Results 1 to 47 of 47
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Ventana El Gordo

    I picked up my frame today and started to slowly put it together. I still have a few parts I am waiting for. The frame is a piece of art. I sure hate to get it dirty but I will. The welds are perfection and all the machined components are precise. The sliding dropouts are the best I have used to date.

    Ventana El Gordo-pic-1.jpgVentana El Gordo-pic-2.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,029
    By the looks of your garage, you have wayyy too much $$$!! haha.

    Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,988
    gorgeous frame, that thing is gonna look sweet when its done!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  4. #4
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,053
    I must say any Ventana i have seen is pretty schmick, going on the pics i have seen, the fatty is no different.... even nicer as i have a fetish for the fat ones
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    I really like the adjustable dropouts.

    Ventana El Gordo-pic-3.jpg

  6. #6
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,527
    Man one of these is tempting, not a true weight weenie but I like a light bike and I've heard these have a little bulk to em.

    That drop out get's me all warm and fuzzy inside.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    I am done for the day. Too much yard work and I would rather go for a ride along the lakeshore on the Moonie. In a few days, my fatless friends will new able to go riding me to places they couldn't ride before.

    Ventana El Gordo-pic-4.jpgVentana El Gordo-pic-5.jpg

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    A few questions for you...
    170 or 190 rear hub spacing?
    Is that a Beargrease or Bearpaw fork?
    What headset did you end up using?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    A few questions for you...
    170 or 190 rear hub spacing?
    Is that a Beargrease or Bearpaw fork?
    What headset did you end up using?
    170mm rear spacing (Paul hub).
    Beargrease aluminum fork.
    Chris King headset.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Thanks. Post up more pics of your build when finished.
    Placed my order for same frame/fork/headset yesterday.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Thanks. Post up more pics of your build when finished.
    Placed my order for same frame/fork/headset yesterday.
    Word of caution on the Beargrease Aluminum Fork. It is spec'd as a 9X1 with front disc brake spacing. This is not correct. It is really a 10X1 with rear disc brake spacing. Universal did correct their website data but it seems everyone else has the incorrect specifications posted.

    Fortunely, I build my own wheels so this was not a big deal.

    PS. You will need to special order from a King dealer the headset since the configuration you will need is not a "stock" King item. Ventana has the King Headsets that will work.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Thx. My local shop ordered all three components directly from Ventana.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Word of caution on the Beargrease Aluminum Fork. It is spec'd as a 9X1 with front disc brake spacing. This is not correct. It is really a 10X1 with rear disc brake spacing.
    What kind of front hub are you using?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    What kind of front hub are you using?
    I was going to use one of my Jones hubs but I am now using a Salsa Enabler.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    I plan on using an existing set of 616 hubs (Fat | Six 1 Six Bicycle Fabrication). Hopeful, after reading Tripower's comments, that I don't have any fitment issues. We shall see...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    359

    Ventana El Gordo

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I picked up my frame today and started to slowly put it together. I still have a few parts I am waiting for. The frame is a piece of art. I sure hate to get it dirty but I will. The welds are perfection and all the machined components are precise. The sliding dropouts are the best I have used to date.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 1.jpg 
Views:	1382 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	866482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 2.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	866481
    Great looking Bike frame! Ventana stuff always looks so good...

    Off topic: I guess I know where your screen name comes from now L-89?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    942
    The Beargrease fork is 10x1 rear disc spacing as you found out, Salsa always claimed it that way. The Bearpaw fork is 9x1 Front disc spacing. The Bearpaw is also 15mm longer axel to crown, another 2014 update. They switched to the proper front spacing on all 2014 product.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Word of caution on the Beargrease Aluminum Fork. It is spec'd as a 9X1 with front disc brake spacing. This is not correct. It is really a 10X1 with rear disc brake spacing. Universal did correct their website data but it seems everyone else has the incorrect specifications posted.

    Fortunely, I build my own wheels so this was not a big deal.

    PS. You will need to special order from a King dealer the headset since the configuration you will need is not a "stock" King item. Ventana has the King Headsets that will work.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    The Beargrease fork is 10x1 rear disc spacing as you found out, Salsa always claimed it that way. The Bearpaw fork is 9x1 Front disc spacing. The Bearpaw is also 15mm longer axel to crown, another 2014 update. They switched to the proper front spacing on all 2014 product.
    Here is what is being used by all of the retailers of this fork.

    all about the
    Salsa 2013 Beargrease Fork Black
    Axle to Crown Length (mm): 468 mm
    Brake Type: Disc
    Brake Usage F/R: Front
    Color: Black
    Crown Race: 39.7
    Defined Color: Black
    Fork Rake (mm): 45 mm
    Front Axle Type: 9x1
    Front Hub Spacing (mm): 135 mm
    Material: Aluminum
    S.H.I.S. Clamp Diameter: 28.6
    Steerer Tube Length (mm): 260 mm
    Steerer Type: Tapered
    Weight (g): 724 g
    Wheel Mount Center Offset (mm): 0 mm
    Wheel Size: 26" , 29er

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by toastr View Post
    great looking bike frame! Ventana stuff always looks so good...

    Off topic: I guess i know where your screen name comes from now l-89?
    l-68

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Almost Done

    Been a little busy lately but I am very close to being finished. I still need to lace up the front wheel using the Enabler hub. Probably won't have time to do this until Monday evening.

    Ventana El Gordo-pic-f.jpgVentana El Gordo-pic-.jpgVentana El Gordo-pic-b.jpgVentana El Gordo-pic-c.jpgVentana El Gordo-pic-d.jpgVentana El Gordo-pin-e.jpg

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Any thoughts on those extra long Jones bars?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Any thoughts on those extra long Jones bars?
    I haven't had the chance to really ride it. Just a few laps around the garage. I do like the feel of the extra width but a trail ride will be needed.

    I have the normal width Jones bars on most of my bikes and really like them.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    942
    I can see where the confusion come's in. The "Brake Usage F/R: Front" refers to the mount not the spacing. That is the same information they use for the new forks as well but they are clearly front spacing. One of the reasons they ( Salsa)went to front disc spacing is because with suspension and through axels on the horizon they need hub compatibility.

    Your bike is coming together nicely. Did you have to pay extra for 170 short fork?

    Steven

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Here is what is being used by all of the retailers of this fork.

    all about the
    Salsa 2013 Beargrease Fork Black
    Axle to Crown Length (mm): 468 mm
    Brake Type: Disc
    Brake Usage F/R: Front
    Color: Black
    Crown Race: 39.7
    Defined Color: Black
    Fork Rake (mm): 45 mm
    Front Axle Type: 9x1
    Front Hub Spacing (mm): 135 mm
    Material: Aluminum
    S.H.I.S. Clamp Diameter: 28.6
    Steerer Tube Length (mm): 260 mm
    Steerer Type: Tapered
    Weight (g): 724 g
    Wheel Mount Center Offset (mm): 0 mm
    Wheel Size: 26" , 29er
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Ventana El Gordo

    What threw me was the "1X9". I assumed it meant it was a front space disc. No biggie.

    I am not too sure what you mean by "170 short fork".

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    942
    Sorry for not being clearer. The Ventana website list the stock El Gordo has having 190mm rear spacing and fork axel to crown of 483mm. It list an option to go with 170mm rear hub and 468mm fork length. Since you have the 170mm spacing and the Beargrease fork I presume you have that option and I was curious if it was a free option or a minor up charge. Mostly just idle curiosity. I like 170mm spacing.

    Thanks,
    Steven

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    What threw me was the "1X9". I assumed it meant it was a front space disc. No biggie.

    I am not too sure what you mean by "170 short fork".
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Ventana El Gordo

    Same price. You just have to let them know what you want. I also like the 170mm rear. More hub options and less chance of hitting hour heals on the stays.

  27. #27
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,527
    I haven't taken an exact count but the more hub options for 170 is not going to be a viable argument soon if it isn't already.

    Of coarse that being said it really doesn't matter to me ones choice.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    942
    Thanks. Ventana gets big props from me for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Same price. You just have to let them know what you want. I also like the 170mm rear. More hub options and less chance of hitting hour heals on the stays.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

  29. #29
    dvn
    dvn is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    710
    Can I ask the cost of this frame?
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Can I ask the cost of this frame?
    $1150

  31. #31
    Monkey
    Reputation: Jozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    $1150
    Is there a "no fork" option?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Ventana El Gordo

    It doesn't come with a fork.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    942
    My guess is $1150 would be frame only. That is a very good deal for a frame with sliding dropouts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    Is there a "no fork" option?
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Tripower... are your cranks optimized for 190 or 170mm rear spacing?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Ventana El Gordo

    I am using the Moonlander OD crankset with spacers on the 33t ring to give me a better chainline. I am not using the granny gear.

    I am not too sure if this answers your question or not. Let me know if you need any additional information or photos of the setup.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Thanks. I am in the process of ordering a crankset for this frame (I ordered the 170 rear hub spacing El Gordo).
    I do plan on running 3 rings up front. On Marge Lites and Bud/Lou tires.
    I am on the fence as to which cranks I should get:
    1) 175mm Arms, 120mm BB, optimized for 190mm rear spacing
    2) 175mm Arms, 100mm BB, optimized for 170mm rear spacing

  37. #37
    Missouri sucks...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    I am done for the day. Too much yard work and I would rather go for a ride along the lakeshore on the Moonie. In a few days, my fatless friends will new able to go riding me to places they couldn't ride before.
    Can I be your friend??? I have a fatty but I want to ride yours

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Ventana El Gordo

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    Thanks. I am in the process of ordering a crankset for this frame (I ordered the 170 rear hub spacing El Gordo).
    I do plan on running 3 rings up front. On Marge Lites and Bud/Lou tires.
    I am on the fence as to which cranks I should get:
    1) 175mm Arms, 120mm BB, optimized for 190mm rear spacing
    2) 175mm Arms, 100mm BB, optimized for 170mm rear spacing
    I use the 170mm arms on all of my bikes. I do not believe the 120mm BB will work. The El Gordo BB spacing is 100mm.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    479
    Great. Thanks again for your advice/feedback.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nwmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,164
    Bacon...if you go with the RF Turbine for 170 rear end you will probably have to truncate the rear cassette down a few cogs. To access the full range of gears that you're after you'll probably want the RF Turbine for 190mm or also Surly MWOD should net the chainline you'll need.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555

    Ventana El Gordo

    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb View Post
    Bacon...if you go with the RF Turbine for 170 rear end you will probably have to truncate the rear cassette down a few cogs. To access the full range of gears that you're after you'll probably want the RF Turbine for 190mm or also Surly MWOD should net the chainline you'll need.
    The Surly MWOD might be a little hard to find. It has been replaced by the OD.

    You are correct about truncating the cassette. You can run a 1X10 with the 170mm rear hub and the Moonlander OD with no issues. If you run a triple, you will want to run a 190mm rear hub. Of course, this is all based on running RD's with Surly Bud and Lous.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ramjm_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,116
    Love that color!

  43. #43
    the new Gilbert Grape
    Reputation: laffeaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,761
    On Thursday-Friday of last week southwestern Idaho was blanketed beneath 8-9 inches of fresh powder. That meant that over the weekend I was able to get the fat bike out for a couple of nice rides in the fresh snow.

    On Saturday I rode for nearly 2 hours but only managed to cover 10 miles. Although the bike rode well on packed snow, it (or I) was a bit overwhelmed by the deep powder. Particularly on the climbs the bike was going nowhere in the powder. The trails that I was riding as seen some use, but not a lot, so there was a narrow 8-10 inch wide path where hikers has packed down the trail. Outside of that narrow path I had issues.

    Sunday was much better. I covered 16 miles in 2.5 hours. The trails were in much better shape - more people had packed them down and the trail was much wider (in most places).

    This is an early snow for us. I wasn't expecting to be riding the fat bike in snow quite so early in the season. I was riding in shorts a week ago.

    Here's a couple of pics from the ride. The first is the obligatory bike shot from Sunday, and the second is a look back down the trail on Saturday. The skies were blue and sunny but the temps were around 15-17 F.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ventana El Gordo-wp_001336.jpg  

    Ventana El Gordo-wp_001332.jpg  

    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Been a little busy lately but I am very close to being finished. I still need to lace up the front wheel using the Enabler hub. Probably won't have time to do this until Monday evening.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic F.jpg 
Views:	1911 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	868245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic A.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	868246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic B.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	868247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic C.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	868248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic D.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	868249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pin E.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	868251
    Hi, maybe I missed, but what frame size is your bike? and how tall are you?

    I'm debating between an M and L frame

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tripower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavi Paricio View Post
    Hi, maybe I missed, but what frame size is your bike? and how tall are you?

    I'm debating between an M and L frame
    I am 6' 0" with a 32" inseam. I have a large El Gordo with a 120mm Bluto and have plenty of standover..

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the feedback Tripower, I guess I'm just in between a 17" an a 19", they have custom frames, but this will be really expensive ....

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,220
    Looking for a large El Gordo frame, anyone? Might be interested in a complete depending on build... and price

Similar Threads

  1. Gordo, you were born too soon.
    By canyonrat in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 10:40 PM
  2. 48h 26" Gordo X where to get some?
    By jamesabaldwin in forum Salsa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 07:12 AM
  3. Just came out of Cerro Gordo trail in PR
    By kevingp in forum Other Areas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 05:42 AM
  4. Ardent 2.3 or 2.4 + Gordo + Dos Niner?
    By Crockpot2001 in forum Salsa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM
  5. Gordo 29'er
    By rodeoroll in forum Salsa
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 06:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •