace to a conventional hub and I am set. I have contacted the seller to ask if he will reconsider and ship to Alaska.
    Got em. Should be here is a few weeks. I'll need to re lace to a quick release hub and we'll see what kind of tires I can fit. I may still have to alter the frame, but I have my fingers crossed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who does Custom Rims in Anchorge?-16-inch.jpg  

Who does Custom Rims in Anchorge?-side-view.jpg  

Last edited by Lars_D; 12-15-2012 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I can't find it now, but I remember a thread with some photos of a BOB with the Schwinn rim and tire added. If I remember right, no (or perhaps minimal) mods were necessary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thats cool you got that chopper wheel. Here is an example of another trailer w/ a fat set-up from Billy at Arctic Cycles. You could ask him what he did...but it looks like you have a pretty good plan already. Arctic Cycles - Accessories

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    Got em. Should be here is a few weeks. I'll need to re lace to a quick release hub and we'll see what kind of tires I can fit. I may still have to alter the frame, but I have my fingers crossed.
    Hey, cheers! Post us a coupla pics when it's finished...always wanted to try this myself...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OTB_bOb View Post
    I'm thinking about doing the same thing to a Burley but just using some u bolts counter sunk into some cut off ski's and going around the existing tires and rims.
    You may be aware of this already, buy Burley makes a ski kit for their newer trailers...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who does Custom Rims in Anchorge?-pulk.jpg  

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    Hey, cheers! Post us a coupla pics when it's finished...always wanted to try this myself...
    Here they are with 1.95 hookworms. They are not really that much fatter than the stock tires which I believe are 1.75. I think I could fit at least a 2.5 and maybe a 3,0 tire, if I can find one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who does Custom Rims in Anchorge?-img00229.jpg  

Who does Custom Rims in Anchorge?-img00227.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here is a site listing acouple different 16x3 electric scooter tires, no idea if the BSD is same as bike 16" tires but for the price it might be worth a try.
    Electric Scooter, Bicycle, Dirt Bike, Pocket Bike and Go Kart Tires - Page 2 - ElectricScooterParts.com