Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 130
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larry Endomorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    201

    Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!

    I'm enjoying of all the discussion about this bike. And I've contributed to it. But we've heard very little from people who have ridden the thing.

    Well I have, and it sucks. There, I said it.

    The thing is way too heavy. The 32/18 gearing is way too difficult. Folks, you are not going to want to ride this bike along the beach at night. If you use it to get beer, that beer is going to be well earned.

    I'm not saying it doesn't have potential. I'm going to get my Black Floyds out of the basement and see how much lighter it makes the bike feel.

    I'm 6' 2", so the bike is a little too small for me. I'm going to put a longer seat post in it and change the front end some how so I'm stretched out a little more.

    But until I change things up, my stock Beast sucks!

    And yours will, too.
    Out to ride

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    I'm enjoying of all the discussion about this bike. And I've contributed to it. But we've heard very little from people who have ridden the thing.

    Well I have, and it sucks. There, I said it.

    The thing is way too heavy. The 32/18 gearing is way too difficult. Folks, you are not going to want to ride this bike along the beach at night. If you use it to get beer, that beer is going to be well earned.

    I'm not saying it doesn't have potential. I'm going to get my Black Floyds out of the basement and see how much lighter it makes the bike feel.

    I'm 6' 2", so the bike is a little too small for me. I'm going to put a longer seat post in it and change the front end some how so I'm stretched out a little more.

    But until I change things up, my stock Beast sucks!

    And yours will, too.
    If it is that bad, my address is...

    I get that for someone who has a nice fatbike, it is a def downgrade. But as someone who lacks a fatbike (a serious oversight, I must admit), I would be happy if someone handed me a beast.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!

    Guys, I hate to say it, but what did you expect? You should know better by now.

    Geez...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

  4. #4
    Smash Mode: ON
    Reputation: Dustin Mustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    299
    Please, someone pinch me when all this beast chatter is done clogging up an otherwise awesome board.

    Whatever floats your bike, dude

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    My heart bleeds LOL

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Please, someone pinch me when all this beast chatter is done clogging up an otherwise awesome board.

    I am strangely drawn to the the walgoose discussions and repelled all at once. The serious discussions on this bike really make me question the validity of other discussion items on this board.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    My heart bleeds LOL
    And your mouth runs...

  8. #8
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,235
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR.com

    From the MTBR Home Page

    Multiple Land Acquisitions Could Net Massive NorCal Trail Network

    Gloves or No Gloves? Pros and Cons from the Pros

    The Angry Singlespeeder: A Year Without USA Cycling

    Electric Mountain Bikes: Friend or Foe?

    Feature: The Backyard Pump Track Introduction
    You don’t say?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  9. #9
    dvn
    dvn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Please, someone pinch me when all this beast chatter is done clogging up an otherwise awesome board.

    +1 !

  10. #10
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Please, someone pinch me when all this beast chatter is done clogging up an otherwise awesome board.

    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    +1 !
    +2. There are those who are going to get one and convince themselves its OK just because they dont want to admit the massive limitations of the bike.

    The whole thing just confuses me... because mtbr and the forums are based around higher quality mountain bikes, parts, and reviews... and all of a sudden you have a bunch of people giving a bike from Walmart credibility? Then people who have experience with fat biking being told they are a snob for trying to say its not gonna work well. And funniest of all, people trying to say it won't be used for fat biking... in a thread about fat biking. Duh.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    And your mouth runs...
    "Tis true ... But my points are valid, and not implied/insulting drivel

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    +2. There are those who are going to get one and convince themselves its OK just because they dont want to admit the massive limitations of the bike.

    The whole thing just confuses me... because mtbr and the forums are based around higher quality mountain bikes, parts, and reviews... and all of a sudden you have a bunch of people giving a bike from Walmart credibility? Then people who have experience with fat biking being told they are a snob for trying to say its not gonna work well. And funniest of all, people trying to say it won't be used for fat biking... in a thread about fat biking. Duh.
    Well by all means ... Seek to have the ROI crowd permanently banned from your sight LOL

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    The whole thing just confuses me... because mtbr and the forums are based around higher quality mountain bikes, parts, and reviews... and all of a sudden you have a bunch of people giving a bike from Walmart credibility? Then people who have experience with fat biking being told they are a snob for trying to say its not gonna work well. And funniest of all, people trying to say it won't be used for fat biking... in a thread about fat biking. Duh.
    So the only way I can interpret your meaning here is that if someone can only afford a 200 buck bike and they love to ride and love to ride thier 200 dollar purchase, they are not welcome here to share, chat, exchange or gather information? is MTBR a rich elite only club?
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

  14. #14
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Well by all means ... Seek to have the ROI crowd permanently banned from your sight LOL
    You should seriously crawl back into whatever thread hole you crawled out of. Ya think you post enough? 1200 posts in under a year? Know it all or just no life?

  15. #15
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    So the only way I can interpret your meaning here is that if someone can only afford a 200 buck bike and they love to ride and love to ride thier 200 dollar purchase, they are not welcome here to share, chat, exchange or gather information? is MTBR a rich elite only club?
    Did you read my last line? Come on.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    "Tis true ... But my points are valid, and not implied/insulting drivel
    I think a lot of members would disagree with that.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    So the only way I can interpret your meaning here is that if someone can only afford a 200 buck bike and they love to ride and love to ride thier 200 dollar purchase, they are not welcome here to share, chat, exchange or gather information? is MTBR a rich elite only club?
    I think he's saying that the people who are rabidly defending this bike against the "rich elite" have become just as annoying as the rich elite themselves.

  18. #18
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    You should seriously crawl back into whatever thread hole you crawled out of. Ya think you post enough? 1200 posts in under a year? Know it all or just no life?
    Awww ... Should I cry, or just realize that both of us gained another number on our post count LOL

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    I think a lot of members would disagree with that.
    Opinions Vary ... Runner

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AllMountin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    932
    This thread sucks more than the Beast itself.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mongoose Beast Fatbike - Specs + Pics!

    This thing doesn't suck! Look at the specs!! DEALS!!

  22. #22
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    I finally picked mine up today and it's truely fat. Rotating mass is =2 semi. The bike needs lighter tires or an easier gear. No reason why this cant be a 34lbs bike with lighter tubes, tires, non-steel seat post and non-steel handlebar.

    What needs servicing is to burn the tires and tubes first.


    Don't take this as disappointment. It is what it is. I'm still happy I bought it.
    Last edited by AC/BC; 03-30-2013 at 12:51 AM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    So the only way I can interpret your meaning here is that if someone can only afford a 200 buck bike and they love to ride and love to ride thier 200 dollar purchase, they are not welcome here to share, chat, exchange or gather information? is MTBR a rich elite only club?
    If someone can only afford 200 for a bike, they should find a decent older used MTB on craigslist, or save up money until you can afford what you want (like I did) instead of blowing all of their budget on a POS from Walmart, then proceed to throw more money at it in an attempt to make it rideable.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12
    So the tyres are heavy, the bb is an odd size, the coaster brakeads may well turn out to be made of cheese. Come on ladies what did you expect, Moolander like performance for 200 bucks ?
    Where this bike does score over the more expensive fat bikes is adapatability. Stock Pugs and Mukluks etc need very little if anything to get them working at peak performance, they are very capable bikes right out of the box and as such people don't tend to mess around with them too much other than buying more expensive parts, with the exception of such luminaries as MCS etc. The Beast on the other hand whilst perfectly ridable as it stands is something that people can tinker and adapt and mess around with without spending stupid amounts of money on upspeccing, you could make a bike that would arguably perform equally well as a Pug just by sourcing second hand parts and bits and pieces from craigslist ebay and bike store bargain bins, you can mess around with the frame shimming here cold setting there, something that most people would be reticent to do with any of the higher end frames.
    Yes I think spending top dollar on upgrading this bike with new or premium parts is a complete waste of money but for those without the cash or those of an inquiring and inventive frame of mind who don't want to risk destroying a more expensive piece of metal it's going to be a good thing. If I could get one where I am I woul, just so I could while away the time when I don't ride playing around in the workshop and grubbing around shops and the net for that hard to find bargain.

    For it to cause the little ***** slapping sniping kind of posts from both sides of the fence that have been popping up is quite saddening and rather pathetic and spmething that you expect more from the carbon riding, weight weenie lycra clad dick waving roadie brigade not the pioneers and beta testers of something that will could change everyday cycling as much as mountain bikes did back in the 80s

    I would suggest however that separate threads for each brand would be a good idea so that that there would be the space for multiple threads on each bike without cluttering up the forum.

    Mr Fitzpatrick, you win the internet award for the trollingest troll that ever trolled and I salute you sir, well done.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-spot View Post
    So the tyres are heavy, the bb is an odd size, the coaster brakeads may well turn out to be made of cheese. Come on ladies what did you expect, Moolander like performance for 200 bucks ?
    Where this bike does score over the more expensive fat bikes is adapatability. Stock Pugs and Mukluks etc need very little if anything to get them working at peak performance, they are very capable bikes right out of the box and as such people don't tend to mess around with them too much other than buying more expensive parts, with the exception of such luminaries as MCS etc. The Beast on the other hand whilst perfectly ridable as it stands is something that people can tinker and adapt and mess around with without spending stupid amounts of money on upspeccing, you could make a bike that would arguably perform equally well as a Pug just by sourcing second hand parts and bits and pieces from craigslist ebay and bike store bargain bins, you can mess around with the frame shimming here cold setting there, something that most people would be reticent to do with any of the higher end frames.
    Yes I think spending top dollar on upgrading this bike with new or premium parts is a complete waste of money but for those without the cash or those of an inquiring and inventive frame of mind who don't want to risk destroying a more expensive piece of metal it's going to be a good thing. If I could get one where I am I woul, just so I could while away the time when I don't ride playing around in the workshop and grubbing around shops and the net for that hard to find bargain.

    For it to cause the little ***** slapping sniping kind of posts from both sides of the fence that have been popping up is quite saddening and rather pathetic and spmething that you expect more from the carbon riding, weight weenie lycra clad dick waving roadie brigade not the pioneers and beta testers of something that will could change everyday cycling as much as mountain bikes did back in the 80s

    I would suggest however that separate threads for each brand would be a good idea so that that there would be the space for multiple threads on each bike without cluttering up the forum.

    Mr Fitzpatrick, you win the internet award for the trollingest troll that ever trolled and I salute you sir, well done.
    Yes, there are some folks who expect (or want to believe, anyway) that this bike will supply Moolander like performance for 200 bucks. None of them have actually ridden it yet, but that doesn't prevent them from loudly and continually making that claim.

    I'm with you, this bike will be a lot of fun for a lot of people, and I don't discourage anybody from buying one.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-spot View Post
    ...For it to cause the little ***** slapping sniping kind of posts from both sides of the fence that have been popping up is quite saddening and rather pathetic and spmething that you expect more from the carbon riding, weight weenie lycra clad dick waving roadie brigade not the pioneers and beta testers of something that will could change everyday cycling as much as mountain bikes did back in the 80s ...
    Well said sir.

    It's a bike I'd buy, and I have more than my share of blingtastics.

    I see it as a good platform for experimenting on - the fact that much of it would be thrown away is no problem because it's dirt cheap, and at its price I have no expectations to be dashed if it doesn't work out.

    If it brings more people into fatbiking then so much the better.

    Shame I can't get one delivered to the UK.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Well said sir.

    It's a bike I'd buy, and I have more than my share of blingtastics.

    I see it as a good platform for experimenting on - the fact that much of it would be thrown away is no problem because it's dirt cheap, and at its price I have no expectations to be dashed if it doesn't work out.

    If it brings more people into fatbiking then so much the better.

    Shame I can't get one delivered to the UK.
    I could take delivery, and forward it along to you... but I'd guess you'd be looking at an extra $100-$150 just for shipping.

  28. #28
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,026
    So, has anyone given any thought to who else is in the same corporate quiver as Mongoose?

    Can anyone say, trial ballon?

    I knew you could.....

    As for Fatty McWalgoose, good on 'em. If it gets all the whiners about pricey fat bikes to shut up, buy one, ride it for a week, realize there is truth to the adage, You get what you pay for, but realize how fun it is, (at least going down hill) then it's a win for the fatbike industry as a whole, cause now we got you suckers, hook, line, and sinker.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,512
    This has exposed the ugly side of our little scene. Never have I seen such bs over a $200 bike. It's a pos fat bike and it stinks. I said it in my thread about it on my board. I chose to talk about it over there because my members are delighted to have a fat bike they can actually buy. We ride junk in most peoples eyes and we drink smoke and have fun doing it. Now we can do it on out Walmart fat bikes.

    If some one cobbled up a suspension fork or homemade fat bike out of an old one you all would be applauding him for taking the brave step. Now Walmart produces a cheap one for the masses and it is met with elite snobbery.

    Who here was on a purple pugs with only endos raise your hands? +1 it's all we had and we liked it.

    this bike is all some of my friends can have and I will help them like it so we can all ride them and have fun. Now where are them apes and banana seat.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    If someone can only afford 200 for a bike, they should find a decent older used MTB on craigslist, or save up money until you can afford what you want (like I did) instead of blowing all of their budget on a POS from Walmart, then proceed to throw more money at it in an attempt to make it rideable.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    in my case, your major flaw is to think I (and perhaps others) can't afford a more expensive bike

    Before people started marketing their snow bike efforts ... People threw money at cheap bikes to make rideable bikes, rideable in the snow ... And they had fun doing so.

    Think about it !!

    Oh,
    And the Fuji & Raleigh are red, just like the GooseLander that will be delivered next week.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 7daysaweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat-spot View Post
    So the tyres are heavy, the bb is an odd size, the coaster brakeads may well turn out to be made of cheese. Come on ladies what did you expect, Moolander like performance for 200 bucks ?
    Where this bike does score over the more expensive fat bikes is adapatability. Stock Pugs and Mukluks etc need very little if anything to get them working at peak performance, they are very capable bikes right out of the box and as such people don't tend to mess around with them too much other than buying more expensive parts, with the exception of such luminaries as MCS etc. The Beast on the other hand whilst perfectly ridable as it stands is something that people can tinker and adapt and mess around with without spending stupid amounts of money on upspeccing, you could make a bike that would arguably perform equally well as a Pug just by sourcing second hand parts and bits and pieces from craigslist ebay and bike store bargain bins, you can mess around with the frame shimming here cold setting there, something that most people would be reticent to do with any of the higher end frames.
    Yes I think spending top dollar on upgrading this bike with new or premium parts is a complete waste of money but for those without the cash or those of an inquiring and inventive frame of mind who don't want to risk destroying a more expensive piece of metal it's going to be a good thing. If I could get one where I am I woul, just so I could while away the time when I don't ride playing around in the workshop and grubbing around shops and the net for that hard to find bargain.

    For it to cause the little ***** slapping sniping kind of posts from both sides of the fence that have been popping up is quite saddening and rather pathetic and spmething that you expect more from the carbon riding, weight weenie lycra clad dick waving roadie brigade not the pioneers and beta testers of something that will could change everyday cycling as much as mountain bikes did back in the 80s

    I would suggest however that separate threads for each brand would be a good idea so that that there would be the space for multiple threads on each bike without cluttering up the forum.

    Mr Fitzpatrick, you win the internet award for the trollingest troll that ever trolled and I salute you sir, well done.
    So I have a carbon bike and a fat bike... Am I a dick waving roadie or can I play with the fat bike crowd. They're both singlespeeds so maybe I should stick with those guys... Or can I just be a biker and not b**** at anyone for what they ride.

    You do realize you added a snipe to a different group in the same paragraph that you were trying to argue against sniping...

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    So, has anyone given any thought to who else is in the same corporate quiver as Mongoose?

    Can anyone say, trial ballon?

    I knew you could.....

    As for Fatty McWalgoose, good on 'em. If it gets all the whiners about pricey fat bikes to shut up, buy one, ride it for a week, realize there is truth to the adage, You get what you pay for, but realize how fun it is, (at least going down hill) then it's a win for the fatbike industry as a whole, cause now we got you suckers, hook, line, and sinker.
    Trial balloon ... Glad you get it !

    I'm not sure when they came out, but the green ones sold out in what seems to be less than a week.

  33. #33
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Its a $200 bike for god sake, prob a great bike for people with no budget at all, and a crap bike for people that can spend 2.5k on a bike.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,036
    Quick thought, lets say that you came across a guy on a $200 huffy or $200 Walfart, and he was broke down on the trail ( brakes, chain, taco wheel ). Would you be willing to lend him/her your time or spare parts ( knowing that you possibly spent more money on your bag, tools and supplies in the bag, and air pump, than this person spent on their whole bike.)?

    Now you come across a guy who has a x7/slx level or higher bike, and they had issues. You know they at least spent enough on parts that matter. They didn't break down because of cheap junk components.

    Be honest, would you spend the same amount of time to help both, and who would you be more likely to lend parts to.

    Personally, I usually have time constraints on the amount of time I have to ride. I am not rich, and not a dick swinging carbon riding roadie, but I am a big guy who knows that quality parts cost $$.

    My choice, I let the Huffy walk. But will give the other guy a bit more of my time.

    Same story applied when I worked at car audio shops. Some guys would come in, *****ing about their crappy best buy stereo, wondering why it didn't work, or why it wasn't as loud as they guy with a quality setup. We start looking into the hack job someone did putting the system together, and how the owner was pushing the equipment way past its capabilities. We would help, but knew their cheap a$$ didn't want to spend much getting it fixed, much less gutted and totally re-done.

    But a guy/girl comes in with some good quality equipment, installed correctly....even though it might not have been done at our shop, we knew he spend his hard earned money on stuff that was quality. We were much more willing to spend time on his/her system because we knew they cared.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    So I have a carbon bike and a fat bike... Am I a dick waving roadie or can I play with the fat bike crowd. They're both singlespeeds so maybe I should stick with those guys... Or can I just be a biker and not b**** at anyone for what they ride.

    You do realize you added a snipe to a different group in the same paragraph that you were trying to argue against sniping...

    Easy tiger, didn't you notice the winky thing at the end of the line ? I wasn't having a snipe at anybody it was said in jest and with no malice aforethough and if you had shared the tarmac with french and italian roadies as much as I have you may have seen the humour in it. Please don't take it so seriously, there is far and away enough of that on the site as it is and of course you can play with anyone you wish, as long as you play nicely and bring cakes and pop.
    I don't think we're so far up our own asses that we can't make fun of ourselves too, being the beard growing, trapper hat wearing hipsters at the cutting edge of the breaking wave of the next big thing in velocipedes that we are

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,512
    Well for the people who this is all they can afford my forum has threads with happy owners enjoying theirs. And I'm retreating back there to the land of non snobbery.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: Walmart Mongoose Beast sucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    in my case, your major flaw is to think I (and perhaps others) can't afford a more expensive bike

    Before people started marketing their snow bike efforts ... People threw money at cheap bikes to make rideable bikes, rideable in the snow ... And they had fun doing so.

    Think about it !!

    Oh,
    And the Fuji & Raleigh are red, just like the GooseLander that will be delivered next week.
    No, serious fatbike enthusiasts were not for riding Wal-Gooses. Many of them were riding much more expensive custom bikes. They were not about to ride hundreds of miles out into the frozen wilderness on a Wal-Goose. Even if they were, its a moot point now because we actually have quality, fully functional complete fatbikes for sale now. I see used Pugsleys on craigslist for ~$1,000 all the time. That's not much more than where you'll be by the time you're done trying to polish that turd.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    This has exposed the ugly side of our little scene. Never have I seen such bs over a $200 bike. It's a pos fat bike and it stinks. I said it in my thread about it on my board. I chose to talk about it over there because my members are delighted to have a fat bike they can actually buy. We ride junk in most peoples eyes and we drink smoke and have fun doing it. Now we can do it on out Walmart fat bikes.

    If some one cobbled up a suspension fork or homemade fat bike out of an old one you all would be applauding him for taking the brave step. Now Walmart produces a cheap one for the masses and it is met with elite snobbery.

    Who here was on a purple pugs with only endos raise your hands? +1 it's all we had and we liked it.

    this bike is all some of my friends can have and I will help them like it so we can all ride them and have fun. Now where are them apes and banana seat.
    This is a mountain bike forum, not a ride around the block forum. Oh, and I make ~$25,000 a year, so keep telling me how much of a snobby, rich, elitist I am. It feels good.

    That's why when I buy bikes, I save up and get something that is a good value so I can ride it for decades to come. I can't afford to blow 200 bucks on a POS that needs hundreds more in upgrades to be rideable.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    They were not about to ride hundreds of miles out into the frozen wilderness on a Wal-Goose.
    Herein is perhaps the best stated reason behind some on the negative remarks? Many were not able to put their 'gut' understanding into proper words, to them, the reasons against it are so self-evident in their minds that they...forgot...

    Larry Endo...: Perhaps now your second thread will have better success towards its stated goal; off to a good start anyway.

  40. #40
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    No, serious fatbike enthusiasts were not for riding Wal-Gooses. Many of them were riding much more expensive custom bikes. They were not about to ride hundreds of miles out into the frozen wilderness on a Wal-Goose. Even if they were, its a moot point now because we actually have quality, fully functional complete fatbikes for sale now. I see used Pugsleys on craigslist for ~$1,000 all the time. That's not much more than where you'll be by the time you're done trying to polish that turd.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Right ... So they were buying the most expensive thing they could afford, chopping in in half width wise, and making it wider.

    Get real, at the experimental stage not everyone was going all out, and building custom frames, until they figured a few things out.

    And fewer still were simulating designs on a computer.

    But that's OK !!
    If you want to insult people who can throw away $200 and possibly destroy additional bike parts in the name of fun ... Go for it

    I'll still have money available for the next experiment, also.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: icecreamjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,190
    I haven't heard this mentioned in reference to the Beast, but it is a concern for me. What will this do for beach riding and access. Cape Cod is a very popular summer destination for fatbikers. Riding on the national seashore is amazing and currently a gray area, there are no regulations regarding bikes because there didn't have to be. If/when the masses start riding all over the beach there will be some kind of blowback. This is probably inevitable anyway, but as long as fatbikes were a niche thing, there weren't enough to cause trouble. I suppose this is similar to the access issues that have been seen on XC ski trails, except that with this situation it would be very powerful environmental groups out to shut us down (Audubon, for one, god forbid someone runs over a piping plover nest, it would kick up a shitstorm).

    I don't want to sound elitist, like I'm keeping the trails to myself, but lets face it, there will most likely be some rules concerning fatbikes in the future, at least at popular beaches. We are able to ride places that previously weren't possible, its a neat novelty the first time someone sees a fatbike, but when you've got yahoo's ripping up dunes and riding all over the place its not gonna be so funny anymore. I don't mean to say that the people riding the beast will be any less considerate than people on expensive bikes, I guess I just don't have a lot of faith in the intelligence of the masses.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I just don't have a lot of faith in the intelligence of the masses.
    Ditto

  43. #43
    PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Reputation: ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,297
    nothing wrong with this Walmart bike...


  44. #44
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,994
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Quick thought, lets say that you came across a guy on a $200 huffy or $200 Walfart, and he was broke down on the trail ( brakes, chain, taco wheel ). Would you be willing to lend him/her your time or spare parts ( knowing that you possibly spent more money on your bag, tools and supplies in the bag, and air pump, than this person spent on their whole bike.)?

    Now you come across a guy who has a x7/slx level or higher bike, and they had issues. You know they at least spent enough on parts that matter. They didn't break down because of cheap junk components.

    Be honest, would you spend the same amount of time to help both, and who would you be more likely to lend parts to.

    Personally, I usually have time constraints on the amount of time I have to ride. I am not rich, and not a dick swinging carbon riding roadie, but I am a big guy who knows that quality parts cost $$.

    My choice, I let the Huffy walk. But will give the other guy a bit more of my time.

    Same story applied when I worked at car audio shops. Some guys would come in, *****ing about their crappy best buy stereo, wondering why it didn't work, or why it wasn't as loud as they guy with a quality setup. We start looking into the hack job someone did putting the system together, and how the owner was pushing the equipment way past its capabilities. We would help, but knew their cheap a$$ didn't want to spend much getting it fixed, much less gutted and totally re-done.

    But a guy/girl comes in with some good quality equipment, installed correctly....even though it might not have been done at our shop, we knew he spend his hard earned money on stuff that was quality. We were much more willing to spend time on his/her system because we knew they cared.
    Sorry but you are wrong I would still help both equally. How do you know that is all the guy can afford?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smithcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    What will this do for beach riding and access.

    ...god forbid someone runs over a piping plover nest, it would kick up a shitstorm.
    Hey Jay, I'm down in RI and ride the beaches frequently. Once some lighter, geared inexpensive fat bikes come out is when the issue will explode. I am aware of the delicate nature of the dunes and very conscientious not to ride off the beach or trail, but lord knows staying out of the dunes is like ignoring the call of the Siren. It just look like it would be so much fun to plow through and I doubt everyone will be able to resist. Hopefully they will just come up with rules and fines like 4x4 access, not outright banning.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ...lets say that you came across a guy on a $200 huffy or $200 Walfart, and he was broke down on the trail ( brakes, chain, taco wheel ). Would you be willing to lend him/her your time or spare parts ( knowing that you possibly spent more money on your bag, tools and supplies in the bag, and air pump, than this person spent on their whole bike.)?...
    Yes.

    Have done so frequently. Fixed bikes, lent tools, tubes, and in one desperate case my bike, and always got them back.

    If they're keen enough to be out there, I'll help anyone, even obnoxious blingtastic riders.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  47. #47
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    If someone can only afford 200 for a bike, they should find a decent older used MTB on craigslist, or save up money until you can afford what you want (like I did) instead of blowing all of their budget on a POS from Walmart, then proceed to throw more money at it in an attempt to make it rideable.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Yeah, so you're saying if you want a fatbike under $200, you should get a $200 Fatbike off craigslist. Yeah, got it. I'll browse through the hundres of Pugs clogging up those craigslist posts for under $200 and pick the best one.

    I dunno... the one big turn off (besides coming from WalMart, MallWart, whatever) is it looks like the seat and head tube angles are super slack.

    I would be willing to give it a whirl. I have a crapload of parts in the bin. I'm sure I can tune it up and make it passable with minimal investment, as long as the geometry agreed with me.

    The oddball fatbike parts are pretty much the frame, fork, wheels and tires... maybe the crankset. With some effort, replace some glaring awful parts with decent ones....

    Oh, wait... nevermind. I just saw it has no disc tabs, or even canti brake tabs. Coaster brake, and that's it.... deal killer....

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    pretty ironic the guy your are speaking to (bighit) is the creator of this sub forum. now you know
    OG
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bighit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,512
    and for "real Mountain biking" it makes sense. for the masses who want to cruise around on big wheels it make sense. or people like me who dont want to take their moonlander everywhere and lock it to a pole. realize people do more than explore the back country on their bikes.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

    http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Right ... So they were buying the most expensive thing they could afford, chopping in in half width wise, and making it wider.

    Get real, at the experimental stage not everyone was going all out, and building custom frames, until they figured a few things out.

    And fewer still were simulating designs on a computer.

    But that's OK !!
    If you want to insult people who can throw away $200 and possibly destroy additional bike parts in the name of fun ... Go for it

    I'll still have money available for the next experiment, also.
    Actually, just about all of the early fat bike efforts that went beyond 2.35s and Simon Rakower's SnowCat rims involved a custom frame. I've seen very few early fatbikes that were adapted from a standard MTB. Evingston, DeSalvo, Icycle, Mark Groenwald at Wildfire, Clark-Kent, Ray "El Remolino" Molina, and others all made custom frames to accept wide wheels- either several rims laced side by side, or Molina's 80mm Mexican rims and 3.5" Tornel sand tires.

    You might want to read up on fat bike history before posting incorrect information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bighits 37lb Mongoose Beast
    By bighit in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 12:20 PM
  2. Mongoose XR-PRO at Walmart for $379, Anygood?
    By jaycarl in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM
  3. Mongoose Beast review etc.... Walmart Fatty!
    By 2silent in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 453
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 06:41 AM
  4. Mongoose Beast... cannot wait
    By 2silent in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
  5. Mongoose Beast Fatbike - Specs + Pics!
    By theboss in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •