Just hit it with speed

What's it cost to ship a fat bike?

I have a paid spam advertisement on here for a Surly Pugsley/Necromancer.

I've received interest from about 5 or 6 people but everyone is a ways away.

I've never shipped anything larger than a frame and I don't even know where to begin on getting a solid price. I tried estimated two boxes on Fedex.com and it was around $300.00.

Anyone have any experience shipping a complete fat bike?

Thanks for any info.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Around here the cheapest for large awkward stuff was always by bus.

mtbr member
    I just sent a single wheel and tire from Oregon to Michigan and the UPS quote was $80! Ended up sending it via USPS for $58 so I can believe the $300 unfortunately. Sell it FOB and let the buyer figure it out.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

ouch....
    I haven't tried this myself but the reading i was doing suggested finding someone with a ups or fedex account, should be cheaper. Also, if you can find a 7" wide frame box instead of 8" wide to keep it in a cheaper shipping bracket.
    Riding.....

Fat & Single
    Im surprised, I thought you's US lot had it easy with internal shipping costs.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    The account holders get it easy street..... Jenson USA can ship me a set of marge lite rims, spokes, shifters and levers for $26 from the US to Oz. Going on the box size it would cost me at least twice that to send the to the guy down my street.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I just received a Puglsey via FedEx and I did not have to pay shipping, but based on the invoice it looked like it was only $80 ish. That may be a business rate though

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The Best Lowest Bicycle Shipping in America and Worldwide | ShipBikes It's by far the best way I've found. The few bikes I've shipped in my own packaging one from CA to NY and the other NY to CO went for $50-$80 depending on the box dimensions. My fat bike was actually the cheaper of the two...but still definitely the way to go. It seems a little sketchy at first but works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woodi2259 View Post
    The Best Lowest Bicycle Shipping in America and Worldwide | ShipBikes It's by far the best way I've found. The few bikes I've shipped in my own packaging one from CA to NY and the other NY to CO went for $50-$80 depending on the box dimensions. My fat bike was actually the cheaper of the two...but still definitely the way to go. It seems a little sketchy at first but works perfectly.

I absolutely second this suggestion- I've shipped three bikes with them by now, two across country, one of them a fatbike, and all were in the $50-90 range. The key is finding a box that fits within their requirements but still fits a fatbike. I work at a car dealer so I used a large parts box just a few inches wider than a bike box, as my LBS's boxes were too small. If you play around with their quote page, you can learn what dimensions they'll accept as you hunt for a box that fits.

They use FedEX, it's just like a group discount program, essentially
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone have any experience shipping a complete fat bike?

A complete fat bike. No. I found it much cheaper to ship in 2 boxes by USPS or Canada Post. The reason for the 2 boxes is to get under the maximum size allowed by parcel post. If you are under the max bikes are cheap to ship. For example: my Ibis in 2 boxes with $1500 insurance cost me around $85 USD to ship home from holiday in Arizona to Skagway Alaska.

A recent fat bike purchase via pinkbike in 2 boxes was $160 CND with $1500 insurance to ship between Ottawa, Ontario and Whitehorse, Yukon.

It is a little effort to cut down a standard bike box but worth it for me.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    The account holders get it easy street..... Jenson USA can ship me a set of marge lite rims, spokes, shifters and levers for $26 from the US to Oz. Going on the box size it would cost me at least twice that to send the to the guy down my street.
    Mmh, and this little thing Fatbikes.com White Brother Snowpack Adaptor costs $29.49 to have it shipped to Germany. Don't know why they put it in a gigantic box when it can be nicely fitted into a flat kraft mailer.

BTW. I ordered a 907 frame end of February which was only $60.49 shipping to Germany.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I can come down and pick it up. I just want to know if it is still for sale?

Just hit it with speed
    Yes, it is, haven't ridden it since posting it up. Had interest from Denmark, London, our neighbors to the North and a couple people around the lower 48, but everyone wants it shipped, I just can't put my finger on a good price for shipping.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    One of our lady riders wants to go fat. I am passing along the info.

Thumper
    I usually get or ship bigger stuff by bus for destinations in North America.

Way cheaper than any other way I have found.

I definitely will check out ShipBikes to see what that`s about.

Dinner for wolves
    Good info here, thanks. Anybody shoehorn a fatbike into an Aircaddy?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I shipped my Fatback from VA to AK last year using an Aircaddy ($100). You need to let the air out of the back wheel to fit. There is plenty of space for wide bars and extra space to toss in gear you dont want to fly with (or check another bag and pay a fee). The box can be resued and I will be sending it from VA to NE in a couple months. I expect no issues.

I used Bicycle Shipping | Bike Shipping Company | Bike Shipping | Bicycle Travel Insurance | Bicycle Boxes-Cases | BikeFlights.com and had no issues last year. This year's trip will cost $316 round trip.

I used these parameters:
    - Aircaddy dimensions
    - Insured for $2,500
    - 45lbs
    - VA to NE

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by redline814 View Post
    I shipped my Fatback from VA to AK last year using an Aircaddy ($100). You need to let the air out of the back wheel to fit. There is plenty of space for wide bars and extra space to toss in gear you dont want to fly with (or check another bag and pay a fee). The box can be resued and I will be sending it from VA to NE in a couple months. I expect no issues.

I used Bicycle Shipping | Bike Shipping Company | Bike Shipping | Bicycle Travel Insurance | Bicycle Boxes-Cases | BikeFlights.com and had no issues last year. This year's trip will cost $316 round trip.

I used these parameters:
    - Aircaddy dimensions
    - Insured for $2,500
    - 45lbs
    - VA to NE
    Thanks, Bro. That is pricier than I was expecting. I need to get my Pugs from Philly to Denver and back again this Fall. I need to find a cost effective solution.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: What's it cost to ship a fat bike?

It might cost Jebus dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Got another lady trying to get in touch. She is getting her info from the other lady. So hold tight, I'm doing by best to sell this bike for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What's it cost to ship a fat bike?-100_0674.jpgWhat's it cost to ship a fat bike?-100_0687.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by onecogshortofacluster View Post
    Got another lady trying to get in touch. She is getting her info from the other lady. So hold tight, I'm doing by best to sell this bike for you.
    Well it finally got sold, and is living happily in the Pinelands of New Jersey.