mtbr member

Vittoria Bomboloni?

Just curious. Anyone on these yet?

mtbr member
    Want them!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Liked the tread pattern then saw the weights: 1420g +/-. Not so much love anymore.
    Pending the price, these could be the best 4" tire in that weight class though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Their 29X3.0's look killer. Their 26X4.0 are to small for my current taste's, but that tread pattern look tasty.

Squ-eti
    Not a lot of information out there on these tires. I just got a set mounted up that I got a good deal on from Nashbar (70 bucks each). They weighed in at 1450 g and measured in at just under 4" on a 90mm rim. I imagine they'll stretch and grow a bit though. Very tight beads. Doesn't look like we're going to get any snow anytime soon, but I hope to get out on them this weekend on frozen ground, and do some testing at different pressures.

Will follow up with a review after I get some miles in on them...
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    I started running them in late fall. Heavy-ish tires, but grip during leaf-covered-trail season was great. Roll superbly. So far they meet my needs for snow - but I've only had a few snow rides so far. Busting slightly tracked (foot, ski) singletrack went better than expected. Packed trail is super fun with them. Last season I ran Larry/Snowshoe and those were so awful that these should be way better; and they are. Experiences are usually relative

mtbr member
    Man. The cannoli looks awesome for a plus tire tho! Hmmm
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Squ-eti

1st ride impressions

1st thoughts were...

Holy crap these tires are great!

and

Why aren't these getting more play?

1st let me premise that the only other fat bike tires I've ridden are Vee H-Billies and Vee Snowshoe XLs. So my experiences are somewhat limited.

Also, this was only one ride under one set of conditions.

Still...wow.

Rolling Resistance- smooth rolling and blessedly quiet. Hated that the XLs sounded like I was rolling a sherman tank down the road. The Bomboloni's are good for 2-3 gears compared to the XLs, and I no longer dread the ride to the trailhead

Cornering grip- there was 1-2 inches of super dry powder on the ground with random sections of ice. I couldn't get this things to break loose in a corner (and I was really trying). Granted it was only a couple inches, but the Bomboloni's never washed out in the front unlike the XLs which got sideways if you looked at them funny.

Off Camber- holy cannoli! I almost avoided the singletrack I normally ride to from the house today because I knew there was alot of off camber, and that the XLs were notoriously bad at off camber. those huge lugs on the sides of the Bomboloni's really do a great job. even the one or two times I started to let loose on an off camber section they grabbed back on to the trail quickly

Traction- another shocker. 4" tire, a couple inches of snow, sections of steep (15% grade+) trail, and I was able to churn my way up anything I had the legs to churn up.

Self Steer- I started the ride at 7 psi front/8 psi rear. probably lost a little due to the cold once I got rolling, but never rechecked. the front had the slightest hint of self steer at these pressures, but was easily controllable.

so, basically these appear to be awesome tires that can be ran year round for conditions ranging from pavement...to buff summer singletrack...to rocky technical trails...to probably representing themselves fairly well in up to 4, maybe 6 inches of snow.

If they have a draw back it's that they're a bit heavy for a 4 inch tire (1450 grams), but I can't complain about a couple hundred grams per tire til I shed a couple pounds off myself, and in the summer I ride alot of rocky, technical stuff, and knowing these tires have thick casings that should be able to take the abuse is a bonus.

so why aren't these tires getting more play?

note: as I get out and ride these in various conditions I'll update if I find any chinks in the armor (or if I don't find any chinks in the armor, and decide to solidly recommend them as great all around tires).

Squ-eti
    Got a ride in with these tires the other day in 4-5" of snow on rolling, twisty singletrack. They worked like a champ for a 4" all-arounder. They corner very predictably. Meaning, they do occasionally break away or drift, but they do so in a way that can be controlled, and they never wash out. As far as climbing traction, I could climb anything that I could normally climb in the summer except the absolute steepest grades (15%+). For an all arounder that rolls fast year round I think that's pretty darn good.
    Last edited by mccartney7499; 1 Week Ago at 06:56 AM.