ouch....
    I like it!!
    & you might be able to go skiing still
    Riding.....

Bite Me.

Warm Riding Boots on the Cheap - Really Cheap

So I'm a cheap b****rd. I admit it. I also like riding clipless. $300 for a pair of Lakes? No thanks. There had to be a better (or at least a cheaper) way. There was. The boots are NNN Rossignol X5 Nordic ski boots picked up on the cheap from my local recycled sports shop. 2 sizes larger than normal.

Half an hour and one beer with the dremel and a cordless drill and voila - warm, dry, reasonably stiff winter riding boots. I needed four slightly longer bolts to mount the cleat due to the added sole thickness. I used an old pair of cleats from a beater pair of shoes and the mounting hardware. Measure about four times before drilling please to get the cleat position right. The soles are soft, so it helps to put washers or a thin metal plate between the cleat and the boot sole. That way the cleat doesn't sink into the sole and make it hard to engage the pedal. If you wanted a really stiff sole you could glue a plastic footbed to the inner boot once the cleat mounting plates are in place. NNN soles are best as they have good lugs and don't require much dremeling, and the gap keeps the cleat pretty much flush with the rest of the sole. The biggest PITA was actually getting the cleat mounting plates into the holes on the inside of the boot after drilling. More beer please.

Cost?? Boots - $35, 4 stainless bolts - $1.98, old cleats and hardware? $0. Six pack of good beer - $9.00. Maybe ugly, but very warm, and I had money left over to by a Husker Du and BFL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warm Riding Boots on the Cheap - Really Cheap-boot-1.jpeg  

Warm Riding Boots on the Cheap - Really Cheap-boot-2.jpeg  

Warm Riding Boots on the Cheap - Really Cheap-boot-3.jpg  

Warm Riding Boots on the Cheap - Really Cheap-boot-4.jpeg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Nice work mcguyver!! Let us know how hey hold up.I have the cheaper pair of Lakes,and although they keep my feet reasonably warm the neoprene is tearing after 1 season of use.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    Nice work mcguyver!! Let us know how hey hold up.I have the cheaper pair of Lakes,and although they keep my feet reasonably warm the neoprene is tearing after 1 season of use.
    So far so good. I did a 6 hour ride last Friday and 2 or 3 since then for shorter distances and they are holding up great. I cut the feet out of an old pair of neoprene waders and stuck those under the footbeds (feetbeds? feetsbed? Proudfeet?) to add some warmth. Very happy so far.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I like it. Almost did the same thing about 5 years ago, but couldn't find the boots cheap enough. I am going to have to watch for sales so I can make a pair for when the Lakes fall apart. Thanks for posting this.
    Btw. Did you elongate(slots) for adjustment. How about any reinforcement for the sole?
    Last edited by brianjt; 01-18-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: question

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianjt View Post
    I like it. Almost did the same thing about 5 years ago, but couldn't find the boots cheap enough. I am going to have to watch for sales so I can make a pair for when the Lakes fall apart. Thanks for posting this.
    Btw. Did you elongate(slots) for adjustment. How about any reinforcement for the sole?
    No slots, just holes for the bolts. I wanted to leave as much material there as possible, so it's important to get your cleat placement right the first time. I made a cardboard template from my summer shoes as a guide. You could reinforce the sole by gluing a thin stiff sheet of material trimmed to match the inner foot bed. I may eventually do this to add some rigidity to the sole, but the boots are pretty stiff already and good for walking/pushing the bike. The thinsulate insulation is quite warm in these. There are lots of these style boots on eBay or CL.

Recovering couch patato
    WOWWWW!

I've been pondering this FOR YEARS. Thinking a new pedal would need to be designed. I want it for winter triathlon, to save one shoe change.
    Turns out, the ski binding needs to be changed :-)

Especially Skate boots are really comfy and warm. Not idea for riding, but combi boots should be better.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
    WOWWWW!

I've been pondering this FOR YEARS. Thinking a new pedal would need to be designed. I want it for winter triathlon, to save one shoe change.
    Turns out, the ski binding needs to be changed :-)

Especially Skate boots are really comfy and warm. Not idea for riding, but combi boots should be better.
    You could easily dremel out a small section of the binding plate to create clearance for the cleat without affecting the integrity of the binding. Seems like it would be no brainer for multi-sport events. I tried on a few skate boots but the stiff upper cuff was to restrictive for biking - the combi boots are much better for riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Go figure, it took a retired Homer to get this done! Good work Cutty.

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    Go figure, it took a retired Homer to get this done! Good work Cutty.
    Now that I have retired from all the Frankenbiking and rocker swaps I need to fill my free time with something

bikexor
    Killer job, I've gotta try an attempt to make set now. Flats and Sorels BLOW. Guess I'll be heading to the Gear Ex soon... ::
    Little Shred Riding Hood