mtbr member
    Jan 2010

What's happening at Sandman bikes?

Sandman bikes were the ones that seemed to be bringing the idea of front suspension fatbikes to the masses a few years ago and now that those bikes are all the rage, they seem to have dropped the ball. What happened? Do they still exist, the website seems to have stayed the same for too long, no more updates with news,... what have they gone?

They seem to be missing out on the popularity of the 'niche' they created.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack View Post
    Sandman bikes were the ones that seemed to be bringing the idea of front suspension fatbikes to the masses a few years ago and now that those bikes are all the rage, they seem to have dropped the ball. What happened? Do they still exist, the website seems to have stayed the same for too long, no more updates with news,... what have they gone?

They seem to be missing out on the popularity of the 'niche' they created.
    I lost interest when they wouldn't publish a geo chart for their bikes and just kept saying they had some special trail geo. That got old fast and who is going to mailorder an expensive bike from Europe without some basic geo info?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I lost interest when they wouldn't publish a geo chart for their bikes and just kept saying they had some special trail geo. That got old fast and who is going to mailorder an expensive bike from Europe without some basic geo info?
    Bang on target IMO.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any more info about Sandman, I really like the look of the Gobi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tekin112000 View Post
    Any more info about Sandman, I really like the look of the Gobi
    The last news post on their site is from Dec 2013. That's always a bad sign.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I noticed their website looks a bit stale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It is weird that they seem to have just disappeared. Poof. Gone.

mtbr member
    I called them recently, and they are very nice and offered to customize a bike to my specs RE the wheels and tires. I considered buying from them, but I did more research and decided that as a Clyde I need through-axles. I also found a shop that will sell me a 9:ZERO:7 with a slightly better spec - and through axles - for the same price as their QR-equipped bike. So, I crossed them off my list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    well guys it has been a long time since something happened on this thread ..... time to inform you what happened!!

I am Marvin (dutch native living and working in Taiwan) and I a the new owner of Sandman Bikes, i used to work with the old owner Koen Viaene and have helped him to make the switch from Belgian produced frames to Taiwan made frames and we started that project 3 years ago. A lot of test frames have ben built since then and those sadly never saw production done due to the fact that Koen also has his travel agency Camino Loco and was extremely busy with that. Running 2 businesses at the same time and traveling beyond reach of internet doesn't make running a bike brand an easy thing and therefore Koen decided last year that it was time to make a choice. We reached an agreement and November last year i purchased the Brand and since February of this year we are slowly starting to crawl back to where we belong.

Sandman is a cool brand with proper fatbike heritage and you can now find us on our new website: SandMan cycling | Creators of FatBikes and more

we have completely reworked the old Frame program and have introduced a new line of hardtail frames and are adding more to that line as we speak!

be welcome to check out the website : SandMan cycling | Creators of FatBikes and more and our facebookpage where you can see how we are progressing.

https://www.facebook.com/SANDMANbikes/?fref=ts

if you have any questions on geometry, specs etc we have it al listed on the website no more secrets ;-)

if you want personal advise or help on how to obtain one of our products please contact us at: contact@sandmanbikes.com or sales@sandmanbikes.com

best regards,
    Marvin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FATlab View Post
    well guys it has been a long time since something happened on this thread ..... time to inform you what happened!!

I am Marvin (dutch native living and working in Taiwan) and I a the new owner of Sandman Bikes, i used to work with the old owner Koen Viaene and have helped him to make the switch from Belgian produced frames to Taiwan made frames and we started that project 3 years ago. A lot of test frames have ben built since then and those sadly never saw production done due to the fact that Koen also has his travel agency Camino Loco and was extremely busy with that. Running 2 businesses at the same time and traveling beyond reach of internet doesn't make running a bike brand an easy thing and therefore Koen decided last year that it was time to make a choice. We reached an agreement and November last year i purchased the Brand and since February of this year we are slowly starting to crawl back to where we belong.

Sandman is a cool brand with proper fatbike heritage and you can now find us on our new website: SandMan cycling | Creators of FatBikes and more

we have completely reworked the old Frame program and have introduced a new line of hardtail frames and are adding more to that line as we speak!

be welcome to check out the website : SandMan cycling | Creators of FatBikes and more and our facebookpage where you can see how we are progressing.

https://www.facebook.com/SANDMANbikes/?fref=ts

if you have any questions on geometry, specs etc we have it al listed on the website no more secrets ;-)

if you want personal advise or help on how to obtain one of our products please contact us at: contact@sandmanbikes.com or sales@sandmanbikes.com

best regards,
    Marvin
    Thanks for the update Marvin. Good luck with the new phase of Sandman.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Glad to hear that Sandman is still kicking. I'm a fan of the brand. When I lived in Florida I would ride my fat bike past the Sandman Hotel in Deerfield Beach and then go home and search this forum for any Sandman updates. You guys were really tearing it up for a while there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    This night before GFBDay I was in a bar in Swanage with Charlie The Bikemonger, his employees the Watts brothers, Andy Stooge and some others...

I voiced an intention to buy Charlie's Gobi rolling chassis and swap the parts from my OOF in the hour between shop opening time and the start of the ride. I don't remember anyone telling me not to, but those warnings may have been washed away by the subsequent ale.

I was late to the shop (blame aforementioned ale), but helped finish off the day's Demo bikes and got busy in the workshop. Trying to pair demo bikes with riders and manage the chaos caused by the arrival of more people than will fit in a small shop, Charlie could have done without me hijacking at least one of his staff. The excitement had deafened me to any protests. Brothers Watts and I failed to finish the build as we couldn't find the gear hanger anywhere, so we gave up and I rode a too-short Surly Wednesday for the day, leaving the shop 40 minutes late but catching up with the tail of the group at the bottom of the first dirt climb.

tl;dr: I've got a shiny new Gobi but I can't ride it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

mech hanger

Quote Originally Posted by Emyr View Post
    This night before GFBDay I was in a bar in Swanage with Charlie The Bikemonger, his employees the Watts brothers, Andy Stooge and some others...

I voiced an intention to buy Charlie's Gobi rolling chassis and swap the parts from my OOF in the hour between shop opening time and the start of the ride. I don't remember anyone telling me not to, but those warnings may have been washed away by the subsequent ale.

I was late to the shop (blame aforementioned ale), but helped finish off the day's Demo bikes and got busy in the workshop. Trying to pair demo bikes with riders and manage the chaos caused by the arrival of more people than will fit in a small shop, Charlie could have done without me hijacking at least one of his staff. The excitement had deafened me to any protests. Brothers Watts and I failed to finish the build as we couldn't find the gear hanger anywhere, so we gave up and I rode a too-short Surly Wednesday for the day, leaving the shop 40 minutes late but catching up with the tail of the group at the bottom of the first dirt climb.

tl;dr: I've got a shiny new Gobi but I can't ride it yet.

Hi Emyr, those Gobi'w where shipped from Europe to Charlie and somehow the hanger was not with it . We have shipped a new hanger to your house address after discussing with Charlie so it should be on your doorstep soon so you can ride !!

keep me posted on the ride and send some pictures of your bike to sales@sandmanbikes.com or post them directly to our facebook page !!

best regards,
    Marvin