mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Water getting into Mukluk 2 BB

I have a 2012 Mukluk 2 I have replaced the bb bearings once in under a year of owning it. So now I take out the seals and re-pack the bearings with grease about once a month what a pain, there is always have a lot of water in them. Drilled small holes in the frame at the very bottom of the bracket that helped some. This time when I had the crank out I plugged both side and pressurized it with air to see where the water was getting in. I was unpleasantly surprised to find every hole in the rear of the frame was open to the bb. Even the holes that are in the middle braces of the chain and seat stays which I thought where there to attach fenders to. So I plugged all of them with a small amount of silicone we will see if that helps keep the water out.

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I have had the same problem with several bikes of mine.
    Before, I always put away the bike on its wheels when I was not using it. Now I always make sure that I lift the front wheel so the BB is above the rear axle. The water in the frame can run to the rear axle now and there are 2 little holes where it can get out. Sometimes I use a compressor. So far I haven't had any problems anymore.
    My bike is never the problem and can always be faster than I can...
    http://www.4estbikers.nl

Smash Mode: ON
    The major holes that send water and debris to the bottom bracket are both stay bridges and the top of the seat post. Sounds like you have the bridge holes plugged, so I would suggest plugging your post too. I slid a short, tight roll of closed cell foam up from the bottom. Drilling the shell was a good idea, I shielded the hole on mine by taping a short piece of straw cut in half over the hole. Last but certainly not least, put in some of the phil wood submersible bearings; 2012 muk2 uses PWX86. When I ordered them they were not on the website so you may have to call. Even if something still manages to get in the shell it won't matter. Mine have been trouble free for almost a year now and they have been through hell and back. They literally are submersible; trust me, I know!
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by aandegrens View Post
    Now I always make sure that I lift the front wheel so the BB is above the rear axle. The water in the frame can run to the rear axle now and there are 2 little holes where it can get out.
    Great idea!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I knew about the seat post being a place for water to get to the BB which I had plugged but never thought about all the holes in the frame draining down to the BB. Sounds like storing your bike with the front wheel up is a great idea. I think I will open the holes in the back of the chain stays and store with the front wheel up. Thanks

If your BB shell is drilled, what is the point of storing it with the front tire up?

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    On my bike the water will not get out on itself. The holes are just to small.
    Putting up the front wheel will remove the water at least from the BB because the holes to the chainstay are about 10mm.

Hmmm, why not just make the hole bigger? I think mine is 1/8" and it drains fine.

The real trick is those submersible bearings tho. They really make water (or sand, or mud, or dirty socks, or...) in your BB shell a moot point; at least in an aluminum frame like a mukluk. The guys at my LBS kept a set in a glass of water for a week just to see how 'submersible' they really are. According to them it had absolutely no ill effect.

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    I'm not going to make hole's bigger on a carbon frame.
    The disadvantage is also that water can get in easier.

What relevance does this have to OP's Mukluk? And yes, I would absolutely drill a hole in a carbon frame if there was good reason and I fabricate with composites all the time.

Sorry man, I try not to openly disagree with people on forums, but what you are suggesting is ridiculous.

www.4estbiker.nl
    Oct 2012
    That's your opinion.
    I'm just explaning how easy I solved my problem about rusty BB bearings.
    Just putting my front wheel up was enough for my bike. No drilling.
    I wonder what the manufacturer will say when there is a problem with your frame.

Agreed, my opinion. The manufacturer would certainly have a problem with the hole if my frame failed in that area. But it won't; just like the thousands, if not millions, of other bike frames with a hole there from the factory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm currently building a new Necro-pug; the pug has a pre-drilled hole in the BB. That said I'm also debating injecting closed cell foam into the chain and seat stays to keep out water on top of the frame saver preventative measures for this build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChad View Post
    I'm currently building a new Necro-pug; the pug has a pre-drilled hole in the BB. That said I'm also debating injecting closed cell foam into the chain and seat stays to keep out water on top of the frame saver preventative measures for this build.
    The urethane expanding foam could make removal of the BB nearly impossible, typically you cut it to remove it.
    Unless everything it could touch was severely greased first so it couldn't stick to anything.
    Plus it makes a real mess, you would have to be extremely careful attempting this.

mtbr member
    I have also installed the PW bearings in my Mukluk 2. Creaking noises are gone and so are my BB issues.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does PW do 170 or 190 hubs too? Are they more easily serviced that Hope?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Water in bb on mukluk2

Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    I have a 2012 Mukluk 2 I have replaced the bb bearings once in under a year of owning it. So now I take out the seals and re-pack the bearings with grease about once a month what a pain, there is always have a lot of water in them. Drilled small holes in the frame at the very bottom of the bracket that helped some. This time when I had the crank out I plugged both side and pressurized it with air to see where the water was getting in. I was unpleasantly surprised to find every hole in the rear of the frame was open to the bb. Even the holes that are in the middle braces of the chain and seat stays which I thought where there to attach fenders to. So I plugged all of them with a small amount of silicone we will see if that helps keep the water out.
    My mukluk2 did this. First time after 200 miles I removed ext bb to degrease bearings and noticed water around bb. I drilled a hole in frame under bb. No probs so far with 850 miles on bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The holes help, but the best thing i got rid of the E13 crank and went to a RaceFace with the sleeve it has worked great.