mtbr member

What BB bearings are in a Moonlander?

I just got my Moonlander a few weeks ago, and after reading through posts on this forum, it seems that Surly has not always done a great job with choice of bottom brackets or in the prep of them. I thought I've read that some people have discovered a complete lack of grease in the bearing. How can this be? I have never seen a sealed cartridge bearing void of grease.

Anyway, upon pulling the crank off of mine, I found it had Enduro bearings, but no inner sleeve. As far as I know, the Enduros are good bearings, but I guess I need to order myself a sleeve now. So I'm wondering what other Moonie owners here have as factory bearings, and did you also have no sleeve?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Laramie, Wyoming
    I don't think any of them have sleeves from the factory. I think that more of the problem lies in the lack of grease and the quality of the grease than whether they have sleeves or not. I've found moisture/water inside sleeves. More important is to maintain a bike that is exposed to water, moisture, or snow with a good quality grease (with or without a sleeve). Unfortunately with a Moonlander, that means it needs that maintenance before leaving the store for the first time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    I don't think any of them have sleeves from the factory. I think that more of the problem lies in the lack of grease and the quality of the grease than whether they have sleeves or not. I've found moisture/water inside sleeves. More important is to maintain a bike that is exposed to water, moisture, or snow with a good quality grease (with or without a sleeve). Unfortunately with a Moonlander, that means it needs that maintenance before leaving the store for the first time.
    As I said, the bearings that came in mine are Enduro. From what you're saying, am I to believe that Surly is popping the seals and removing the grease from the bearings before they install them? ...and maybe even replacing it with inferior grease?

Are you now running your BB bearings without any sleeves because you have found water within the sleeve?

Soooo...what kind of bearings are in your Moonlander?
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    As I said, the bearings that came in mine are Enduro. From what you're saying, am I to believe that Surly is popping the seals and removing the grease from the bearings before they install them? ...and maybe even replacing it with inferior grease?

Are you now running your BB bearings without any sleeves because you have found water within the sleeve?

Soooo...what kind of bearings are in your Moonlander?
    Mark,

It is my personal opinion that the sleeve does nothing to protect the bearings but is a cool gadget that is sold in hopes that it makes a difference. I threw the factory bearings away and put in a Chris King. As for the grease, the Enduro bearings don't have the grease that I prefer and think works well.

mtbr member
    Went through several sets of bearings myself before switching to Chris King and utilizing their grease injection tool. I also found that one must make absolute sure your MWOD crank is assembled and set up properly or it WILL destroy bearings regularly and often. In my opinion the sleeve has kept condensation and moisture out of my bearings, especially during the cold, winter months. I also use a cover on my slotted leather saddle and neoprene cover on my seat post clamp during the winter months to alleviate melting snow/ice from draining and collecting in my bottom bracket.

One has to do what they feel is best, but after 6 months of frustration, destroyed bearings I have ridden problem free for 9 months now. "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" in my case.