WAWE
    Jan 2004

What fatty tires do you guys like on dirt?

What fatty tires do you guys like for dirt use? Primarily dry SoCal stuff... hardpack, rocks, some sand, ball bearing dust over hardpack, etc.

I currently have, and like, Nate's but they're pretty sluggish and would like something a little faster rolling... thinking about Husker Du's, Knards, .......

TIA

ouch....
    Happy with my Hudu's in pretty much all conditions.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have both Nates and knards. Sounds like you need knards in your life or hudu's if you get a set.

The knards roll much better in the dry conditions but as soon as its wet forget it!!

mtbr member
    I am a Nate man all the way. I've been riding a lot of gravel over hardpack, glacial silt over hardpack, and mixed mud/hardpack and haven't been disappointed. They may roll a touch slower, but the only time I've broken them loose is on wet roots on uphills, and that'll break just about anything loose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    I am a Nate man all the way. I've been riding a lot of gravel over hardpack, glacial silt over hardpack, and mixed mud/hardpack and haven't been disappointed. They may roll a touch slower, but the only time I've broken them loose is on wet roots on uphills, and that'll break just about anything loose.
    This is typical, and in a nutshell here is the practical translation....(I own both)

If you ride solo, and don't have to keep up with others, you simply can't go wrong with Nate.
    Knard on the other hand is the smooth talking easy going all-round tire that doesn't quite work as hard but makes it so much easier to keep up with others on dirt.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    HuDus too
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

PRETENDURO
    Iíve got about 4,000 miles of riding on the Nates, havenít tried the Husker Dus yet. Iím currently running a Nate in front and an On-One Floater in back, and am impressed with the handling characteristics of the Floater. But yes, still need to try the Husker Dus someday.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Fat & Single
    On my second set of HuDu's, very soft and wear quickly, especially the rear. Im nearly 100% these days with 4.8" Buds either end on margelites. Love the cushy smooth ride, traction, float and wear is at least TWICE as good as the HuDu's.

Wouldn't mind trying Knards next time if I can get past not riding the Buds every ride.

The Buds are noticeably slower rolling but its a case of HTFU and pedal harder
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX