Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

water bottle and xs-frames?

The better-half loves her new xs 907, except for the lack of room for the water bottle.
    Any better solutions then under the bottom tube?
    She won't give up the Bonti fork, so a moonie or salsa fork is out of the question.

Moderator Moderator
    Is there room for a small bottle and a side-loader cage? I use this one on my small Fatback.

Universal Cycles -- Elite Ciussi Side Entry Cage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails water bottle and xs-frames?-side.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Or maybe one of those twisting mounts? like this;
    Topeak X15 Plastic Bottle Cage Adapter | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Oh, I tried one of those too. It did work but I found it a bit rattle-y for MTB use, not as sturdy as I expected from Topeak.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    The better-half loves her new xs 907, except for the lack of room for the water bottle.
    She won't give up the Bonti fork, so a moonie or salsa fork is out of the question.
    Ha! Funny topic, and timely, since I noticed a lot of us have gifted our loved ones with XS 907s this holiday season.

Last week, I was looking for the same thing. I ran across the 12oz thermal insulated Polar bottles on sale somewhere for $5.99 on Amazon. I figured regular smaller bottles are 20oz, so the 12oz should fit fine, and I ordered 4. Welp, I went to my LBS and they had one in stock, so I picked that one up as well. Got home, and DOH! it doesn't fit. Now I have four more coming to me in the mail. I guess my lil nephews get another gift.

So I am too still on a quest for smaller bottles. I also have one of those side loaders somewhere in the basement, but like someone else said, they're rattley. I also am not sure if they go down low enough, i.e., the top of the bottle will still hit the cables that run underneath the top tube. I don't think I want one of those mounts that angle it outwards slightly. I don't want the bottle hitting her feet or legs.

I used to have a really small one (that wasn't a kid one) from Elite...I think. That bottle is long gone. If I find one that works, I'll post, and y'all do the same

EDIT: Here are some from Elite. They're 18oz, but I'm not sure if the small one I used to have is the same as these: Elite Water Bottles
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    camel back!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    camel back!
    Ha, too easy. She has a few already that she regularly uses. However, she doesn't always want to use it. So the quest for the little bottle continues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Elite made a small one years ago, called the Patao I believe. I have one somewhere. I will do a little looking later in the day and get back to you.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Ha, too easy. She has a few already that she regularly uses. However, she doesn't always want to use it. So the quest for the little bottle continues.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

ent
    Sep 2011
    We havent found a good solution to this either for my girl friend's 907. We ended up putting a cage on her enabler fork but I think another alternative would be to get a cage for the seatpost and put a bottle there.

or this?

Karma Vampire
    Here is a post I recall on the same topic, only the bike is different:
    water bottle solution for small frame?

The OP's wife went with the Revelate Mountain FeedBag solution and seemed happy with it. The one benefit for winter riding is that it should help delay/prevent bottle freeze. Just watch out for paint/anodization scuffing. A large bottle will eject if the draw string isn't cinched.

I also use Specialized seat post clamps. It works pretty good but I lost a bottle or two. The bottle can get hammered with dirt/mud/snow. The seat post location works best when you need a third location. Also it only works with 27.2 and 30.9 mm posts. Lately, for me, it cradles a spare fat tube.

I just picked up a KingCage Stem cap mount. I got it mostly to stick a battery in. My bar light cable wasn't long enough to reach my Muk's down-tube cage. Similar to the Feedbag as bottle access is super easy. I would say in a good crash it might get mangled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    camel back!
    Ditto

mtbr member
    A guy I nearly bought a bike from, his lady was short like me. They put her bottle mount under the downtube instead of ontop(like typical bottles are). They used pipe clamps on a regular bottle cage and routed the clamp bands thru the existing bottle mounts(so they won't twist or move when you grab the bottle).
    Downside is that the bottle acts like a mud guard, so be sure it has a cap on it.

If it were me, I'd put one on my handlebars. Handy, no worries about fit, and wont get caked with mud. And they sell mounts, so no DIY.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    She uses a seatbag and not a lot of post is sticking out of her frame, so mounting a bottle to her post or under her seat rails (like the triathlete mounts) are out.

Yes, there is a bottle cage mount underneath the downtube, but the bottle gets all mucky, but more importantly, she's willing to try tech stuff. An ill-timed lift over a log, then a clunk on the bottle and cage could be ugly to the frame...although without the cage it'd prolly be ugly anyway

And I do know about bottles with a built in cap, such as Nalgene, to prevent muckiness.

I also have a Mountain Feedbag. She sometimes uses it on her other bikes, but she doesn't like the position there because she feels like it gets in her way sometimes. Same with handlebar mounted cages.

One other thing I just thought of is that I used to have the Velocity Velo bottle cage which allowed you to slide it up or down to mount it higher or lower than normal, but I don't have it anymore. I know King will custom make cages so that the mount is either higher or lower than normal, but that's on the pricier end of this quest. The reason I mention these is because with the cage I used, it looked like it could go lower, which would give me more room on top...

These are all good and viable solutions. I do appreciate the alternative suggestions and could be helpful for others reading the thread. Thanks all, but I'm still gonna try to figure out the smaller bottle in the standard spot solution

Shoo, I think the bottle you mention is the one I had. If you find one or a few, ping me please, and thanks! Also, if anyone knows where I can find one of those old Velocity Velo cages, that'd be cool.

mtbr member
    If she's willing to use a tool bottle instead of a seatpack then a double, saddle-mounted bottle cage would hold the tool bottle AND a water bottle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    She uses a seatbag and not a lot of post is sticking out of her frame, so mounting a bottle to her post or under her seat rails (like the triathlete mounts) are out.

Yes, there is a bottle cage mount underneath the downtube, but the bottle gets all mucky, but more importantly, she's willing to try tech stuff. An ill-timed lift over a log, then a clunk on the bottle and cage could be ugly to the frame...although without the cage it'd prolly be ugly anyway

And I do know about bottles with a built in cap, such as Nalgene, to prevent muckiness.

I also have a Mountain Feedbag. She sometimes uses it on her other bikes, but she doesn't like the position there because she feels like it gets in her way sometimes. Same with handlebar mounted cages.

One other thing I just thought of is that I used to have the Velocity Velo bottle cage which allowed you to slide it up or down to mount it higher or lower than normal, but I don't have it anymore. I know King will custom make cages so that the mount is either higher or lower than normal, but that's on the pricier end of this quest. The reason I mention these is because with the cage I used, it looked like it could go lower, which would give me more room on top...

These are all good and viable solutions. I do appreciate the alternative suggestions and could be helpful for others reading the thread. Thanks all, but I'm still gonna try to figure out the smaller bottle in the standard spot solution

Shoo, I think the bottle you mention is the one I had. If you find one or a few, ping me please, and thanks! Also, if anyone knows where I can find one of those old Velocity Velo cages, that'd be cool.
    there are tons of bottle mount options out there... mounts that let you put cages on the handlebars, on the headset top cap (kingcage makes one)...

framebag with camelbak bladder in it is another option...

to solve the problem, you'd have to tell (us) where is off limits and where is allowable and narrow it down

g

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    The saga ended last night when we stopped by the LBS last night and I saw this on the wall:

This yellow bottle was the smallest one I have seen recently, if ever. I eagerly showed my wife, she clicked her tongue and said, "At that point, why bother?"

For me, I don't drink a lot, so it actually might work for most of my rides. However, it is tiny and definitely would look funny on my bike. Most rides not in the middle of the summer, I usually drink half of a regular size bottle (like the one in blue in the pic) on 10-15 mile rides.

For those of you that are still looking for the smallest bike bottle evar, it's the Bontrager Sideswipe bottle and cage and it retails for $9.99. Please note, I didn't try it on her bike, so I can't say with 100% certainty it will work, but it is teensy, and I'm guessing it might.