Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Thought I'd update here on the rigid fork to keep my stuff together.

So last week I got the Black Sheep Faith fork and put it on my bike on Friday. Saturday, wife and I go to the Rockburn Skills Park grand opening in Elkridge, Maryland to check it out.

I was doing a bit of pump-tracking, jumping and rock hopping, and the fork felt good. Fork clamps stayed nice and tight through it all. The tires were pumped a little high and landings were harsher than what I was used to with the Lefty, so I kept dropping the pressure all day until I finally got a flat about 3 hours in. Thankfully it wasn't when I was landing; instead, it poofed while standing around talking to people.

Sunday, we head to Fountainhead. BIG FUN because of all the air that you inevitably catch. Well, all that jumping around resulted in the fork loosening a few times, necessitating stopping to cinch everything up again. That was a little bit of a bummer.

I stopped by the bike shop today to buy a compression plug and cap for the bottom of the steerer to help squeeze the assembly together better and hopefully stop the fork's self-loosening tendencies.

With the close to 3lbs I lost off on the fork diet, it's hard to keep the front end down on the ground now!
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So is the Faith fork specially designed for your bike?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    So is the Faith fork specially designed for your bike?
    Yup.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Thought I'd update here on the rigid fork to keep my stuff together.

Like it. That looks like a proper mountain bike at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yup.
    Well, the whole package really is a thing of beauty. Much prefer the faith to the Lefty as far as looks go. My favorite custom bike since my last favorite custom bike.

mtbr member
    drevil, how does the faith fork compare to the jones truss?

genuine question, i know the jones v black sheep thing always becomes a can of worms on these forums...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    drevil, how does the faith fork compare to the jones truss?

genuine question, i know the jones v black sheep thing always becomes a can of worms on these forums...
    Welp, let me preface this by saying I've only had the Black Sheep Faith on for three rides, and I've had the Jones Truss for getting close to 4 years holding up the front of my SpaceFrame. I've never put the Truss on the Vertigo, or the Faith on the Jones.

The Faith fork has an aluminum steerer tube, while the Jones has an Enve carbon fiber steerer tube. I haven't taken a caliper to measure the diameter of the tubes/fork legs of each fork, but the Faith is visibly smaller. I didn't weigh the Truss when I recently took it off the frame, but the Faith and uncut steerer weighs ~908 grams (I've left it uncut, btw).

On ride 1 of the Faith (jump park, rockgarden, & pumptrack), it stayed tight. Ride 2 (lots of small jumps and dropoffs), it kept loosening. Ride 3 (urban, benches, stairs, and some singletrack), it stayed tight after I put on that bottom plug and cap. I hope that resolves it.

The Jones Truss has gotten loose less than a half dozen times in 3.5 years of all kinds of riding.

Comfort-wise, it's really hard to say. I have to ride the Faith more and I'd have to ride them back to back to be sure. Maybe someday, but I am borrowing the fat front wheel from the Truss to put on the Faith. Guess I gotta build another fatty front so I can rock them both at the same time...if I ever need to?

Both were made in the U.S. (my Truss by Merlin, but nowadays it's made overseas) and both have flawless welds and finishes. The dropouts and IS brake mount of the Faith are thinner. It is harder to put the wheel into the Faith because the O.L.D. is not wide enough (like 5mm too short), so I have to pull the fork open a little to get it in.

I think they both cost ~$1100.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Welp, let me preface this by saying I've only had the Black Sheep Faith on for three rides, and I've had the Jones Truss for getting close to 4 years holding up the front of my SpaceFrame. I've never put the Truss on the Vertigo, or the Faith on the Jones.

The Faith fork has an aluminum steerer tube, while the Jones has an Enve carbon fiber steerer tube. I haven't taken a caliper to measure the diameter of the tubes/fork legs of each fork, but the Faith is visibly smaller. I didn't weigh the Truss when I recently took it off the frame, but the Faith and uncut steerer weighs ~908 grams (I've left it uncut, btw).

On ride 1 of the Faith (jump park, rockgarden, & pumptrack), it stayed tight. Ride 2 (lots of small jumps and dropoffs), it kept loosening. Ride 3 (urban, benches, stairs, and some singletrack), it stayed tight after I put on that bottom plug and cap. I hope that resolves it.

The Jones Truss has gotten loose less than a half dozen times in 3.5 years of all kinds of riding.

Comfort-wise, it's really hard to say. I have to ride the Faith more and I'd have to ride them back to back to be sure. Maybe someday, but I am borrowing the fat front wheel from the Truss to put on the Faith. Guess I gotta build another fatty front so I can rock them both at the same time...if I ever need to?

Both were made in the U.S. (my Truss by Merlin, but nowadays it's made overseas) and both have flawless welds and finishes. The dropouts and IS brake mount of the Faith are thinner. It is harder to put the wheel into the Faith because the O.L.D. is not wide enough (like 5mm too short), so I have to pull the fork open a little to get it in.

I think they both cost ~$1100.
    How do you press the crown race onto the steerer tube? (Assuming you use a normal headset)

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    How do you press the crown race onto the steerer tube? (Assuming you use a normal headset)
    With these truss-style forks, there is no race to press on. The key thing to understand is that the steerer is free-floating, i.e., it can go as high up or down below the headtube as you want, as long as the two clamps of the fork and the stem have proper purchase of the steerer tube.

Instead of a bottom race, imagine two top cups: one on the top, and one flipped upside down and pressed into the bottom of the head tube. Both cups use top compression caps (or if using King, the "Griplock assembly", then you have to tighten the bottom fork clamp, compress the assembly with the top stem cap, tighten the top clamp, then tighten the stem.

To take apart, you loosen the bolts for the two fork clamps, then the stem, and just pull it all the way out. However, because the top headset caps have "wedge" tightening systems that get tighter as you compress them, pulling the steerer out is an exercise in itself

Last edited by Drevil; 06-06-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added picture

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    With these truss-style forks, there is no race to press on. The key thing to understand is that the steerer is free-floating, i.e., it can go as high up or down below the headtube as you want, as long as the two clamps of the fork and the stem have proper purchase of the steerer tube.

Instead of a bottom race, imagine two top cups: one on the top, and one flipped upside down and pressed into the bottom of the head tube. Both cups use top compression caps (or if using King, the "Griplock assembly", then you have to tighten the bottom fork clamp, compress the assembly with the top stem cap, tighten the top clamp, then tighten the stem.

To take apart, you loosen the bolts for the two fork clamps, then the stem, and just pull it all the way out. However, because the top headset caps have "wedge" tightening systems that get tighter as you compress them, pulling the steerer out is an exercise in itself
    Aha. Sounds like a clean solution. Does the presence of the clamps above and below cause any problems? Looks like you flipped your stem to the negative postion to compensate. Also, I'd guess that normal A-to-C measurements don't apply?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Aha. Sounds like a clean solution. Does the presence of the clamps above and below cause any problems? Looks like you flipped your stem to the negative postion to compensate. Also, I'd guess that normal A-to-C measurements don't apply?
    The bars are in a position I'm comfortable with (slightly lower than my saddle), so no, it's not a problem.

One of the cool things about this type of setup where there is no fixed position crown race is that you can change the A-C by moving headset spacers. The spacers are between the caps and the fork clamps, so moving spacers from the bottom to the top lowers the A-C and taking them from the top and putting them on the bottom increases A-C. Hopefully that makes sense? I'll see if I can find a pic or take one later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    One of the cool things about this type of setup where there is no fixed position crown race is that you can change the A-C by moving headset spacers. The spacers are between the caps and the fork clamps, so moving spacers from the bottom to the top lowers the A-C and taking them from the top and putting them on the bottom increases A-C. Hopefully that makes sense? I'll see if I can find a pic or take one later.
    I totally get how that would work, as long as you order your fork with extra space between the clamps and your headset stack. I assume that's something you can specify?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    For the Black Sheep, yes. For the Jones, I don't think so.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    In 29er mode, with Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tires, it weighs 24.36 lbs:

The chainstay length in this mode and gearing is 423mm. I can't slam the wheel all the way forward because the seatstay bridge and seat tube limit it a little, but if I ever had the urge, I can probably go more forward with a 2.2" tire since the Ardents seem taller and wider than other 2.3"- 2.4" tires I've had.