Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Log Home View Post
    New toy has arrived in perfect condition with no damage at all.

Attachment 1202865Attachment 1202866

Tapered headset...drilled rims...looks like 1x drivetrain...That's a lot of bike and looks nice! Is it the comp? What did it set you back?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Thanks for the link but I had already found the geometry, my question is what size did people actually buy.* Just by looking at the geometry charts compared to my current bikes, the reach and top tube on a Large is way short but the stack is high.
    I'm 5'8". My arms and torso are normal but my legs are short for my torso. I chose a size medium. With the top tube being so long, there is a lot you can do to adjust your reach by changing out the stem or bars and or moving the seat back or forward. I could probably fit a large as well and make it work but my bunny hop and handling would suffer for me I think. I wish I could have tried a size medium and large before pulling the trigger but I didn't have that option so I just went with medium and it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Have you guys found any gotchas that would make upgrades and maintenance more difficult that it should be?

I don't even know where I'd get a replacement derailleur hanger, so I'll start there. Does this one still appear to be the correct hanger for the current Argus Comp? The pictures I'm finding online makes it looks like it has changed.

https://bicyclepartsdirect.com/derai...hanger-94.html

It has upper attachments for a rear rack, but I haven't seen the lower attachments on the brake side. Is there a good unobstructed attachment point there for a rear rack?
    Good point about the derailure hanger, I also wondered this as I would like to have s spare on hand.

Either the pic of the hanger in the link you provided is wrong or that hanger is from another argus because it is not the same one used on the 2018 white Argus comp. There is an alloy detachable dropout derailure hanger on the argus comps derailure side. Not on the brake side btw. So we would need to reach out to shimano deore or mongoose to find out.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with rear racks but I can check or upload more pics to my Dropbox if that would help you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Oops, I see you are thinking of adding Slime. While it is probably okay, it does not work very well on it's own.* I would just the salvaged Orange Seal and live with a lesser amount.
    Yeah I don't think I'm going to be mixing regular slime with the 4 oz of salvaged orange seal. I put 4 oz in a tube a few weeks ago and it never sealed up an the puncture was real small. I left the Slime and and glue down a patch* to save that tube. so the regular slime is pretty much garbage in my opinion.

I am reading another thread about the Slime Str version and I'm seeing some promising reviews from a few folks. I am tubed in one wheel for now and I can't make my mind up on what to get. the Str is so much cheaper. if I could just here a few more positive reviews I will be in business but if not orange seal it is.

mesa3077boogie, You using the stock seat?

That thing kills my butt
    Yes I'm rolling with the stock seat. man the seat looks really nice but it definitely hurts!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Where are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-comp00.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    What seat is it?

Also. Don't cut your bars down. Keep em right where there at!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mesa3077boogie View Post
    What seat is it?

Also. Don't cut your bars down. Keep em right where there at!
    It's the same one I used on my 2017 Argus Comp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This looks similar and is cheaper but have never use this brand before.

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...e-nb-sc1s-base

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I purchased the 2018 Argus sport, changed to 1X9 gearing (32t front / 11-40 rear) Also changed the stem, bar and grips.

I gotta say, I love this bike, can't go wrong

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ator View Post
    I purchased the 2018 Argus sport, changed to 1X9 gearing (32t front / 11-40 rear) Also changed the stem, bar and grips.

I gotta say, I love this bike, can't go wrong
    Please, post up some real pictures of this beauty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Where are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-f2d6e3f8-ee71-4b0e-836b-7d1d9473c451.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-13c58c20-a13a-4b0d-b22b-9cb40990254c.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-5f805d90-1c92-4195-be76-e888654d807f.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-a04cb59d-4eda-4f0f-bcda-5c3335cf22eb.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-ccbf3c45-f6a1-4a52-9a76-6e0e4086cade.jpg
    Please, post up some real pictures of this beauty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2D6E3F8-EE71-4B0E-836B-7D1D9473C451.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	1206030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13C58C20-A13A-4B0D-B22B-9CB40990254C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	1206031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F805D90-1C92-4195-BE76-E888654D807F.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	1206032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A04CB59D-4EDA-4F0F-BCDA-5C3335CF22EB.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	1206033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCBF3C45-F6A1-4A52-9A76-6E0E4086CADE.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	1206034
    Thanks for the pictures. That is one sharp looking bike. How did you get the medium size frame? I only see the small size listed on Amazon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Bought it about a month ago. Said there was 4 in stock at the time

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    Tapered headset...drilled rims...looks like 1x drivetrain...That's a lot of bike and looks nice! Is it the comp? What did it set you back?
    Yea, it's the 2018 Argus Comp and it cost me $950.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yea, it's the 2018 Argus Comp and it cost me $950.
    I'm confused. I thought the 2018 Comp was the white one, was a already 1x 10 and was thru axles front and rear?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    I'm confused. I thought the 2018 Comp was the white one, was a already 1x 10 and was thru axles front and rear?
    Yes, that is the one I got. My picture is of the white Comp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yes, that is the one I got. My picture is of the white Comp.
    Got you, I was referring to Ator's pics of the orange bike it must be last year's or a different model

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Two questions.

First, other than drivetrain and a slight difference in brakes, is there any difference in the Sport and the Comp? Thinking of snagging the Sport and using the $250 savings to convert to GX Eagle 1x12 with a sunrace cassette. Have this setup on my regular mtb and have grown to really like it.

Second, is the 2018 Argus compatible with a bluto if I decide to upgrade in the future?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Got you, I was referring to Ator's pics of the orange bike it must be last year's or a different model
    Mine is the 2018 Argus sport. The white one is the 3018 Argus Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Two questions.

First, other than drivetrain and a slight difference in brakes, is there any difference in the Sport and the Comp? Thinking of snagging the Sport and using the $250 savings to convert to GX Eagle 1x12 with a sunrace cassette. Have this setup on my regular mtb and have grown to really like it.

Second, is the 2018 Argus compatible with a bluto if I decide to upgrade in the future?
    The comp also has internal cable routing and different wheel spacing, along with through axels (instead of the QR on the sport)

The Bluto will work on the sport but you’d either need adaptors or a new front wheel. The adapters will work just fine, I run em on my wife’s bike without issue.

Also, on my sport, that is the same crank that it comes with with only a 32t ring for the 1x setup

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The comp also has internal cable routing and different wheel spacing, along with through axels (instead of the QR on the sport)

The Bluto will work on the sport but you’d either need adaptors or a new front wheel. The adapters will work just fine, I run em on my wife’s bike without issue.

Also, on my sport, that is the same crank that it comes with with only a 32t ring for the 1x setup
    Thanks. Given all the small incremental upgrades, plus the fact the cassette is actually 11-42 vs 11-36 like I thought, I just pulled the trigger on the Comp. Hard to beat the features for the price, plus free assembly by performance bike right down the road!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    which one is 11-36? The sport comes 11-40

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    which one is 11-36? The sport comes 11-40
    I meant: once I looked at specs more closely I realized the Comp actually has a Sunrace 11-42 cassette vs a standard 10spd shimano 11-36 like I assumed it was initially. Was concerned about the gear range with the 1x crank before I realized it had a 42t big sprocket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I went with a 10 speed sunrace 11-42 on my sport as well, Also have: deore shifter, SLX derailleur, and SLX brakes. Just need to install those. Granted I already had that stuff which made my decision easy as well. Really, I already had all the upgrades for my Sport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    One more question, what does the rack mount situation look like? About to order a rear rack to go on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I went with a 10 speed sunrace 11-42 on my sport as well, Also have: deore shifter, SLX derailleur, and SLX brakes. Just need to install those. Granted I already had that stuff which made my decision easy as well. Really, I already had all the upgrades for my Sport.
    Yeah that's almost a no brainer then. Believe it or not one of the things that put me over the edge for the comp is that I'm setup to carry a 15mm thru axle bike on my car but not a wide QR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ahh..... I use a swagman Sitka rack. So no worries there

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ahh..... I use a swagman Sitka rack. So no worries there
    I hear you. I had a rear rack until I got rear ended with my old Giant hardtail and was out a $1500 bike with no insurance recompense. Now I curse my roof rack and bad drivers every time I screw around with putting my Trance up there.

noob bikepacker
    1UpUSA for the rack...last rack you will ever need!!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    1UpUSA for the rack...last rack you will ever need!!
    Nope, $600 for a 2 bike rack that can’t accomodate a 4 inch wide tire. The Argus has a 4.9 inch tire.

This is what I use:

https://www.swagman.net/product/sitkka-2/

Accommodates up to a 5 inch tire

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone have the standover number for a size medium 2018 argus? Ordered the last one on Amazon yesterday but the more I read I fear it may be too tall. I'm 5'9" 30" inseam in pants. Would like to get the number so I can cancel the order before it ships to avoid returning a beast of a package like that. And help would be much appreciated guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I’m 5’7” (30” inseam) and I ride exactly where you see my seat in the pictures. The orange sport. I think you’ll be fine.

I did put a much shorter stem. But your arms are probably a little longer

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

DIY Fat Rack

https://imgur.com/1DEDHm3I just added some hardware to the existing stock rack on my truck. got about $35 into it. I refuse to pay hundreds for a “real” roof rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    https://imgur.com/1DEDHm3I just added some hardware to the existing stock rack on my truck. got about $35 into it. I refuse to pay hundreds for a “real” roof rack.
    That's a great idea but you don't have that backward/forward "play" with the crossbars on most cars

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    When I purchase my Comp from Amazon last month they had 7 in stock. Just looked at the Comp and it now ships in 1-3 months. All of a sudden they are a hot seller.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When I purchase my Comp from Amazon last month they had 7 in stock. Just looked at the Comp and it now ships in 1-3 months. All of a sudden they are a hot seller.
    This thread turned me onto them, and I bought the last Comp on Amazon yesterday 😁 snagged a small argus sport for the wife while I was at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The comp is arguably the best deal on the market for a sub $1000 fatty. 1x, thru axles, room for real fat tires, can be set up tubeless and, hydraulic stoppers. Mongoose didn't miss much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The comp is arguably the best deal on the market for a sub $1000 fatty. 1x, thru axles, room for real fat tires, can be set up tubeless and, hydraulic stoppers. Mongoose didn't miss much.
    I wouldn't say arguably it is definitely!

And Mongoose doesn't stop there!

Check out the 2019 argus comp.

Actual tubeless ready tires and rims, 197mm rear width, 30T front chainring, 11-50T rear cassette... Daaaaayuuuummmm!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Son of a bitch! I was hoping to be one of a kind on the trail! Well Maybe fat bikes will get some more love around here now.

forgot if I mentioned this, but I'm back up to 780 mm bars with a 20 mm rise. working out much better for me now. I'm actually going to pick up some 35 mm rise bars next to see if they help my control. I'm still losing traction on the front end during tight cornering but they could be due to my skill level or overinflation.. but nothing a dropper post won't solve. Check out the brand x ascend XL! $150 shipped with 150mm drop!! I am constantly messing with my seat height on these trails. got to sell some stuff to get the cash but it will be worth it.

I hope you readers are aware that the bike is also equipped with internal routing for dropper post. this internal routing for dropper post is in addition to the brake cables and shifter cables internal routing. Thanks mongoose.

Last, the slime STR is holding up great I'm riding 9.5 PSI on Hardcore Rocky trails. Top speed on tough rough terrain is 22 - 25mph. doing three foot drops regularly (I'm 160lbs) and it's about a hundred degrees on the ground. So that's good..

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hey new here, found this while seaching for a fat bike. Im really intrested in this one, i like the look!
    I have an old 1999 gt rebound and a 29" big ripper i ride around, just looking for a better trail bike for local stuff. Always wanted a fat bike once i saw one!

I emailed amazon about the 1-3 month thing, they said once costomer orders they put the order in to manufacturer so im guessing it may be quicker then 1-3.
    Just notice today it went up a couple bucks also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cableman View Post
    Hey new here, found this while seaching for a fat bike. Im really intrested in this one, i like the look!
    I have an old 1999 gt rebound and a 29" big ripper i ride around, just looking for a better trail bike for local stuff. Always wanted a fat bike once i saw one!

I emailed amazon about the 1-3 month thing, they said once costomer orders they put the order in to manufacturer so im guessing it may be quicker then 1-3.
    Just notice today it went up a couple bucks also.
    Research fat bikes and get acquainted with them to appreciate them. don't buy any bike for looks. Yes this bike does look good but that's not a sole reason to purchase it.

The price could potentially go up to the list price which is $999.00. this is Amazon classic supply and demand.

Still wish I would have got the 2017 Argus expert when it was down from $1600 to the $850 price range just didn't have the spare cash. This was near the end of winter when the demand was low..

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Haha yeah i know i shouldnt buy anything for looks! Im a bmx guy at heart, loved mongoose back in the day and had a supergoose.
    I like quality stuff so ill spend a little more but dont wanna go over 1k.
    More or less im just looking for a good bike to hit my sandy trails and a few other trails, is there anything else i should look at?
    I can throw a bike around pretty good but im not looking for a bike ill be trying to beat any times with.
    Wife just bought a marin from lbs, he sells rockymountain, felt, trek and a few others. Something about the mongoose i want and amazon is the only seller right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Haha yeah i know i shouldnt buy anything for looks! Im a bmx guy at heart, loved mongoose back in the day and had a supergoose.
    I like quality stuff so ill spend a little more but dont wanna go over 1k.
    More or less im just looking for a good bike to hit my sandy trails and a few other trails, is there anything else i should look at?
    I can throw a bike around pretty good but im not looking for a bike ill be trying to beat any times with.
    Wife just bought a marin from lbs, he sells rockymountain, felt, trek and a few others. Something about the mongoose i want and amazon is the only seller right now.
    Yeah that was a strangely aggressive post. I have the same childhood affinity for mongoose and likewise wouldn't buy junk just because it looks cool. Even at list price there isn't much out there competing against the Argus. I feel your enthusiasm and hope you get what you want sooner than advertised!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I use to see a few fat bikes while camping some years back and was like what the heck is that!
    Almost bought a buds giant 29er xtr but i really want a fat bike.
    I searched the net for best fatbike under 1k and read alot of good info which brought me to here. While the bike does look cool the frame geometry, hidden wires and throu-axles really sell me!
    Last edited by cableman; 1 Week Ago at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    When does the next model year usually get released? 2019 sure looks nice in chrome or polished aluminum, matches my se racing big ripper lol
    Wonder what the price will be on that one, seems like the last year models dont drop price either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Price drop, $916!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    When does the next model year usually get released? 2019 sure looks nice in chrome or polished aluminum, matches my se racing big ripper lol
    Wonder what the price will be on that one, seems like the last year models dont drop price either.
    I don't know if it's a trend but this year's model didn't come out until April. I'm not sure but I think this is particular to Mongoose being sold solely on Amazon. What started this thread is when @log-home was asking about the bikes after the first of the year since they still were not out. so if you are in the market and they are down to $915 that is a great deal. If there is any Trend in the price point I would expect the 2018 to go below $915 when the 2019 models are about to debut. The 2017 models went down significantly before the 2018 models came out.

I searched the net for best fatbike under 1k and read alot of good info which brought me to here. While the bike does look cool the frame geometry, hidden wires and throu-axles really sell me!
    There is no doubt that this is the best bike under $1,000. No question.

With that said you are still going to want to operate the bike and there are at least two other bikes that I've mentioned several times that were also Worthy candidates. The motobecane sturgis and jamis roughneck. The motobecane Sturgis comes tubeless ready that has a bit better components out of the box but will arrive for $1,100 shipped. The Jamis roughneck is $1,500 and has better components and frame than both argus and Sturgis. It just depends if you want better Parts out of the box or you are willing to slowly upgrade.

About the frame geometry..

I am coming from all Mountain, BMX with a side of downhill to a fat bike. I need my bike to do fairly well the downhill trails. I keep going over the front end of the bike and can't control the front end that well on the downhill. Going back up to 780 mm bars with a higher rise then the stock bars really helped. Even with the seat slammed pretty low and with me crouched down like a frog the front end is still wacky on down Hills. I get it it's not meant to be a downhill bike. But the existing slope in the top tube allows you to slam the seat and use a dropper posts to give you a downhill experience.. with that said I think the geometry could be a little bit better on the argus comp the more I ride it. Mongoose can make some tweaks on the frame that still suit all Mountain & Fat Bike needs and do a little better for downhill. Not sure how they would accomplish this but I would root for shorter chain stays, larger slope on the seat tube, even longer top tube and down tube, shorter stem, and take the head tube angle from 72 down to 65 degrees.. Mongoose says they increase the length of the top tube and allow for shorter stems but actually only the top tube is longer and the stem remains fairly long as well. You really could not go to a shorter stem on The Argus comp in my opinion unless you really just wanted to go over the front end even more.

mtbr member
    There is no doubt that this is the best bike under $1,000. No question.
    That's a pretty bold statement. The Framed Minnesota LTD has:

1x11
    tubeless ready rims
    studdable Terrene Wazia tires

The only potential downside is a narrower rear end which will limit tire width.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    That's a pretty bold statement. The Framed Minnesota LTD has:

1x11
    tubeless ready rims
    studdable Terrene Wazia tires

The only potential downside is a narrower rear end which will limit tire width.
    But its got those bent cheap looking chain stays.. Cool bike otherwise! 😁

mtbr member
    But its got those bent cheap looking chain stays.. Cool bike otherwise! 
    Hmmm. Color me confused

vs

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hmmm. Color me confused

vs

Look at a higher res pic. Directly behind the chain ring (left of chain ring in the pic you attached) the chain stay has the "smash bend" indicative of old or inferior frame bending methods. For that matter notice how Framed purposefully omits close ups in this section of the bike..

Not saying this makes the bike garbage but it makes it seem cheaper and less visually appealing to me.

mtbr member
    Look at a higher res pic. Directly behind the chain ring (left of chain ring in the pic you attached) the chain stay has the "smash bend" indicative of old or inferior frame bending methods. For that matter notice how Framed purposefully omits close ups in this section of the bike..

Not saying this makes the bike garbage but it makes it seem cheaper and less visually appealing to me.
    I see what you are saying now. It would be nice to see how they attach the chain stays to the bottom bracket shell. It could be two individual stays mounted wider on the shell than mounting toward the center of the shell as the Mongoose picture seems to indicate. Structurally a wider attachment would be better, albeit offset somewhat by the "clearancing dent". My Mukluk has clearancing dents on the inside of the stays.

I am not sure how one can say Framed "purposefully" omitted anything. I have not found a good picture of that area of the Mongoose or even my Salsa or Otso for that matter.

What's good is that there are good choices at this price point. If one does not like this, they can buy that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Where are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-ab3f8ef6-eee6-41e1-9795-5e3a1fbb15a5.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-cd9ba946-3723-4554-959a-d2471bbcea31.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-60b0a267-5a89-4bc6-92fd-cc96e88dcb9d.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for replying back!
    I was looking at that framed ltd also but max rear tire at 4", kinda disappoints me. With the Argus i can go down in size if i wanted, and that inframe cable routing... love it!
    Now do i pull the trigger on the 2018 or wait for the 2019 with tubless ready rims and 1x11 gearing....
    Last edited by cableman; 1 Week Ago at 02:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for replying back!
    I was looking at that framed ltd also but max rear tire at 4", kinda disapoints me. With the Argus i can go down in size if i wanted, and that inframe cable routing... love it!
    Now do i pull the trigger on the 2018 or wait for the 2019 with tubless ready rims and 1x11 gearing....
    Tubeless and 1x11 will be worth the wait vs upgrading in the future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks, i may wait or watch and see how much the 2018 drops.

Im 5'10", havnt measured in a while lol
    31 or 32" inseam. Think the medium will be ok for me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Tubeless and 1x11 will be worth the wait vs upgrading in the future.
    Where can I find this info on the 2019 model?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    https://issuu.com/mongoosebikes/docs...45c2be4eaed45e

I couldnt see the link i attached cause im on mobil site, but it is there, just click under my name and it brings ya there....

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Now amazon says currently unavailable!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here's the last Argus Comp that was available from Amazon. Put about 30 miles on it since I assembled it Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Nice, so how ya like it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    Here's the last Argus Comp that was available from Amazon. Put about 30 miles on it since I assembled it Wednesday.

That's one sweet looking bike you got there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's one sweet looking bike you got there.
    Thanks!

Nice, so how ya like it?
    Worth every penny. It's my first fat bike as well as the only one I've ever ridden, but my senses and experience with other bikes tell me that the overall value is untouchable. The quality is completely on par with my $2500 Giant Trance 2, but of course it's a totally different ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Im suprised 7 months into the year amazon is the only way to get one and its out of stock with no idea if it will be back!
    Is the Minissota LTD compairable other then not being able to go wider then 4" tires in rear?

mtbr member
    Im suprised 7 months into the year amazon is the only way to get one and its out of stock with no idea if it will be back!
    Is the Minissota LTD compairable other then not being able to go wider then 4" tires in rear?
    The LTD comes with better rims, tires and 1x11 gearing. As you note, the trade off is a limited ability to fit wider tires in the back. I will be assembling an LTD for a friend tomorrow. I will post some pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The LTD comes with better rims, tires and 1x11 gearing. As you note, the trade off is a limited ability to fit wider tires in the back. I will be assembling an LTD for a friend tomorrow. I will post some pics.
    Awesome thanks!

mtbr member
    Well, the bike arrived at the office today. It looks pretty nice:

Where are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-img_3192.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-img_3193.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-img_3194.jpgWhere are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at?-img_3195.jpg

This bike does not have internal cable routing Like the Mongoose.

No damage. Tires arrived inflated. It does need a quick tune on the shifting. It even came with a nice pedal wrench and multi-tool. Other than a knife or wire cutter to cut all the zip ties, no other tools were needed for assembly.

4" tire clears the chain by a good 1/4". One could probably squeeze a 4.3 or 4.4 in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Looks nice, i think thats the color id go with also.
    How are those cranks? I dont know too much about what parts are better then what...

mtbr member
    Cranks are okay. It is a TruVative square taper bottom bracket. Some may debate if that is better than external cups or not for dirty conditions.

As part of tune up I checked derailleur hanger alignment. It was out by 8 mm or so. After tweaking that back into shape it tuned like a champ.

Rear is a quick release TA, front is not, so one will have to carry an allen wrench.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I guess the mongoose has external bearings? That style is all new to me.

Edit: ok i see it does have external bearings. Looks like most companys are changing over to that, wonder why framed didnt on this one.
    Last edited by cableman; 3 Days Ago at 03:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Just found a 2017 trek farley 7 used for 1k, size medium. May be a tad small for a 5'10 guy. Id have to drive to jersey to ck it out, or wait for a 2019 mongoose comp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just found a 2017 trek farley 7 used for 1k, size medium. May be a tad small for a 5'10 guy. Id have to drive to jersey to ck it out, or wait for a 2019 mongoose comp.
    that's a tough call Bro. I tried a small Farley 5 at the Trek Store. They were willing to let it go for $825 and it was in great shape. I am 5 8 and it was definitely too small.. the reach was too short but I felt like the I could throw it around if I needed to, which is a good thing. I just couldn't deal with the short reach and the thought of having to get a super long neck or offset seat post just to compensate. I am okay with adjusting a seat post or a neck for fine adjustments but the adjustments would have been too extreme to justify the purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hey guys I installed my brand X XL dropper post on the argus comp! (150mm drop)

I struggled for a bit trying to route the cable through the down tube. After some time and YouTubeing, I ended up plugging off all the holes on the frame and then vacuuming of piece of sewing thread through the holes in the down tube. I then tired a small electrical wire on to the thread and pulled that through. Last I* tied the wire to the dropper cable line and pulled it through.

The way the Argus comp routes the dropper post cable is very unique. The cable goes through the down tube on the side (where front derailleur shifter cable would normally go), then exits at the bottom middle of the down tube, then the cables goes under the bottom bracket and then back in through the back of the seat tube to feed the dropper post. You still can run a front derailleur if needed as there are still separate frame tube holes for that. Mongoose thought of It all for this bike.

I trimmed about one inch off of the length of the stock cable provided by brand x, but only so that the shifter cable, brake cable, and dropoer post cable were visually even looking from the front of the bike. You could get away without trimming it at all.

Using it for the first time I could definitely see the benefit, but it is going to take a few rides to get used to. You have to prepare ahead for when you will need it and think/prepare ahead just like you do for shifting. I admit I inadvertently hit the dropper level trying to shift and shifted tying to drop my post a few times. A little MTB dyslexia lol. Only fid 14 miles of Trail last night so I'm sure in time I'll get used to it in time.

It was definitely awesome on the down Hills completely getting my seat out of the way! The argus frame allows for a really low drop too. This is 150 mm dropper post. With the post all the way into the seat tube it still extends up about 3 inches due to the nut in the seat tube for the cage top Mount bolt. When fully extended from that Lowest position the seat is really high which is great for climbing. When the dropper is smashed down in it's lowest position it is perfect for downhill and what I've hoping for for a long time, when prior to the Argus comp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The old vacuum trick! Done that b4 but not on a bike!

Gonna have my buddy check the trek out, if it fits him he'll grab it for me, hes a half hour away from the guy.
    Seems like a good deal for a 2017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12