mtbr member

Vicious Graceful fat Sheba--Junk?

Anybody else built up a set of these rims?
    I've built, Snowcats, Umas, Large Marges, 70s, Raymolinos, 80s, and 100s and have never encountered such poor quality.
    I'm aware that with most of these wide rims you can't get too picky, but I just built a set of of these Vicious rims and they're a mess. Terrible seam junctions and huge wobbles from one side of the rim to the other.
    Did I just get a really bad pair or have others had similar experiences?

nothing relevant to say
    Contact Vicious directly and notify them. What is your final spoke tension on the out-bound spokes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just build my set and the seam is the worst I have ever seen. If I was running rim brakes I would be concerned, but tension is on, so I will run them.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Other shop in AK

Loves them. I think it was 9:zero:7 builders are using these. Somewhere there's post about them...

mtbr member
    Cracked Headtube

QBP does warranty for these. I might just live live with it, but they're very disappointing.
    They go up to tension fine, but you can't really do a balanced build because the extrusion is so far from round. At least on the 2 I have.

jjabkrvt

Maybe that's just how they are. I guess there aren't too many alternatives at the moment.
    Bummer because the 80 mm double wall chopper rims, I assume it is the same place making these, were pretty good quality.

1spd1way

I'll have to ask the guys at Chain Reaction about their experience with these rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The Seams are Bad on these rims. Some are worse than others.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    mine were also really bad, but I pretended not to notice. rim brakes would be impossible.

after a month and ~600 miles they're about the same as when I started, so at least they haven't gotten worse.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Peter....

Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Cracked Headtube

QBP does warranty for these. I might just live live with it, but they're very disappointing.
    They go up to tension fine, but you can't really do a balanced build because the extrusion is so far from round. At least on the 2 I have.

jjabkrvt

Maybe that's just how they are. I guess there aren't too many alternatives at the moment.
    Bummer because the 80 mm double wall chopper rims, I assume it is the same place making these, were pretty good quality.

1spd1way

I'll have to ask the guys at Chain Reaction about their experience with these rims.
    I built up a drilled out pair for my 907 and I agree they do not have the quality extrusion I'd expect from Vicious Cycles. This being said, I've had difficultly with most single wall rims I've built up including several Sno-cats and a set of speedway 70s. The VC GFS are by far the widest I've built and the most time consuming for sure.

In the end, I was able to get a well balanced set of wheels and I'm by-and-large happy with the result. I was initially concerned about getting balanced tension, but both wheels tensioned up nicely after a lot of work of stressing and re-stressing. I don't have any lateral wobbles, but the seam / pin area on one wheel has a slight hop. However, when mounted on an Endo it becomes a moot imperfection.

I'm going to reserve the junk statement until I get a full season of ride time on these fat boys, but I hardly doubt there will be issues. They do seem fine once built up.

I guess I'll see......

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Mine have hops at the seam area also, both front and rear. And at the seam, on the inside of the sidewall there were some pretty sharp edges that I sanded smooth. I surely don't need anything else to possibly lead to worse Endomorph bead area damage than I've already experienced. I do like the added spokebed material though, something you can't say for either SnoCats or Uma's, one more thing to give piece of mind.

Until we get some snow, I'm running them on the hillside with some big Gazzalodis as I dial in the fit of a new frame. (Plus these big tires don't trench in the mud!) If anything will hurt them it'll be the banging into roots on hillside trails, but I doubt they'll be hurt, there's just too much cushy tire protecting them.

Here's the latest after a muddy ride. Lotsa work with these 1800 gm tires on the climbs, but fun stuff, there's just no stopping 'em.

Keeping my fingers crossed the rims last, but seem pretty typical of other single walled rims.

Last edited by EndoRando; 10-11-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

is buachail foighneach me
    bike looks mean with the gazzi's on there!

mtbr member
    Nice lookin rig. Like the Gazzie's on too. Whats the weight on those tires? and What PSI are you running em at?
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stiski
    Whats the weight on those tires? and What PSI are you running em at?
    Tires are true DH goods, right about 1700gms apiece. That's 7 1/2 lbs of tires alone! They're a bear when it comes to the steep climbs due to the combination of high weight and high rolling resistance, but they won't spin out! Even standing and rocking. And on the downhills I've got a ton of confidence in them, even with wet leaves over hard clay, leaning into the turns is no problem. They rail where less aggressive tires might wash out.

Not sure on the pressure. Low enough that I can squeeze them though. I'm running them a bit soft so I don't get so beat up riding over roots. And the sidewalls are thick enough that I could lower the pressure even more, but they are sluggish enough to pedal as is.

meow, meow.
    I guess it's not going to be necroposting. The product is still around, after all.

I've just built a wheel with one of these rims (11 mm offset version) for a customer. Spokes are DT Competition 2.0-1.8-2.0. Hub, a Shimano FH-M756. My first fatbike wheelbuild -- and looks like it's the first one per this whole city, too. History records no previous fatbikes around. )

Managed to get the rim to 0.5 mm lateral true, around 1 mm radial true (sidewalls took shape each on their own, however), within 0.5 mm dish error. That without sacrificing much tension uniformity.

I used Park Tool tensiometer -- found the plucking method to provide less precision with this rim than usual, because it turned out that the tones spokes make depend on where I hold the rim stable with my other hand. Anyway, the device shows drive side tensions within 120-130 kgf, disc side within 110-120 kgf. I wonder if this is enough, because the rim is radially flexy compared to box section rims (this shows when I squeeze the spokes).
    What tread pattern does it take to maintain grip on reality? Is a rubber queen enough?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ER,

What kind of handle bars are those?

Steve

mtbr member
    To follow up on this post, the wheels that I built up with these rims have held up just fine.
    I will say that this particular pair of rims were about the worst looking rims I've dealt with in terms of the seams, hops, and wobbly sidewalls, but maybe subsequent production runs have improved.

meow, meow.
    I built the second wheel for that guy, identical rim and hub, but Sapim Race spokes instead of DT Competition. Paid more attention to radial true this time. It still turned out just under 1 mm, which is about 2-3 times as big as I typically allow for. As for the sidewalls-taking-shape-each-on-its-own thing, there was also less of it. Tension uniformity is better too, -- that is, within my allowances for typical, new, box section, MTB rims. I guess the second rim was slightly truer by itself. BTW, I like Sapim Race spokes better than DT Competition.
    What tread pattern does it take to maintain grip on reality? Is a rubber queen enough?

How much does it weigh?
    I'll vouch for the Sapim spokes.. they're really nice, but hard to get in Canada

meow, meow.
    They aren't known around here, either. )

The small batch of 260 mm Sapim Races I used for that wheel has been bought from Tartybikes by another customer (at my advice) some time ago, who changed his mind since, so that he no longer needed 260 mm spokes.

Nuts
    Mine have held up fine so far. Are the pretty........ NOPE, but they get the job done for the price. I will run them through the rocks this summer and we will see.
    And I love beer!!

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth
    ER, What kind of handle bars are those?
    Steve, they are Sunline V-One. Pretty standard aluminum bar, but also pretty comfy. These are the 19mm rise version, and can be had up to 745 wide.