Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Chris Bling

Listen! What Fatbike related purchase made all the difference?

Hey everyone,

I was recently cruising up a local dry riverbed and was thinking to myself,

"What has been the one purchase (related to my fatty) that has had the biggest impact on my riding"

After much thought, I came to the conclusion that for me, it was having Surly Nate tires. They have really enhanced my ability to go anywhere/do anything. I can stand climb and not spin out, they are gnarly has all get out, and I am a better rider now. nuff said. The second to thes tires was a set of 777 mm wide handlebars.........

So I will turn it over to the forum

What has been the single best purchase you have made to improve your fatbike experience? I am excited to hear the responses

Here is a pic from my ride that day

What  Fatbike related purchase made all the difference?-img-20130404-00371.jpg
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 04-17-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    In order of most to least

New saddle. It's hard to ride on an uncomfortable saddle.

Nate made a difference. More grip for sure.

Getting rid of the way-too wide stock bars and replacing them with lighter, narrower bars that actually fit through tree gaps made a difference. Trails here have lots of runs right between two trees and those trees are usually really close together.

Hydraulic discs made a difference (less worry about brakes in general, no fiddly adjustments.)

replacing the entire drivetrain/shifters made a big difference in reliability and consistency.

Wider wheels made surprisingly little difference, though they were a lot lighter.

mtbr member
    Pogies. I commuted and was car free for years, always struggled with winter gloves. Too fluffy doesn't work with shifters and brakes, too thin and you hurt.....permanently in my case with a frostbite incident. So when I bought the pugs, I figured my snow & winter riding would be limited not with tires or clearance but because of my hands!
    Found pogies(well, ATV mitts since I had Jones Loops) and rode all winter long. Never had hand issues, went out in blizzard and sub zero conditions.
    Dumb I know, but my riding was most impacted by pogies!

mtbr member
    Moving to lightweight wheels/hubs (holy darryl's/salsa hubs to Marge Lites/616 hubs). I didn't see much difference in normal riding, but when it comes to acceleration and the big climbs, it's a night and day difference.

Chris Bling
    Wow, talk about some differences!

Keep them coming
    Affordable Custom Wheels

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    In the context of winter riding:

1) Fogtech fluid. I could suddenly see, not tear up, and wear something to shield my lower face! I don't use the wipes, and there are some cons with the stuff (twice weekly recoats, and it attracts debris). My old man claims 409 works just as well, haven't tried it.

2) Roomy pogies. I had been using Bar Mitts - I thought I liked them at the time. Then I tried some Moose Mitts. Still tough, but lighter feeling, pliable, more spacious innards, my fingers felt less constricted.

3) Craft Storm pants. Can handle a whole bunch of stuff from 0 F to 40 F.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Barr Mitts and Wolvhammers. Comfort and warmth are key to enjoying long winter rides. These two items have made cold hands and feet a thing of the past for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    From a stock 2011 Pugsley
    1) Marge Lites
    2) USE ShokPost
    3) CARVER Carbon fork

mtbr member
    1. Switched Grip shifters to SRAM XO. Wow. I can shift with ease.

2. wide platform pedals for better leverage.

3. changing handlebar width to get through trees.

Next best upgrade would be rims/tires..if I can sell enough crap to get 500-600 dollars. Shouldn't cost that much..geesh.

mtbr member
    1) moonlander with bud and Lou
    2) jones bar with ergon gips because of shoulder and elbow issues
    3) flats 24/7 allowed me to wear keen boots dry & warm while hiking a bike in winter.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bar mitts. I have cold hands that like to sweat. So gloves aren't really any fun, since they just get soaked. Bar mitts are amazing. Able to ride all winter without gloves, even below freezing.

Haven't made the purchase yet, but 120tpi tires (HuDu's - I have 27tpi larrys now) and drilling out the wheels should make getting things up to speed and staying there MUCH more enjoyable.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I rebuilt my entire front end all at once so it's not as clear to me:
    Adding Carver fork, 47mm Neon trials rim, Bones Trials hub, and HuskerDu 120tpi made a HUGE difference in handling.
    I just finished a 40K race at 326th out of 524 and I was the only person on a fatbike, most on cross bikes
    Last edited by roobydoo; 04-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member

Miles of smiles

This is going to sound like the obvious answer...but buying a fatbike was my best purchase. Previously I'd been riding year-round in Alaska on a fully-rigid bike with Snowcats and the widest whatever I could find since 1996/97...riding for fun, commuting, racing, bikepacking, grocery-getting...all on a WCF DBR with an alu Kinesis fork. Snowcats were the sh!t. Some time just after the first purple Pugslys were being sold, a buddy of mine (Arctic Cycles - Home Page) had been renting out Snowcat shod xt/xtr level bike to Ididtasport racers called and told me about these super-fat bikes that made a Snowcat look skinny...meh...I wasn't riding much then anyways, and my Snowcats worked pretty well enough when the trails cooperated. I kind of forgot about them until a couple months later when a guy that I had met once or twice rolled past my Captain and I who were outside talking about that weeks fire training evolutions. I thought to myself...wow, though are some really big tires...OH! that must be one of those bikes Billy told me about! So I waved Martin down and kind of asked a few questions, but mostly ogled his purple puglsy. He let my tool it around the training grounds for a minute or two...I did a bunny-hop or three, popped a wheely or two and passed her back to her lucky owner. I was really excited a week or five later to find out Billy had sold his fleet of Snowcat bikes and bought a handful of Pugslys...I was even more excited the next trip I took into Anchorage when I found out Billy had planned a day trip to the Lost Lakes trail, up and over the pass. It was fall at the bottom, with some muddy climbing that I normally would have had to walk...and it was a great time. It was an even better time when we reached the top of the pass and were greeted by 3-6" of snow. Not all of the trail at the pass was covered in snow, but the sections that were were a non-issue...In fact that was what struck my the most about these bikes...it made the entire ride a non-issue. I had no chamois, borrowed gloves and helmet, no Time pedals, generic seat and stem, etc, etc...but I had an incredibly good time...for the entire ride...It was my first real ride on a fatbike and I knew I was hooked...but I just couldn't get past the a-sym stays and offset wheel...it bent my brain looking at it...I held-out for a few months until Billy told me about a new bike that was symmetrical...I hadn't even fully crossed the threshold of Speedway Cycles when I saw Pete Bassinger's Fatback with black USChoppers hundies in a corner...with kind of a subdued golden-glow about the whole bike...Billy said "See! He just rode that thing to Nome!" I did my damndest not to do the whole squish-n-squeeze thing, but I knew I had to have one. A couple weeks later I bought a frame and started spec'ing parts. Four painful months later Billy finally had it built up and I had it paid off... Soon I discovered that this fatbike-thing was true, skinny rims are the devil, Greg was an architect previous to his career as a prophet...All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, So there was only one thing that I could do...Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long... Our Lady of Ghisallo built my bike...It's a love affair, mainly Sarah and my Fatback...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    I rebuilt my entire front end all at once so it's not as clear to me:
    Adding Carver fork, 47mm Neon trials rim, Bones Trials hub, and HuskerDu 120tpi made a HUGE difference in handling.
    I just finished a 40K race at 326th out of 524 and I was the only person on a fatbkie, most on cross bikes
    Well done My first race I placed 6th out of 20 folks. It was an enduro style event so it was fun to see the strange looks and hushed wispers Glad to see guys are racing on them!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Buying my wife a Pugsley made the biggest difference. Now she "gets it", and even if she can't ride with me, she wants me to go ride and have fun.

mighty sailin' man
    task specific tires

nothing else comes close
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    My Moonlander. It is my do everything bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What  Fatbike related purchase made all the difference?-912091_378262685622371_1976520060_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Going tubeless with UMA 90 rims.

Laramie, Wyoming
    The most significant would be:

1) Seat needed to match the other bikes.
    2) I hated the microshift thumb shifters. XT shifters immediately made it better.
    3) Bud and Lou (tubeless) allows for crazy snow rides.
    4) Crampon Ultimate pedals. Feet don't slip off when riding on snow.
    5) Dogwood pogies allow for comfortable cold weather riding.
    6) Revelate frame bag. The water bottles don't start freezing until below zero.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    This is going to sound like the obvious answer...but buying a fatbike was my best purchase.
    As a fellow Alaskan biker, I went through the same evolution of fatbikes with the same results. And so guess what? The single best recent fatbike purchase I made that has made the most difference is... an even fatter bike.

I am now running on hundies with Bud and Lou. Rarely am I working significantly harder than others on hardpack and those times when there is a significant difference in exertion levels, I am floating while they are plowing a furrow with 4" tires and 80mm rims.

That said, going uberfat required more than a simple rim and tire purchase. So I guess mabe I should say fatter tires, rims, frame, and mwod cranks.

Moderator Moderator
    Good lights, so i could use the fatbike for my trail commute, not just on weekends during daylight. My office has since moved, but it was the best year and a half of commuting and riding.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=damnitman;10327659]This is going to sound like the obvious answer...but buying a fatbike was my best purchase.

+1 for sure. After riding a few different bikes at the Sweaty Yeti, I was totally sold on the Fatback. I contacted Greg and spec'd out a steel frame. Best bike I've ever had. Ride it year round. Riding rigid on single track beats my 45 year old bones up, so I broke down and got a Mendon Lefty. Really smoothed out the ride. Bought a Foxwear Jacket, Long Sleeve Shirt and Pogies. Best clothing purchases for cycling yet. So, in order of Best to Just About Best
    1. Steel Fatback
    2. Mendon Lefty
    3. Foxwear E Vap Jacket, Power Dry Long Sleeve Shirt, Pogies
    Steel Fatback

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nates front and rear was tops for sure.
    Sram drivetrain in second - dat 1:1 actuation!

mtbr member
    Ergon grips. Did 45 miles on gravel the other day with zero shoulder issues. Before the switch rides longer than 25 left me stiff and sore. Yes I'm old.

My second favorite change was going to trigger shifters on the Moonlander.
    "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." - Surly Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My best changes are playing with tire pressures. Nothing can be more fun than having your pressure dialed when playing on snow, ice, and mud.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast