Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Cheesiest
    Reputation: intheways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,292

    White Ind Mountain Cranks on Pugs

    I tried running a quick search, but didn't come across a lot. I'm curious if anyone has run WI (http://www.whiteind.com/cranks/mountaincranks.html) mountain cranks on a Pugs.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,247
    Seems like they would work fine. I run a 22-36 double on a set of Middleburns so the 24-38 on the White Industries should work. I run a 32 low in the back, which gives me a low enough gear about 99% of the time, so it seems like a 34 or 36 would work great with their ratios..

  3. #3
    Cheesiest
    Reputation: intheways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Seems like they would work fine. I run a 22-36 double on a set of Middleburns so the 24-38 on the White Industries should work. I run a 32 low in the back, which gives me a low enough gear about 99% of the time, so it seems like a 34 or 36 would work great with their ratios..
    Thanks! I've been debating between Middleburn and the VBC Mountain cranks. The only thing I worry about is clearing the chainstays.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gomadtroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    72
    The gearing is to high for me, ymmv though.

    A lot of mountain crankset are more 24-34-44, so the minimum 38 outer is to high for me. Younger legs may differ :-)

    Thanks for the link, I am always looking for 180mm square taper cranks.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Thanks! I've been debating between Middleburn and the VBC Mountain cranks. The only thing I worry about is clearing the chainstays.

    Thanks
    Their Q Factor does sound narrow. For sure Middleburn will work. You could run lower gears too. You contact White Industries to see what the inside clearance is on the 113 spindle and then calculate what it would be on a 145. I'm sure people here could come up with what you need to clear the Pugs.

  6. #6
    Cheesiest
    Reputation: intheways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Their Q Factor does sound narrow. For sure Middleburn will work. You could run lower gears too. You contact White Industries to see what the inside clearance is on the 113 spindle and then calculate what it would be on a 145. I'm sure people here could come up with what you need to clear the Pugs.
    I just installed the PW BB and it looks like I need a fair amount of Q to clear the chainstays.

    Also just put on the front tire (Larry), they are huge

Similar Threads

  1. A Fat White Pugs Christmas!!
    By bdundee in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 08:12 AM
  2. White Industries VBC Mountain Cranks Question
    By duke of kent in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 11:44 PM
  3. White industries cranks
    By singletracknick in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
  4. white ring on XTR Cranks
    By wolfy in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 09:24 AM
  5. White ENO cranks AOK for Clyde??
    By xrmattaz in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 01:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •