Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo View Post
    My god ... what are you trying to stop a tractor trailer?

Joking aside, I found 160 F& R way to weak for fat wheels. I'm running 180 F&R and its great. Maybe a bit more in the front like a new SLX/XT/XTR hydro and 180 rotor!
    This is jiving with my experience as well. I know I have 180s in my basement somewhere and will be replacing the 160s ASAP. If the stopping is still subpar, I may try hydros.

The only reason I'm always catching air is because my brakes aren't slowing me down!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    This is jiving with my experience as well. I know I have 180s in my basement somewhere and will be replacing the 160s ASAP. If the stopping is still subpar, I may try hydros.
    Careful, once you make the switch, you'll never look back.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    She's not totally done yet, but I'm enjoying her as the parts trickle in. XTR hydro brakes last night. Way better than the Avid Ultimate & BB-7 setup.

mtbr member
    She's not totally done yet, but I'm enjoying her as the parts trickle in. XTR hydro brakes last night. Way better than the Avid Ultimate & BB-7 setup.

Looks great RickyI The new XTR hydros have a lot of bite! I love mine and will be throwing a set on my Vertigo ... when she arrives ...
    Last edited by elgordo; 04-25-2012 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    back up them steps ya go........

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    back up them steps ya go........
    I can go up steps, but I think this set is way too long and steep to for me

mtbr member
    I can go up steps, but I think this set is way too long and steep to for me
    agreed way steep.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    So for the first time, I went to a really rocky (to me) trail yesterday on my fatty yesterday. It's the Frederick Watershed in Maryland, and offers some of the most tech riding within an hour of DC.

I'll be honest -- I'm worked over. I definitely need to figure out both tire pressure and shock pressure because I was bouncing around a bit. I didn't lower my tire pressures until the end because I desperately didn't want a flat. Huge mistake, and I'll try to run 'em softer from the start.

As expected, traction is INSANE. I could take my time coming down rock faces that were steep enough to have my arse skimming the rear tire while the front Nate kept it under control. Previously mentioned though, the high pressures would knock me off-line occasionally when going through a rock garden. I'm guessing I was at around 20psi, compared to my fat front Jones at around 11-12 psi. The Lefty made it easier to descend fast, thus I was scared of pinch flatting.

Unfortunately, I believe the increased weight makes a difference. I gain at least 8 lbs coming from my other rock-trailworthy bike. Guess I just have to stop getting fatter and start getting fitter

I wish we took more pics, but the group had a good flow going so we didn't stop to session too much. It's hard to tell because my fatbody is covering it up, but there's tech stuff behind me (and it got way more gnar-gnar ).

Any other DC-area fatties want to join me for a rocky ride up there some time soon? If'n you want to try my adventure yourself, here's the route I took:
    - Start at Hamburg Rd parking lot
    - Go South, and jump onto and descend Lawn Mower
    - Cross over to Rusted Bug
    - Head to Knuckle Buster
    - Turn right on Blue and descend as fast as you can
    - Turn right and go up to Enchanted Forest. Watch people crash on the rocks and laugh.
    - Descend Fishing Creek, go left, then right up "Fish Ladder" on the Blue trail
    - Right at the top, then left do insanely fun Super Sweet descent. Your hands should be locking up from squeezing the brakes too much at this point.
    - Do Rock Candy.
    - Turn right onto Gambrill Park rd
    - Left onto insanely hard Vandal trail.
    - Pop out onto fireroad, then ride to the shed at the bottom of Mountaindale.
    - Either cry because you have to turn around and climb 4 miles straight up to the car, or hop in a car waiting for you to shuttle you back up

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Looks like a gorgeous day.

Funny, I just did some comparison testing after putting the front end through it's paces on the new bike.

Rode a demo Pug I built up, so rigid. but a CUS Hundie with a Nate up front. Ran it about 9, maybe 10 psi. Was having a good time, ripped through a little rock garden, and CREAMED the rim. No idea how I didn't pinch flat, but I didn't. Took it at the speed I'd grown accustomed to over the last few weeks.

I weigh about 180 with gear, run my fork non volume reduced, about 150psi. 8.5 in the BFL.

Same trail, next time, just blasting through, no rock hit at all.

Go softer my friend, and perhaps increase your rebound damping to control bounce better =
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah! Looks like my kinda place - green, rocky & rooty. Rode Gambrill maybe 15 years ago and had a great time. Wish it was closer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I passed your group going out/back on Seneca Ridge Sat morning. Would have stopped to chat if at the trailhead or you weren't riding with 8 people. Not interested in holding so many people up so I just passed through catching a glance of the fat. Maybe another time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Nice jersey, awesome bike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Any other DC-area fatties want to join me for a rocky ride up there some time soon?
    "DC-area fatties". Right now I'm a DC-area fatty (body, not bike) who rides a 29er. I'm loving the pics of your bike and the areas around here that you're riding.

mtbr member
    SlimGoodbody.jpg
    Nice bibs!

Amazing bike. Great concept and beautiful execution by Sean.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I passed your group going out/back on Seneca Ridge Sat morning. Would have stopped to chat if at the trailhead or you weren't riding with 8 people. Not interested in holding so many people up so I just passed through catching a glance of the fat. Maybe another time.
    Thanks for props, folks. I love the variety and amount of trails that we have around the DC area.

BME, were you by yourself or with another group? If any of y'all see me on the trail, it'd be cool to meet you.

-ricky

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I will bring my fat bike out next time but I don't think I can do the shed on the fat. Not enough lungs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So I know one is not suppose to ask, but how much a master piece like this frame cost, man I can not stop thinking about it.