Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!

I'm enjoying of all the discussion about this bike. And I've contributed to it. But we've heard very little from people who have ridden the thing.

Well I have, and it sucks. There, I said it.

The thing is way too heavy. The 32/18 gearing is way too difficult. Folks, you are not going to want to ride this bike along the beach at night. If you use it to get beer, that beer is going to be well earned.

I'm not saying it doesn't have potential. I'm going to get my Black Floyds out of the basement and see how much lighter it makes the bike feel.

I'm 6' 2", so the bike is a little too small for me. I'm going to put a longer seat post in it and change the front end some how so I'm stretched out a little more.

But until I change things up, my stock Beast sucks!

And yours will, too.
    Out to ride

mighty sailin' man
    about 30s in you can see a fatwally wheelie

Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    I'm enjoying of all the discussion about this bike. And I've contributed to it. But we've heard very little from people who have ridden the thing.

Well I have, and it sucks. There, I said it.

The thing is way too heavy. The 32/18 gearing is way too difficult. Folks, you are not going to want to ride this bike along the beach at night. If you use it to get beer, that beer is going to be well earned.

I'm not saying it doesn't have potential. I'm going to get my Black Floyds out of the basement and see how much lighter it makes the bike feel.

I'm 6' 2", so the bike is a little too small for me. I'm going to put a longer seat post in it and change the front end some how so I'm stretched out a little more.

But until I change things up, my stock Beast sucks!

And yours will, too.
    If it is that bad, my address is...

I get that for someone who has a nice fatbike, it is a def downgrade. But as someone who lacks a fatbike (a serious oversight, I must admit), I would be happy if someone handed me a beast.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!

Guys, I hate to say it, but what did you expect? You should know better by now.

Geez...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Smash Mode: ON
    Please, someone pinch me when all this beast chatter is done clogging up an otherwise awesome board.

Whatever floats your bike, dude

banned
    Aug 2012
    My heart bleeds LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Please, someone pinch me when all this beast chatter is done clogging up an otherwise awesome board.

I am strangely drawn to the the walgoose discussions and repelled all at once. The serious discussions on this bike really make me question the validity of other discussion items on this board.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    My heart bleeds LOL
    And your mouth runs...

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR.com

From the MTBR Home Page

Multiple Land Acquisitions Could Net Massive NorCal Trail Network

Gloves or No Gloves? Pros and Cons from the Pros

The Angry Singlespeeder: A Year Without USA Cycling

Electric Mountain Bikes: Friend or Foe?

Feature: The Backyard Pump Track Introduction
    You don’t say?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

dvn
    mtbr member

+1 !

Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    +1 !
    +2. There are those who are going to get one and convince themselves its OK just because they dont want to admit the massive limitations of the bike.

The whole thing just confuses me... because mtbr and the forums are based around higher quality mountain bikes, parts, and reviews... and all of a sudden you have a bunch of people giving a bike from Walmart credibility? Then people who have experience with fat biking being told they are a snob for trying to say its not gonna work well. And funniest of all, people trying to say it won't be used for fat biking... in a thread about fat biking. Duh.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    And your mouth runs...
    "Tis true ... But my points are valid, and not implied/insulting drivel

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    +2. There are those who are going to get one and convince themselves its OK just because they dont want to admit the massive limitations of the bike.

The whole thing just confuses me... because mtbr and the forums are based around higher quality mountain bikes, parts, and reviews... and all of a sudden you have a bunch of people giving a bike from Walmart credibility? Then people who have experience with fat biking being told they are a snob for trying to say its not gonna work well. And funniest of all, people trying to say it won't be used for fat biking... in a thread about fat biking. Duh.
    Well by all means ... Seek to have the ROI crowd permanently banned from your sight LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    So the only way I can interpret your meaning here is that if someone can only afford a 200 buck bike and they love to ride and love to ride thier 200 dollar purchase, they are not welcome here to share, chat, exchange or gather information? is MTBR a rich elite only club?
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

Well by all means ... Seek to have the ROI crowd permanently banned from your sight LOL
    You should seriously crawl back into whatever thread hole you crawled out of. Ya think you post enough? 1200 posts in under a year? Know it all or just no life?

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    So the only way I can interpret your meaning here is that if someone can only afford a 200 buck bike and they love to ride and love to ride thier 200 dollar purchase, they are not welcome here to share, chat, exchange or gather information? is MTBR a rich elite only club?
    Did you read my last line? Come on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    "Tis true ... But my points are valid, and not implied/insulting drivel
    I think a lot of members would disagree with that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think he's saying that the people who are rabidly defending this bike against the "rich elite" have become just as annoying as the rich elite themselves.

banned
    Aug 2012
    You should seriously crawl back into whatever thread hole you crawled out of. Ya think you post enough? 1200 posts in under a year? Know it all or just no life?
    Awww ... Should I cry, or just realize that both of us gained another number on our post count LOL

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    I think a lot of members would disagree with that.
    Opinions Vary ... Runner

mtbr member
    This thread sucks more than the Beast itself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mongoose Beast Fatbike - Specs + Pics!

This thing doesn't suck! Look at the specs!! DEALS!!

Dirt Huffer
    I finally picked mine up today and it's truely fat. Rotating mass is =2 semi. The bike needs lighter tires or an easier gear. No reason why this cant be a 34lbs bike with lighter tubes, tires, non-steel seat post and non-steel handlebar.

What needs servicing is to burn the tires and tubes first.

Don't take this as disappointment. It is what it is. I'm still happy I bought it.
    Last edited by AC/BC; 03-29-2013 at 11:51 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!

If someone can only afford 200 for a bike, they should find a decent older used MTB on craigslist, or save up money until you can afford what you want (like I did) instead of blowing all of their budget on a POS from Walmart, then proceed to throw more money at it in an attempt to make it rideable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So the tyres are heavy, the bb is an odd size, the coaster brakeads may well turn out to be made of cheese. Come on ladies what did you expect, Moolander like performance for 200 bucks ?
    Where this bike does score over the more expensive fat bikes is adapatability. Stock Pugs and Mukluks etc need very little if anything to get them working at peak performance, they are very capable bikes right out of the box and as such people don't tend to mess around with them too much other than buying more expensive parts, with the exception of such luminaries as MCS etc. The Beast on the other hand whilst perfectly ridable as it stands is something that people can tinker and adapt and mess around with without spending stupid amounts of money on upspeccing, you could make a bike that would arguably perform equally well as a Pug just by sourcing second hand parts and bits and pieces from craigslist ebay and bike store bargain bins, you can mess around with the frame shimming here cold setting there, something that most people would be reticent to do with any of the higher end frames.
    Yes I think spending top dollar on upgrading this bike with new or premium parts is a complete waste of money but for those without the cash or those of an inquiring and inventive frame of mind who don't want to risk destroying a more expensive piece of metal it's going to be a good thing. If I could get one where I am I woul, just so I could while away the time when I don't ride playing around in the workshop and grubbing around shops and the net for that hard to find bargain.

For it to cause the little ***** slapping sniping kind of posts from both sides of the fence that have been popping up is quite saddening and rather pathetic and spmething that you expect more from the carbon riding, weight weenie lycra clad dick waving roadie brigade not the pioneers and beta testers of something that will could change everyday cycling as much as mountain bikes did back in the 80s

I would suggest however that separate threads for each brand would be a good idea so that that there would be the space for multiple threads on each bike without cluttering up the forum.

Mr Fitzpatrick, you win the internet award for the trollingest troll that ever trolled and I salute you sir, well done.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast