mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Wanting to switch Pugs shifters to thumb shifters..suggestions

Im looking to change my trigger shifters over to thumbies..anyone have any input on brands or why not to? Thanks
    Last edited by hummbusa; 09-05-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member

Good job!

While not on a Pugsley (yet) I've had really good results using the 9spd Dura-Ace bar end shifters and Pauls Thumbies mounts.

I've had them on two bikes now (MTB and Gravel Grinder). I run them with an LX derailer and a SRAM 990 cassette. The front shifter is a friction shifter so that works well for fine tuning for chain rub...

From what I understand, the road 10spd will not match up with the MTB 10 spd, but the 9spd stuff does. I have no experience with 10 spd... Didn't try mixing Shimano shifters and SRAM derailers...

Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have 9 speed dura ace bar end shifters run in friction mode with Velo Orange thumbie mounts. Very happy with this combination, nicest shifters I've used and very easy to set up. If you run in friction mode the should work with just about any front and rear mech combinations.

I can't be bothered to set up indexing so I have Suntour XC and deore thumbies on other bikes and they work well too, but the dura-ace/VO combo has an extra certain something.

mtbr member
    I'm interested to see if Surly begins to offer the Microshift shifters that are standard on the Moonlander and Necro. I'm interested in making the change over also. I used Paul thumbies (prior to being hinged) with some Dura-Ace DT shifters. The idea was awesome, but the throw on the DT levers on the thumbies was a bit more than I was comfortable with. I have a set of DA barcon's that I will mount to the new hinged thumbies if I can't source or trade for some microshifters

IIRC Shimano Bar end shifters will not work in index mode with Sram derail's, but will work with shimano derail's

Harrumph
    Just for a dissenting opinion.

I totally admit to buying into the thumbies are simple-er/better. And the friction mode fall back is undisputably a nice option.

But really, when was the last time you had the shifter itself fail? I see old trigger MTB / STI road stuff in the shop frozen from a decade of garage dust gathering, but some lube loosens things up and they work fine.

My problem with the thumbshifters is the indexing is weak or sloppy....nearly always. So be ready to use that friction mode when things don't work right.

If things are really broken or crappy enough to need the friction mode, it's probably single speed time anyway.

The newer Surly/Salsa's that have thumbies are for cost reasons...not because it's an awesome spec.

A set of good cables/housing would make a bigger difference in the shifting than thumbies.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    I'm using Paul's Thumbies with SRAM TT500 10sp Shifters with XO rear der and xx front der. Works great!! What's nice with SRAM is TTshifters are compatible with the MTB shifters as stated in their charts. Good luck with the build.
    Wanting to switch Pugs shifters to thumb shifters..suggestions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346888027.206459.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Just for a dissenting opinion.

I totally admit to buying into the thumbies are simple-er/better. And the friction mode fall back is undisputably a nice option.

But really, when was the last time you had the shifter itself fail? I see old trigger MTB / STI road stuff in the shop frozen from a decade of garage dust gathering, but some lube loosens things up and they work fine.

My problem with the thumbshifters is the indexing is weak or sloppy....nearly always. So be ready to use that friction mode when things don't work right.

If things are really broken or crappy enough to need the friction mode, it's probably single speed time anyway.

The newer Surly/Salsa's that have thumbies are for cost reasons...not because it's an awesome spec.

A set of good cables/housing would make a bigger difference in the shifting than thumbies.
    ***Counterpoint***

I was under the impression that the thumbies on the new Moonies was for ease of use with bulky gloves for winter riding.... of course, some pogies would negate this arguement.

I like the look of them (thumb shifters), and loved my old thumb shifters (xt's and XC Pro's). The indexing worked well IMO, and you could always switch to friction mode if you needed.

That said, I've got no problem with trigger shifters, and continue to use them on my other bikes, but for some reason, the thumbies just look right on a fat bike.

Harrumph
    ****CounterCounterpoint****
    Even the burliest mittens have thumbs, and that's all you need now a days for Sram or Shimano triggers or thumbies.

I'm a pogie user (Moose Mitts specifically) and use the same full finger gloves in the summer as I do the winter.... And winter sucks here in ND.

Triggers are always in the same place, thumbies move quite a bit. A big factor in real world glove/pogie usage.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Paul's thumbie mounts + DA shifters. shifting doesn't get crisper or more direct than that.

I like the simplicity of one lever, up where I can see it. No gear indicator needed.

A friction front derailleur just makes more sense. I never get chain rub.

I like being able to shift the whole cassette in one quick throw. Very useful on the pugs.

I like being able to shift with my thumb, the palm of my hand, the side of my hand, a knuckle, whatever is handy at the time.

I like the simplicity and the lack of a big plastic blob under (and in front of) my bars.

I like the fact that they're both cheap and light AND they're nigh bulletproof a combo you don't get very often.

Caveat, I started on mountain bikes with thumbshifters, so, that's where I'm comfortable.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Paul's thumbie mounts + DA shifters. shifting doesn't get crisper or more direct than that.
    You're right about the DA shifters. But they are expensive. Why not do what Surly does on the Moonlander? They use Microshift thumbies. They cost about $100 for the whole setup. Performance is excellent.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    You're right about the DA shifters. But they are expensive. Why not do what Surly does on the Moonlander? They use Microshift thumbies. They cost about $100 for the whole setup. Performance is excellent.
    I looked long and hard for the microshift thumbies before I just went with the DA/Paul combo but I couldn't find microshift anywhere and I have lots of bar end shifters laying around.

Plus I've used DA bar ends for years and for me, they are a known quantity- I know how hard they are to break, I know how they work in ice and snow, I know they don't get wonky when crashed, covered in mud or anything else.

If I'd been able to try the microshifts out (and if I'd been able to find them) I might have gone with them instead, but shifting is a lot like saddles, once you find what you like it's pretty hard to switch away.

mtbr member
    I use a stock Sram X.9 click shifter with an X.9 9 speed rear derailleur and I have had it freeze on me once, at -25 degrees F. I probably shouldn't have been riding in a blizzard but it was too much fun! Really though, I would probably go X.9 grip shift before I went with thumbies. Grip shifters would be easy to use no matter what glove/pogie/mitten you use and shift reliably if you get an upper level shifter. Just my honest opinion.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Chronic Underachiever
    [...] But really, when was the last time you had the shifter itself fail? I see old trigger MTB / STI road stuff in the shop frozen from a decade of garage dust gathering, but some lube loosens things up and they work fine.
    Counterpoint recognized.

That said, I haven't seen other types of shifters fail because I don't use them. I've always felt like Rapidfire and Gripshift are heavy on plastic and light on functional improvement. Technological advances in this arena have failed to produce a substantial advantage.

We'd have to agree to disagree on this because I've always felt like they shift better, especially the bar end/Paul's or VO combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I did much research specifically regarding 8 speed Suntour xcpro/expert on Shimano drivetrain(rear derailleur and cassette spacing) and found many people using it and some saying it didn't work well enough. Well, I personally am running Suntour 8 speed XC Experts on a standard triple front and 8 speed Sram 850 cassette with an old M952 XTR derailleur and it shifts perfect everytime. I do maintain my bike with proper lubing and pay attention to initial set up but that shouldn't be unusual. I ride an old 1992 steel Rocky Mountain and thought it would be both economical and reliable, plus look the part and I'm very pleased. I had the old DX thumbies with the so called "extra click" for an 8th gear but it never ran as crisp nor was it as well built as Suntour's. They are simple , well built and doubt I'll ever replace them. And ya, I'm stickin with 8 speed because it works great but lasts way longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I swapped the ones on my Necro-Pugs for Deore triggers, 3x9, on the MWOID, I just set the shifter in it's middle setting and the derailler on the small ring. shifts risper, no movement/chain rub. and in South Texas I'm guranteed to never wear more than mechanix gloves on a ride so no need for the bug goofy ass tension levers...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    I swapped the ones on my Necro-Pugs for Deore triggers, 3x9, on the MWOID, I just set the shifter in it's middle setting and the derailler on the small ring. shifts risper, no movement/chain rub. and in South Texas I'm guranteed to never wear more than mechanix gloves on a ride so no need for the bug goofy ass tension levers...
    Where in TX are you? FatTexas ride?

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    I looked long and hard for the microshift thumbies before I just went with the DA/Paul combo but I couldn't find microshift anywhere and I have lots of bar end shifters laying around.

Plus I've used DA bar ends for years and for me, they are a known quantity- I know how hard they are to break, I know how they work in ice and snow, I know they don't get wonky when crashed, covered in mud or anything else.

If I'd been able to try the microshifts out (and if I'd been able to find them) I might have gone with them instead, but shifting is a lot like saddles, once you find what you like it's pretty hard to switch away.
    New microSHIFT Urban City Bike Shifters / Flat Handlebar Shifters, Shimano comp | eBay
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    Where in TX are you? FatTexas ride?
    San Antonio, where is this ride you speak of, the one I'm doing tomrrow is in Poth

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've replaced the trigger shifter from my pugsley complete to cheap Sunrace friction shifters.. They work pretty well but I think the 9spd gears are spaced too closely for friction shifting. I've found my self in between gears plenty times and having the derailure jump into a different gear under pressure, such as taking off from stand still and cranking out of the saddle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    San Antonio, where is this ride you speak of, the one I'm doing tomrrow is in Poth
    Fat Antonio! Awesome, I'm in New Braunfels.... what's in Poth?

I rode OP last week and rode Madrone last weekend, I'd be down for a fat bike gathering... Smithville might be fun

SS Rider
    I got the interloc ones on my new necro pug and so far they seem to work well. I don't have anything to compare these to as they are my first set of thumbies but I have had no issue with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just ordered a new Moonlander, supposed to ship mid september. Just bought it with the standard build. Currently have a xtc 1 Giant 29er hardtail, Tallboy carbon 2x10 standard build and a cervello road bike, r3.
    Was weary of the thumb friction top shifters (werent they called top shifters back in the day?) Wanted the STI's that I have on my xtc.
    Anyway, I guess I will try the shifter. I am in Basalt and although the weather can be colde in Dec and Jan, pretty mild the other months.

FAT-BIKE.COM Groupie
    Shimano DA / Paul Thumbie combo is badass. I also just like it because....I said so.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deleteyourselph View Post
    Shimano DA / Paul Thumbie combo is badass. I also just like it because....I said so.
    I don't think your set up is unconventional enough. Maybe you should add a coconut shell drink holder on your bars.

FAT-BIKE.COM Groupie
    I thought about putting the sumo wrestler horn on, but that would just be obnoxious. Now a coconut shell drink holder? That's classy San Diego.
    "You don't cross my ***** line, I don't cross your ***** line".
    - James Lahey Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor