Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Good job! Vee Rubber - Vee 8

Ordered quite some time ago from Jenson USA, delivered yesterday. At $60/ea, they're quite a "deal" for 26x4.0 tires. It was a great present heading into the weekend. I only was able to get them out of the box last night and they looked sharp. As the early reviews around the interweb state, the knobs are pretty small and looked to be geared toward speed rather than traction. I don't have a scale to weigh them, sorry.

Installed on the Necro Pug with Rolling Darryls this morning as well as my wife's "regular" Pug with Marge Lite's. Easy to mount with a toob that had quite a bit of air in it already.

I pumped the Necro up to about 15 and took it for a short spin. These things are FAST on pavement. They're also much quieter than the Larry/Endo I had been running on pavement and hardpack. I cruised for a while without hands on the bar and they didn't seem to want to wander. I found a park with some grass, a ball field, mulch, and a short section of single-track. It's dry here today and they performed well during the short test. They maintained some grip as I was twisting and turning in multiple attempts to wipe out.

Color me impressed! I'll head out in the rain tomorrow to see how that goes and then I'll head onto some more single and double-track during the week to put them through the paces. These could be a really good, inexpensive summer tire!

Vee Rubber - Vee 8-vee8-fat-tires.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    how tall are they on your RD? Ive got a set of on-one floaters coming but was looking at these purely due to pricing and the fact that here in hawaii id be riding on pavement to get to adventure spots so aggressive thread isnt really needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    looking forward to your review on the trails.
    I am still running my stock Larry up front and a knard on the rear of my necro.

Would love to hear what you think of those up front on dry trails?

Vee Rubber - Vee 8-img_0109.jpg

Dirt Huffer
    How does the volume and size compare to the larry/endo's?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I look forward to your trail report. Have been considering these for summer use but had a bad experience with Vee Rubbers Devistators in terms of self steering. I am also thinking about running one in the rear and leaving the Nate up front. Terrain is NEPA, rocky and rooty single track.

Have you run these at 8-10 lbs of pressure yet? How much do they weigh? Comfort level compared to other fat tires that you have run? The website at one point was claiming 1400 grams which is very light for the price ratio. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

A couple more pics

Here are a couple of other pics to give you an idea of the profile and width with about 12-15 psi.

Vee Rubber - Vee 8-img_1578.jpgVee Rubber - Vee 8-img_1581.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I didn't have a scale handy to weigh them before install, sorry.

I'll let you know what I think as I get some more time to experiment with surfaces and pressure. It's raining like hell here in Mpls today so I know the trails will be closed until at least tomorrow or Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice. When did these come on the market?

mtbr member

=========
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

gumbies need lovin' too
    Just a word of warning....Got mine in the mail yesterday and although the Jenson website lists them as 120tpi, they are 60tpi. But according to fatbike.com the 120tpi was supposed to go for $80, so maybe $60 for 60tpi isn't totally bad. It weighs in at 1480g. Have not mounted them up yet.

Dirt Huffer
    Is anyone else selling these tires other then Jenson?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Is anyone else selling these tires other then Jenson?
    Any bike shop with a J&B Importers account should be able to get them.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess there is or will be two versions: 120tpi and 60tpi?
    The pictures on Fat-bike.com clearly show a 120tpi decal on the sidewall
    Jensonusa website showa them as 120tpi for $60, but apparently they are the 60tpi????

to make things even more unclear:
    VRB-332(Vee8) ยป Veerubber

the text says 120tpi, and the chart at the bottom says 60tpi

get down!
    I just picked some up from Universal with a 10% off code and 2.99 shipping. Came to 112 or so, shipped for a pair. Cheaper than my Bud tire alone!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got them out yesterday on a crushed limestone and crushed granite rail-to-trail. I went just over 60 miles and they were a very nice ride. I also took some detours into the woods on singletrack and they did a nice job of providing a confident footprint, even when they were pumped up to about 15psi. Also spend a few miles on a loose gravel roads with some washboard sections and they did a nice job there as well.

Especially for the price, I'm impressed. IF it ever stops raining up here, I'll get onto some proper singletrack trails for some loops to give them a whirl. Unfortunately it's raining again today and by the time trails dry out for the weekend, it's supposed to rain again.

Also, as other posts mentioned, they are 60tpi whereas they are advertised as 120. I'm just out having fun and they seem to get the job done for a good price. Others may be more sensitive to the difference but I'm not sure if I would know one vs. the other.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good to hear the positive results. If you don't mind, I am wondering about your riding weight all geared up? I go about 230ish and my friend believes that bigger riders are better off sticking with the cheaper 27tpi tires (although in this case obviously, these ARE the cheaper tires even though they are the higher TPI!!!)

I am still curious if you have noticed any self steering? Some of the other Vee models such as the Devastators have some strange steering "features" at lower pressures such as 8 pounds and less. No matter what though I am happy to see more tire competition on the market. Thanks

move on up...
    Got a pair of these yesterday,
    when I ordered these from Jenson they were listed as 120 tpi so I called them and they took 20 bucks off , I thought wow good deal! So I mounted them up and aired them to 12 psi. I weigh 160 without gear.

It was raining off and on here so my first test ride was on the road where I thought that these spun up pretty quick compared to the Nate/Bud combo I had been running all winter. I did notice that there seem to be some quirky feeling in the front tire almost like it wanted to pull to the right when I had both hands on the bars. When I would ride no handed it seemed to track straight? The back tire seems to have a slight lump in it that I bet will work it self out. I will edit this when I get to ride some more varied terrain in the coming week, but so far for the money they seem like they will work well for my intended purposes.

On Rolling Darryls the casing measured 3.84 and to the side of the knobbies was 3.43. I didn't have a scale but they felt close to the same weight as the nate 120tpi.
    Last edited by Forged1; 06-15-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: photo link

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    There are a handful left on Universal Cycles. There were 16 when I ordered yesterday, sorry, forgot to post at the time. Universal Cycles -- Vee Rubber Vee 8 Fat Bike Tire
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Vee Rubber - Vee 8

Could they make the sidewall graphics any lamer?

Also, the tread should wrap around the tire a bit more.

get down!
    They don't give happy endings either. What gives Vee Rubber?

Sheesh.

get down!
    Just got my tires in from Universal and they are 120 tpi!

Stoked.

1463 grams for one.

1365 for the other one.

Huge difference but I guess I'll put the light one on the front.

move on up...
    I am curious to hear if yours have any self steer characteristics?
    I have ridden mine 30 miles or so and took them out to one of our local multi user crushed limestone trails yesterday, I started out at 12 psi and went down to 9 and the self steering feeling became worse. It wants to make a right turn all the time. I will try switching the front to back and see if the back one steers any better for now. Anybody with any other suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Just got my tires in from Universal and they are 120 tpi!

Stoked.

1463 grams for one.

Anybody with any other suggestions?

1365 for the other one.

Huge difference but I guess I'll put the light one on the front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    [QUOTE=Forged1;10474156]I am curious to hear if yours have any self steer characteristics?
    I have ridden mine 30 miles or so and took them out to one of our local multi user crushed limestone trails yesterday, I started out at 12 psi and went down to 9 and the self steering feeling became worse. It wants to make a right turn all the time. I will try switching the front to back and see if the back one steers any better for now. Anybody with any other suggestions?[/QUOTI E]

Actually I am watching this thread carefully due to past experiences with Origin 8 Devastators (made by Vee Rubber) that had alarming self steering at even 8 pounds up front. My friend and I had to take them to 10 pounds up front just to get rid of the annoying self steering characteristics. To Vee's credit, the tires (referring to the Devastators) were/are virtually indestructible and actually worked great on rocky single track. But if we tried running them at lower pressures the squarish profile (we are assuming) would sometimes "catch and follow an edge" and it was unnerving at best. I don't understand them pulling to one side though. That is odd. In our case it hinge on catching a rut edge and then the tire seeming to "lock on".
    I think this may be a more common characteristic of fat tires in that I have seen it mentioned occasionally about knards and larrys for that matter. All when running lower pressures. I may end up sticking with the nates. They will self steer also but I have only noticed it on pavement and have not noticed it on rutted single track. Perhaps I will pick up one Vee 8 and that way I can run it on the back if it doesn't work out on the front. i was hoping to find a lightweight summer tire set to prevent wearing down the Nates. IIRC, they are also rated for tubeless which would be a nice feature as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Could they make the sidewall graphics any lamer?

Also, the tread should wrap around the tire a bit more.
    This. Wonder how they hook up in corners.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast