Thread: Vee rubber vee8

Wizard of the Trail

Vee rubber vee8

I have been looking to pick up 2 vee8 tires in 120 tpi. Anyone like or dislike these tires? Do they self steer like the devist8ers? If you reply, let us know what width rim your running it on and tpi. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Yes, they self steer. They have a pretty square profile. Don't like 'em in the front.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got one in use out back, Large Marge rim (65mm) - 120tpi.

I actually think the profile is rather round, IMO. When leaning over into a turn on pavement, they transition super smoothly, something you don't get with a more square profile.

It's definitely a great rear tire. Up front, the self-steer is quite dependent on air pressure.

FWIW, they self-steer just about the same as my 27tpi Larry's when running equal pressures.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Wizard of the Trail

Vee rubber vee8

Drew, what width rim?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    65, Marges. Larry / Nate / Floater all appear rounder and behave "more better" in front.

Again, no complaints about the rear.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Wizard of the Trail

Vee rubber vee8

Thanks jc. What pressures are you running them at? My friend and I were talking about this for awhile. We both have Nates and they are a great tire. I am looking for a fast rolling dry condition tire for summer though. Anyway, I am under the impression that maybe self steer is caused more by tires that have more surface area on the trail. Nates have huge tall knobbies, plus they are swiped. IMHO, they are not hugging the ground as much as a devist8er would. I am using the devist8er as an example because its made by vee rubber and they only other tire I have used besides the Nate. Anyway, the devist8er knobbies are small and short, giving the tire greater contact on the ground. This may or may not be causing self steer. It could be the heavy casing too. Anyway, just a thought.

Wizard of the Trail

Vee rubber vee8

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    65, Marges. Larry / Nate / Floater all appear rounder and behave "more better" in front.

Again, no complaints about the rear.
    Thanks for the input. With all these new fatbikes coming out sporting vee rubber tires, there will be much disappointment among newbies that never used any other tire. As soon as I got my devist8ers mounted, I knew right away that they suck on the front.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Thanks jc. What pressures are you running them at? My friend and I were talking about this for awhile. We both have Nates and they are a great tire. I am looking for a fast rolling dry condition tire for summer though. Anyway, I am under the impression that maybe self steer is caused more by tires that have more surface area on the trail. Nates have huge tall knobbies, plus they are swiped. IMHO, they are not hugging the ground as much as a devist8er would. I am using the devist8er as an example because its made by vee rubber and they only other tire I have used besides the Nate. Anyway, the devist8er knobbies are small and short, giving the tire greater contact on the ground. This may or may not be causing self steer. It could be the heavy casing too. Anyway, just a thought.

On road I run them at 18psi, offroad in summer, 8-10, depending on conditions.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

be1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I had 27 tpi knards front and back. 1720 grams each. I wanted to try a lighter tire and the vee 8 was cheap. 1430 grams +/- each. Yes. Self steer for sure. Knards - not much if any. Tried the front vee 8 backwards. Slowed the bike down to a crawl. Not good at all. Now I have vee8 on back and knard on the front. Much better. I can put the knard at a much lower pressure than the vee8 and get good reslts. Self steer is all but gone, and overall speed and handling is much improved. I May go back to knard on back. Eventually I will try ultralight knard or maybe ultralight larry just for kicks.

I found out that it's not necessarily weight that matters. Tread design is one place that really makes a difference.

Setup = xl 907,marge lite rims, 135mm offset rear, carver carbon obeast fork

Wizard of the Trail

Vee rubber vee8

I ended buying two knards 27tpi on sale. Not much weight loss between them and the Nates, but they roll so much better.