mtbr member
    Aug 2011

What fatbike to buy?

This will be my first fat bike and around here I will be the only riding this kind of bike (probably in a whole country) From reading this forum it is obvious that surly is the most reputable company and their krampus bike is probably pretty good but...
    I absolutely hate the green color. Is there any other reputable brand I can look at? I searched google and found like 2-3 more brands but they seem to be very small (almost in house) frame manufacturers and I don't wanna go that way, because I am afraid something will go bad with the frame or something,I would like to go with a reputable manufacturer, please advise. Oh and by the way I would prefer 29 inch

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    From your lack of knowledge of the Fatbike world... you need to stop searching Google and start searching this forum. I believe you are in Germany so you are not that far from the Sandman guys... might be worth a look... although I'd advise against calling them "almost in house" and questioning their reputation. I am in the process of ordering a Sandman Hoggar Ti and I currently own a 9:zero:7 and they were fantastic to deal with... I love that they are a small company.
    Cheers
    FatMuz

mtbr member
    Don't get a fatback or 907 they make green ones too

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    whats the big deal with me not liking the green color? does it make me unwelcome in this forum?

...big and slow
    Did you consider Salsa? They are sort of a sister company to Surly. Very solid reputation. I suppose they do have bits of green on many of their fatties this year but some don't. You might be able to pick up one from last year if you look in the right places. Lots of blue frames available out there if you want to build up your own bike. Aside from color selection, I'd consider the intended purpose for your fatbike as they all do have their unique riding qualities and features. I suggest taking a bit more time to search through the plethora of info on this forum before pulling the trigger. So much good information you can use to make an informed decision as it sounds like a test ride is out of the question where you are.

Best of Luck and welcome to the Fat Family!
    Chromey

Geordie biker
    Have a long look through the bike ride threads and make a note of what models take for fancy.

There is a lot of fatbike builders now!
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    madhead,

Before I say anything, welcome to the forum and I hope you get some good information from the many experienced members here. I think there's some head scratching about the issue with green. Color has nothing to do with the fit and function of the bike. Anyway...

If you have questions about the bike, call the manufacturer. I have a Fatback and can only give positive feedback about my experience with Greg and his employees. If I had questions, they answered them without any condescending attitude. I have the steel frame, which is made in the USA by Waterford, a reputable frame manufacturer that has it's origins with Schwinn. Haven't had an issue with the frame and the bike's awesome.

As Chromehorn stated, read through these forums and talk to the members. I spent quite a bit of time reading these forums and checking out the manufacturers websites and materials. Figure out what you want to do with our bike too. I use mine for everything. Singeltrack, fire road, street on occasion and can't wait until it snows here in Wisconsin.

Hope this helps and welcome.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the Fat Bike forum!

There are several reputable manufacturers as already stated. Many people prefer to buy a good frame and do the build themselves in order to get the exact components they want. The included link will show you some of them and gives accurate details of the frames and components used. You can view the builds and if you have questions about any of them I know forum members love to answer PM's (private messages), about their builds. I do it all the time.

Bike specs with pics

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by madhead View Post
    I searched google and found like 2-3 more brands but they seem to be very small (almost in house) frame manufacturers and I don't wanna go that way, because I am afraid something will go bad with the frame or something,I would like to go with a reputable manufacturer, please advise. Oh and by the way I would prefer 29 inch
    From one newbie fatbiker to another, welcome to the world of fat. I gleaned a LOT of information from this forum prior to making my decision, so definitely suggest surfing around. Couple of things...

a) when you say you prefer 29 inch, keep in mind the diameter of most all fatbike tires is 29", despite riding on 559mm rims. The Krampus is actually more than 29" since it rides on 700mm rims with 3" tires
    b) in addition the Krampus it's not quite a "fatbike" in the traditional sense (by Surly's own admission). Tires are 3" vs 4 or 5" for traditional fatbikes....so, long story short, you should give some thought as to what you're actually looking for...a larger diameter-wheeled bike, or a fatter-tired bike?
    c) there are a few more options out there beyond Surly, 907 and Fatback. As Chromehorn says, Salsa is one. You've also got On One entering the market.
    d) Colors...the Pugsley is available in yellow now (and red, I think). Salsa's Mukluks are available in Orange, White and Black

I decided on a Salsa Mukluk because I found the geometry better suited to my riding preferences, and I wanted an aluminum frame. Their pricing is very competitive, and the orange color is to die for, to boot. Good luck with your decision!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madhead View Post
    whats the big deal with me not liking the green color? does it make me unwelcome in this forum?
    Looks like the muk2 is out, awful lotta green there.