mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here. Best Tire & Rim Size For Everything Except Snow/Sand?

Which are the best fat bike tire and rim sizes for all-around, three season, off-road riding?

Much of fat biking revolves around snow and sand, understandably so, and there seems to be a trend towards ever bigger tires and rims designed to maximize performance on those surfaces.

But for those of us that care mostly about riding over all terrain and trails for only three seasons, don't live by a beach or desert, and care least about snow and sand capability, which is the optimal tire and rim size?

Does fatter and wider mean better for all-terrain riding?

I actually don't care much about going slower, as I am one of the slowest riders in the world already, and I will be riding for the journey, not the destination. I do like nimble and responsive though, and I would also like to go where no bike has gone before, if I can find such places. I also will be going up and down some steep terrain.

Conflicting goals already? It is understood every tire and rim size involves compromising something.

But is there a sweet spot for three season mountain and meadow riding, on all types of surfaces except sand or snow?

Is it still 3.8" tires on 65mm rims, is it now 4.0" tires on an 80mm rim, or something bigger?

For extra credit, which are the best model all-around tires and rims for the three-season sizes you like best?
    Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 12-25-2017 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    During the summer, I run either Vee Tire Mission Command 26 x 4.0 or Jumbo Jim 4.0 on 80 mm rims. No complaints, but I use the fat bike in the summer for dirt roads and for casual noodling around town, so I may be a lot less demanding than you may be in terms of the difficulty of the terrain I ride.

The biggest thing is to get the tire pressure right, especially on the road, so I'm not bouncing as I pedal. I'm a pretty big guy so I probably ride a couple pounds over what you would want so I don't bottom out.
    1980 Trek 614
    1980 Ritchey Everest custom MTB, serial #27
    2015 Trek Boone 5
    2015 Felt DD30 fatbike
    2016 S-Works Enduro

Rocking on a Rocky
    4.7" x 26" on 65 mm carbon rim.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Ambassador of Chub
    If I was building a set of fat wheels for 3-season use right now, I'd go 27.5 x 3.8" - Minions on Mulefuts.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

wjh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would have said 4" on 65mm until i used 4" on 80mm. The difference in volume at the same air pressure rides a lot nicer. Really soaks up the rocks and roots better.

mtbr member
    I'd bet 4 on 80 will be pretty close to overall best set-up.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    I really like 4" on 65-70mm rims for all around. I used 4" on 80mm but I preferred the rounder profile of the 65mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Short cranks (165mm) for clearance, low gearing (26t x 46t) for tech climbing, 27.5 x 4 on a 50mm rim for all surfaces riding (Hodag or similar).

Keep in mind that 4 tires measure out to ~3.7, so you really dont need a super wide rim, esp if youre not trying to maximize float. A round profile will handle better on varied terrain than a tire that has been stretched flat.

That said, I ride 3 tires most of the year unless it snows, its sandy/wet, or Im going off piste.

This place needs an enema
    Nominal 3.8" width tires.

27.5" rims.

Width of rims tuned to match your local riding -- narrower (50 to ~65mm) for hard, fast, technical trail, or wider (up to ~80 or 85mm) if said trails are softer and require some sort of float.

banned
    This sounds about right, only that I'm happy with my 26" rims. Haven't tried 27.5" fat tires though I'm not craving the change, either.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Nominal 3.8" width tires.

27.5" rims.

Width of rims tuned to match your local riding -- narrower (50 to ~65mm) for hard, fast, technical trail, or wider (up to ~80 or 85mm) if said trails are softer and require some sort of float.

mtbr member
    3.8 x 27.5. I am running on 80mm rims.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    This sounds about right, only that I'm happy with my 26" rims. Haven't tried 27.5" fat tires though I'm not craving the change, either.

I'm building a lot of B Fat right now -- probably 60% of my total.

Of those that try it, I'd guesstimate that 9.5 out of 10 are over the moon thrilled with it, year-round.

Of those that try it, I'd guesstimate that 5 out of 10 didn't know what it was, and weren't asking for it. But when they explained to me where and how they ride, and I suggested it and explained why, they eventually understood the potential benefits and wanted to try.

It's not for everyone -- no one wheel (or tire) size truly is.

banned
    Good to hear. Perhaps a little off topic (since its not truly fat) but still relevant to the specified terrain is how 3.8 x 27.5 compares to 3.0 x 29. Outside of sand and snow, does one consistently outshine the other, and/or are we splitting hairs here?

I'm building a lot of B Fat right now -- probably 60% of my total.

Of those that try it, I'd guesstimate that 9.5 out of 10 are over the moon thrilled with it, year-round.

It's not for everyone -- no one wheel (or tire) size truly is.

Like a FirePlug
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    I'd bet 4 on 80 will be pretty close to overall best set-up.
    ^This for all around use

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    4.4" on 80mm. 4.0 on 80 is too square for my tastes, I like to be able lean hard.

And 3 seasons hell, unless your running missions or larrys (or anything else that's pretty much dirt road/pavement use tires) you can ride about anything on most decent fat tires.

My 4.4 jumbo jims on 80mm mulefuts Im about to test in the snow but have done well on everything else so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

turtles make me hot
    I run a 4.8 Bud on an 80mm My Other Brother Darryl year round on the front of my 907.
    Excellent front tire. The rear, I was doing 29+ in the warmer weather but now I have a Krampus. Going to leave the fat bike fat. On the rear, I have a MOB Darryl and I change between Lou, 4.8 Knard and Bud.
    I'm going to build a 27.5 rear wheel and try some different tires to try and free up some speed when not snow riding.
    I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    Good to hear. Perhaps a little off topic (since its not truly fat) but still relevant to the specified terrain is how 3.8 x 27.5 compares to 3.0 x 29. Outside of sand and snow, does one consistently outshine the other, and/or are we splitting hairs here?

29+ is faster, more efficient. B Fat has more float, more traction, more rock-crawl-ability, but it's definitely slower, and requires more effort to keep moving.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    29+ is faster, more efficient. B Fat has more float, more traction, more rock-crawl-ability, but it's definitely slower, and requires more effort to keep moving.
    Thats where b+ rocks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

banned
    Good to know, thanks. This would be my personal dilemma (27.5 x 3.8 vs 29 x 3.0) if I were looking into a "new" wheel size to accommodate the O.P.'s terrain Q.