mtbr member
    Jan 2008

What to do against mud ?

What to do against mud ?-dsc_4113.jpg

What to do against mud ?-dsc_4114.jpg

What to do against mud ?-dsc_4116.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    And usable as a BBQ afterwards, saw this in action in France and it seemed to work pretty good. Best bang for the bucks

Another good ghetto method is to find one of those long Tupperware plastic containers or zip lock containers and cut out the bottom a fender-like shape. I actually did this for on my seat tube right at the bottom bracket and up... has been keeping the BB area much cleaner.

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Another good McGyver method is to find one of those long Tupperware plastic containers or zip lock containers and cut out the bottom a fender-like shape.
    fixed that up for ya...
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

Nemophilist
    Man...

What did McGyver ever do to deserve that?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Smash Mode: ON
    Your wife is gonna be pissed!
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Man...

What did McGyver ever do to deserve that?
    I'm not entirely sure but I'm led to believe we shouldn't mention the ghetto at all here...it's disrespectful or sumthin'.
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

Nemophilist
    ... or sumthiin.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    ... or sumthiin.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bikes are f*@kin awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry op, but u need to rip that thing off or bike and fab something up that is a little more respectable. Plus, that would be pretty loud with mud hitting it.

It would be one thing if u were riding a cheap walgoose, but that sandman deserves better!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    that's a lot of air drag

Nemophilist
    OK...

I'll say it. An underlying point here for some of us (I hope more than just me) is that an inordinate number of our beloved Fatbikes are festooned with the most God awful looking debris control devices imaginable (I can't bring myself to call them fenders). Even a couple of the popular items available for sale, while effective, perhaps, are truly hideous. No, no one wants to stifle the inspiration behind creative endeavor, nor kick a guy who needs a solution in a pinch (like at a race or something). Yes, you can say that you don't give a rip what it looks like, and OK for you then. However, once the immediate need has passed, take a look and see if it is really something you want to expose Mother Nature and your fellow riders to. Give a thought for them, and their sensibilities. Help preserve the inherent style of Fatness, and the beauty that so many of us use our Fatties to visit.

You may be stuck in granny, huffing and puffing along at a walking pace. Can't climb the slightest grade. But, if you have nothing else, at least you can have some style!

For sure... when there are fenders for $18 out there... homemade ones seem silly.

PDW Dave's mud shovel for the win (IMO). I have them both front and rear. The little ziplock ghetto fender I made for behind the BB was because I couldn't find one from a manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't think the OP is from the States (no direct access to fancy "pretty" fat fenders), they were just working with what they had, maybe you find it ugly maybe you don't. In the end its not your bike so don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bevalhalla View Post
    I don't think the OP is from the States (no direct access to fancy "pretty" fat fenders), they were just working with what they had, maybe you find it ugly maybe you don't. In the end its not your bike so don't worry about it.
    Lots of people posting on here are not from the states... and no one is hating on him... hey look... we are on a forum where things are discussed... and people give opinions... WEIRRRRD!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I myself modified the pdw front fender to mount lower towards my Bob and crank area. I find it helps keep a lot of junk off the drive train. The only thing I don't like about it is that when u crash it usually gets all twisted up.

PRETENDURO
    I love it: $2,000.00 fatbike frame, $1.79 barbecue drip pans!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Why would anyone do this?

Mud is cool, and fenders are cheap - plus that BBQ pan is clean, something is wrong with that picture...

This is how a dirty bike with fenders looks: (and yes it was a sanctioned race, I wasn't recklessly mucking the trails)
    What to do against mud ?-2013-04-14-16.36.41.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This one was 5, it's real german war aluminum from the good old days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endorfin View Post
    This one was 5, it's real german war aluminum from the good old days.
    But they lost, so you need to upgrade it to finest British cast iron.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just eat yer mud. It's good for ya.

mtbr member
    That bike isn't even muddy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That bike has colored spokes. Colored spokes, people!

PRETENDURO
    There are a few companies offering coloured spokes in a variety of colours. Sure, they cost a bit more than regular spokes, but I think they make a person 10% faster on the climbs.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast