Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2015

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?

I didn't see one of these types of topics.

Blue Diamond, NV
    8 miles
    1:04

Should have taken pics but the focus is on the exercise.

Also did the most aggressive valley. Not sure what you call it but a 15 foot drop down that is probably 25 feet across. V shape. Drop down one side and mash up the other. The fat tires give great confidence that would otherwise have me second guessing.

banned
    Sep 2008
    quick backyard loop this morning. 7 miles, 1 hour, and that's going hard with no stops. super twisty/turny. demanding enough where the only way you can grab bottle for a drink is if you stop. demanding enough where my a$$ doesn't really touch the seat for 90-95% of the ride.

not a pic from today as i was solo, but here's a taste.

ya, it's rocky chunky rough round here, that's why i roll rigid fo evah! no other front end configuration is as spot on or responsive as rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    quick backyard loop this morning. 7 miles, 1 hour, and that's going hard with no stops. super twisty/turny. demanding enough where the only way you can grab bottle for a drink is if you stop. demanding enough where my a$$ doesn't really touch the seat for 90-95% of the ride.

not a pic from today as i was solo, but here's a taste.

ya, it's rocky chunky rough round here, that's why i roll rigid fo evah! no other front end configuration is as spot on or responsive as rigid.
    I am riding rocky desert. Was thinking during the ride that a Bluto might be nice. Have you tried suspension yet?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelies View Post
    I am riding rocky desert. Was thinking during the ride that a Bluto might be nice. Have you tried suspension yet?
    yes. i've ridden softride suspension stems, rock shox quadra's, judy's, sids, reba's, zokes, fox, white bros............but in and out of all of that i always go back to rigid. rigid since 87'. with 8-8.5psi and 4" tires? fuggetaboutit. i gots all the cush i could ever pine for. and zero maintenance

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Along the Colorado River was a treat today. Took the scenic route to visit family and the detour was worth every pedal stroke.

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-img_0227.jpg
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I thought I was the only rigid holdout (Since '86, so bout the same as Newmark), and I didn't ride today. I rode yesterday. And not the Colorado River, but the Kansas River. No pics, but it's too muddy to ride anything but the levee. I *did* go across a sweet walkway along the AT&SF bridge just north of the BNSF shops. Took some cool snaps of the muddy river, but I'll have to post later. Got 7.2mi in cool mist. Nicer ride than I thought it'd be: odd how that seems to be the case 99% of the time.

Rocking on a Rocky
    In the wet rooty woods.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-image.jpgKeepin' it simple with no oil running down a fork in the dead of winter is good stuff. But then again, my trials bike is full rigid too.

Quote Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
    I thought I was the only rigid holdout (Since '86, so bout the same as Newmark), and I didn't ride today. I rode yesterday. And not the Colorado River, but the Kansas River. No pics, but it's too muddy to ride anything but the levee. I *did* go across a sweet walkway along the AT&SF bridge just north of the BNSF shops. Took some cool snaps of the muddy river, but I'll have to post later. Got 7.2mi in cool mist. Nicer ride than I thought it'd be: odd how that seems to be the case 99% of the time.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Did the intermediate trail at Oleta state park..TWICE...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    No riding today. Sat on the beach under my giant umbrella enjoying the scenery. Couldn't ride if I wanted to - waiting on my new frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Went hiking today instead of riding. In the pouring rain. Had the trails to myself.

I like rain.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-img_0067.jpg

Just another freaking 80 degree day in May, in Alaska (what is up with that!?) Pleasant time out with the wife and dogs, but wow, this time of year is maybe 50 degrees, normally.

for the record, not bragging. Complaining.

Cheers
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    yes. i've ridden softride suspension stems, rock shox quadra's, judy's, sids, reba's, zokes, fox, white bros............but in and out of all of that i always go back to rigid. rigid since 87'. with 8-8.5psi and 4" tires? fuggetaboutit. i gots all the cush i could ever pine for. and zero maintenance

HAH!

Zero maintenance is worth SO MUCH.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I didn't see one of these types of topics.
    Really?
    Are you blind?
    If you click on Replies/Views at the top of the threads, you'll discover the most popular fat bike thread: over 8,700 replies and over 1.3 million views.
    Daily fatbike pic thread

Maybe the mods will move the above threads over, to save cluttering up the forum.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Really?
    Are you blind?
    If you click on Replies/Views at the top of the threads, you'll discover the most popular fat bike thread: over 8,700 replies and over 1.3 million views.
    Daily fatbike pic thread

Maybe the mods will move the above threads over, to save cluttering up the forum.
    Don't really care about pics. This is ride stats.

All fat, all the time.
    What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-img_2015053134511.jpg

21 mile loop, lots of rocks, downed trees, and climbing. Fantastic

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Pumped up my tires to 15psi went from Sellwood (Portland) to Boring Oregon on paved trails. Approx 37.6 miles. Went with 3 friends on carbon fiber road bikes. Finished about 2 minutes each way behind them. It rides a little slower, but not that much- Larry front, Floater rear. I was tired.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    With the in-laws in town, I got up early at 10am to sneak in a ride before we went to work installing a fence in my backyard.

Even though I got up early at 10am, by the time I was ready to hit the road (trail), before I threw my bike on the car rack, I rode it out into my estate where the fence was going to be installed. Imagine my surprise when my father in law was already out there measuring sh1t. No worries though, a quick, "C-ya l8r, dawg" and I was out. Nice little 8 miles on a beautiful day.

Got home, cracked a cold one, and started fencing furiously.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Don't really care about pics. This is ride stats.
    All that vision he's got, and he still can't read!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Der Furor say's, what for you make a thread about fat bike riding experiences, as opposed to photos without a caption re: where it was, Etc...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It's raining buckets today

mtbr member
    Did my typical morning ride at 6:30am, some pavement, dirt trails and parks in town.
    9.3 miles 39mins, 14.1 mph avg.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Pumped up my tires to 15psi went from Sellwood (Portland) to Boring Oregon on paved trails. Approx 37.6 miles. Went with 3 friends on carbon fiber road bikes. Finished about 2 minutes each way behind them. It rides a little slower, but not that much- Larry front, Floater rear. I was tired.
    There is no way I could keep up with the speeds I would post on my road bike, that I sold!

My average road ride was 50 miles. Didn't like going out for less. Props to you for putting up that big mileage.

My FB SE does not like speed on the road with the heavy rolling resistance.

Good to see some of you folks getting some good rides in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    After 3 days of not riding, I drove to a nearby area and went for a spin around some trails near the beach, then rode out on the beach, then back to the trails, for a total of 5.2 miles on my Pugsly, with my gps showing 56 minutes of riding time.
    I phoned my dinner order in to a local "Fish Shack" and loaded up my bike, drove over to the Fish Shack and dinner (Cranberry Coast Chicken Cashew Salad, Crab/Cheese Melt sandwich, and a cup of clam chowder) was ready for pick-up when I arrived. I drove home and ate it, then I put my bike away.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    It's raining buckets today

raining here as well, so i surfed a building ne windswell instead. gotta have an upper body sport to compliment a lower body sport. do both multiple times a week then you stay strong like bull. rigid strong yo

mtbr member
    so i surfed a building ne windswell instead

I'm not entirely sure what this means.

turtles make me hot
    I rode my Bud and Lou equipped 907 yesterday down the Greenbelt and rode "Grundle", then continued South and did Manetto Hill. I rode back up to the trailhead because I had business with the family. My friends continued to ride about four more miles.
    I was the only one with a fatty yesterday. I was forced to try and keep pace with a Krampus and two fullies.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I rode the hell out of Duthie, on my Bluto'd Boris.

PVCA (Paradise Valley) is coming up this Thursday night.

I may even commute on the fatty a day or two as well to give the road bike a rest.

Planning to hit up the Steven's Bike Park on the 13th.
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

-Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I rode my Bud and Lou equipped 907 yesterday down the Greenbelt and rode "Grundle", then continued South and did Manetto Hill. I rode back up to the trailhead because I had business with the family. My friends continued to ride about four more miles.
    I was the only one with a fatty yesterday. I was forced to try and keep pace with a Krampus and two fullies.
    Maybe worth getting a 29+ wheelset? :P

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    so i surfed a building ne windswell instead

I'm not entirely sure what this means.
    this

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Thyroid_Bike View Post
    Maybe worth getting a 29+ wheelset? :P
    I currently have a whole 29+ bike build under way.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 12 hrs from the nearest worthwhile wave (about as landlocked as possible), and I followed: love to surf, and would love to live where I could ride a board AND a bike. It would be hard for me to find time to go to work though.

All fat, all the time.
    I rode a local chunky trail (after riding some buff singletrack to get me in the mood of course).

Cleaned it all except for 1 sketchy downhill switchback, was a good day. Found a cool shortcut to get back to the Jeep without riding 2 miles of road, bonus!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
    I'm 12 hrs from the nearest worthwhile wave (about as landlocked as possible), and I followed: love to surf, and would love to live where I could ride a board AND a bike. It would be hard for me to find time to go to work though.
    living one mile down a dirt road from the surf and 1/4 of a mile from dozens and dozens of miles of trails is key. i can surf and ride before work………and after work very easily. double/double sessions of SURF N TURF.

and we get 4 months of snow cover. 4 season fatty bliss

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    living one mile down a dirt road from the surf and 1/4 of a mile from dozens and dozens of miles of trails is key. i can surf and ride before work………and after work very easily. double/double sessions of SURF N TURF.

and we get 4 months of snow cover. 4 season fatty bliss
    Doh! Sounds like the good life for a fatty owner...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    About 12 miles this morning in Wompatuck State Park here in Hingham, MA. A lot of rocks and shoots and a couple of nice trails along the water. Complete with a full endo when charging through a rock garden and this time the rock was bigger than Mutz's wheel. As always Mutz continued to roll stronger, better than its rider.

A great day to be out riding

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Inaugural ride on a XL Fatboy SE today. Did 6.5 miles of hilly singletrack and had a blast even with the boat anchor tubes.

Mega hot today also.

mtbr member
    I rode my Blackborow near my parent's house with my two kids and my dad (wife was on a weekend trip with friends). Nothing out of the ordinary. But as we were riding a nice singletrack (at slow speed cause my kids are 6 and 8) we found an area with lots of sand. It was not possible to ride with a regular bike cause it was very soft and deep. But with my Fat and 4.8 JJ, I had a blast. I was floating easily over the sand, gathering speed and climbing small hills 30-45 degres... Now I need to find a decent beach to ride cause it was so much fun.

Almost every year during summer, we usually spend 2 weeks in Magdalen Islands for vacation (beach, windsurfing and road biking). It's really far from home and expensive. Right now, I want to hit my head against the wall cause this year we're not going and there's like 300km of beach all within 1 hour drive... Amazing spot to fatbike on the sand.

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-ile.jpg
    Name:  ile2.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  5.6 KB
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2013 Intense Spider Comp
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow_Thyroid_Bike View Post
    Inaugural ride on a XL Fatboy SE today. Did 6.5 miles of hilly singletrack and had a blast even with the boat anchor tubes.

Mega hot today also.
    That is what I found. Even stock it is a blast so I have been holding off on getting any real mods.

mtbr member
    Left the house at 6am so I could hit the crucial spots at low tide. Rode 8 miles to the beach, 20 miles on the beach, and 7 back home.

All fat, all the time.
    32 miles of sweet Idaho singletrack. I am tired.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Doin 100km of dirt/gravel/singletrack/pavement tomorrow on my cooker maxi. Just thot i'd report now

Nite nite

mtbr member
    May 2015
    That is what I found. Even stock it is a blast so I have been holding off on getting any real mods.
    Well, to be fair I have a Bluto and hub in the mail :P. And XT brakes on my dining table. And tubeless supplies. I'd love to get down to 29lbs but honestly the bike isn't holding me back at this point - my lungs are.

mtbr member
    8.5 mi of trail riding. Nothing serious but a good ride.

banned
    Sep 2008
    60 miles. 30 miles of dirt/gravel road/rail beds, class 6, double and single track. 30 miles of pavement. 3.8 knards @ 12 psi. 4 hours on the nose.

great day for pedaling.

mtbr member
    60 miles. 30 miles of dirt/gravel road/rail beds, class 6, double and single track. 30 miles of pavement. 3.8 knards @ 12 psi. 4 hours on the nose.

great day for pedaling.
    Impressive, you sir are a horse.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by soarftb View Post
    Impressive, you sir are a horse.
    there were a good 350+ riders taking part in the raid ride today. mostly road/cross bikes, some mountain bikes and just 3 of us on fats. there were MANY "huh's?", and "you guys are animals", "impressive", "you guys are making us look bad".

so much fun. the 32 pound rigid cooker was like a perfect comfy couch. the best part was along a long stretch of narrow dirt/gravel/sandy rail bed. we could see some kitted (i roll with baggies and leg hair for evah) dudes up ahead putting down a good pace, so we chased the carrot at a steady 17 mph pace. we then upped it to 18mph, as we approached the dudes could hear the freight train fatty tires coming so i dropped it into my hardest gear (30-11) and we ripped right on by at about 20 and didn't let up till we knew they wouldn't try to counter

fatty tactics…..

mtbr member
    May 2015

great day for pedaling.
    Was this all down hill? That is some serious speed.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Was this all down hill? That is some serious speed.
    funneh. wasn't super climby, only 3000 feet of gain. lots of good punchy climbs.

here's the link to the event: RAID Rockingham | A LOCO Cycling site

my buddy john (he rode a fatboy expert) and i added a good 6+ miles of double and single track to the raid route but came out with the same mileage, so we actually had over 30 miles of dirt and just under 30 miles of pavement.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Good times Newmarketrog. Wish I were ready for the long rides, Post heart surgery. Just not there yet. I am doing 20-30 mile rides on the fatty tho.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Boxer's Trail, Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, PA. The trail was so named for the local pugilists that jog on it for training. About 8 miles or so door to door, nothing much, just testing the new bike out.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

banned
    Sep 2008
    a coupla pics from yesterday

john and i at the start

grinding up a punchy climb. roadie hunting

mtbr member
    I commuted today... 4.0" vs 23 profile tires; commute heaven.

Took off Bud up front, dang that Vee8 appears TINY comparatively.

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-img_1347.jpg
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

-Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

banned
    Sep 2008
    duplicate
    Last edited by newmarketrog; 06-08-2015 at 05:53 PM.

mtbr member
    24 1/2 mile beach ride, RT Seaview to Ocean Park, averaged 7.5 including 2 miles in soft stuff before the tide receded.

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    No pics because my camera is busted, but took the Fatboy on a day trip to NW Arkansas yesterday. Had an amazing ride at Slaughter Pen, Crystal Bridges, and Blowing Springs... Some of the sickest singletrack ive ridden!

banned
    Sep 2008
    keep it coming y'all, great stuff!!!

mtbr member
    9.6 miles of brilliant, winding, bermed out flow at Merrell trail. 1:16 ride time and 728 feet of gain! Haha, it's Michigan.

Enduro style, with some sessioning. I only cared about one DH flow trail:

" width="549">

That's 610 people looking up... at a phatbike! It warms my heart. Just don't time my climbs. ;-)

mtbr member
    took my 8 year old son out for a 6 mile ride today,we had a blast on mostly doubletrack.sure I could have gone twice as fast and twice as far alone,but one of the benefits of biking is being able to talk and ride,and 8 year olds like to talk .best ride in a long time if you have kids give it a try!thats how I rode my fatbike today

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    40 mile gravel Grinder yesterday here in Anchorage. I was one of two guys rolling on fatties. 10 miles of pavement to get to the 30 miles of rolling hills and dirt roads. It was really spectacular scenery that most of us civilians don't ever get to see/ride due to the course being on the local Air Force base. Thanks to Speedway Cycles for putting it together and feeding everyone Carne Asada tacos and beer afterwards. I knew when I bought my Corvus that I was buying a sweet bike from a great shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike180 View Post
    took my 8 year old son out for a 6 mile ride today,we had a blast on mostly doubletrack.sure I could have gone twice as fast and twice as far alone,but one of the benefits of biking is being able to talk and ride,and 8 year olds like to talk .best ride in a long time if you have kids give it a try!thats how I rode my fatbike today
    Same here. First real ride on the local trails with my 7 year old, not just a lets get out and see how he does kind of ride. And we didn't shortcut any of the climbs either, almost all singletrack. Truly one of the best rides I've ever had. He wanted to ride his fatbike, but it's just too big for trail use yet. He's a tallish 7 and getting by just fine on a 15 Boris for flatland stuff and riding around town. It's his preferred bike (yes, he already has a quiver of bikes to choose from) and he really hasn't spent much time on his 24" rocky mountain in a while - so much so that he felt "weird" on a skinny tire bike. But he adjusted quickly, and was flying. I really think that his riding a 35 lb fatbike around town the last 2 months has made for crazy strong bike legs for a 7 year old. The day has finally come that my son and I can hit the local singletrack together. What was disconcerting was when he jumped out of the saddle on a moderate climb and almost dropped me. Those little kids can accelerate!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    After 3 days of not riding, I drove to a nearby area and went for a spin around some trails near the beach, then rode out on the beach, then back to the trails, for a total of 5.2 miles on my Pugsly, with my gps showing 56 minutes of riding time.
    I phoned my dinner order in to a local "Fish Shack" and loaded up my bike, drove over to the Fish Shack and dinner (Cranberry Coast Chicken Cashew Salad, Crab/Cheese Melt sandwich, and a cup of clam chowder) was ready for pick-up when I arrived. I drove home and ate it, then I put my bike away.
    I would call that living the Dream!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Did 6.5 miles today. Damn it is getting hot in the desert!

Went to an area that used to have some great trails but new home builders closed a lot of it.

Need to go to the mountains an hour away for the rest of the season.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Went to collect some logs for the garden and then down to the local Indian restaurant to collect my takeaway tea. Both with the Pugsley and by Bob Yak trailer.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

Latitude: 57º 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Beach weekend w/ my 13 yr old

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-2015-06-13-19.11.11.jpgWhat ride did you do on your fat bike today?-pug.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Did a 42 mile loop...LIKE GOT DAMMMMMM MY AZZ HURT!!! All on asphalt with a boris x5. ........so any recommendations on seats or gel seat covers????

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by belikemike View Post
    Did a 42 mile loop...LIKE GOT DAMMMMMM MY AZZ HURT!!! All on asphalt with a boris x5. ........so any recommendations on seats or gel seat covers????
    Specialized phenom saddle. The end

With a family trip to the cape on tap and an early depart time i busted out my backyard hour of power loop from 530-630am before waking the fam and packing the car. Talk about an arduous hour. You get no breaks on this loop. Twas my intention when i created it. Torture

mtbr member
    May 2015
    6.1 miles above 8,000 ft.
    3 miles climb up on a service road and gnarly single track on the way down.

Even took a pic for the pic thread but don't see a way to add pics on the mobile site.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Snuck out midday and headed for higher elevation outside Las Vegas. Didn't go high enough as I was still in 90°+ temps and roasting in the sun.

Did 4.4 miles.

Biking and motorcycling are going to be little to none through summer. Finally getting old enough to not want to deal with the heat.

mtbr member
    I went out for a quick ride yesterday, and saw some people I know. I got roped into a 30 mile / 3000+ ft death March on my foes mutz. I'm happy to have survived the incident being that I had only planned on being out for 2 hours and only had one water bottle.

mtbr member
    Beach ride on a Cape Cod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Did 9 miles today. Had room for much more but there are other things go be done.

Was cruising the desert and spotted a vehicle on the side of the hill. Thought it was someone in a 4x4. Got closer and saw a full size sedan with hood raised and it looked trashed. Decided to check it out and started circling the bottom of the hill to catch the trail up and added double the mileage to the ride. Car was stolen, driven up desert rocky terrain and then vandalized, shot at and left.

Reported to police and finished the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    23.3 miles on my brand spankin' new Specialized Fatboy (in army green) that I just picked up today. Just did my normal around town ride through Slater Park in Pawtucket, RI and back. Before going on the maiden voyage I did the ghetto tubeless conversion and it went through without a hitch.

Man I love this bike! My regular whip is a built-up 10 year old Raleigh Grand Prix road bike, but last year I had bought a Specialized Rockhopper 29'er. The Rockhopper wasn't really what I was looking for so I ended up giving it to a deserving 14 yr old who's parents couldn't afford to buy him a bike. Thankfully he's already the same height as me so it fits him without a problem. For the riding style he has it's a perfect fit. For the stuff I wanted to do (beach and snow riding along with using the bike to lug some ) the 29'er wasn't cutting it.

I wasn't able to hit the beach today but even doing the same ride I did with the Rockhopper the difference was insane. I even went along some train tracks with a lot of loose pebble type rocks and sand that I couldn't easily navigate when I tried it with the 29'er; it wasn't even an issue with the fatboy. Tree roots? What tree roots. I hit the dirt trails near the paved bike path and the sure footedness of the bike was incredible.

The only downside to the bike is that it does get people's attention. I had at least seven people ask me about the bike since I left the bike shop with it. I had even more than that pointing and going "whoa! look at the tires on that thing!".

mtbr member

8 miles of beach...

mtbr member
    to the beach but not on it

mtbr member
    Buffalo Creek, CO
    Surly Krampus
    Salsa Bucksaw1 4"/B+

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    47 mile gravel road race yesterday.

All fat, all the time.
    What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-img_2015071213680.jpg

Graham mt. loop Idaho. Chunky goodness.

Fastest I've taken the bucksaw through the rock gardens, oh my goodness it was awesome.

turtles make me hot
    11 miles of sandy, technical singletrack.
    I like turtles

banned
    Sep 2008
    you guyz are killing me. family duty the last 2 days crushed all hopes and dreams of fatventure.

turtles make me hot
    you guyz are killing me. family duty the last 2 days crushed all hopes and dreams of fatventure.
    I've been there. That's exactly how I took up night riding.
    I like turtles

banned
    Sep 2008
    I've been there. That's exactly how I took up night riding.
    i hear ya. luckily i ride every day during the workweek in the morning or to work and back so that weekend riding isn't really necessary, but still......

mtbr member
    11 miles of sandy, technical singletrack.
    Where can I find such a treat NYrr? Out east, north shore, south shore? I'm getting bored of my wide open beach front and boosting the same old jetty rocks lol.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredMaster View Post
    Where can I find such a treat NYrr? Out east, north shore, south shore? I'm getting bored of my wide open beach front and boosting the same old jetty rocks lol.
    Sunday's ride was Trailview State Park in Woodbury. Ride North up to Stillwell, ride the loops, throw in the yellow trail and back down to Trailview. Great ride.
    OR ride South down the Greenbelt and hit Grundle at Sunnyside Blvd and Manetto Hills Park at Washington St in Plainview and continue South to Bethpage Park.
    My favorite ride is Glacier Ridge in Farmingville. It's about 12 miles of flowy singletrack. I ride my fatty there but it's really better suited for a faster bike.
    Stillwell woods in Woodbury is what I consider a fatbike park.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sunday's ride was Trailview State Park in Woodbury. Ride North up to Stillwell, ride the loops, throw in the yellow trail and back down to Trailview. Great ride.
    OR ride South down the Greenbelt and hit Grundle at Sunnyside Blvd and Manetto Hills Park at Washington St in Plainview and continue South to Bethpage Park.
    My favorite ride is Glacier Ridge in Farmingville. It's about 12 miles of flowy singletrack. I ride my fatty there but it's really better suited for a faster bike.
    Stillwell woods in Woodbury is what I consider a fatbike park.
    Thanks... I'm very familiar with those areas. I ride Stilwell often. Was hoping you were talking about something out on the east end. I've seen some pics of a fatventure on single track out in Montauk up on the bluffs, pics looked epic. Need to spend a day out there if I can get away from the fam for the entire day.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredMaster View Post
    Thanks... I'm very familiar with those areas. I ride Stilwell often. Was hoping you were talking about something out on the east end. I've seen some pics of a fatventure on single track out in Montauk up on the bluffs, pics looked epic. Need to spend a day out there if I can get away from the fam for the entire day.
    One of my friends has ridden that and he says it rocks. I have not ventured out that far yet.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    180miles and 15,000ft of ascent on Friday night into Saturday morning!

Shake down ride for a planned 200mile and 30,000ft ascent to be completed in 24 hours - the South Downs Way Double over a 100-mile trail across Southern England. I could do it quicker on a CX bike or MTB, but as far as I'm aware, this could be the first fatbike 'double'

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Damn, that's some ride!

Mine are much more modest, got up at 5am, made coffee, let out the chickens, then headed for our local gem and did few loops on our new flow trails. I had to use parts from two Blutos to get the Mutz back on the trail, but it was worth it!

It rained a bit today, so I may head for another couple laps tonight.

Next weekend we're heading for Mount St. Helens to ride Ape Canyon and the Plains of Abraham, the pumice sand is perfect riding for a fatty

Quote Originally Posted by dovebiker View Post
    180miles and 15,000ft of ascent on Friday night into Saturday morning!

Shake down ride for a planned 200mile and 30,000ft ascent to be completed in 24 hours - the South Downs Way Double over a 100-mile trail across Southern England. I could do it quicker on a CX bike or MTB, but as far as I'm aware, this could be the first fatbike 'double'

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I went sunny North Wales...Up the little Orme and onto Conwy and Tal-y-fan mountains. Fantastic time....Although I may have a little to much air in the tyres at some points

mtbr member
    I rode to and from work, 9.5 miles each way, some brutal hills. Attempted to do it with one gear, but finding the right gear was a challenge. One had me spinning really furiously on flats and downhills, the next one up wasn't right for climbing. I was bouncing a lot in both gears, despite having aired the tires up quite a bit (maybe not enough though?).

Overall it wasn't that much fun. I use one gear on the trails, and it's a blast.

turtles make me hot
    I rode Bradbury Mountain State Park in Maine this past weekend. It was AWESOME.
    I read on here that it's very rooty and it is. I had a few rim strikes on my rear wheel but they weren't awful.
    Some of that place is very flowy. I was able to go pretty fast.
    Thanks to Steve (?) for showing me around. I had about an hour to ride and all the trails he showed me were aces.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Steven's Pass Bike Park for my birthday

We rode everything including PBR. Lots and lots of air time, five hours without a break. No air pics, sorry, we were too busy riding and I don't do Go Pro.

Saturday we drove to Mt St. Helens and rode Ape Canyon to Plains of Abraham, pics to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-stevens-pass.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ape Canyon to the Plains of Abraham

MBA Epic: Ape Canyon to Plains of Abraham to Smith Creek
    Mileage: 25 or so
    Difficulty: Hard, lots of climbing, lots of descending, sun exposure, and no water resupply for ~20 miles, loose pumice makes downhill’s sketchy!!

This was trip number two for my birthday. We rode Stevens Pass on Friday, got a good night's sleep, then drove over to Mt St Helens and camped for the night. There's a fair amount of dispersed camping near the trailhead, which makes it convenient; got to bring your own water!

We start after 7am, group of four, two old guys and two young guys, one fat bike (me), the rest were on skinny tire bikes (suckers!!).

The ride starts in the trees, a young stand of pine, on a ridge looking over a wide outflow from the eruption.

The climbs is not to too technical or steep for the first couple miles, then progressively steepens as we entered the old growth. It's amazing to see what survived, huge trees only feet away from trees that burned to a crisp.

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-kimg1064.jpg

After some more climbing we finally emerged into the Plains. After thirty five years it is still very desolate, some bushes and flowers, few trees.

The riding was good across the plains, a few loose spots and rocky areas, but overall quite readable and pleasant. There is some climbing, and a few short walks, but in general the riding was good.

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-kimg1094.jpg

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-kimg1081.jpg

Reaching the "lunch log" we had views of the devastation wrought by the eruption, though we were still out of sight of Spirit Lake.

Even with all the devastation, the wildflowers were amazing!!

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-kimg1093.jpg

From the lunch spot we descend a ridge and some log ladders, the ride up a gravel road to the Spirit Lake Overlook.

From the overlook we rode a mile or so on asphalt to the downhill leading into Smith Creek. This was some sketchy riding with steep descents and tight turns on very loose soils, lots of walking/sliding/skidding/falling. We finally got to the creek and refilled bladders.

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-kimg1104.jpg

We had a hard time finding the trail from the creek crossing, so we did some sandy bottom riding which sucked, finally encountering the trail a half hour later. For sure, find the trail at the crossing!

From the crossing we had a few miles of flow riding through tree covered trails until we reached "the climb", four or so miles grinding up a steep gravel road. Fortunately the road was tree covered, but it was still a killer as we were tired from hours in the sun.

Great ride, truly an epic!

*I have no idea how a pic of my dog got in the post, I can't find it to zap it out so there he is. He did not go on the ride, it's way to hot and far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What ride did you do on your fat bike today?-kimg1041.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nice write-up, Nurse Ben. Hey did you used to frequent TTips?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sadly, I will admit.

Don't hold it against me

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanfan View Post
    Nice write-up, Nurse Ben. Hey did you used to frequent TTips?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    No worries. I was known as Briverny there.

mtbr member

What ride did you do on your fat bike today?

Was at waskesiu, sask.

Found this trail with strava, was cool, nothing technical at all.

I eventually found rooty hiking paths and had some more fun.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post

Was at waskesiu, sask.

Found this trail with strava, was cool, nothing technical at all.

I eventually found rooty hiking paths and had some more fun.
    Looks like a scene from a fictional novel. Awesome!

turtles make me hot
    Looks like a scene from a fictional novel. Awesome!
    Seriously... Like there's Hobbits hiding in there.
    I like turtles

Professional Crastinator
    The fatty is serving my purposes very well. Just short rides here and there. But it's my go-to bike for bad weather, easy cruises with the family, and it actually fixes ruts left by skinnier tires on soft trails (which is my every Wednesday trail survey ride).
    This morning it was a quick 7 miles or so to fix a couple ruts and drains. Started at 5:30 with the headlight blazing. Nice time to be out and watching the sun come up. Too dark buried in the forest for pix, though.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast