mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Waxing Carbon Frame With Matte Finish?

Another "salt exposure" question. Is it a bad idea to apply a wax finish to a carbon frame with a matte type finish? The goal here is simply to repel moisture & salt, not to make the finish shine.

The bike in question is a new Beargrease carbon. Waxing the rims has done a great job of keeping them mostly snow & ice free & I am wondering if doing the same thing would be a no-no with this type of finish.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Test a bit on the inside of the fork or bottom of bb?

mtbr member
    All my bikes I wax. Steel, Ti, Alum, Carbon. Waxing a carbon frame Matte shouldnt be any different then waxing a 3k or 12k gloss finish, that mat finish is still a finishing. If it was bear carbon fibers it wouldn't be ride-able. The bike should have been finished with a Matte finishing clear coat. If anything it will have a bit of a gloss to the Matte but with wear back to bear look. Just dont rub to hard as Matte carbon will show up really easy.

But honestly using simple green or windex will clean the salt right off and not hurt the frame. Its carbon so the snow and salt really cant eat away at the frame and cause rust.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Worst that could happen is that there might be very small surface pores in the carbon that would collect the wax, leaving behind tiny white dots in the finish. It could happen.

...That said, your frame is well engineered, Salsa probably already encountered this.

I'd go with what Flying_Scotsman suggested.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    But honestly using simple green or windex will clean the salt right off and not hurt the frame. Its carbon so the snow and salt really cant eat away at the frame and cause rust.
    Thanks. Again, my goal is to keep ice & snow from building up on the frame during a ride & not so much protection. Not too worried about the carbon but I don't want the frame to turn a goofy color in a few years
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Well like others said try a small part on the bottom bracket but a Matte finish is done by a coat. I had a Matte carbon post and would wax that as well just to keep it dust, sweat, grime free and it didnt hurt the finish, It did make it look glossy but when I buffed it out it would go to its matte finish

The post was a cheap Chinese seat post but I didn't have any problems with it. I am sure your frame has the same coat if not better!